• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 7 is an Xbox Play Anywhere title (Buy once, play on PC and X1)

Zedox

cfe.gif

3rd party support is vital to this initiative. I'm sure Capcom looked at the sales of Dead Rising 4, and didn't like the numbers, so they are going to compare it to these numbers (number of digital downloads of RE7) and the timing of those preorders/sales. I'm hoping that it does really well so that other 3rd parties do the same.

I'm just looking at sports titles like Madden, NBA2K, etc...I just hope it continues...and I also hope that after those sales (provided it is good) that Capcom goes back and makes DR4 Play Anywhere...it really doesn't hurt anyone right now.

I do find this thread funny, PC buyers like "nah fuck that, Steam, modding, cheaper (best reason imo)", then PS4 buyers like "nah fuck that, PSVR", then Xbox buyers are like "Ah cool, 2 copies". This will be very interesting for the PS4 side when Scorpio comes out (dependent on sales). PC will always have best performance.

Algebrah

Since I am playing this primarily on PC, there is no way in hell I am dealing with the Windows store shanigans even it if RE7 were 50%. I learned from my experience with Forza Horizon 3.

madjoki

Pay $60 for the Windows 10/Xbox version or $33-47 for the Steam version.

In Europe it's like 28€ (PC physical steam key) vs 70€

And console version is like 48€, so it's like 76€ for buying both, with added benefit of being able to wait for sales for either version or trade in console version.

Although you'll miss on being able to use same save.

Whoa, more third-party titles need to do this.

Hope it performs well on PC.

Steam Demo works extremely well, no problems at all.

I'm glad that Microsoft is courting 3rd parties to do this. However, since I no longer own an Xbox One, RE7 is a 3rd party game and on Steam, I will be going with the Steam version. I want to be able to mod the game and do not like the current UWP restrictions.

Granjinha

Right, but I'm saying that VR support is questionable.
Vive is Valve's baby so I doubt any Vive titles will be supported in a Window's Store product. Oculus perhaps, but we haven't seen any VR titles in the Windows 10 Store yet to my knowledge, have we?

Valve is all for options so i doubt they would exclude any options

cripterion

XB1/PC (MS Store) or PS4/VR.

Your choice.

Or get the game on Steam/Origin and don't fuck with the Windows store.

I mean it is nice getting the Xbox one version as well as the pc but why would I want to play it on Xbox if I got a decent pc? Having to suffer through the W10 store isn't worth the hassle.

Or get the game on Steam/Origin and don't fuck with the Windows store.

I mean it is nice getting the Xbox one version as well as the pc but why would I want to play it on Xbox if I got a decent pc?
Well you could want to play in a different room. Or want to sit on a couch. Or someone could be using your pc. Or you want to play it on a bigger screen. Plenty of reasons.

Haven't had one issue with the windows store but for these type of things I'd choose the steam version just because I can tinker with the files and run my msi afterburner overhead on it.

Not to mention it's far far cheaper buying a key that works on steam.

Still, it's really cool for those that have a xbox one and a pc who wants their achievements.

Gowans

That's a surprise, I'm a big fan of PA for my setup. Xbox downstairs & beast PC in my office. Dunno if I'm in on Resi 7 tho, need to play the demo.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
This is nice - now I hope that this means Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite gets the same treatment as well.

Zero interest in RE7, but I like the movement.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
If I didn't have a pro and a 4k tv id do the same. Plus I've been on a binge for trophies.

I'm buying a Pro in March, but I'll also be getting a Scorpio.

So for me, it's still smarter to buy on Xbox as I'll be getting a free PC version to play on my Alienware with a 1060 and then I can play in 4K on Scorpio at the end of the year when I get a 4K TV. But in the end, I won't be buying the game until the end of the year when it's on sale.

So, how long until:

- Every Xbox game going forward is play anywhere?
- Ms ports the xbone OS to windows and offers all non uwp xbone games to the windows store as well? (Including 360 BC of course)?

Imo, they are both inevitable (or at least should be if Ms is serious about making the best eco system they could possible make)

Zedox

This is nice - now I hope that this means Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite gets the same treatment as well.

Zero interest in RE7, but I like the movement.

That would be a megaton in my eyes. Would be a great announcement for E3 for MS. They really just need to get the Store and UWP up to snuff (which they are obviously working on). I know I'm getting MvC:I for Xbox One, but getting it on PC for da fray would be icing on the cake.

So, how long until:

- Every Xbox game going forward is play anywhere?
- Ms ports the xbone OS to windows and offers all non uwp xbone games to the windows store as well? (Including 360 BC of course)?

Imo, they are both inevitable (or at least should be if Ms is serious about making the best eco system they could possible make)

I doubt every game will be at this point, you could basically just think that if they can get 3rd parties on board that it will just become the norm (hopefully) as to get more games on PC. It becoming the norm is the success for Microsoft, but they have to keep courting 3rd party devs.

MS isn't porting the Xbox OS to Windows...they are making an adaptive shell for it though...Windows Central has an article on it that was released today. So we may get "big picture mode" but it would be akin to tablet mode in Windows 10 now. They are making a shell that adapts to the form factor...It's going to happen over the next major releases (plural) of Windows 10...I believe it will start with Mobile with Redstone 3 in the fall

pr0cs

Awesome!

Bought Gears 4 and Forza Horizon 3 for the double copies...not the biggest RE fan but more cross platform games is always a good thing

Zedox

I hope that there are people who are getting it on Windows 10 also having Windows 10 PCs in the latest insider programs to try out Game Mode (when it is enabled). That's going to be some interesting tests. I'm looking forward to that information.

renzolama

I like the idea, and I'm not averse to buying on the windows store (even though I acknowledge that it's an absolute shitshow if you have to change your installation in any way), but I have to admit that I'm worried about the uwp performance vs the standard x64 steam binary. That steam demo ran silky smooth and looked beautiful, and I'd hate to lose that big PC incentive by paying for an inferior windows store version. I'll be eagerly awaiting some performance analysis before I make my purchase.

SOR5

I hope that there are people who are getting it on Windows 10 also having Windows 10 PCs in the latest insider programs to try out Game Mode (when it is enabled). That's going to be some interesting tests. I'm looking forward to that information.

Watch there be an article about how it shuts down anti-virus processes in the background and it makes your computer vulnerable to hackers or something

Tarrin

Cool news.

Still getting it on PS4 or Steam (undecided) since I still run Windows 7. Windows 10 killed my last PC; only upgrading from 7 if I absolutely have to.

GravyButt

Silly question because ive never actually done it before but say gears 4 or Forza horizon 3. Ive played a lot on the xb1. If I played the pc version would my save be compatible? Like I could continue my save on pc? Play there a few hours. Then pick back up on xb1 the next day? Or nah doesn't work that way? Thanks!

SOR5

Silly question because ive never actually done it before but say gears 4 or Forza horizon 3. Ive played a lot on the xb1. If I played the pc version would my save be compatible? Like I could continue my save on pc? Play there a few hours. Then pick back up on xb1 the next day? Or nah doesn't work that way? Thanks!

That's how it should work, it uses cloud saves

cripterion

Well you could want to play in a different room. Or want to sit on a couch. Or someone could be using your pc. Or you want to play it on a bigger screen. Plenty of reasons.

Don't get me wrong, this would be rad for a MP title like Gears if you can co op on both the Xbox and the pc with one license, for this title though... I'll take the superior experience without the shitty restrictive store any day of the week. Comfy couch be damned lol

Top Bottom