• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro Achievements!

yatesl

Id like it if they revisited some of these games, with a new set of achievements. Call a ROM a certain name, and it loads a new database.

Standard ones for Zelda, but rename it ALttP Hard, or something, and the achievement set turns in to only use 3 hearts etc.

I replay Super Metroid every year, so I don't need any extra motivation. I'm going to go home and play it tonight, though, on this emu.

Rubius

This x100000000.
"Retro" and "achievements" together in one single sentence are such a blasphemy.

Not really. Look at Hammerwatch. It's a retro style Gauntlet game, and have achievements. It use achievements pretty well where each boss is an achievements, you have achievements for beating the game, or not.

Achievements are great because they tell you "Come on Buddy, you can do it, you can go further and beat the game!" And then they give you a tap on the back when you do.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
again, just like the widely-popular 360/PS3 achievements have done for a while now? i don't see why not to start with the same. it's not like their existence somehow negates the logically more weighted ones for beating the game on hard.
Just because others make the same mistake doesn't mean one has to follow. An achievement for beating the game is all well and good, but you don't need one for every level. And you have to agree that an achievement for collecting a mushroom in Mario is a pisstake.

I don't find anything wrong with the concept of achievements, but I feel lazy achievements cheapen the whole thing.

Alric

This is a neat idea. It doesn't hurt the games in any way and you don't have to use them if you don't want so I don't see why anyone would be so against it. Hope more obscure games I played as a kid get on there as well. Like "the immortal" for genesis.

yatesl

sJNJl3w.png

This is the start of a beautiful relationship. Here's my profile.

Beckx

Oh, thanks, Irish, for rubbing it in that I STILL DON'T HAVE A COPY OF MUSHA.

(best achievements of all time were in retro games: like changing the title screen in mario kart games after you beat all the courses. :)

Kinsei

Banned
Here's a link to my profile since everyone else seems to be doing it.

http://retroachievements.org/user/Kinsei

A quick question for those of you who are playing on hardcore mode. Are you able to load your save files? I started a new file on DKC in order to get the hardcore achievements, but when I went to restart the game after taking a break, the file was gone. I'd like to know if this was just a glitch or if hardcore mode requires you to beat the game in a single sitting.

IrishNinja

You can't say 360/PS3 achievements are "wildly popular" given they are activated by default and can't be turned off (or can't be easily turned off, I haven't looked into that). So most players do have achievements, but it doesn't mean anything about their popularity.

based on sony aping the concept & the ton of sites supporting them/showing how to get them, the competition they created & discussion they get here on GAF alone? yes, i can. they're quite popular.

Oh, thanks, Irish, for rubbing it in that I STILL DON'T HAVE A COPY OF MUSHA.

(best achievements of all time were in retro games: like changing the title screen in mario kart games after you beat all the courses. :)

aw man, me neither; i had to sell my old collection over 10 years ago, the copy i have now is such a repro too, haha. and i totally forgot what the original title screen looks like.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Oh my god there's Bare Knuckle 2/Streets of Rage 2 achievements. And they aren't clones of the PSN release.

Maybe want.

I'm not usually fond of playing games in emulators, but this could be a pretty awesome idea.

I might have to look into this at some point.

Thanks for the link and information.

So a couple of notes just looking over things.

I wish they were not assigning points to achievements. I think the Steam approach is the most ideal out of all Xbox, PlayStation and iOS variations. There, they just let a game have as many achievements as it wants and your "score" is your completion percentage. You can also sort by rarest achievements to see which ones are, essentially, more valuable.

Secondly, being community designed, I don't have much faith in seeing a good ratio of well designed achievements to crummy ones.

IrishNinja

history has now recorded my ability to beat Alien Storm (but not on hard or 1cc...), onto Moonwalker, then Shadow Dancer i believe!

nkarafo

Why pollute older games with crap like this?

"You fired up a laser"

Wow, i'm so good....

Edit: Also emulators. Do these ones support Save States?. Even the most impossible achievements will be easy this way.

Jachaos

If Megaman Battle Network 3 had a platinum trophy for completing pretty much everything in that content filled game, I probably would've been in the 0.1% to earn it.

Edit : MMBN isn't supported for achievements in this right ? I can't seem to find a comprehensive list of what is and what isn't.

Wait... I can find MMBN 4.5 are you serious. That's the only game supported ? The unofficial one ? And it only has 1 achievement. Gargh if you're to have achievements for one why couldn't be 3 ! Or any but 4 really, though it would've made for the most impressive and toughest achievements considering how I didn't feel like re-playing much.

"You fired up a laser"

Wow, i'm so good....

Edit: Also emulators. Do these ones support Save States?. Even the most impossible achievements will be easy this way.
Yeah, save states are in, at least on NES, so it kind of kills the whole point if you can just save and reload until you get something right.

Kinsei

Banned

"You fired up a laser"

Wow, i'm so good....

There are save states but you get double the achievement points for playing on hardcore mode, which disables save states.

Nimajneb

With retro games, the only achievement that matters is beating the game. It would be much cooler if the site just assigned different amounts of points, depending on the difficulty of the game you beat. Getting points for arbitrary checkpoints that don't require any additional skill or effort is lame.

IrishNinja

Shadow Dancer down! took longer than i recall, damn that last guy (& his minions) are a pain in the dick

more grouchy "IN MY DAY" old dudes showed up, cool

also for those who think they should be score-based ones too: i beat Moonwalker, but am gonna go back later on hard to get some of the top-tier score ones it has, no idea how you get like a million points in that game but there it is

There are save states but you get double the achievement points for playing on hardcore mode, which disables save states.

yeah, was gonna point that out in case the drive-bys actually return for some reason

Griss

Super Mario Bros

Nothing like get multiple 1ups from bouncing on a shell. No find all the warp zones. No enter world minus 1. It just falls foul of the usual beat the game normally to unlock most of the achievements problem that people complain about.

Not even a get killed by the first Goomba achievement called "We've all done it".

Super Mario World is even worse. Beat the bosses doesn't need to be an achievement. You do that normally when playing the game. Achievements should be extra challenges.

I despair...

Looking at this I'm assuming that this site must be some kind of meta-commentary on how shit achievements are. Someone please tell me that that's what this is.

As someone else said... Ban this sick filth.

Looking at this I'm assuming that this site must be some kind of meta-commentary on how shit achievements are. Someone please tell me that that's what this is.

As someone else said... Ban this sick filth.

Is fun, and we get to have a FL on retro games. I see achievements as bookmarks.

IrishNinja

iMCnMfi.jpg

let em know Shinobis

working on Revenge of Shinobi now...just found out that the ROM i have on this system is the 2nd version (one where spider-man is licensed, i think bat-man is replaced by devil-man) which means i gotta find the original & play again later, haha.

I got one of the guys to add an achievement. They seem pretty open to ideas.

i need to mess with their forums & achievement suggestion stuff more, that's awesome though! for instance, i'd prolly replay Shadow Dancer if they added a good one for no shuriken mode.

I notice there's a message tab. Can you message folks via the client or site? I try clicking on a name but no clue. And having mapping issues with the 360 pad. I want to add the overlay to the guide button...

IrishNinja

^hadn't tried either of those yet, was trying to sort out how to see friend invites if you disable the email notification. im sure you know but you can press ESC in-game to see the list!

Robin64

Their modified VBA just kept crashing for me, seemingly randomly. After a few minutes of play, boom, just locked. Haven't been able to get much further than getting the sword in Link's Awakening thanks to that, and because I was playing on Hardcore I can't save state either.

I got one of the guys to add an achievement. They seem pretty open to ideas.

Awesome, and I just started playing it too. Good stuff :) I'm going for that achievement in your honor.
BGBW said:
Like I said, I'm not against the idea itself, just some of the implementation. Problem is I don't see them removing some of the pointless ones.

The Revenge Of Shinobi Ones are good IMO. and some are BS(Like Shadow Dancer)But hey, I admire what they're trying to do, and I see it getting better at times go on. I see the easy ones as BETA(Early ones) I going to contribute for rare games.

IrishNinja

damn, it's been so long i forget how to get through the maze leading to the final fight...ah well, i'll have to come back to this part! this is where i'm grateful for save states, since i gotta get going. i'll try to legit save whats-her-name though, since like half the time i beat Revenge she dies anyway, haha.

come to think of it, at least it's not as troubling as the bad ending in Amazing Spidey vs Kingpin...yikes.

i'll get cracking on some games tonight, can't stay last on our leaderboards now can i?! :D
(if IrishNinja is up for updating the OP with all participants that would be great and easier to add friends!)

IrishNinja

(if IrishNinja is up for updating the OP with all participants that would be great and easier to add friends!)

great idea; done and done! gonna let others in Retro-GAF know about this as well. it'd be neat if we got some mock-gamercard thing down the road!

Chunky

I'll echo the sentiment that I wish there were more creative cheesemints, I don't know stuff like 'Bounce on 5 enemies in Castle of Illusion without hitting the ground'.
Having messed around with it a bit though, it seems pretty cool, at least as a way of recording your progress. Hope these guys keep working/improving on this thing :)

edit:
oh god making your own acheivements is a rabbit hole I really want to down...all these hexadecimals...

Top Bottom