• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance Burning Skies |OT| Extinguishing the Flames of Vitality

Reclaimer

Decided to pick this up from DD land, against my better judgement. 2 hours in and it's better than the demo for sure, and I'm having some fun. It's decent enough to try out if you like FPS, and there are nuggets of quality.

People act surprised this game is so short. I'm not saying it's right but 4 hour shooter campaigns are the norm now. Call of Duty, Homefront, even the recent Darkness 2 was barely pushing 4 hours.

I just gave the demo a go and it seems to play pretty well at least, but there certainly wasn't anything there that made me want to buy it, beyond the fact that it was something new for the Vita. I'll likely pick it up years down the track.

At the very least the demo showed to me the potential for the genre on the system, it feels pretty cool to be playing an FPS with twin-stick control on a handheld.

No seriously...

I can't get over how fucking bad the sound design/quality is in this. It's borderline DS quality in some parts and just non-existance in others. It honestly as bad as say, Viking: Battle for Asgard.

Tried the demo again and yeah, it controls quite damn good but basically makes you want a proper FPS on the handheld and not this D-Tier effort.

Ardenyal

The MP seems to be working a little better now. Got a couple deathmatch games in and i actually had fun with it. Graphics seemed better in the MP maps. No PS2esque empty hallways with random filing cabinets like in the SP campaign. No noticable lag although there were a couple double kills.

Apath

I still cant connect to the multiplayer at all. Single player gun play is really good though. This game proves that the Vita can work for shooters.

Good -- it's about damn time the genre had a strong handheld presence.

I agree, can't wait personally. Game isn't out here till tomorrow so quite pleased to hear GAF enjoying the game more than (most of) the reviews suggested.

Hopefully we'll see Killzone Vita at E3.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
lolz. $7 gameloft games are longer than that!

4 hours speedrunning it or 4 hours doing about all you can?

how do you know gameloft games are longer than 4 hrs? I don't know anyone who has been able to play a gameloft game for longer than 30 minutes before getting pissed off and not playing it anymore.

to be somewhat judicious with criticism, 4-5 (or 6 hours) plus multiplayer seems fairly standard these days.

how do you know gameloft games are longer than 4 hrs? I don't know anyone who has been able to play a gameloft game for longer than 30 minutes before getting pissed off and not playing it anymore.

to be somewhat judicious with criticism, 4-5 (or 6 hours) plus multiplayer seems fairly standard these days.

I think anyone who can finish a Gameloft game is the real hard core gamer.

Why does the bullseye sound like an ak47?

more like why does the bullseye and most of the sound effects sound like placeholder shit?

That being said, man I do enjoy the gunplay in the demo. I just couldn't live with myself though if I payed full MSRP for such a middling game =(

Wish Sony Bend wouldn't have handled this...

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Why does the bullseye sound like an ak47?
I think it sounds like a person farting through a pillow.

The game does an okay job depicting the craziness of the invasion. Seeing the chimera ship pass overhead when you step out of the power station with the music does sort of inspire a real sense of anxiety and fear. But I can't help but think this would be a lot more chaotic on an hd console. Still, nice.

Though I almost wonder...Tom is kinda quiet. Were I like him, I'd be like what the htdidnejeufnfkeisifjdjd

Cornbread78

The game does an okay job depicting the craziness of the invasion. Seeing the chimera ship pass overhead when you step out of the power station with the music does sort of inspire a real sense of anxiety and fear. But I can't help but think this would be a lot more chaotic on an hd console. Still, nice.

Though I almost wonder...Tom is kinda quiet. Were I like him, I'd be like what the htdidnejeufnfkeisifjdjd

It's his disposition, let's face it, he's the tough quite protagonist.....

Honestly, I have no complaints other than the MP not working at this point. The game has run really smoothly thus far and the gun battles are pretty good, although I'm contemplating throwing my VITA against a wall while trying to beat this 2nd boss. WTF, I can't kill the little blow up bastards quick enough to stop them from killing me.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
How's the framerate in the final game? The early videos looked like a mess.
So much faster than ALL of the pre-release media.

It actually holds 30 fps the vast majority of the time and runs MUCH smoother overall than Uncharted Golden Abyss. The game really doesn't look half bad in person and it definitely runs decently well.

So much faster than ALL of the pre-release media.

It actually holds 30 fps the vast majority of the time and runs MUCH smoother overall than Uncharted Golden Abyss. The game really doesn't look half bad in person and it definitely runs decently well.

You bought it?

Carl

So, impressions after playing the first level.

My first thought was "holy shit the sound is terrible" and i haven't stopped thinking that since. The bullseye sounds like someone farting underwater. The cutscenes sound like all dialogue is being said whilst talking through a pillow - it sounds really muffled.

However, in terms of actual gameplay, i think it's really quite good. The controls work well - much better than i expected them too. I was thinking i would miss Uncharted's gyro aiming, but the aiming in BS is great. No need for gyros at all. The weapons are ace and, as said in this thread, i think it does a pretty good job of showing the invasion so far.

The graphics are pretty meh. They aren't complete shit but they definitely aren't anywhere near as good as a lot of Vita games.

Overall i'm pretty happy with it so far :)

Massa

The Carbine and Bullseye sound wonderful compared to one of the weapons you get a few chapters in where the sound effects don't even work half the time.

dark10x

You bought it?
Yeah.

I had some Amazon credit so I figured I'd give it a shot.

I recognize that I only picked it up as a result of the game drought on Vita and this wouldn't really stack up as a great game on consoles BUT I'm actually still having fun.

What I'm liking about it is the fact that it remains pretty fast paced and focuses more on run and gun action rather than sitting back and taking out enemies at a distance. It feels like something I might have played 10 years ago and that's not really a bad thing as it has a different flavor from most everything else around today. I'm actually enjoying it quite a bit more than Resistance 2, in fact, and I appreciate how well it keeps moving logically forward. The series has always had issues with randomly jumping around to very different locales in a very jarring fashion where as Burning Skies actually has a more natural feeling to its progression with lengthy levels that all feed into one another. You feel as if you are in an area and working your way through it rather than just jumping around the country.

It moves and feels better than Resistance 1 or 2, I would say. Until R3, I always felt as if the weapons as they appeared on screen and the animation of said weapons was stiff and underdeveloped. Same deal with the first person camera movement. The games just felt incredible stiff and dated. Burning Skies does a much better job with both of these elements which goes a lot way with me. Nothing was more embarrassing looking than pulling up "iron sights" in R2.

It definitely feels under-cooked overall, but I'm still having a good time. The sound, though, is absolutely awful. Good soundtrack (again, better than R1 and 2), but man, the sound effects are some of the worst I've ever heard.

SmokyDave

No matter how hard up I am for Vita games, I can't get myself tempted by this. I enjoyed the very first Resistance and had a brief dalliance with the PSP game but I see nothing to get excited about here :(

I think anyone who can finish a Gameloft game is the real hard core gamer.

I clocked 'Tintin' and rather enjoyed it. No regrets.

I bought this last night and hopefully it's downloaded when I get home. I'm disappointed I never got to play the PSP game, I always heard good things.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member

Carl said:
The bullseye sounds like someone farting underwater.

vcm3K.gif

Anyhoo, I tried the demo last night, and I must say I'm liking it as well. Probably will just buy the unlock key off PSN, even though I prefer physical copies. The only problem I had was the dialog completely dropping out when you meet up with your family. After they finished talking, the voices picked right back up.

spats

I like this game. I'm very glad that I purchased it. It's pretty clear that it's rushed, but there's a really likeable shooter underneath the bad audio work and other small issues.

SCEE DD pricing was a fucking highway robbery though.

newsguy

Audio is shit. I tried using my $300 headphones and all it did was amplify the amount of shit going into my ears. I'm enjoying the game alot, although I miss the ragdoll stuff. I remember throwing that spike grenade in the PS3 versions and watching guys go limp when impaled. Now everything just explodes :/

spats

Audio is shit. I tried using my $300 headphones and all it did was amplify the amount of shit going into my ears. I'm enjoying the game alot, although I miss the ragdoll stuff. I remember throwing that spike grenade in the PS3 versions and watching guys go limp when impaled. Now everything just explodes :/

Speaking of explosions, this game has gorgeous explosions.

dark10x

Yeah, that's pretty lame. It's clear that they were struggling with performance from the beginning (as evidenced by early videos) so it makes sense that such features would be cut.

Still, for such a technically unimpressive engine, it still manages to look very decent much of the time. The animation is generally much nicer looking while playing than in R1 or 2 as well.

My copy is lost in the mail (delivered to the wrong address). :(

Might buy one in store today and hope that Future Shop can get this sorted out with Canada Post so I can eventually return the shipped copy.

TEH-CJ

Banned

Lmao

so....is this better than R2?

anyone?

I ended up returning my copy of Resistance. I love my Vita but truth be told I'm desperate for some games on it. I love sitting on my couch and getting some handheld gaming in. Or have my daily 3 hour commute fly by because I'm so engrossed in my game.

Despite the poor scores I picked up the game. And to be honest it's definitely NOT a 2/10 or anything or the sort but after 2 hours of playing it I just had no desire in the slightest to continue playing.

My main gripes are:

-Poor sound quality and lack of music. Gun sounds are muffled and omni directional. In most games even with headphones I can deduce where I'm being shot from just by the sound. Not here. Also, it literally sounds like I'm popping popcorn. It's so bad it just takes me out of the experience. Walking around in dead silence with no music to set the mood or pace is just a turn off as well.

-Poor A.I. Even on hard I'm seeing enemies running in place facing crates. Standing with their back to me as I shoot them.

-Broken multiplayer. I don't have the patience to wait on a patch. Perhaps it was already released but too little, too late for me.

-Crappy resolution cut-scene & tutorial videos. It's just a huge disservice to the amazing screen of the Vita to have grainy, poor quality, pixilated videos.

-Touchscreen controls were a pain. I understand what they were going for but every time my thumb tapped the screen when using the sticks, I'd either hit the melee button or accidentally trigger the secondary weapon functions.

+The dual stick controls were spot on and felt VERY natural. I could EASILY see the Vita doing some phenomenal things with FPS's. Why we didn't have Black Ops or MW3 as a launch title baffles me. Shit would have made bank with minimal porting effort.

I ended up returning it to Gamestop and preordering Gravity Rush. In the end, the game honestly needed much more work to be a satisfying experience and to be worth $40. I always said, I don't mind paying top dollar for high production values but the prod. values in this game were heavily compromised.

TEH-CJ

Banned
So far, i say yes it is. Not as good looking (or sounding) but more fun.

And it has a weapon wheel which instantly makes it 1000000000000000 times better than R2

Well I did enjoy R2, despite the flaws it had

might pick this up....

cheers bra.

Just tried the demo, i was expecting some serious shit, but i´m pleasantly surprised, the controls are ace minus the touchscreen shoehorned actions, the double tap in the backtouch works fine and is a clever solution for sprinting imho, the gunplay is really really good...the graphics are ok for the most part, nothing stellar though (with some really shitty things here and there)

The worst part is the audio without any doubt, just atrocious, the Bullseye sounds like a goddamn water pistol.

Edit: I forgot about the awful video compression, almost like 240p youtube bad

I have to say I'm really enjoying this. Yeah the graphics could be better and the sound isn't the best, but the gameplay is spot on. I was really craving a new vita game that was just straight up fun, that's what this is for me. I can't get into multiplayer either though, hopefully that gets fixed soon.

Carl

I have to say I'm really enjoying this. Yeah the graphics could be better and the sound isn't the best, but the gameplay is spot on. I was really craving a new vita game that was just straight up fun, that's what this is for me. I can't get into multiplayer either though, hopefully that gets fixed soon.

Pretty much exactly my thoughts. How the fuck Sterling thought this deserved no more than 2/10 is beyond me

I agree.

Pretty much exactly my thoughts. How the fuck Sterling thought this deserved no more than 2/10 is beyond me

I know. I don't know what he was thinking... or maybe we wasn't. lol

krumble

100% agree
maybe I went in with low expectations given all the negative press, but I'm really enjoying the demo - and will probably buy the full game now - and crossing fingers that patching can fix any niggles

DSmalls84

Yeah was coming here to pretty much post the same thing. I could see this game getting anywhere from a 6.5-8 but I really do not see how a 2 score is possible. Controls are good, graphics are better than anything I saw on psp by a good margin, weapons are interesting. So far it is pretty much what I was expecting, and my opinion on the game would be pretty close to the gametrailers review.

Cudder

Tip: when you guys open doors or pick something upwhere the hand symbol comes up you dont actually have to touch the symbol. You can touch anywhere on screen.

Top Bottom