• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 7, Monster Hunter XX, and Dead Rising 4 all below Capcom's expectations

DVCY201

I think the lack of returning characters and an insignificant story hurt RE7 too. I know I was disappointed not to see any familiar characters, especially because there's sooo many to tap into

DR2K

Banned
SFV sees another 100k increase. That's good.

Resident Evil 7 is the wrong direction for the series. Had Capcom gone the loot box route and created an action game like Resident Evil 6, they wouldn't have to worry about making a profit.

Duxxy3

Much as I enjoyed the FPS experience in RE7, I think that approach will be a one off. I don't think it's back for RE8.

Dead Rising should take a long long vacation.

Capcom really needs to get back to being multiplatform. Lately they've been letting the hardware manufacturers dictate what they can make and where.

Kssio_Aug

Regarding Dead Rising 4, I for one can say that I changed my decision from "must-buy" to "maybe when I find it at very cheap price" the moment they announced it would not have co-op in the campaign mode. Also I was disappointed of how little it seemed to have improved compared to Dead Rising 3, which makes the lack of such a feature a even bigger mistake.

I think the lack of returning characters and an insignificant story hurt RE7 too. I know I was disappointed not to see any familiar characters, especially because there's sooo many to tap into

Topped of with a faceless generic, literally the least interesting/developed player character of the series.

zMiiChy-

Banned
Please stop making Monster Hunter 3DS exclusive.
At least bring it to the Switch FFS.

I don't feel anything towards Resident Evil 7 - it's basically a Silent Hill game that I never wanted.

Maybe if it was multiplat Dead Rising could have hit 2M. But Xbox only lol! They crazy.

Also 3.5 for RE7 is quite good. Good for them. It is a fantastic game!

Topped of with a faceless generic, literally the least interesting/developed player character of the series.
Yeah, I kind of expected way more from Ethan. Sure he gets a couple one liners but overall he's so lifeless and dull. Hell, even Mia is more interesting than him.

At least we get the Bakers to save the show.

Jawmuncher

The only issue is I know for me personally, I can't imagine any of the current cast going back to a situation like RE7. Can you imagine Chris being stuck in the baker house? He would be throwing jack around like it was a joke. It's the same deal with leon as well. The main cast are hero characters at this point and can't really work into a horror game again. Even claire in Rev 2 is doing more than anything ethan had to bother with. Capcom apparently thinks the same with the action focus and punching coming back for the Not a Hero DLC.

ethomaz

Banned
That's irrelevant.

RE7 is a very new take on the series so you can't blame the old formula when those games sold well and continue to sell well.
Capcom blame and decisions based in what RE6 delivered are irrelevant lol

Damage control is strong here...

Anung

Un Rama

Eh, I think they needed to go that route if RE7 is supposed to be credible as a horror game. Basically every mainline cast member from CVX onwards are unbelievable monster killing bad asses.

Wouldn't be against seeing Billy Cohen again, mind.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
I don't think anything hurt the game sales. It did as well as it possibly could as a SP only game in that genre.

Kssio_Aug

About Monster Hunter, I wish they bring it to PS4//XB1/PC. I have Monster Hunter 4 for 3DS, and it's a great game which I cannot get to play for long.

Such a game deserved two analogic sticks and a more comfortable joystick... playing it on 3DS is quite unconfrtable to me and seems to hurt / tire my wrists. = /

jrDev

If RE8 does go back to 3rd person I just hope they take what they learned from 7 and create a pretty rounded horror/ action experience.
This is all I need!

I fucking HATE first person. The only game I liked in first person was Metroid Prime...
About Monster Hunter, I wish they bring it to PS4//XB1/PC. I have Monster Hunter 4 for 3DS, and it's a great game which I cannot get to play for long.

Such a game deserved two analogic sticks and a more comfortable joystick... playing it on 3DS is quite unconfrtable to me and seems to hurt / tire my wrists. = /
I love how you conveniently left out Switch in your platform list lmfao...

I think capcom has a lot of bad rep these days due to people despising their big games like sfv, sfxtekken and the whole mvc3 and umvc3 each releasing so close to each other debacle. In recent memory re7 is the only Capcom game that received universal praise. So not surprised it's their only game that did well in sales even though it was 500k short.

BadWolf

Capcom blame and decisions based in what RE6 delivered are irrelevant lol

Damage control is strong here...

Whatever Capcom thinks is irrelevant when we have actual sales numbers to give us a picture of what's going on.

If you want to be ignorant then go ahead.

Kssio_Aug

This is all I need!

I fucking HATE first person. The only game I liked in first person was Metroid Prime...

I love how you conveniently left out Switch in your platform list lmfao...

I didn't "conveniently" left it out, I just forgot to add it mainly by the fact I don't own one yet. You should chill out. lol

Can you imagine Chris being stuck in the baker house? He would be throwing jack around like it was a joke.
tumblr_mf6zfb8LV11rwxonyo1_500.gif

I need that as DLC so bad.

Jack's ass trying hide and Chris Redfield comes busting through the wall to throw him around.

That's a bummer about RE7, but I hope they are confident in their direction for the franchise. It was really well received and I bet the next RE games will see a big boom because of it.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
Yea, I think it's safe to say that people want a new monster hunter and not one that looks rehashed in terms of visuals and maybe port it over to PS4 if you want more sales. Japan would go crazy and I'm sure if it's marketed correctly, America will eat it up as well.

Capcom has a treasure trove of franchises, if they want to make some profits, I think it's time they give fans what they want... DMC, Dino Crisis, Onimusha, traditional RE, etc.

DVCY201

The only issue is I know for me personally, I can't imagine any of the current cast going back to a situation like RE7. Can you imagine Chris being stuck in the baker house? He would be throwing jack around like it was a joke. It's the same deal with leon as well. The main cast are hero characters at this point and can't really work into a horror game again. Even claire in Rev 2 is doing more than anything ethan had to bother with. Capcom apparently thinks the same with the action focus and punching coming back for the Not a Hero DLC.

I think they could pull it off using Carlos, or Rebecca, or Billy. Characters that story wise haven't been seen in a while and have more horror possibilities than the current main line up. If they hadn't used Barry in Rev2, I'd think he'd be a good fit too especially with the family theme.

Jawmuncher

My prediction for the future of RE.

-RE2make will be something more akin to RE4 while trying to keep the spirit of the original RE2. I feel like they'll be aiming that more towards those who didn't get what they wanted out of RE6 or 7, while still offering something that can be more appealing to a larger group without going too far on one end.
-RE8 will be another change on the formula and probably be it's own thing. They said mainline is now for experimentation. So I wouldn't be surprised if they ditched or kept First Person and made something that stands on it's own, rather than needing to be compared to previous games (Kind of like how RE4 set it's own mark when it came out).
-Code Veronica X port by the REmake and Re0 team that will touch up the game more than what we got with the simple port on PS3 and 360 (Think more costumes, bonus modes, and a bit of an increase on graphics much like 0 had)

Then there will be numerous ports and other spin-offs of varying quality and styles

tumblr_mf6zfb8LV11rwxonyo1_500.gif

I need that as DLC so bad.

Jack's ass trying hide and Chris Redfield comes busting through the wall to throw him around.

That's what they should have put their DLC resources into. A What if scenario of that would be great.
Jack cowering in fear as chris hunts him down. I hope Capcom takes denuvo off the game soon so people can start modding.
It'll be funny to see this sort of thing with model swaps alone.

I think they could pull it off using Carlos, or Rebecca, or Billy. Characters that story wise haven't been seen in a while and have more horror possibilities than the current main line up. If they hadn't used Barry in Rev2, I'd think he'd be a good fit too especially with the family theme.

That would definitely be the best case scenario of classic characters returning and still keeping a horror focus.

Resident Evil 5 and 6 were dropped across different platforms and different gens. Both of them enjoyed cross-platform releases. Resident Evil 7 will get there after similar treatment (PS5 + Scorpio re-release).

I just realized

12 Jan 2017 RESIDENT EVIL 7 biohazard PS4/Xbox 360/PC/DL 3.5

Since when is RE7 on Xbox 360? Does Capcom don't consider Xbox One as a new platform? :p

My prediction for the future of RE.

-RE2make will be something more akin to RE4 while trying to keep the spirit of the original RE2. I feel like they'll be aiming that more towards though who didn't get what they wanted out of Re6, while still offering something that can be more appealing to a larger group without going too far on one end.
-RE8 will be another change on the formula and probably be it's own thing. They said mainline is now for experimentation. So I wouldn't be surprised if they ditched or kept First Person and made something that stands on it's own, rather than needing to be compared to previous games (Kind of like how RE4 set it's own mark when it came out).
-Code Veronica X port by the REmake and Re0 team that will touch up the game more than what we got with the simple port on PS3 and 360 (Think more costumes, bonus modes, and a bit of an increase on graphics much like 0 had)

Then there will be numerous ports and other spin-offs of varying quality and styles
There is also Revelations 3, which is definitely coming since the last entry sold more than 2 million despite having an episodic structure.

I think in term of experimentation, they might go for a TPS/FPS hybrid for RE8.

BadWolf

It's not so much that the old leads didn't return but how much of a joke Ethan is as a character.

ethomaz

Banned
I just realized

Since when is RE7 on Xbox 360? Does Capcom don't consider Xbox One as a new platform? :p
It is probably the guy that translate the website didn't cares about games lol

Joking... the Japan one has 360 too... it was a mistake.

Xbox One is listed for others games.

Peroroncino

Surprised about RE7, I thought it did good. Though maybe now there's a chance they'll go back to previous formula and I'll be able to support the franchise with my money. :p

Feeroper

That sucks - I hope this doesn't mean they go back to balls out action resident evil. I think the horror style that they had initially and revisited in a modern tale with RE7 were the best.

Surprised SFV still hasn't hit that 2 million mark they forecasted in the first year - first impressions are a difficult thing to shake though, and shrugging off the casual fans was a mos step in that regard.

Jawmuncher

And two years ago they said that the mainline wouldn't be horror focused again, because Revelations would be the product for core fans.

Did they say that specifically? I recall it was just that at that point in time, that was the title they wanted to appeal to that crowd. Not that the mainline would never be horror again.

Did they say that specifically? I recall it was just that at that point in time, that was the title they wanted to appeal to that crowd. Not that the mainline would never be horror again.

I'm pretty sure there's interviews in which they've conveyed the general sentiment that only in a spinoff series they could do "what horror fans want" or something to that degree. And that one tidbit about RE8 certainly is even less concrete to contain any trustworthy hints.

Mr Croft

God no .

I loved 7 . Jack was perfect
You mean... Jake right? *guitar riff* Yea homie suplexes and tiger uppercuts!

Yea I still don't know why they went with this. The characters have always been fun in resident evil. Why they went with a faceless generic is beyond me.

3.5 is not bad considering the game is still full price right?

Pejo

Gold Member
I just hope this doesn't hurt MonHun's chances of finally making it off of a 240p screen. I don't care if it's Switch/PS4/PC/anything just let me play it on a big screen.

Also, sucks to hear that RE7 under-performed. I really really enjoyed my time with it.

Nutter

Even as somebody who really enjoyed DR3, 4 looked very bland and uninspiring. Xbox one and timed windows store exclusivity certainly didn't help.

Surprised to see MHXX didn't reach the goal seems like I'm not the only one who is sick of the 3DS and yearly content rehashing. I'm sure a full blown new MH5 on Switch will be a great system and software seller.

Shame about RE7, didn't finish it but what I played was excellent.
This narrative is so tiring. Dead Rising 3 was exclusive to Xbox One for months before ending up on PC. It still sold a respective 2 mill. DR4 not reaching 1 mill has nothing to do with Xbox. The game was not much fun. I know I skipped it when I have bought all other games at launch.

I don't mind the change in perspective from third to first person view, but the change in the formula as a whole. As someone whom enjoyed (a lot) 4, 5 and 6 playing solo and co-op, going back to the origins and make it more terror oriented than action made the game a no-go for me.
I'd buy a RE8 fps or a RE8 like 5/6

KingBroly

Banned
I think everyone expected DR4 to disappoint

And RE7 continues the RE sales tradition of reflecting on the quality of the prior game

Top Bottom