• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Community |OT2| Best Fans Ever!

Neiteio

I wish they would do a two-in-one deal with remakes of both RE2 -and- RE3 on the same disk. The unifying theme would be the Raccoon City incident.

I wish they would do a two-in-one deal with remakes of both RE2 -and- RE3 on the same disk. The unifying theme would be the Raccoon City incident.

I've always thought the best way to deal with a RE2/ 3 remake would be to combine the 2 and switch between a cast of characters (including: Claire, Leon, Sherry, Ada, Jill and the Mercs etc). That way the game could incorporate old school survival horror sections with other, more modern, run and gun sections.

I've always thought the best way to deal with a RE2/ 3 remake would be to combine the 2 and switch between a cast of characters (including: Claire, Leon, Sherry, Ada, Jill and the Mercs etc). That way the game could incorporate old school survival horror sections with other, more modern, run and gun sections.

That's a massive undertaking from the remaking point of view and would make the game very bloated and doesn't make sense with the business aspect as well.

Neiteio

They'll probably remake RE3 after remaking RE2, and then they'll get us to double-dip by releasing a two-in-one deal like the Origins Collection.

Ralemont

not me
My wish list for RE7:

1. Sherry as main protag
2. Eliminate gimmick gameplay segments, like turrets and vehicles
3. One good 10-15 hour campaign instead of a bunch of bloat

That's about it. It could be like REmake, it could be like RE4, it could be like RE6 (combat-wise, not campaign-wise). Any of those game designs can be made into a great game if done well.

Seyavesh

I wonder if the Left 4 Dead 2 content from RE6 is going to remain Steam-exclusive, even with the Remaster.
probably
id bet they're just gonna stick in some other char models and voice clips and call it a day

instead of coach you now have rev2 Barry etc.

Nudull

Banned
My wish list for RE7:

1. Sherry as main protag

That's about it. It could be like REmake, it could be like RE4, it could be like RE6 (combat-wise, not campaign-wise). Any of those game designs can be made into a great game if done well.

I'd be okay with Sherry. She's long earned a solo title.

So can I nominate Chris for worst brother ever award? Claire almost gets killed twice looking for him.

I'll give him a pass for going off the grid after the Mansion Incident and not letting Claire know what was up (he was trying to protect her, blah, blah, blah). But then Raccoon City gets nuked. Dude can't spare a quick phone call to say "hey, don't worry I wasn't there"?

Reebot

I don't see how it's so hard to understand. You scrounge post apocalyptic areas looking for ammunition and supplies such as bandages instead of herbs. You're not always able to shoot everything because ammo is limited. You run into survivors along the way, fight a couple bosses, upgrade your weapons, and continue.

But those are really broad similarities, and you're phrasing it as such because the actual minute-to-minute experiences differ dramatically.

Again, other than third person action against zombies, and I guess upgrading weapons, RE shares nothing with TLoU. The former can take inspiration moving forward, sure, but its still pretty odd to characterize it as a successful reiteration on the RE formula.

But those are really broad similarities, and you're phrasing it as such because the actual minute-to-minute experiences differ dramatically.

Again, other than third person action against zombies, and I guess upgrading weapons, RE shares nothing with TLoU. The former can take inspiration moving forward, sure, but its still pretty odd to characterize it as a successful reiteration on the RE formula.

Agreed, tonally TLoU and RE are nothing alike in my opinion.

They'll probably remake RE3 after remaking RE2, and then they'll get us to double-dip by releasing a two-in-one deal like the Origins Collection.

Would happily double dip. Bought Remake HD digitally day one, then RE Origins collection physical day one. Would almost certainly do the same with Remake 2 and 2/3 physical bundle.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
this is fucking awesome. thank you!
No problem, most of it was just finding images and making a list that was already there look pretty, haha.

I'd be okay with Sherry. She's long earned a solo title.
This would be fine. The D.S.O. is a cool idea and the D.S.O. characters in RE6 had a nice HUD, which doesn't hurt.

joe2187

Banned
Just another reminder of my giveaway

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This is a giveaway for the thread url: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1180977&page=8&highlight=resident.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (joe2187, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Resident Evil 5 -- MB-47A3340DAB621EE6 - Taken by Zero-ELEC. 10 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
Resident Evil Revelations -- MB-279BC4486017E9C8 - Taken by Vibranium. 7 entrants total.
Resident Evil Revelations 2 - Episode 1 -- MB-F9EB03084B11CE35 - Taken by Zambatoh. 1 entrants total.
Resident Evil 4 -- MB-B0449F0E117B4BA2 - Taken by E_Darkness. 6 entrants total.

t1455078011z1.png

Once more if you win RE5, PM for the Gold content DLC

Neiteio

Would happily double dip. Bought Remake HD digitally day one, then RE Origins collection physical day one. Would almost certainly do the same with Remake 2 and 2/3 physical bundle.
Yeah, I also got REmake HD digitally and then the physical copy of Origins Collection. I wasn't complaining when I suggested they'll do this with RE2 and RE3. I'll gladly support it.

There are no plot holes. No real retcons either, for that matter. It's not "arbitrary" logic, it's just logic. And people looking for something to complain about instead of being able to accept two disconnected facets of a game on an individual basis. It wouldn't be a fun game if they stuck to the logic and rules outlined in the story. Likewise, it wouldn't be a very compelling story if it used the logic and rules of the gameplay.

Well first of all if you need add qualifiers and do mental gymnastics to say "There are no plot holes" then it should be obvious that there are in fact plot holes, otherwise the qualifiers and gymnastics wouldn't be needed.

And even with the qualifiers what I said remains accurate, you're essentially saying none of the games are canon.

Your earlier claim

in this series, gameplay is distinct from plot, and always has been.

Is not true. Throughout the series there are plenty of story elements put in via files directly to explain gameplay, if the two were unrelated this wouldn't be needed. By trying to explain the gameplay via story elements the creators are making a very clear connection between the two.

You could argue those are there as instruction manuals only, but that would be ignoring the fact that they are not above straight up putting gameplay instruction manuals in the game as files. The fact they selectively choose for certain ones to instead link the gameplay to story solidies the link between the two.

On the flipside, story is often used as a reason for gameplay elements not being present.

Crimson Heads are only possible in REmake because the t-Virus that leaked in the mansion mutated into a new strain.

There you go doing it right there for example, if story and gameplay are not linked then no reason not to have Crimson Heads constantly. You cannot argue this from both sides of the argument as it suits you and be right both times as they are in direct opposition to eachother.

Now, going back to the claim of story/gameplay being seperate, lets ignore the qualifiers and gymnastics and imagine this is completely true. Where in the games does it tell us this? Nowhere. Where do the games tell you to find the full story in supplementary books? Nowhere. Nobody who puts a game in and plays it would know this and they would just presume game events are canon. The medium the games are presented in fail to explain why things actually do make sense (if they do), so when they do not, they are plot holes. It doesn't matter if a guide book or word from a dev does explain the problems and add logic or an explanation of why the plot holes exists, they don't stop them being plotholes because the reason and explanations are not present in the work itself.

Not that there aren't plot holes for various reasons even with expanded materials.

Rean

If they do a RE3 remaster I hope they don't mess with Nemesis' voice and just use the sound clips from the original again.

If they do a RE3 remaster I hope they don't mess with Nemesis' voice and just use the sound clips from the original again.

I would like them to retake it, but hopefully do it well. Because he's sounded worse in each of his appearances post RE3.

News Bot

Banned
Well first of all if you need add qualifiers and do mental gymnastics to say "There are no plot holes" then it should be obvious that there are in fact plot holes, otherwise the qualifiers and gymnastics wouldn't be needed.

And even with the qualifiers what I said remains accurate, you're essentially saying none of the games are canon.

Your earlier claim

Is not true. Throughout the series there are plenty of story elements put in via files directly to explain gameplay, if the two were unrelated this wouldn't be needed. By trying to explain the gameplay via story elements the creators are making a very clear connection between the two.

You could argue those are there as instruction manuals only, but that would be ignoring the fact that they are not above straight up putting gameplay instruction manuals in the game as files. The fact they selectively choose for certain ones to instead link the gameplay to story solidies the link between the two.

On the flipside, story is often used as a reason for gameplay elements not being present.

There you go doing it right there for example, if story and gameplay are not linked then no reason not to have Crimson Heads constantly. You cannot argue this from both sides of the argument as it suits you and be right both times as they are in direct opposition to eachother.

Now, going back to the claim of story/gameplay being seperate, lets ignore the qualifiers and gymnastics and imagine this is completely true. Where in the games does it tell us this? Nowhere. Where do the games tell you to find the full story in supplementary books? Nowhere. Nobody who puts a game in and plays it would know this and they would just presume game events are canon. The medium the games are presented in fail to explain why things actually do make sense (if they do), so when they do not, they are plot holes. It doesn't matter if a guide book or word from a dev does explain the problems and add logic or an explanation of why the plot holes exists, they don't stop them being plotholes because the reason and explanations are not present in the work itself.

Not that there aren't plot holes for various reasons even with expanded materials.

There are no qualifiers or mental gymnastics. Just a simple fact. My statement is true, not a claim. No file says Zombies need to be shot 4-5 times in the chest to die. Anything mentioned in the files is part of the story. What gameplay elements in files are you even talking about? Puzzles? They're part of the story, but whether or not the character you play as ever interacts with them is left uncertain in earlier games because those titles were not a case of "what you see is what you get" in order to give the developers more freedom for both the story and the gameplay. Did you honestly think Chris and Jill went through the same areas unlocking the same doors and solving the same puzzles?

Whatever link there is between story and gameplay is only enough to maintain a certain level of consistency, because otherwise... not a fun game. But nobody truly believes Zombies can be killed in any way besides destroying the brain, a fact which is repeated throughout the series and stated outright by several characters, even those you play as. They can only die from chest shots because it's a video game and would be no fun otherwise with the constraints and limitations it had at the time. Ganado, Majini and J'avo all have superhuman strength but this is barely apparent in gameplay because the player is overpowered in those games and able to fling them around like confetti because, surprise, fun. They're also more resistant to bullets in gameplay, because them dying like ordinary people as seen in cutscenes would be less fun and imposing to the player in gameplay. The games don't need to tell you any of this. You should have common sense and notice the discrepancy and accept it for what it is... which is not a plot hole. The gameplay only loosely follows the story in the earlier games.

In fiction, a plot hole or plothole is a logical inconsistency within a story. Such inconsistencies include such things as illogical or impossible events, and statements or events that contradict earlier events in the storyline.

No such thing exists in this series. There is logic and possibility to every event and there are no contradictions. You'll find plenty of mistranslations, but the writing is solid as far as logical consistency goes. What doesn't make sense? The series is written to maintain a certain level of mystery while leaving room for the player's imagination, even if there's a concrete explanation already. The closest thing to a plot hole in the entire series is the appearance of the BIO2 laboratory in BIO0, which is nothing more than an easter egg the characters never actually interact with in the narrative, it's purely a fan tease, with an elevator that's a gameplay mechanic to go back to previous areas without backtracking. That's the only reason the lab even exists in the game, because previously there was no way to retrieve dropped items from the training facility without backtracking since the chapel connects straight to the treatment plant. Poor gameplay design caused that, not poor scenario writing.

cheez124

My wish list for RE7:

1. Sherry as main protag

i'd like to see sherry as the lead for re7 too. might give her some chance to actually develop, since jake (unfortunately) ended up being the main focus in their re6 campaign.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
I would think Jake would take the lead. RE6 seemed to set it up for him.

I agree, Jake's ending suggests a franchise future--we see his post-game adventure in a way that we don't see the other characters.

'course, I didn't end up liking him a huge amount. I liked Piers and Sherry the best overall, but Jake seems to be the frontrunner for main character status in RE7, based on the conclusion of RE6.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Actually for RE7, I'd like to have:

1. Rebecca and Leon
2. 2 Story Arc with exclusive locations and a few interweaving ones
3. Claustrophobic/horror area like a hospital + abandoned hotel
4. Change camera to fixed angle ala RE:CVX or third person
5. Limited inventory (maybe slightly bigger than the standard 8) with chests
6. Unlimited Typewriting saves

cheez124

I would think Jake would take the lead. RE6 seemed to set it up for him.
sherry is who i want, but it's true that jake is the most likely to be the lead...which sucks, because i really can't stand him. the only thing i liked about him were his hand to hand skills, which were actually pretty fun to use, but otherwise he was my least favorite of the main 7 of re6.

Manu

I remember before Revelations 2 I had thought of a sequel scenario where Jake got suddenly ill. The idea was that all the Wesker children had a virus that was injected into them as kids and worked as a failsafe, and he had inherited it from his father.

With Albert Wesker dead, Jake would search for Alex Wesker in hopes of getting rid of the virus. He would get progressively sicker and weakened as the game progressed, affecting your movement and combat abilities.

Nudull

Banned
I remember before Revelations 2 I had thought of a sequel scenario where Jake got suddenly ill. The idea was that all the Wesker children had a virus that was injected into them as kids and worked as a failsafe, and he had inherited it from his father.

With Albert Wesker dead, Jake would search for Alex Wesker in hopes of getting rid of the virus. He would get progressively sicker and weakened as the game progressed, affecting your movement and combat abilities.

I just really really hope they let Albert stay dead. Let Jake grow on his own as a character.

GrayChild

Actually for RE7, I'd like to have:

1. Rebecca and Leon
2. 2 Story Arc with exclusive locations and a few interweaving ones
3. Claustrophobic/horror area like a hospital + abandoned hotel
4. Change camera to fixed angle ala RE:CVX or third person
5. Limited inventory (maybe slightly bigger than the standard 8) with chests
6. Unlimited Typewriting saves

Listen to this man, Capcom.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
I'd love it if Sherry got her own game but now that I think about it there has been only one "mainline" RE game with only one main character (without a partner) and that's 4. Every other game has at least two characters. Well, maybe 4 and CVX if you don't count Steve -- I mean, why would you?

Manu

I just really really hope they let Albert stay dead. Let Jake grow on his own as a character.

Oh yeah, for sure. My idea was mostly to get Alex Wesker in the picture.

I'm fine with what we got though. I really liked Rev 2.

Grisby

I wouldn't mind a buddy cop game starring Sheva and Helena.

In non-dream land mode, it would be cool if (Rev 2 spoilers)
Natalia is the new villain. Kind of like a teenage Wesker or something.

joe2187

Banned
nah, bruh. RE7 should have Albert Wesker as the main character, as a reformed person who has seen the error of his ways.

Jill: Didnt you die....in a volcano....decapitated by an RPG?

Wesker: I got better.

Jill: ...

Wesker: Have you heard the good word about Jehova?

Jill: *cocks gun*

HeelPower

My fav part of RE6 is how Ustanak chases Jake and Sherry throughtout the game and will insta kill them most of the time, but then Jake decides to kick its ass in a fist fight, and wins...

This is hilarious..I played the Jake/Sherry campaign to completion at least twice and this just dawned on me.

Makes the stealth sequence so nonsensical lol.

There are no qualifiers or mental gymnastics. Just a simple fact.

And we are done.

Olympic gold mental gymnastics in that post.

"No qualifiers" followed by qualifiers, excuses and ludicrous claims that have no basis in fact and are head canon, like the RE0/RE2 lab claim. It's clearly meant to be the same lab, is just one of the many geography errors in the series, like the RPD parking lot ramp that extends upwards and into the road Leon and Claire arrived on, which didn't have a massive slope leading downwards on it, or the magic elevator in general. RE0 geography was especially bad.

Reebot

Jill: Didnt you die....in a volcano....decapitated by an RPG?

He retracted his head bro, like a turtle, rewind the tapes

And we are done.

Olympic gold mental gymnastics in that post.

"No qualifiers" followed by qualifiers, excuses and ludicrous claims that have no basis in fact and are head canon, like the RE0/RE2 lab claim. It's clearly meant to be the same lab, is just one of the many geography errors in the series, like the RPD parking lot ramp that extends upwards and into the road Leon and Claire arrived on, which didn't have a massive slope leading downwards on it, or the magic elevator in general. RE0 geography was especially bad.

Look, just accept that if you rewrite major portions in your head while ignoring the experience comprising 90% of the player's interaction that its airtight.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I'm probably one of the few really looking forward to playing RE6 again.

I wonder what costumes they'll add?

cheez124

i hope it'll be easy to find mercenaries games in the re6 remaster. i think there were some problems with the servers on ps3. i could never find very many players, even around the game's launch, which is a shame since duo is so much more fun

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
RE6 has a beautiful soundtrack that I feel isn't mentioned often enough.

This song immediately sets the scene.Its really fantastic.

I feel that RE6 had a really strong thematic,and musical presence.

I like RE6's music, but think it's not mentioned enough since, honestly, the whole RE series has some really good music. RE6 is somewhere in the middle overall with me, but some of the tracks are fantastic in it (and there's a LOT of music in RE6).

From my personal position, I think Resident Evil Outbreak, Darkside Chronicles, Code Veronica, and Revelations 1 have the best soundtracks in the series (for my taste). Resident Evil 2 and REmake are close.

SolVanderlyn

Mr_Zombie

RE6 has a beautiful soundtrack that I feel isn't mentioned often enough.

This song immediately sets the scene.Its really fantastic.

I feel that RE6 had a really strong thematic,and musical presence.

When you listen it on its own, it really does sound great, but to be honest, I find RE6 OST pretty forgettable. I remember most of the music from older titles (mainly the PSX ones, CV, Outbreak and RE5), but I can barely remember anything from RE6 beside the menu music and Mercenaries OST.

Top Bottom