• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Community |OT2| Best Fans Ever!

Mr_Zombie

I'm confused. I expected everything... and yet RE7 announcement was nothing like anything I could ever expect. A first person game (wat?!) that focuses on puzzles and exploration? Talk about huge turnabout from RE6.

I'm waiting for some further trailers and/or gameplay videos, but I don't like what I'm seeing now. Neiteio in the OT said what worries me the most about the game right now:

No skill-based gameplay that we can see.

No iconic characters (on the contrary, the few characters shown look generic as heck).

No compelling creature designs (enough with the creepy lil' Grunge girls already, Japan!)

No style, no humor, no levity; no soap opera drama; no super-heroics

I would also add first person view to the list. I didn't mind that in Survivor/Chronicles spin-offs, but this isn't something I want to see in the main series. For me RE games were always characters-oriented and fpp just hides the main character, makes him/her invisible to the player.

Oh well, at least the game has a clever logo and the trailer had nice theme.

And there's still RE2 remake and (supposedly) future Revelations games.

Seyavesh

im laughing so hard watching this stream while carcinogen attempts to figure out this dumb ass king's quest level 'puzzling'

how fucking clueless does one have to be to think the purpose of 'puzzles' in classic RE are anything even remotely similar? i don't get the comparison at all beyond a superficial level

Just watched the trailer of RE 7 and everything I was thinking was like a huge fucking : WAT?

I'm not sure what Capcom is attempting here but this is not Biohazard / Resident Evil at all.
Looks more like Outlast and Condemened than anything Resident Evil...
Oh well lets see maybe it is only that way to show us demo footage...

News Bot

Banned
What if this is capcom vancouver? weren't they working on vr?

It's CAPCOM Japan from all indications. The "RE Engine" was built by Development Division 1 under Jun Takeuchi. There's also this oddity:

bioterror.jpg

Raijinken

So, I'm not sure if anyone else went back to rewatch the shorter version of the RE7 trailer that was shown during the conference but as I was looking through the distorted clips trying to make out what was happening in each of them it looks like we're going to be running into that man seen in the photos around the house (The one that knocks you out in the demo) quite often. One of the distorted clips also showed the player in a motorboat, attempting to escape from somewhere it looks like.

You can see the clips here: https://youtu.be/Jjoq7snv24I?t=5996

gelf

Well it looks more interesting to me then anything based the on action RE titles would have done but at the same time eh I'm not really keen on first person horror.

I feel like you guys are Griffith and asked for a new Resident Evil game sacrificing the old fans for VR gimmicks on behalf of your behilt................

BTW Where the fuck is REmake2?

It was announced nearly a year ago, but we've seen zero gameplay footage, or even a freaking screenshot that it actually exists.

wtf is going on with that project.

Mr_Zombie

BTW Where the fuck is REmake2?

It was announced nearly a year ago, but we've seen zero gameplay footage, or even a freaking screenshot that it actually exists.

wtf is going on with that project.

One year ago they annaunced that they started the project. Before you even start doing any serious coding - something you can show to the general public - there's a lot of planning, designing and prototyping to do.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
"Welcome to the family." "The Family is Expecting You Early 2017"
as in... The Family?

The Illuminati post-Simmons has really hit the skids

Has anybody figured this thing out yet?

What is the RE Ambassador Program?

After thinking about the RE 7 reveal, I'm intrigued. It's definitely not what I expected or necessarily wanted, but it could still be a refreshing change of pace.

And if it's a dumpster fire, we still have REmake 2 on the way and have REmake, RE 0, RE 4, RE 5, RE 6, and Revelations 2 on the PS4/Xbone/PC and Revelations 1 on pretty much all last gen and PC. We also have a 3rd CG movie with Leon, Chris, and Rebecca.

RSB

Banned
Played the demo. Got two different "endings" but I think there may be another secret ending or something. I have no idea what to do with the
axe.

Anyway, this shit's awful. As much as I criticized the middle ground approach of the Revelations games, this demo makes those seem like absolute videogame masterpieces.

Back to its roots? Yeah, I totally remember the classic RE games being uninspired PT clones. LMAO.

Capcom is being really smart, now that I think about it. Instead of disappointing half the fanbase going either the classic or the action route, they are gonna make sure everyone feels disappointed this time (well, except for all the fans that were clamoring for RE to turn into a PT/Outlast clone of course) Genius.

Ludens

Banned
Played the demo. Got two different "endings" but I think there may be another secret ending or something. I have no idea what to do with the
axe.

Anyway, this shit's awful. As much as I criticized the middle ground approach of the Revelations games, this demo makes those seem like absolute videogame masterpieces.

Back to its roots? Yeah, I totally remember the classic RE games being uninspired PT clones. LMAO.

Capcom is being really smart, now that I think about it. Instead of disappointing half the fanbase going either the classic or the action route, they are gonna make sure everyone feels disappointed this time (well, except for all the fans that were clamoring for RE to turn into a PT/Outlast clone of course) Genius.
Can you tell me how do you achieved the second ending? Only got the family one.

RSB

Banned
Can you tell me how do you achieved the second ending? Only got the family one.
Well, both times it was the family ending, just in a different place
(one when trying to leave the house and the other after answering the phone)

Ludens

Banned
Well, both times it was the family ending, just in a different place
(one when trying to leave the house and the other after answering the phone)

The phone never ringed for me. Also, where did you take the axe? Is there a use for the mannequin-key? Can you visit the room up on the second floor? Where is the fuse? Sorry for the many questions, but I should consider if I need to give the demo another try or just uninstall it.

kamineko

From the gaming thread

If you want the fuse:

It is through the secret door where you wake up but only if you go through it first before watching the video.

There is also a lock pick you can find.

You have to get it in the video tape section with the two guys. Its to the bottom right of the microwave, theres a gap between the cabinet the microwave is on and its at the back there on the right. You can unlock the locked drawer in the kitchen in this section and when the tape is over go back to the drawer to find an axe.

Still no word on the dummy finger. I've had three endings so far.

i dont know about the rest of you but im super bummed

I didn't care about the franchise yesterday, now I'm actually mildly interested in it. Sorry action brosefs and brolinas. :/ But then again, for reference, to me RE was always the okay-cousin to the greater glory of Silent Hill.

And if fans are sick of what the RE franchise is capable of, let me tell you about Silent Hill............

sh2alwayslikethis.jpg

Besides, it's just one entry!

RSB

Banned
The phone never ringed for me. Also, where did you take the axe? Is there a use for the mannequin-key? Can you visit the room up on the second floor? Where is the fuse? Sorry for the many questions, but I should consider if I need to give the demo another try or just uninstall it.
If you open the secret passage at the beginning you'll find a fuse, which you can use to open the stairs to the third floor, where the phone rings. The axe can be found in the locked drawer (to open it you have to use the the lockpick that is behind the microwave during the VHS sequence) I didn't find any use for the mannequin finger. Or the axe (well, you can smash some crates and a mannequin, but they contain nothing) Oh, and I also got two (or maybe three, I'm not sure) different lines when picking up the phone, but I don't know what triggers each one.

BadWolf

Thought it was a great demo, did the whole mysterious thing well and the P.T. vibes were appreciated. Sets the stage well for the full game and shuts those people up who said Capcom was lying about going horror with RE7. I think the game will be like Siren on PS3, you can play the entire game in 3rd or 1st person.

I don't really understand the hate it seems to be getting, sure it's not classic RE (we have REmake 2 for that) or the action RE (hello Revelations 3, Dino Crisis Reboot) but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Though I do think the people who were screaming for "going back to the roots" and "horror" for years may have finally realized that RE was never really horror lol.

Also, for some reason I feel like something like this demo is what people expected from Mikami when he said he was going to make a horror game.

Oh and is my memory playing with me or did they show a video/trailer a few years back at TGS (when Revelations 2 was revealed) which contained female mannequins?

Nudull

Banned
I can't the only one here who's legitimately excited about where 7 is going.

Going back to straight horror would've been enough to catch my interest, and Capcom could've just as easily just went for a classic-style retread and call it a day. Instead, this is something interesting and, more importantly, different. If this means finding new ground and bringing fresher ideas into the series, then I am all for it.

RSB

Banned
I can't the only one here who's legitimately excited about where 7 is going.

Going back to straight horror would've been enough to catch my interest, and Capcom could've just as easily just went for a classic-style retread and call it a day. Instead, this is something interesting and, more importantly, different. If this means finding new ground and bringing fresher ideas into the series, then I am all for it.
This is neither interesting nor fresh. Sure, it is different from both classic and action RE, but in reality it is just another first person horror game, an overpopulated genre that got popular years ago with Amnesia. RE4 was actually different and unique when it came out (and it still is, considering most TPS followed the Gears formula) this is just generic and uninspired.

BadWolf

This is neither interesting nor fresh. Sure, it is different from both classic and action RE, but in reality it is just another first person horror game, an overpopulated genre that got popular years ago with Amnesia. RE4 was actually different and unique when it came out (and it still is, considering most TPS followed the Gears formula) this is just generic and uninspired.

It's just a demo, a P.T. style mysterious one.

If this is what the final game is like then why would they mention that it takes place a few years after RE6? This is not a reboot, it's a continuation.

Would be surprised if we aren't playing with one of the regulars in the actual game. At the end of the trailer it looks like someone steps out of a car and then the trailer ends. This is who we will be playing as I think.

So they want people to hype the games?

Sounds pointless for the average fan, more for journos.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
The Ambassador questions are interesting. They ask which game franchises you have played and liked (and they range from Resident Evil, but most of the other options are not Capcom games, they include everything from Metal Gear Solid to Fatal Frame to Bloodborne to Forbidden Siren, Evil Within, etc.), favorite RE character, which type of RE games you like (action, horror, etc), what type of horror scares you most, those sorts.

Then you get an account, and it shows a pic of a room from RE7 with a door, welcoming you to be an Ambassador, and you get some ID number.

RSB

Banned
It's just a demo, a P.T. style mysterious one.

If this is what the final game is like then why would they mention that it takes place a few years after RE6? This is not a reboot, it's a continuation.

Would be surprised if we aren't playing with one of the regulars in the actual game. At the end of the trailer it looks like someone steps out of a car and then the trailer ends. This is who we will be playing as I think.
Sure there'll be more locations and monsters and weapons, but if the whole game is gonna be playable in VR (which they said in the conference) I seriously doubt it'll get that much more interesting.

And yeah, PT was WAY better than this (and like a million times more scary)

Seyavesh

The Ambassador questions are interesting. They ask which game franchises you have played and liked (and they range from Resident Evil, but most of the other options are not Capcom games, they include everything from Metal Gear Solid to Fatal Frame to Bloodborne to Forbidden Siren, Evil Within, etc.), favorite RE character, which type of RE games you like (action, horror, etc), what type of horror scares you most, those sorts.

Then you get an account, and it shows a pic of a room from RE7 with a door, welcoming you to be an Ambassador, and you get some ID number.

input 'chris redfield' in all categories

all of them

BadWolf

Sure there'll be more locations and monsters and weapons, but if the whole game is gonna be playable in VR (which theysaid in the conference) I seriously doubt it'll get that much more interesting.

Have you played Siren on PS3?

You can freely switch between 1st and 3rd person at any time and play the entire game in either perspective. Being given the option to play in 1st person doesn't hurt the overall experience.

Ludens

Banned

Like "We have no idea on how to craft a RE anymore, pleast tell us what games do you like and we'll try our best!"

kamineko

I think I've done as much as I can do with it right now....

I've gotten the three endings (back door man and phone1 and phone2) but am not sure where to go from here.

I'm thinking there's something more yet to do in the vid, but idk

I think it's enjoyable and a curiosity, but until I've seen otherwise I assume the actual game will have plenty of shootbang for our weapon quickslots. I'm also glad to see that inventory tetris has returned.

I'm wondering how long Capcom will let this hang out there before they start talking about characters, showing gameplay footage, etc.

I mean, this has people talking, but not everyone is speaking positively. I'm sure they will want to keep discussion moving in a positive direction, so some flow of information is probably a good idea.

I'm not worried about the campaign.... yet.

I'm worried about mercs tho :'(

RSB

Banned
Have you played Siren on PS3?

You can freely switch between 1st and 3rd person at any time and play the entire game in either perspective. Being given the option to play in 1st person doesn't hurt the overall experience.
Blood Curse? Yes I have, but they already confirmed RE7 (the whole game) will be first person right? And again, if the game is gonna be playable in VR from start to finish they can't go too crazy with the gameplay, so I'm not epecting the final game to be much different from this demo, honestly (hope I'm wrong though)

I'm pretty sure they went this route with the game because of development and budget problems. This approach (first person horror) gives them the chance to make the game with a low budget (it's no coincidence this genre is so popular between indie developers)

Top Bottom