• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: Vendetta - Reveal Trailer (CG Film taking place between RE6/RE7)

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEeZ6ISMhpg

I debated whether to make a topic on this or not on Gaming side, but the CG films are canon in the in-game universe and marketed towards fans of the games (much more than the live-action films), so thought to post it here. (plus we had another Vendetta topic on Gaming side recently).

The reveal trailer for Resident Evil: Vendetta has been released! The 3rd CG film by Capcom, this film features Chris Redfield, Leon S. Kennedy, & Rebecca Chambers (absent from this trailer, but in the film!) as they investigate a strange derelict mansion... Aiming to be more of a horror movie compared to the first two CG films, it also is being done by a completely different animation studio (Marza Animation Planet, the people who do SEGA CG cutscenes), and being directed by Takanori Tsujimoto, written by Makoto Fukami (of Psycho-Pass fame), and music composed by Kenji Kawai.

Italian opera, not what I expected. Is it just me or is "Resident Evil" actually a lyric in the song itself?

Dusk Golem

Chris looks super weird. Dammit.

I feel this will become a reoccurring thing, but to be honest I actually think he looks fine in motion. I think the deal here is that they look a little more... Animated than they usually do. And I don't mean that in a CG pun way, but compared to even the earlier CG films everything has a slight more... animated look to it. It translates well for Leon since he's a pretty boy, but a bit odder for Chris being a muscle man, but I actually think he looks good in motion.

Also love the animation of the characters and zombies. They move in a very interesting way. Also this zombie does legitimately look terrifying:

ecfb4749bf90a45e507af438040946cb.png

strafer

Yeah, dont get me wrong, the movie itself looks awesome. Cant wait to see it.

It's just the Chris look that bothers me.

But man, if it's not Roger Craig Smiths voice coming out of him.

There will be blood.

Anung

Un Rama
I'll be watching. The CGI Resident Evil's aren't masterpieces by any means but as a fan they are enjoyable enough. They really botched Chris's model though.

Interesting that they are going for a more horror feel and having Kenji Kawai on board is a great addition.

Dusk Golem

Yeah, dont get me wrong, the movie itself looks awesome. Cant wait to see it.

It's just the Chris look that bothers me.

But man, if it's not Roger Craig Smiths voice coming out of him.

There will be blood.

He did seem not to know about the project, but I almost want to say that maybe they just haven't dubbed the film yet. It got delayed and this trailer notably featured -no- speaking. And since RE series now has an official Japanese dub line going since RE6, maybe this CG film was made in Japanese first and English will be dubbed over? Especially since many people involved are used to working on foreign films (the animation studio does a series of French CG films outside of SEGA work) and anime.

To be seen though. Capcom changing its VAs so often does cast some concern, but I doubt they'd not cast Roger Craig Smith as Chris.

strafer

He did seem not to know about the project, but I almost want to say that maybe they just haven't dubbed the film yet. It got delayed and this trailer notably featured -no- speaking. And since RE series now has an official Japanese dub line going since RE6, maybe this CG film was made in Japanese first and English will be dubbed over? Especially since many people involved are used to working on foreign films (the animation studio does a series of French CG films outside of SEGA work) and anime.

To be seen though. Capcom changing its VAs so often does cast some concern, but I doubt they'd not cast Roger Craig Smith as Chris.

Let's hope so. I guess this is just a trailer to show us the type of movie they're going for.

There will probably be another which shows a little more.

And maybe they haven't animated Rebecca yet.

Dusk Golem

I'll be watching. The CGI Resident Evil's aren't masterpieces by any means but as a fan they are enjoyable enough. They really botched Chris's model though.

Interesting that they are going for a more horror feel and having Kenji Kawai on board is a great addition.

The Resident Evil CG films may be the truest game to film adaptions out there. Outside of the fact they're canon to the games themselves (even if Revelations 2 is the first game to really deal with that canon), they feel like Resident Evil stories in film form. Which could be a pro or con based on who you are, but it's fun as a fan of the series.

Of course, I base this off of the first two films, this film does have radically different staff and set-up to the first two films. Whole new animation studio, some big names are working on its lead positions, the film is aiming to be more of a horror film than the first two, etc. But I did think Degeneration was okay, and Damnation was a big step up and actually quite enjoyable for me (for what it was), so hope this film continues that tradition and see's another step up in quality.

I admit I'm very excited for Kenji Kawai's music on this.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Outside of the fact they're canon to the games themselves (even if Revelations 2 is the first game to really deal with that canon)
Wait, it does? Where? I totally missed that, and I played Rev 2 a ton of times.

RedSnake

Boring trailer.
Music didn't fit IMO.
Wtf at Chris' face.
He's a terrible commander if his team dies again. poor guy.

I'm pumped for the movie. I liked the previous 2 so...

On a side note, isn't it amazing that RE7 and this belong in the same universe?
That's one of the reasons of why I love RE.

Dusk Golem

Wait, it does? Where? I totally missed that, and I played Rev 2 a ton of times.

Well firstly, there's a couple radios in Russian during Revelations 2 which, if you translate them, are talking about the events of Resident Evil Damnation (which takes place shortly before the events of Revelations 2 on the timeline and is being reported as a recent incident). Second, the whole plotline with Claire being in TerraSave and Moria joining TerraSave is from Degeneration, as TerraSave is introduced and only mentioned in Degeneration before Revelations 2 came around.

TannerDemoz

1.19 looks like Wesker's son

Really wish they'd set this before 6. I have enjoyed all of these movies though (CG, live action ones are really bad)

Dusk Golem

Also this is a small note that shouldn't be very surprising, but it seems that this film will involve C-Virus zombies. Degeneration dealt with the T-Virus and
G-Virus
, Damnation dealt with Las Plagas as well as
using Plagas to control Lickers and T-102 Tyrants
. And it seems this film is using C-Virus zombies; they seem to be able to sprint after you like they sometimes do in RE6 and in one of them is clearly turning crimson skin like a Bloodshot from RE6, which is what I'm basing this off of.

It's not entirely surprising, but for some reason didn't even come to mind for me.

Decent trailer. The opera music really doesn't fit all the action going on in the screen, though.

I see what you mean about the characters being "more animated." Their movements and motions look more cartoon-like to me compared to the previous two CG films. I'm ok with that though.

cvxfreak

Since the CG movies are apparently taking turns pairing Leon with another series protagonist (Claire, then Ada, and now Chris and Rebecca), anyone think Jill and perhaps Barry would be up for a potential 4th film? Leon, Jill and Barry would be a strange combination if so.

Also wonder if Revelations 3 is on the cards. Rev 2 sold pretty well, and they do need to keep that RE4 gameplay style alive somehow.

KyleCross

Dammit, no Rebecca. I have to keep worrying about how they're gonna mess her up.

I swear, they better not have brought her back just to kill her in this movie.

Degeneration was pretty boring, especially the middle of the movie which has put me to sleep multiple times when I tried to rewatch it. I really enjoyed Damnation though, sure it was goofy but at least it was entertaining and had a lot of great fanservice, which is about as much as you can ask from these films. I like how this one is looking, gonna be happy to see it when it comes out.

KyleCross

Degeneration was pretty boring, especially the middle of the movie which has put me to sleep multiple times when I tried to rewatch it. I really enjoyed Damnation though, sure it was goofy but at least it was entertaining and had a lot of great fanservice, which is about as much as you can ask from these films. I like how this one is looking, gonna be happy to see it when it comes out.
That's pretty much why Damnation was so good. It embraced the camp and drowns you in fanservice. The "other" kind of fanservice was odd tho.

Jawmuncher

So what's the song in the trailer? Also I hope they try and do a theater release in the west, even if it's limited through fathom events.

Kazuhira

Chris doesn't look that bad in motion,at least compared with that pic that was shown before this trailer.
I just need to stop staring at his helmet-looking haircut.

Chris kinda looks like Ark Thompson from Resident Evil Survivor.
Oh you're right!

Top Bottom