• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil HD Remaster confirmed for PS3/PS4/360/XB1/PC

saher

Banned
About fucking time, what took them so long?

also now there is a chance zero will be next, i forgot everything about this game

How didn't the 'artist' responsible for this notice that a huge amount of details are lost because of added shadowing? Also, the picture looks like a bad compressed JPEG due the sharpening; this doesn't look great at all.

They didn't add shadows, they crushed the blacks.
Unless you mean the character models.

NIN90

Seriously. Everyone asked Capcom to release REmake on platforms other than just GameCube (and Wii). And now when they are releasing it, people bitch and cry that backgrounds will probably not be rerendered in HD (what if... they simply can't do that because they don't have those assets anymore?) or that the game won't run in 60fps (after all those fuckups with 60fps mode in RE4 UHD PC I can understand why companies don't want to force old games designed for 30fps to run in 60fps).

Whatever. The best RE game playable on PC without emulation? I'll be there day one.

It's more about Capcom putting next to zero effort into these re-release time and time again and asking premium prices for them.

nin1000

Banned
Capcom just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the japanese public, after seeing those upscaled backgrounds, is not going to want to purchase this "Remaster" for either system, nor will they purchase any of Capcom's "remasters". This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Capcom has alienated an entire market with this move.

Capcom, publicly apologize and re-do those backgrounds properly or you can kiss your business goodbye.

New Meta

Haha, Capcom releasing something that is regularly done via Dolphin and calling it the "latest resolution enhancement and 3D model technology" when it's really just an up-res and with some new textures. The marketing bollocks is insultingly strong with this one. And I guarantee you that they'll be lazy with the new textures, too. They were with RE4, which is a mess that the famed Albert and Cris now have to clean up

I cannot help but laugh at the cheaply HQX-filtered, gamma-adjusted backgrounds (the telltale sign is the massive, roundish pixel smoothing of the interpolation algorithm). The original-resolution assets are either gone, which would indicate terrible archiving practices, or they're too lazy (no way was that the original resolution of the assets the artists drew them in). Now watch them simply press the auto-remix button for fake 5.1 audio. I would not be surprised. Throw in some of the easiest-to-program, most standard features around and you're good to go.

Looks like Capcom's history of lazy HD ports continues. I would hope, though, that they're merely using this to gauge interest in a REmade RE2 and RE3.

ElTopo

Banned
index.php

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
All if you losing the hype are nuts. This is a great game regardless of the FMV background resolution.

Exactly. What's important here is that the, previously exclusive, best survival horror game of all time is now going multi platform. Stop bitching about the poxy backgrounds and just play it when it comes out. I guarantee you after 5 minutes you wont care about photoshop filters or whatever else that you are all moaning about.

Gekidami

Banned
Dolphin:

dolphin-remakesvkub.jpg

HD Remaster:

hd-remakeg3unt.jpg

I can't spot the depth of field effect or Jill's shadow in this screenshot. But maybe it's just a poor quality screenshot.

Gonna buy it, and I encourage all of you to do the same, if only just to send a message to Capcom. REmake has never been a huge commercial success.
Looks like they've just upped the saturation and applied a sharp filter. Though to be fair, unless you want them to totally redraw all of the environments (which means pretty much remaking the whole game), i dont think theres much more they could have done with these 2D drawings.

Nibel

I wonder how long it took them to make this.

Well, loading about 50-100 images into Photoshop and pressing "CTRL+F" can't take that much time.

They didn't add shadows, they crushed the blacks.
Unless you mean the character models.

Ah yes, crushed the blacks, that's what I meant. The right side of the screenshot is completely black and Jill's shadow seems almost non-existant; very questionable artistic choice in my opinion.

Kyoufu

To be fair, the intern who was responsible for remastering this on his lunch break did an OK job, all things considered.

Floex

Exactly. What's important here is that the, previously exclusive, best survival horror game of all time is now going multi platform. Stop bitching about the poxy backgrounds and just play it when it comes out. I guarantee you after 5 minutes you wont care about photoshop filters or whatever else that you are all moaning about.

If tha's the case why not just play it on GC/Wii/Dolphin?

Hmm.

Good for the people wanting to play it but never got it on Nintendo systems; it is a shame that they couldn't do more for it graphically, but we'll see how it turns out. Especially a shame that there's no WiiU or Vita version; I imagine it'd be pretty fun playing it on Vita or Gamepad in the dark.

May try the PC verison sometime, but now I feel prompted to get the Wii version and play on the Wii U.

UrbanRats

Looks like they've just upped the saturation and applied a sharp filter. Though to be fair, unless you want them to totally redraw all of the environments (which means pretty much remaking the whole game), i dont think theres much more they could have done with these 2D drawings.

They are 3d renderings though.

I doubt they still have all the assets to rerender all the backgrounds from scratch, so this doesn't surprise me, however it's not worth the money, simply because it looks worse (at least in some elements).

Leonsito

Goddam, what a fucking emotional rollercoaster, I was preparing my wallet to buy this on day zero, and as I was reading through the thread my soul fell into the darkness.

A fucking shitty upscaled, cropped, filtered and edge-sharpened port at 30fps????? FUCK YOU CAPCOM

Easy_D

never left the stone age

If only they had like, an archive, with the original renders in it, or something. Though going by the countless "We lost the source lol" stories coming from Japanese developers I think it's just not their style to actually back shit up.

Edit: Also, I am calling this; the game WILL be missing animation frames in the backgrounds and I will bet my dignity on there being completely static backgrounds that were animated in the original release.

im hype. the best RE game is getting more attention and a graphical update. Maybe Capcom is trying to bring back Biohazard.

Dolphin:

dolphin-remakesvkub.jpg

HD Remaster:

hd-remakeg3unt.jpg

I can't spot the depth of field effect or Jill's shadow in this screenshot. But maybe it's just a poor quality screenshot.

Gonna buy it, and I encourage all of you to do the same, if only just to send a message to Capcom. REmake has never been a huge commercial success.
That top shot only applies to playing on a PC with emulation, no?
Because it never looked anywhere near that good on screen when played on a gamecube.

They are 3d renderings though.

I doubt they still have all the assets to rerender all the backgrounds from scratch, so this doesn't surprise me, however it's not worth the money, simply because it looks worse (at least in some elements).

The thing is, they remade the entire mansion in Umbrella Chronicles, they can just take that and give it a new coat of paint to match the original game's CG.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Because it never looked anywhere near that good on screen when played on a gamecube.

It's labelled "Dolphin". Dolphin is an emulator for PC.

ElTopo

Banned
I think the HD Remaster shots look fine. Only thing I don't get is the Nov 27th release date. Why not Halloween? That's the perfect day and it's not even released in October.

On a CRT with proper cables? It looked way better than on dolphin.

Since backgrounds are pre-rendered, everything gets pixelated when increasing the resolution. On the other hand the characters' models are magnificent at high-res.

zhao3gold

Banned
Where is Wii U version, Capcom????? RE Remake was exclusive to Nintendo platform. How dare you don't bring the HD remaster to Wii U?

Top Bottom