• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro AV Club Thread 2: Classic Gaming Done Right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TAFK

So I'm really getting into PS2 gaming now but they all look like crap on my TV. Does anyone have any recommendations for a Component cable to get for the system? I see a bunch on amazon/ebay but I've heard certain third party ones are crap.

So I'm really getting into PS2 gaming now but they all look like crap on my TV. Does anyone have any recommendations for a Component cable to get for the system? I see a bunch on amazon/ebay but I've heard certain third party ones are crap.
You can get ps3 component cables from reputable dealers or first party and you'll be fine.

i brought a cheap 3rd party cable from gamestop 8 years ago and it's still working like a champ. i really wouldn't fuss too much over ps2 component cables as you can find them cheap. though if you can find a 1st party for cheap, even better.

same for the wii, i have some cheap 5 dollar cable that's been still going strong for several years.

Timu

Get this, it's what I use and works very well.

Hey guys, need to enlist ya'll again for assistance, though this one might be more specific to davidwangchoi :)

So I'm having trouble playing The House of the Dead (saturn import) on my trinitron KV- 24fv 300 using a nyko cobra (a psx/saturn light gun). Here's a video that illustrates the issue as I struggle apparently to film onehanded.

Any ideas on why the gun isn't calibrating properly? TV is 60 hz (not 100hz like some ppl have had difficulties with it in the little documentatio that survives on light gun troubleshooting). Any help would be more than appreciated!

No one? :(

IrishNinja

A few more pics of Wii Ware stuff... wish there was a 240p mode for these. If anyone knows a way to force it, please let me know. Would be a good excuse to play through these again.

the 3 rebirth games not getting a physical release was one of last gen's biggest crimes, i thought

eEK!

Neo Member
Hey guys, need to enlist ya'll again for assistance, though this one might be more specific to davidwangchoi :)

So I'm having trouble playing The House of the Dead (saturn import) on my trinitron KV- 24fv 300 using a nyko cobra (a psx/saturn light gun). Here's a video that illustrates the issue as I struggle apparently to film onehanded.

Any ideas on why the gun isn't calibrating properly? TV is 60 hz (not 100hz like some ppl have had difficulties with it in the little documentatio that survives on light gun troubleshooting). Any help would be more than appreciated!

Couldn't really tell how the calibration worked on your video, so I'd have to default to the cobra maybe not working well with HotD.

Other than the GunCons light guns tended to be pretty wonky and some times you just needed a different gun for different games.

I seem to remember the Cobra being okay for Die Hard Trilogy on PSX, but I don't remember if its Saturn compatibility was just a cheap gimmick (considering the state of third party peripherals of that time I'd lean towards cheap gimmick).

Yes! The Wii was what truly got me back into console gaming, because it once again made game mechanics, and not presentation, at the front. This also led to the return of 2D-games with stuff like Mega Man 9 and the 30 million+ seller New Super Mario Bros Wii, and for that I will be forever grateful. I also think there is some merit to the fact that the Wii was the first console who was able to shake the perception that "new generation" equals more processing power, and was able to popularize (for a while at least) the concept that "new generation" could also mean new forms of play, and ultimately new forms of games. It might not be my favorite system in terms of the games, but in terms of what it represented in the industry at the time, there is nothing that will ever come close to Nintendos Revolution imo.
Hell yeah. For me the Wii was a kind of elixir of life, I'm hoping for more new ways to play from NX.

Peltz

Hell yeah. For me the Wii was a kind of elixir of life, I'm hoping for more new ways to play from NX.

I think VR is where the new experiences will be next. To me, VR is like a more fully realized version of what made the Wii so amazing (along with its own host of issues). It's a new way to play which is what we need. Hopefully, they can bring the price down, make the experience more user friendly and make the goggles a bit less bulky over time.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
the 3 rebirth games not getting a physical release was one of last gen's biggest crimes, i thought

Yeah for sure. I do own them all on my Wii U now, as they was transferred with my saves etc, but it kinda sucks that they are stuck in Wii-mode there. Would definitely have bought a disc with these if Konami had bothered to release it.

D.Lo

Yes! The Wii was what truly got me back into console gaming, because it once again made game mechanics, and not presentation, at the front. This also led to the return of 2D-games with stuff like Mega Man 9 and the 30 million+ seller New Super Mario Bros Wii, and for that I will be forever grateful. I also think there is some merit to the fact that the Wii was the first console who was able to shake the perception that "new generation" equals more processing power, and was able to popularize (for a while at least) the concept that "new generation" could also mean new forms of play, and ultimately new forms of games. It might not be my favorite system in terms of the games, but in terms of what it represented in the industry at the time, there is nothing that will ever come close to Nintendos Revolution imo.
DS and Wii were the last 'exciting' systems. Before them I think most everything up to the Gamecube was exciting with new possibilities. Since then everything else has just been a PS2/Xbox 1 with more GHz. I mean they literally have almost the same controllers as 16 years ago, and the top games are the same genres.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
DS and Wii were the last 'exciting' systems. Before them I think most everything up to the Gamecube was exciting with new possibilities. Since then everything else has just been a PS2/Xbox 1 with more GHz. I mean they literally have almost the same controllers as 16 years ago, and the top games are the same genres.

Yeah, I very much agree with this. I actually just got a PS4 this week - and Im honestly super underwhelmed by everything about it. There is just no exciting new stuff about it, the controller is the same as always, the games looks basically the same (seriously), and most of the games are just not for me. Its a super conservative/boring machine, and if it wasnt for the few interesting exclusives like Bloodborne and Street Fighter V, there would be no point at all in it imo. How this is approaching 50 million sold baffles my mind, but I guess its the power of Cod/GTA/Fifa.

I think VR is where the new experiences will be next. To me, VR is like a more fully realized version of what made the Wii so amazing (along with its own host of issues). It's a new way to play which is what we need. Hopefully, they can bring the price down, make the experience more user friendly and make the goggles a bit less bulky over time.

I have not tried VR, but I have a feeling that it will be incredibly tiring. Most of the times I just want to chill when I game, and I am just not sure I will be able to do that with VR. But I need to test it before i know, it definitely does look interesting.

Yeah, I am so hyped for NX and the new Zelda as well. Nintendo still designs games with very "old-school" design sensibilities, which makes me automatically interested in them.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious

Seems to me that Famicom and Master System and onward are in the same lineage of today's systems. They could just be considered 'exciting' because gaming was newer.

Wii was genuinely a break from that entire lineage. And if you want to be excited like that again... the answer is VR.

D.Lo

Seems to me that Famicom and Master System and onward are in the same lineage of today's systems. They could just be considered 'exciting' because gaming was newer.
Elements of the Famicom lineage remain (Master System was just a mee-too Famicom really). But disagree, it's not the same thing.

Mega Drive/SNES/PS1/N64 each had new game styles that were literally not possible before. You could not do Street Fighter II or Yoshi's Island on Famicom, and 3D development is an obvous major change. Controllers evolved to support and develop these new game types. PS2/GCN perfected stable 3D and hardened control styles (dual stick movement+camera and dual stick FPS). But since then the 360 the PSbox continuum has not offered much truly new.

Pretty much every PS4 game could be done on Gamecube or original Xbox with worse graphics and resolution. Even the massive worlds etc could be done with simpler geometry and textures. Yes maybe block head flat shaded characters, but they could be done. All they have to offer is graphics and resolution updates.

I mean it's pretty much proven when big releases on the platforms like GTA are literally last gen ports.

You'll never hear me complaining about the "same" controllers. I like that. Let's keep the inputs familiar and innovate on game mechanics and storytelling. Most music is written with the same twelve notes. It's about what you can do with them!

You'll never hear me complaining about the "same" controllers. I like that. Let's keep the inputs familiar and innovate on game mechanics and storytelling. Most music is written with the same twelve notes. It's about what you can do with them!

Yes! Whenever I play something that's not Sega Genesis, Saturn, or a retro Japanese PC, I play so poorly until I can get reused to the new layout.

catabarez

ah, no thanks....

i rather play with a original light gun on a CRT.
but thanks for the link though =)

It's more of an attachment for the original controller. The video shows only a prototype and he believes now that the information is out there a better looking more compact solution will be made.

Timu

Yep, I like that over a crappy control scheme for a controller. Plus when I switch between my 20+ consoles I want things simple.

Hey DracoBlade, I'm still waiting for my eBay order for the adaptor sixteen-bit recommended to come in before I can test out my guncon

Just a quick question, is that a CRT?

NP and yes its a KV24FV300 Trinitron.

Couldn't really tell how the calibration worked on your video, so I'd have to default to the cobra maybe not working well with HotD.

Other than the GunCons light guns tended to be pretty wonky and some times you just needed a different gun for different games.

I seem to remember the Cobra being okay for Die Hard Trilogy on PSX, but I don't remember if its Saturn compatibility was just a cheap gimmick (considering the state of third party peripherals of that time I'd lean towards cheap gimmick).

Yeah it works perfectly with PS1 light gun games so far, Project Horned owl on startup had 1:1 accuracy almost.

At this point I'm going to order NUBY's virtual light gun which is also a psx/saturn gun and hope for the best ;/

televator

Yep, I like that over a crappy control scheme for a controller. Plus when I switch between my 20+ consoles I want things simple.

I'll tripple down on this sentiment. Wiimote gave me hand cramps and I'd hate to have another one of those or a Dreamcast controller scenario by having Sony or MS deviate too far from the norm just for the sake of it.

The one real thing that could get me excited about games like I used to 2 generations ago, would be for companies to deliver complete and varied game experiences like back then. None of this "Let's hack up every part of this game we can get away with and sell it to the customers peice meal. Oh, BTW, launch week buyers = unpaid beta testers cuz our shit is buggy as fuck but we'll let the paying customer figure that out. lol, no fucks given." If that could just stop, perhaps I'd stop being so damn synical by expecting the worst out of every game that gets announced.

Ashby

The English translation patch for the Saturn version of Policenauts has finally been released. Can't wait to play it on my Saturn!

Shaneus

Sweet, subbing to this one!

Got my HD Retrovision RGB cable for my PAL MD1 Megadrive, have a switch to do some region switching and a sweet Panny plasma for it to connect to.

Fucking love that console.

You have a PC-98? Damn, now that's hardcore.

Actually, I accidentally bought two. I bid on one and saw another one on buyee that was better. I couldn't figure out if I could cancel my bid and ended up with the highest bid on the first one as well.

D.Lo

Yes! Whenever I play something that's not Sega Genesis, Saturn, or a retro Japanese PC, I play so poorly until I can get reused to the new layout.
Fair enough points.

Rant incoming about the whole thing, not directly related to the quotes above ;)

It's not about the controllers of the past, it's about how until that point controllers and game designs evolved and largely improved symbiotically along with graphics. SNES introduces shoulder buttons for strafing. Street Fighter needed more buttons - arcades (and Sega consoles) go 6 button. 3D games needed analogue control for movement in 3D spaces - N64 introduced the modern stick. Non visual/audio feedback as a game feature? Rumble Pak. Racers need analogue accelerator - Dreamcast triggers (technically Saturn 3D pad). But that stopped. Why did it stop? Because no mainstream market leader has had any real imagination or bravery or been forward thinking for 20 years.

We're essentially permanently stuck with a SNES pad with two N64 sticks and Dreamcast triggers grafted on. The PS1 Dual Shock controller we still have (in refined form) is not the best controller possible, it's just the most generic. The diamond layout is still there to support legacy game designs like fighting games, but that's the point - legacy is holding back progress. The PS4 controller is still a bad controller for Street Fighter anyway, I'd prefer it being okay for legacy/specialty games to require a legacy controller, aka a classic controller, allowing new game designs to dictate where controllers head.

The Gamcube face button layout for a small example was bad for legacy games but objectively superior for forward looking games - the ability to have a clear home position and naturally rock from one main button to the three secondary buttons easily is simply superior, 99% of games use one button more than others, so less movement for the same button access is objectively a good thing. But it can't play Street Fighter very well so fuck progress right? Same with the Wii pointer, an incredibly useful tool for new and improved gameplay features (which was enabled by both its own technology and having separate controller pieces for each hand), now gone again.

I understand why it is like this. Sony is not a game company, they are a commodity media conglomerate/appliance maker (and insurance company lol), and they primarily target the same joe six pack over and over who will be afraid of change and will never buy a supplemental controller. So they need the safest, most backward compatible controller possible. Nintendo has also lost it and has reverted to same basic template (notwithstanding the giant screen in the middle of their current main pad).

But this isn't progress. It isn't brave. It isn't innovative. It's safety first, everything else be damned. Just like the generic PC-in-a-black-box systems we now have for consoles.

My ideal solution for progress is to plow on innovating in all spaces, software and hardware with new ideas, and iterations of old ideas can be supported as niches with special hardware - just like we used to have, eg light guns, dance mats, first party arcade sticks. The best possible set up right now still needs different hardware for different purposes - probably an Xbox One controller for FPS, a Wii Remote for pointer, a SNES pad for 2D platform/action, and a Saturn pad or arcade stick for fighters.

Yes I realise my above ideal probably makes no business sense. I mean it did with the Wii/DS but the western industry wanted the bad Chrono Trigger ending ('the Future refused to change') so effectively the most profitable and innovative console/handheld of all time was overruled by everyone else... I'm just explaining why I am unimpressed with games (including they way they are controlled) staying exactly the same with better graphics only. It's turned into a boring commodity.

Sorry this isn't really relevant to this thread!

Well said. I sure on all counts.

In other news, is there anybody in London (E/SE) who could help me test a few PVMs before my cables arrive? If so please quote here and PM me. Cheers!

Khaz

At this point I'm going to order NUBY's virtual light gun which is also a psx/saturn gun and hope for the best ;/

Why not getting an official first party one? I've heard so many horror stories about third party light guns I'm never getting one. Plus the Virtua Gun looks so cool.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I figure I'd ask here. I tried connecting a SNES and N64 to a standard HDTV using composite but I couldn't get a picture. Is this a problem with my TV or are the consoles dead? Unfortunately there's no way to tell if they're "on", or at least as far as I know.

I figure I'd ask here. I tried connecting a SNES and N64 to a standard HDTV using composite but I couldn't get a picture. Is this a problem with my TV or are the consoles dead? Unfortunately there's no way to tell if they're "on", or at least as far as I know.

Could be the composite jack on your TV. If you have a component input, try hooking the composite cable into the green/Y jack -- if you get a black&white picture it was your TV.

Conezays

For those wondering, my PC Engine things (PC Engine, Turbo Everdrive, RGB cable) arrived and I can confirm the RGB EXT cable from fidd_se on ebay and Turbo Everdrive (krikzz) are working without issue.

For those wondering, my PC Engine things (PC Engine, Turbo Everdrive, RGB cable) arrived and I can confirm the RGB EXT cable from fidd_se on ebay and Turbo Everdrive (krikzz) are working without issue.

If there some kind of cable setup I can use with my briefcase or will I eventually have to go in and mod it?

Conezays

If there some kind of cable setup I can use with my briefcase or will I eventually have to go in and mod it?

From the seller's decription of this particular cable: "connect into the EXT socket of your PC-Engine (White), CoreGrafx, CoreGrafx II, TurboGrafx 16 US/EU, SuperGrafx, PC-Engine LT."

Ashby

I've also got a cable on the way from this wonderful seller! They don't have the listing up but if anyone would like one I contacted them directly through Ebay messaging.

ok guys my light gun adaptor just came in today! (it came with a bonus s-video cable but i'm using component to a Sony BVM) i tested it out Time Crisis II and it works perfect!

thanks again sixteen-bit for sharing what i needed to buy to get it working

some bad pics to at least show it in action =)
RJRuNQu.jpg

Q6ff4MW.jpg

ipQQcpp.jpg

ub6Ptop.jpg

3Ltl5RD.jpg

Leonsito

I'm on the hunt for a PVM 14 or 20 inches seems like a good enough size, but I'm a bit lost looking at all the different models, the 14M2E and the 14M4E are the same?

Brhoom

Banned
Anyone knows if the sync drop issues with the framemeister for games like Silent Hill and Resident Evil 2 n64 can be fixed with a firmware update? Or is it a hardware problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom