• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance 3 - VGA Trailer Discussion - September 6th, 2011

yencid said:
How the fuck do we not have Gifs yet?

o7rek4.gif
If this is ingame(Couldn't see anything in that trailer) Then I will take back everything I said about IG after R2 and the googlemap.

Always-honest said:
i agree. i plan on buying that new gun thingy
Sony_intros_Sharp_Shooter_gun_controller.jpg

When I first saw the video of that thing, I didn't think it was too hot, but then a minute into it, they started showing the cool features, like how they thought of stuff like having the option of slapping the bottom of the magazine in to do a reload, and I thought "Hey, that's pretty slick! I might actually buy that!"

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Please have a MP Beta...Please have a MP Beta...Please have a MP Beta...Please have a MP Beta...Please have a MP Beta...Please have a MP Beta...Please have a MP Beta...Please have a MP Beta...Please have a MP Beta...Please have a MP Beta...Please have a MP Beta...Please have a MP Beta...Please have a MP Beta...Please have a MP Beta...Please have a MP Beta...Please have a MP Beta...Please have a MP Beta...Please have a MP Beta...

Looks like the proper sequel to Resistance 1. Can't wait. And please bring back the intel, I know it was easy to miss the good story bits but reading it that way was so atmospheric.

jobboy

Man said:
A plea to Insomniac - Above everything else:

- Keep the amount of animation frames demonstrated for the blood effects intact. KZ2/3 dropped the numbers for final release and it's very noticable. I can feel from this R3 demonstration that the shooting aspect is going to be thrilling due this aspect alone. It looks SO right! Superb job.
- MLAA.
- Focus hard on texture detail.
- With the three above in place then framerate above anything else. Super rock-solid locked 30fps, never ever wavering. If ash and aerial particles bog you down, cut it out!
I want this to be clean, lean and mean and a total pleasure to play.

plese..this!!

Man

Btw, the early release date has another great implication for us.

Online Beta in May period??? Omg!?

Man

Between Resistance 3 and Uncharted 3... it really has teached me how it is to be super excited about upcoming games again. I'm selling off my backlog today probably and just focus on the few really enticing titles to come and dropping the mildly enticing and generally respectable productions. Only a handful of titles a year will remain.

Lince

Banned
yencid said:

mother of God, the lighting, the smoke, the explosions... come on even those trees look photorealistic. Even the mighty KZ3 looks a bit cartoon-ish compared to this.

sajj316 said:
Consider it bought!
yup:
The PlayStation Move sharp shooter houses both the motion controller and navigation controller, giving you complete control over aiming, movement and interaction within the game. It will truly offer the most intuitive and immersive control experience ever found in a shooter game. It was designed for both comfort and precision, including easily accessible buttons, a responsive digital trigger, adjustable shoulder stock and convenient access to the navigation controller. In addition, the sharp shooter has incorporated a firing mode selector, realistic pump-action and a reload button (also on the bottom of the grip, like you're slapping in a new clip) that allow for new ways of engagement.
and it seems like a really steady aim.
Lince said:
mother of God, the lighting, the smoke, the explosions... come on even those trees look photorealistic. Even the mighty KZ3 looks a bit cartoon-ish compared to this.

actually, the explosions loke dithered as fuck.. or is that the compression of this vid?

gogogow

Always-honest said:
yup:
and it seems like a really steady aim.

actually, the explosions loke dithered as fuck.. or is that the compression of this vid?
Why do you judge the game (effects) by looking at gifs when there's a proper video?
And no, there's no dithering.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
We need some JS here to answer critical questions like :

- Its going to use the Presence data feature?
- What about screenshots ?
- Health System
- No HUD Option plz!

jstevenson said:
We'll get into this more on the Full Moon Show, I think... and we have to be careful about discussing exactly where we are in dev... but we totally have a lot of content done (2 years of dev so far) w/ a lot of polishing to go.

the game is playable start to finish on disc though, which is pretty insane for an Insomniac game w/ this much time left.

Thats insanely nice! Sounds like all those 2 year dev cycles really improved your skills ;D wax and shine that game! I was really pleased by the trailer, it really makes up for the R2 fiasco.

Haunted

Resistance 3 trailer already won in my heart for showing something approaching a gameplay perspective (even if touched up, I don't know) instead of all the pure CG bs from the other trailers.

Lince

Banned
Always-honest said:
the explosions loke dithered as fuck.. or is that the compression of this vid?

they look fine I think, but I dig the gore a lot. Explosions cut and rip body members apart and set them flying everywhere, in most mature FPS games we only see unscathed bodies bouncing about the screen after some frag nade exploded at their very feet.

KZObsessed

wow, suprised how good it looks.

The animation and gun animation are much improved and at least the shotgun now looks like it has a great impact although that might be due to the exploding Chimera :lol

In R2 the shotgun was just awful, felt like it was firing blanks. An upgrade to the gunplay was desperately needed and it looks like it's being focused on. Splits screen/online co-op too. Excited :D

:bow 2011 :bow

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Mad props to IG for doing a cool trailer with gameplay instead of pure concept CG.

Empty

not hugely interested in the franchise -- though the trailer did hint at something cool with the atmosphere and visual style, so i have my eye on r3 -- but i just want to applaud insomniac for having the balls to show what their game really looks like rather than just using smoke and mirrors cg. bravo!

JB1981

Yoboman said:
The resolution of the gameplay segments seemed really low

I hope that's not reflective of the game
I noticed this as well, lots of aliasing too. The lighting, enemy animations, particle effects and post processing work look amazing though ... Very artistic and moody looking game ... Hope it's for real

AndyD

aka andydumi
Corto said:
Red Faction Resistance? :D Loved it... Fall of 2011 is getting packed.

Yep. That hammer looks vicious.

Looks great. And the splatter is so satisfying for some reason.

Dibbz

Thank god for real ironsights. Hopefully we don't get that half way point like R2 had where it zooms in but still has crosshairs above the gun :|

Why did we doubt you guys Insomniac?? Need more R3 :D

Huggers

Seems I am among the few that loved Resistance 2. This looks absolutely phenomenal. Would like to reiterate that it is very important to keep those blood animations as they are and not to cut frames to lessen the load. The impact such a thing has cannot be underestimated. Stunning trailer

Stoffinator said:
I think it looked impressive. But please make the next trailer game play only. No live action or such.
AS long as you are taking requests IG, I'd like some eggs and toast please.

Right now it looks like they spent a bunch of time refocusing their efforts after R2 and it looks great.

edit: Wait you guys have a 'finished' playable version already, that IS insane for IG. Can't wait to here more.

Ashes

Banned
Huggers said:
Seems I am among the few that loved Resistance 2. This looks absolutely phenomenal. Would like to reiterate that it is very important to keep those blood animations as they are and not to cut frames to lessen the load. The impact such a thing has cannot be underestimated. Stunning trailer

Nah, I'm in there with you. I still missed R1, but R2 by it self was a good game for me. If anyone still has it, play it on easier levels, it's just so much fun....

End of summer is a absolutely perfect time to release R3. Because of Halo consistently launching in that timeframe I always start getting itchy for a new shooter as August ends and R3 will be right there waiting for me.

*Resistance Franchise mega-fan checking in*

Looks fantastic!
Great work Insomniac :D

Only one request. Make sure you keep those buttery smooth controls you had in R2. Still best controlling FPS next to CoD/KZ2/Borderlands.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
KZObsessed said:
wow, suprised how good it looks.

The animation and gun animation are much improved and at least the shotgun now looks like it has a great impact although that might be due to the exploding Chimera :lol

In R2 the shotgun was just awful, felt like it was firing blanks. An upgrade to the gunplay was desperately needed and it looks like it's being focused on. Splits screen/online co-op too. Excited :D

:bow 2011 :bow

The shotty is utterly filthy now for short to low-mid range.

jstevenson said:
The shotty is utterly filthy now for short to low-mid range.
Weapon question - are the grenades that are basically coffee cans full of nails mainly a cosmetic change, or do they play differently as well?

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Cesar said:
There's no way that's actual ingame. Notice they twittered "realtime, in-engine" not "ingame". It's using ingame assets but touched up.

The blood splatter for example, I don't believe for a second that's how it will look when we play it. It's too perfect.

I remember for the first trailer of R&C TOD they also touched up "ingame" material.

The only reason I tweeted it like that was because we did break the camera out. But all of the capture was done in realtime in engine with the game running - even if it was using a directors camera here and there.

jstevenson said:
The only reason I tweeted it like that was because we did break the camera out. But all of the capture was done in realtime in engine with the game running - even if it was using a directors camera here and there.

How Insomniac programmers got that not low resolution particles effect?. WOW!. Graphics are phenomenal. Your team are making a great job. Specially lighting is gorgeous, really!. By the way, are there L1 zooming ironsights or will it be like in R1?.

BeeDog

jstevenson said:

Can you please clarify the resolution question? The trailer makes the game seem extremely sub-HD.

Fersis

BeeDog said:
Can you please clarify the resolution question? The trailer makes the game seem extremely sub-HD.
Neither Resistance renders at 1280x720, R3 will use the same resolution as the others.

Man

Fersis said:
Neither Resistance renders at 1280x720, R3 will use the same resolution as the others.
They are not scaled however. They just have a black bar on top and bottom.

I'm not a fan of Resistance AT ALL, but damn, game looks amazing! I prefer the looks of it than those of Killzone 3. Lighting seems amazing, as does the whole setting. Great atmosphere, good job Insomniac.

filopilo

Man said:
They are not scaled however. They just have a black bar on top and bottom.
1280 x 704 . That's to have a round number of 32x32 tiles for the light prepass light culling.
40x22 tiles.

gogogow said:
Why do you judge the game (effects) by looking at gifs when there's a proper video?
And no, there's no dithering.
hence the "or is it the compression in this vid".
Looks fine in the normal trailer. You're right.

BeeDog said:

yeah.. i hope the aliassing is caused by the bad gametrailer video.. but i think it's in game.

Top Bottom