• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro AV Club Thread 2: Classic Gaming Done Right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bodine1231

Really the next step are consoles like the AVS and not scalers. When every major 16 bit console and 32 bit console has its own fpga solution I'll consider ditching my crts.

Rirse

Neo Member
Ugh, I got my backlight screen and casing for the GBA, and while the backlight works (still need to find a soldering iron as it too bright right now), there is a scratch on the screen that causes a slight rainbow effect around where it at. Don't want to have to wait for another replacement screen as every solution to fix a scratch is 'buy a new screen" it seems.

Peagles

Ugh, I got my backlight screen and casing for the GBA, and while the backlight works (still need to find a soldering iron as it too bright right now), there is a scratch on the screen that causes a slight rainbow effect around where it at. Don't want to have to wait for another replacement screen as every solution to fix a scratch is 'buy a new screen" it seems.

It didn't come with a protective film???

bodine1231

Please take at least one shot with all of those PVMs playing the same game at the same time.

Ok boys,just ordered some power cords,a surge protector and 20 BNC cables. Sunday I'll put up some pics and maybe do a video on 5 PVM's running at once. I'll probably trip a breaker or something with this but we'll see,lol.

(what game should I show?)

Ok boys,just ordered some power cords,a surge protector and 20 BNC cables. Sunday I'll put up some pics and maybe do a video on 5 PVM's running at once. I'll probably trip a breaker or something with this but we'll see,lol.

I'm visualizing some kind of Doc Brown lab with lights dimming and smoke coming from the monitors...

bodine1231

Hey is anybody interested in a set of both SNES and Genesis + Saturn adapter HD Retrovision cables? I'll sell them at a loss (paid $130 shipped) I really really want an SD2SNES right now to replace my Everdrive.

_SAKY_

Hey is anybody interested in a set of both SNES and Genesis + Saturn adapter HD Retrovision cables? I'll sell them at a loss (paid $130 shipped) I really really want an SD2SNES right now to replace my Everdrive.

If you can wait until the holidays (Black Friday?) then distributors typically offer 20% off on flash carts. Wanting greater compatibility or just ditching that 3.3v Everdrive?

bodine1231

If you can wait until the holidays (Black Friday?) then distributors typically offer 20% off on flash carts. Wanting greater compatibility or just ditching that 3.3v Everdrive?

I had an SD2SNES when they came out and sold it,regret it now. The Super Everdrive is very barebones,I especially miss the instant loading and MSU-1 games. I wanted to play through the Satellaview Zelda games as well.

Rirse

Neo Member
I'm going to return the backlight kit. Not only I had the scratch in the screen, but there was a few other issues like the casing not fitting the screen (even through they shipped together) and the screws with it striping after a few times. I just find a person who can do the mod for me.

Peagles

I think it had some paper on top of it. Seller just told me he going to sent a replacement screen since the one that came with it is bad.

Hmm okay. Every screen I've had has a protective film you peel off before use. Sounds like they maybe tried to sell an old one to you.

Galdelico

Yeah it's a real grass is greener thing, the other gear seems attractive because it's the other gear.
I think that's very true as well. Beautiful photos, extremely fancy setups... Yet, the personal problem I have with bad geometry is real. :D

See, this is kind of odd, since - real talk - I have OCD in real life, nothing major, but my leaving-home- and going-to-bed- routines can be lengthy - but the screen geometry doesn't really bother me all that much. Sure, a border can be wavy, and not perfectly straight. Some games have different screen spaces, where as within a console some game might have a black border while another pushes into overscan territory. My PVM has a pretty good geometry, although sides curve a bit.

I'm dedicated to playing games on my PVM as long as it holds out, since let's be honest, even if it's not the best model (20M4E/U) the retro games on it look fucking awesome.

But after that I will probably start looking into getting an OSSC, or who knows, if my PVM keeps it together, what new solutions they have come up with. I don't have space to keep spare PVM's or CRT's stored up and even if I did, the supply is starting to get very thin out here in the wilderness, not like the US where you can still make great hauls.

I do however have sometimes thought that when I have friends over it would be nice to play on the big screen TV, but then again, most of my friends seem to have no issue with huddling in front of a 20' PVM. Maybe it's a throwback to our childhood.
Nono, that's completely fair. I really believe everyone's different, on top of the fact one can always redirect the OCD towards a new target. :)

I played for absolute bloody AGES with consumer CRT TVs that had all kinds of crap going on with their screen/geometry. Now, for some reason, I can even tell when the 4:3 frame of a game is not pixel-perfectly centered on a 16:9 panel. Maybe it's something that irks my graphic designer self, but still... ¯_(ツ)_/¯

RetroUSB's wireless NES gamepad is up for order

gp-box.png

As for the AVS itself, don't expect it to ship until late August

Galdelico

Since last time I asked was months ago... Still no reasonably easy ways to buy an AVS from Europe? Shipping + customs would bump the price (almost) to Analogue NT Mini levels, which is something I'm not willing to pay yet.

As always with retro stuff like this that looks like it was thoughtfully designed to fill a need, I'm thinking about biting. But like with the Retrovision cables, I'm afraid it will not be quite right and I'll just have to turn around and sell. Luckily the retro community is so insatiable that there's always buyers.

Would like to see some impressions or reviews. I'm not as down on the design as when I first saw it.

Got my Framemeister yesterday and have been trying it out with a PS2 Slim. I have a couple things I'm confused about.

1. I here the framemeister isn't brilliant with 480p component from the PS2. Am I better off playing all PS2 games through scart in 240p/480i, even the ones that support 480p?

2. Is it fine to use my PS1 scart cable with the PS2? It's a sync on luma cable from retrogamingcables, but I notice on their site they sell a different scart cable for PS2s with no capacitors inside.

3. They also sell a CSYNC scart cable "for up-scalers like the Framemeister XRGB-mini", but I'm not sure what advantages it would have over the sync on luma?

So basically, what's the best cable to use with a PS2 and the Framemeister?

1. I here the framemeister isn't brilliant with 480p component from the PS2. Am I better off playing all PS2 games through scart in 240p/480i, even the ones that support 480p?

That's kind of a myth, or rather a misunderstanding. What people mean to say is that the Framemeister excels at upscaling 240p/480i content, making it look as good or better than analog displays of RGB. The Framemeister upscales 480p great, however many HDTVs upscale 480p well also so the difference is nowhere near as large as between Framemeister and HDTV trying to upscale 15khz signals. Some people have reported that some 480p systems, like GC, look better to them plugged in directly to the HDTV component inputs than going through the Framemeister.

So basically, what's the best cable to use with a PS2 and the Framemeister?

The PS2 is a special case imo because there isn't actually all that much 480p content on it. There is just as much 480i, some of it able to be set in game to 240p. The GC, Wii, Xbox, and DC on the other hand have a higher ratio of 30khz to 15khz content.

I plug all of my 6th gen consoles into the Framemeister, the convenience outways any slight differences in picture that I could get going straight component. And especially with PS2, where 480i is so common, it would be annoying to switch back and forth.

My 2 cents.

Thanks for the response. Tried it out with my PS1 cable and it looks great.

Only issue is that for some reason I can't get scanlines to show up in 576p/50Hz (I'm Pal so only res that works for scanlines) when playing PS2 games.

I get scanlines when playing PS1 games on PS2 in 576p, but when playing PS2 games it does nothing. They do show up when outputting at any other resolution, just not with the one resolution I actually need them for.

This is debatable at best. Just compare the OSSC's 480x2 to a comparable framemeister profile. The framemeister definitely has some issues.

that said, yeah, the framemeister is pretty ideal for the vast majority of PS2 content.

By "great" I don't mean "the absolute, undeniable best thing on the market." OSSC isn't that for all content either. There are trade offs. Objectively speaking, the Framemeister makes 480p games look very good on 720p and 1080p HDTVs. There is room for saying something is good without meaning it's "teh best eva." Well, maybe not on the internet...

By "great" I don't mean "the absolute, undeniable best thing on the market." OSSC isn't that for all content either. There are trade offs. Objectively speaking, the Framemeister makes 480p games look very good on 720p and 1080p HDTVs. There is room for saying something is good without meaning it's "teh best eva." Well, maybe not on the internet...
When talking about scalers, especially 300+ USD scalers designed for this exact purpose, having awful ringing on 480p content is not great. The OSSC's 480p and 480px2 outputs are 1:1 and 1:2 without any noticeable issues. The first is literally just going from analog to digital, and the latter gives the exact same picture as being output from the console with pixels 2x larger on each axis. There is no trade off. One does not do what it's supposed to. One does.

When talking about scalers, especially 300+ USD scalers designed for this exact purpose, having awful ringing on 480p content is not great. The OSSC's 480p and 480px2 outputs are 1:1 and 1:2 without any noticeable issues. The first is literally just going from analog to digital, and the latter gives the exact same picture as being output from the console with pixels 2x larger on each axis. There is no trade off. One does not do what it's supposed to. One does.

Right, and the OSSC has funny 480i upscaling, everyone knows this. I'm just saying it's weird internet culture to say the Framemeister doesn't do well with 480p. I just don't understand the idea that only the thing you think is the best can be called good, and everything else is immediately downgraded to objectively bad when something a little better comes out. Same culture as "this band is the worst, this is the best." Everything starts at 100.

Right, and the OSSC has funny 480i upscaling, everyone knows this. I'm just saying it's weird internet culture to say the Framemeister doesn't do well with 480p. I just don't understand the idea that only the thing you think is the best can be called good, and everything else is immediately downgraded to objectively bad when something a little better comes out. Same culture as "this band is the worst, this is the best." Everything starts at 100.
No, the OSSC has bob deinterlacing. Otherwise it handles 480i perfectly. Does exactly what it says.

And i'm just saying it's straight up wrong to say that the framemeister does well with 480p. The standard should be a straight 1:1/2/3/4/5 conversion when it comes to upscaling, and while the framemeister manages this with other resolutions fantastically, it introduces really bad ringing on 480p.

And this doesn't even tackle the fact that the OSSC offers reduced noise at 480p with the PS2 by proxy of being compatible with RGsB, which avoids the PS2's noisy component out.

It's fine to recommend the framemeister to people for people who are looking for a high quality upscaler for the PS2. but it's because of the amazing 480i deinterlacing method. Acting like the 480p is good just leads to people misunderstanding and being disappointed when they can't figure out why a profile that says it gives them a perfect 1:2 upscale doesn't seem to have square pixels anymore.

And this doesn't even tackle the fact that the OSSC offers reduced noise at 480p with the PS2 by proxy of being compatible with RGsB, which avoids the PS2's noisy component out.

This is factually disagree with. Phonedork has a segment on it. Yeah sure you can throw some color testing software at it and point out this or that, but in the real world PS2 component out is difficult to distinguish from RGsB, with the added convenience of handling 15-31khz in all devices.

Is there an easy way for me to know if my retro_console_accessories Model 1 Genesis SCART w/headphone stereo audio input cable is ok or not?

This is the cable I bought years ago from retro_console_accessories, a screenshot right from my eBay history. So do I have to do something about it?

Kalnos

Banned
This is the cable I bought years ago from retro_console_accessories, a screenshot right from my eBay history. So do I have to do something about it?

PM her that screenshot / transaction id / your username on eBay or send her an email. I read on Reddit that she can tell you whether or not you need to do something if you give her that information.

televator

This is factually disagree with. Phonedork has a segment on it. Yeah sure you can throw some color testing software at it and point out this or that, but in the real world PS2 component out is difficult to distinguish from RGsB, with the added convenience of handling 15-31khz in all devices.

And I, in turn, will disagree with this. The PS2's component out is very distinguishable in game even when comparing YPbPr and YCbCr.

Justinh

That's one of the ugliest controllers I've ever seen.
I'm holding off judgement until I get mine. It did put me off when I first saw it, but it kinda looks shaped like a bigger/wider NESMax (and the shape wasn't the problem I have with that controller). I'm just happy for the horizontal buttons.

Saw this on their facebook too.
I don't think it's going to be that bad, but that's just a hunch so far.
And microswitches for the d-pad? like the clicky type?
From what I remember seeing somewhere, all inputs will be microswitches and no rubber membrane will be inside so I think everything will be clicky. I can't remember where I saw that though (I think facebook, and I don't really want to go back).

NES had one of the worst controllers ever so I'd reserve judgement but ideally there'd be a way I could use my Genesis controller in an NES like I can on a Master System.

Finally got all the SCART cables I needed to hook up my consoles to my gscartsw.. this thing is perfect, no loss in image quality at all on my PVM, and I’m so glad I don’t need to unplug and plug in SCART cables now. Just turn on the console I want to play. Finally got a SCART for my old PS1 that apparently still works, busted out the guncon and played some Point Blank on the PVM. So good.

Now I’m shipping out my N64 to Voultar to get RGB modded and after that and getting a Toro for my DC I will have Famicom, SNES, N64, PS1 and DC all working with SCART on my PVM and Framemeister. Genesis will be next after that.

bodine1231

Got this badboy in yesterday. My most wanted console,and its in beautiful condition! Got it RGB modded,new caps,new lense,etc. Love it!

6HCNwS2l.jpg

1poabhFl.jpg

yD6rk2Bl.jpg

I'm holding off judgement until I get mine. It did put me off when I first saw it, but it kinda looks shaped like a bigger/wider NESMax (and the shape wasn't the problem I have with that controller). I'm just happy for the horizontal buttons.

Saw this on their facebook too.

I don't think it's going to be that bad, but that's just a hunch so far.
From what I remember seeing somewhere, all inputs will be microswitches and no rubber membrane will be inside so I think everything will be clicky. I can't remember where I saw that though (I think facebook, and I don't really want to go back).

If someone makes an NES sticker to go over the front it could look better.

Finally got all the SCART cables I needed to hook up my consoles to my gscartsw.. this thing is perfect, no loss in image quality at all on my PVM, and I'm so glad I don't need to unplug and plug in SCART cables now. Just turn on the console I want to play. Finally got a SCART for my old PS1 that apparently still works, busted out the guncon and played some Point Blank on the PVM. So good.

Now I'm shipping out my N64 to Voultar to get RGB modded and after that and getting a Toro for my DC I will have Famicom, SNES, N64, PS1 and DC all working with SCART on my PVM and Framemeister. Genesis will be next after that.

I want one really bad but it'll be the last thing I buy in my setup. I still want an RGB NES and MVS first to finish all the consoles. Right now it just takes a second for me to switch cables so its not a necessity,but its damn cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom