• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

IrishNinja

Jill REmake isn't too bad but Chris REmake is pretty brutal. I think Code Veronica fits in between the two "difficulties" of REmake.

is chris that much harder than he was in OG RE? i imagine all the backtracking with his limited item space is kinda rough with turbo zombies, yeah

I always start up REmake but never go back to it cause it's so punishing.

you guys should try easy mode first then, way more items than you'll likely need

is chris that much harder than he was in OG RE? i imagine all the backtracking with his limited item space is kinda rough with turbo zombies, yeah
The inventory is the main thing. You can't go very far without needing to go back to an item box, and there isn't always a safe path. The last time I did a Chris run I found it easier to avoid carrying any weapons most of the time unless I knew I was about to fight a boss.

IrishNinja

damn, that's ballsy! i had to have the pea shooter & bullets, plus shotty for larger problems...so yeah, that'd be like half of chris' inventory right there i guess, before healing items & keys and such

televator

damn, that's ballsy! i had to have the pea shooter & bullets, plus shotty for larger problems...so yeah, that'd be like half of chris' inventory right there i guess, before healing items & keys and such

I never found that necessary. As long as you were mindful about keeping at least one pathway clear, you were good to run about with minimal or no arms for certain time windows. The shotty really lets you cheese the game a bit as well.

With Chris, I only carry one firearm and its ammo. I can get through the first half (ish) of the game with just the handgun, but yea I switch to the shotty afterwards.

When I first played with him on PSX it was pretty tough. I wanted a handgun, ammo, shotgun, and at least one herb... That's 4 out of 6 slots, which doesn't leave much room for the actual progression items, small keys, etc. So I learned how to survive with just one weapon, and weave around enemies.

Playing REmake for the first time (I finally have a working copy for GCN) and....

... I keep dying at the first encounter with a zombie. I have no idea how to kill this thing. I clearly don't know how to play.

Any basic tips for someone who's never played survival horror before? To my surprise, I actually have no problems with the tank controls other than the slowness by which the main character moves. Turning corners and everything feels fine and I totally dig the movie-like perspective on the action.

Also, does it matter who I start the game with? I started with Jill.

The difficulty, supporting character(s), and initial paths are different depending on who you choose.

Jill: she has more item slots, has a lock pick, but takes more damage from enemy hits. The two additional item slots (compared to Chris) are crucial and I highly recommended it for first time players. Her supporting character is quite a bit of help early on, too. Jill is who I started with on both the original PSX and on REmake, to get myself (re)acquainted with the game, since her campaign is arguably (much) easier than Chris's.

Chris: has two fewer item slots, starts with a lighter, needs small keys to open things (that Jill gets "for free" with the lock pick), and his supporting character is arguably less helpful than Jill's. But he takes much less damage from enemies, which is very helpful. When I was able to get a good speed run with Chris on hard mode, I was satisfied with my skill level in the game.

Once you get the hang of the game, you will love it. Have fun!

Peltz

Once you get the hang of the game, you will love it. Have fun!

No doubt. I love the old school sensibilities. What difficulty should I play on? I generally do not get frustrated with difficult games but easy games generally fail to hold my attention. There are two difficulty settings to select from.

Is the harder one okay for first time players? I'm the type of guy that selects Heroic in Halo for example and finds "normal" to not be the way that it's meant to be played. I also select "difficult" in Mega Man 2 and have never bothered even trying "normal".

Should I select the more difficult option in REmake as well? Is it balanced or just impossible-hard?

No doubt. I love the old school sensibilities. What difficulty should I play on? I generally do not get frustrated with difficult games but easy games generally fail to hold my attention. There are two difficulty settings to select from.

Is the harder one okay for first time players? I'm the type of guy that selects Heroic in Halo for example and finds "normal" to not be the way that it's meant to be played. I also select "difficult" in Mega Man 2 and have never bothered even trying "normal".

Should I select the more difficult option in REmake as well? Is it balanced or just impossible-hard?

I don't think it's "impossible-hard," but depending on your patience level, you may get frustrated a few times. In the harder difficulty, you will definitely learn how to play the game the way it was meant to be played.

televator

I usually tell people to try Jill on normal first. You really have to think of enemy encounters more dynamically than just straight up combat. That means knowing when to fight and when to run. You aren't really supposed to fight that first zombie and you can ignore him for the entire game.

BTails

One good strategy is to play every section twice. Go through an area, get a feel for what items you need, what you can pick up, who you can fight or avoid, etc... Then reload your game and go back and do it all over again, but this time you'll know exactly what you need to carry, how much space to leave in your inventory, that sort of stuff. Less backtracking usually means less resources you need to use (ammo and health).

Galdelico

Figured to ask here, since the 3DS OT isn't that lively and my fellow retro-gaffers never let me down. :)

Opinions on the retail - European - SEGA 3D Classics compilation? Does it come with interesting bonuses/extras, for someone who already dowloaded a good bunch of those games from the eShop?

And also, stupid question (related to the 3DS, but totally off topic... Apologies!): any way to buy an official/original replacement stylus for the New 3DS XL in Europe? I can only find third party knock-offs, around here. If anyone can clue me on this search, a reply in PM is fine too. Thanks in advance!

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
One good strategy is to play every section twice. Go through an area, get a feel for what items you need, what you can pick up, who you can fight or avoid, etc... Then reload your game and go back and do it all over again, but this time you'll know exactly what you need to carry, how much space to leave in your inventory, that sort of stuff. Less backtracking usually means less resources you need to use (ammo and health).

This was always my strategy when playing RE.

Opinions on the retail - European - SEGA 3D Classics compilation? Does it come with interesting bonuses/extras, for someone who already dowloaded a good bunch of those games from the eShop?
i brought the US version it looks the same lineup) but never got any eshop games.
the only thing i didn't like was altered beast being the genesis version.
the the bonus games for the US were fantasy zone II master system and maze hunter/walker.

Hey retroGAF,
it's been a while as i was immersed in Yakuza 0 but i finally grabbed some retro games and stuff today:

i finally got a NES and some games:
R0iPRX6h.jpg

hORvtvYh.jpg

t0q1eywh.jpg

koopas

Hey retroGAF,
it's been a while as i was immersed in Yakuza 0 but i finally grabbed some retro games and stuff today:

i finally got a NES and some games:
You really need to mod this if you intend to play it (RF only stinks).

It's the reason that's holding me back from buying one myself ...

Nice haul! I have a lot of fondness for Zanac. It was my first NES game.
yeah i'm looking for a CIB bc it's one of my favorites.
what's your favorite weapon? i like "1" full powered up. i actually corrected the wiki for this game as it didn't mention full "1" can penetrate mini bosses like full powered "5" can. making short work of those pesky mini bosses. i love getting the "extreme" rapid fire. (i think you need a lot of yellow power ups to get it.)

Best version of RE3 right there. Hopefully Capcom gets around to REmake 3.
i heard =) i have the psx version but picked this up as well.

You really need to mod this if you intend to play it (RF only stinks).

It's the reason that's holding me back from buying one myself ...
yeah, i asked about it on the NES forum as i would like to RGB it and morfeo recommended someone.
i wonder how much it will be?

If I can make a suggestion, I would go HiDefNES kit over RGB. It's only a little bit more too. I think the RGB kit for the NES is around 100 (when you factor in board cable and all) and like 80 - 100 for installation depending on who you get to do it. The HiDefNES kit is like 110 - 120 and the same price for installation.

Galdelico

i brought the US version it looks the same lineup) but never got any eshop games.
the only thing i didn't like was altered beast being the genesis version.
the the bonus games for the US were fantasy zone II master system and maze hunter/walker.

Thanks Dave, and nice haul as always. You should take a look at ZanacXZanac on the PlayStation, if you don't already own it.

Peltz

Figured to ask here, since the 3DS OT isn't that lively and my fellow retro-gaffers never let me down. :)

And also, stupid question (related to the 3DS, but totally off topic... Apologies!): any way to buy an official/original replacement stylus for the New 3DS XL in Europe? I can only find third party knock-offs, around here. If anyone can clue me on this search, a reply in PM is fine too. Thanks in advance!

Not familiar with EU, however, in North America, you can buy replacements straight from Nintendo's official website under "parts and repair."

Morfeo

Yeah, awesome haul as always David. Love Zanac, sucks we already did it earlier. Maybe you and me should pick it as a bonus game one month as i wasnt able to put that much time into it last time.

Galdelico

Not familiar with EU, however, in North America, you can buy replacements straight from Nintendo's official website under "parts and repair."
Yeah, exactly, but we haven't anything like that, in Italy (and even in the UK store, the stylus isn't available at all). I guess it's not possible to buy from the US website from Europe, isn't it?

More of an oblivion fan, myself. tbh remasters for oblivion/morrowind with an updated engine would be amazing, particularly on the PC where they're severely limited by memory and instability.

Peltz

I decided to RGB mod my Famicom AV over my toaster-style NES.

I just couldn't bear the thought of modifying my NES. I will likely still play games in the original composite when I'm feeling nostalgic and want to preserve my first video game system ever in its original form.

Plus Famicom AV is more multi-functional anyway. I have all the parts purchased and am about to send it off to get modded.

I just couldn't bear the thought of modifying my NES. I will likely still play games in the original composite when I'm feeling nostalgic and want to preserve my first video game system ever in its original form.

Plus Famicom AV is more multi-functional anyway. I have all the parts purchased and am about to send it off to get modded.

where do you buy parts?

D.Lo

I've done that too. NES composite to a good CRT is still a very nice picture anyway IMO, so I have that set up on the CRT and AVF on the LCD via Framemesiter.

Morfeo

I wish we were getting a port of Morrowind on the Switch instead of Skyrim.

:-(

Sorry, I know that was random.

Definitely agree with this, Morrowind is such a masterpiece, and while the sequels are also pretty good, they just cant compare to Morrowind imo.

Peltz

where do you buy parts?

http://etim.net.au/shop/shop.php?crn=203

I've done that too. NES composite to a good CRT is still a very nice picture anyway IMO, so I have that set up on the CRT and AVF on the LCD via Framemesiter.

I'll likely use both my NES and RGB modded Famicom AV on the same CRT. I'll just choose whichever I want depending on my mood. Sometimes I really hate seeing dot crawl. But I'm sure other times, I'll want to see those authentic NTSC colors/rainbow patters in dithered graphics.... (especially on the soles of shoes in Punchout).

Plus, no matter what, the RGB colors will never replace the real thing in my eyes.... I don't feel that way about any other console by the way. NES composite graphics are just special. Not only was the system not built for RGB, it was also my first ever video game experience. So I want to preserve that.

Could someone point me in the right direction for an up-to-date guide on playing my ripped gamecube and wii games on my softmodded wii? Wii homebrew is so weird. Currently trying to compress games to save space on my SD card and not really sure what I'm doing lol. On the upside, once i finish this I can put all my disc games in to storage more permanently.

D.Lo

Could someone point me in the right direction for an up-to-date guide on playing my ripped gamecube and wii games on my softmodded wii? Wii homebrew is so weird. Currently trying to compress games to save space on my SD card and not really sure what I'm doing lol. On the upside, once i finish this I can put all my disc games in to storage more permanently.
No idea of guides, they're probably out of date. You'll still need Lego Batman or something.

You need a USB loader and that's it really once you're hacked. They can rip them right from the UI.

i'm so caveman right now.

hooked up nes toploader to a 60 "pioneer kuro 151FD plasma through composite and playing from my couch wires all over my coffee table lol
pVuTxNym.jpg
itlEN53m.jpg
Co85EBxm.jpg

Peltz

Curious as to why you went with a North American toploader? To me, they are the weakest link in the NES/Famicom line unless you plan on modding anyway.

P.S. Anyone have any trouble with these adapters? I want to use this to play NES games on my Famicom AV after it gets modded. It looks pretty standard but I just wanted to run it by you guys first. It looks like I won't need to put games in backwards with this which is nice.

P.S. Anyone have any trouble with these adapters? I want to use this to play NES games on my Famicom AV after it gets modded. It looks pretty standard but I just wanted to run it by you guys first. It looks like I won't need to put games in backwards with this which is nice.

Would be curious as well. I still haven't pulled the trigger on an RGB mod, partly because of the cost but also partly because I can't decide if I want to mod the FC or NES.

Top Bottom