• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 7, Monster Hunter XX, and Dead Rising 4 all below Capcom's expectations

DocSeuss

The further Capcom Vancouver moves from Dead Rising 2 (the best seller in the series), the worse the series sells.

Resident Evil 7 putting on a pretty great performance for a January release.

I thought RE7 was hot because people said so... guess it wasn't.

It was hot as heck. Game sold 3.5 million. They wanted 4.

rhandino

Banned
Resi 6 was much further from expectations at this point in its lifetime, so I don't know why people are expecting them to go back to 3rd person action with RE8. Capcom are just notorious for overestimating sales for their games.
But 4 million for Resident Evil VII was already a very conservative number.

At least they are somewhat happy with those numbers so there is that.

I don't think RE 8 will go back to being a TPS. they missed the mark by 500k which is not bad. Also i bet it took much less to develop this game than re 6. So overall all things factored in I think RE7 did well profit wise.
The development on 7 started right after 6 and they developed a brand new engine for it as well, which isn't cheap either.

Some of those devs from the kinect Microsoft era are just poison lol. These new Dead Rising devs at least. Their ideas for the series were insane.

Rymuth

Capcom aint having much luck this gen.

they were bragging about the Otome mobile game they had.

Thats the game that I mistook for a potential Dragon's Dogma sequel, no? All that touch/palm mechanic stuff.

Not surprised really.

Resident Evil 7 was a pretty polarizing shift for the series so I would assume they would reassess these numbers. Good first attempt and did not seem to break the bank on the project, proved they can make a RE title in this way competently. Make the RE:2 remake amazing or the follow up RE8 a solid step up and address the issues of the first and expect even better sales and buzz.

Dead Rising 4... they did that to themselves.

wapplew

I feel like Capcom lack the funding to compete in AAA space.
Their game need more polish and production value from graphic to content or they could take KoeiTecmo route, make bunch of profitable games at lower cost in quick succession.
Current Capcom leaderships is not very good at their job.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Resi 6 was much further from expectations at this point in its lifetime, so I don't know why people are expecting them to go back to 3rd person action with RE8. Capcom are just notorious for overestimating sales for their games.

Resident Evil 6 shipped 4.5 million at launch out of a plan (by March of the next year) of 5 million.

It's possible the plan was higher at some point, but as for what they expected right before versus what they shipped, they seemed to generally hit or possibly even exceed it.

Presumably they reviewed massively worse than expected, mind.

Neonep

Capcom should select a few titles from their catalog and port them to the Switch. Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom & Resident Evil 4 on the Switch would basically print money for them.

The development on 7 started right after 6 and they developed a brand new engine for it as well, which isn't cheap either.

Re7 recouped with development cost back in february:

https://www.destructoid.com/capcom-says-resident-evil-7-recouped-its-development-costs-418961.phtml

While Re6 after selling 5 million copies didn't meets sales expectations:
http://www.polygon.com/2013/2/8/3967632/resident-evil-6-failed-capcom-sales-expectations-development-challenges

what you think cost more?

I have no idea why RE8 is expected to go third person. They won't make radical changes to their engine which they have developed for FPS and VR experience just because they didn't meet expectations. Instead they will likely tone down the scope and keep the budget within their projections instead of scaling up.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
We also gotta factor in the 3 year decline of the Xbox brand that has caused other Xbox exclusive to underperform. They don't do as bad as DR4 but they're barely making it to a million. I think it's fair to say the DR audience isn't on Xbox anymore.

I feel the issue is more that there isn't a Dead Rising audience anymore, especially for what they're making.

Stillmatic

Bought RE7. Loved it, deserves way more success after the last couple of trash releases. Hopefully they don't lose confidence and continue with the direction they're heading.

Would probably buy MH if it was on a platform I own.

Don't know why they think DR is worth pushing still. I never could get into them, as much as I wanted to.

Hes their any game released as Xbox exclusive did well the last 2 years? I know even their prime time franchise like Halo doesn't sell as well as they used to. I think Tomb Raider fared better financially after coming out on PC and PS4. While DR 4 is available in PC too I think too many drastic changes made the core game and not releasing on PS4 hurt their sales even more.

Bruno MB

Capcom updated million sellers list:

RESIDENT EVIL 7 biohazard - 3,500,000 (New Entry)
Monster Hunter XX (Double Cross) - 1,700,000 (New Entry)
Resident Evil 6 (Remastered) - 1,000,000 (New Entry)

Resident Evil 5 - 100,000 (7,200,000 LTD)
Resident Evil 6 - 100,000 (6,800,000 LTD)
Monster Hunter Freedom 3 - 100,000 (4,900,000 LTD)
Dead Rising 3 - 100,000 (2,300,000 LTD)
Resident Evil (HD Remastered) - 100,000 (1,900,000 LTD)
Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen - 100,000 (1,700,000 LTD)
Street Fighter V - 100,000 (1,600,000 LTD)
Resident Evil 0: HD Remaster - 100,000 (1,400,000 LTD)
Ultra Street Fighter IV - 100,000 (1,100,000 LTD)

Damn RE6 selling 1 mil as a remaster....Ok maybe they will go back to the TPS design. Also damn SFV only sold 100k more :(

They wanted that much from Dead Rising 4? Lol they've dumbed it down so much I'm surprised that it sold what it did.

Can't believe this is what Capcom has been reduced to.

JayEH

so if you combine the two RE6 entries, it's capcom's best selling game?

Damn RE6 selling 1 mil as a remaster....Ok maybe they will go back to the TPS design. Also damn SFV only sold 100k more :(

100,000 for SFV in a quarter is a good quarter honestly.

Ultra Street Fighter II is gonna do between 50K - 100K. Even with the drought of Switch games I cannot see that game going over. It's only got 3 weeks to make it's money before ARMS comes out.

cvxfreak

Resident Evil 6 on PS4/XB1 broke 1 million, taking the title to 7.8 million worldwide (not including PC numbers). RE6 may conceivably sell 10 million within a few years.

RE series is also up to 77 million. Should hit 100 million by 2020 or so.

so if you combine the two RE6 entries, it's capcom's best selling game?

RE5 is probably still ahead, especially since Gold Edition isn't included in its total.

It's possible the plan was higher at some point, but as for what they expected right before versus what they shipped, they seemed to generally hit or possibly even exceed it.

Initial expectation was 7 million.

RE6's barebone remaster sold 1 million. And people say it tained the franchise. Lol.

Unison

Ultra Street Fighter II is gonna do between 50K - 100K. Even with the drought of Switch games I cannot see that game going over. It's only got 3 weeks to make it's money before ARMS comes out.

Still seems crazy to me that they didn't at least port USFIV.

I hope they didn't spend a lot on it and hope they don't use it to gauge future Switch projects.

Kai Ozu

RE7 is a good game, but it's not a world that I want to return to all the time like the first 4 games.

It's a competent modern horror game, it didn't go beyond that, for me at least.

Korigama

A bit surprised with MHXX (would've expected a more modest projection like 1.5 million, which would've put them much closer based on where they are now), not so much with RE7 or DR4. Wouldn't know about the sales in the West, but the Japanese numbers were well below the performances for 5 and 6, and struggled to break 300k. DR4 already wasn't selling in the US and had terrible word of mouth, and the PC's lack of popularity and Xbone being a non-entity in Japan guaranteed that that market wouldn't be the one to save it.

Even with RE7 actually being a good game taken into account, I'm fairly certain that the shift to first-person, along with the lack of the "cool" factor associated with previous games (not necessarily limited to action RE, either), had much to do with limiting its appeal.

Kuraudo

Banned
Resident Evil 6 shipped 4.5 million at launch out of a plan (by March of the next year) of 5 million.

Presumably they reviewed massively worse than expected, mind.

They originally forecast 7 million units. In October 2012, just after release, they reduced it to 6million and then in February 2013 to 5 million.

rhandino

Banned
Resident Evil: Revelations 3 needs to be a spirituL succesor to RE6.

Come on Capcom! I know you want a piece of that delicious co-op/mutiplayer pie.

blakep267

Hes their any game released as Xbox exclusive did well the last 2 years? I know even their prime time franchise like Halo doesn't sell as well as they used to. I think Tomb Raider fared better financially after coming out on PC and PS4. While DR 4 is available in PC too I think too many drastic changes made the core game and not releasing on PS4 hurt their sales even more.
Uh... yeah

Forza horizon 3: sold 2.5 m in 3 months
Halo 5: shipped 5 m by the end of 2015. No other stats
Forza 6, ROtTR, Gears ultimate: all sold over a million by the end of 2015

There have been bombs but let's not start the narrative that all games failed

I think DR is more of a case of nobody cares or wants DR anymore vs it releasing on the Xbox.

NewGame

Banned
The west will save Monster Hunter.....stories >_>

I hope it wins some new players, but vets ain't touchin' that.

I just want Monster Hunter to go back to being like Tri quality, such a good self-contained game where everything was beautifully polished.

I wish we had servers more like Japan though.

mhf01.jpg

You know it's Japanese when

2011102023595302e.jpg

201110202359095bb.jpg

20111020235454cab.jpg

Stuff like this reminds about that time Tomb Raider reboot need 5-10m copies to break even and be a success.

Guess every AAA game nowadays needs to sell above 5m.

Vuze

Even as somebody who really enjoyed DR3, 4 looked very bland and uninspiring. Xbox one and timed windows store exclusivity certainly didn't help.

Surprised to see MHXX didn't reach the goal seems like I'm not the only one who is sick of the 3DS and yearly content rehashing. I'm sure a full blown new MH5 on Switch will be a great system and software seller.

Shame about RE7, didn't finish it but what I played was excellent.

That's tragic as RE7 is a fantastic game. It has flaws sure but it was a big step in the right direction for the franchise going back to survival horror, exploration, resource management and a somewhat more grounded story. The gameplay was pretty addictive too as I ended up getting the platinum trophy which I rarely do in games.

I don't want them to go back to being wacky action games where you body slam monsters like in RE6.

Top Bottom