• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

IrishNinja

oh! genesis had Caliber 50? that was a cool game in the arcade =)

see i never played the coin-op, but really dig the game - so i guess it's a good port? can't really say, but the default control scheme is not so great, fortunately you can switch it up & make it work...kinda reminds me of a top-down version of Midnight Resistance's controls that way! man, i love good run & guns.

makes me ask so many questions. Why are there only four type of enemies, why is the moveset so limited and the fighting so stiff when the developer's spiderman games were pretty fucking decent, why does it last three fucking hours, why is the ending

...oh wow, didn't know about those last 2, haha

How do you guys decide to tackle stuff you want to collect? Most expensive first? Least expensive first so for the same amount you can cross off 5 or 6 games compared to a rare game? I always went for cheap but the way some appreciate maybe that's the stupid idea.

I decide based on what I want to play. Though I usually have a list of a bunch of titles for different platforms, and its about what I can find at conventions and such.

I made a list of every Genesis game I wanted. Funds and availability always play a role in what I grab. I don't collect loose carts, so that makes it much more pricey. I don't need CIB, but I want the box. If I see a somewhat pricey game at a great price, I'll somehow make it happen.
I have 187 Genesis games right now and these are the remaining games I want...

Some are expensive, some are not. Some of these games I have on the Genesis Collection like Ristar, so I might pass on that one. I could probably thin this list a little, but I'd like to finish off some collections in the collection. Like, Echo Jr and Return of the Joker. Whatever you do, do it soon lol
i saw dynamite duke at my local store for about 15-18 bucks CIB, let me know if you want it.

see i never played the coin-op, but really dig the game - so i guess it's a good port? can't really say, but the default control scheme is not so great, fortunately you can switch it up & make it work...kinda reminds me of a top-down version of Midnight Resistance's controls that way! man, i love good run & guns.
thanks for the heads up on it, i think CAL 50 and rolling thunder 2 are the next titles i want to grab for the genesis.

I decide based on what I want to play. Though I usually have a list of a bunch of titles for different platforms, and its about what I can find at conventions and such.
+1
also new titles i missed or never heard, i go off recommendations on retroGAF. i like to try new things =)

IrishNinja

yeah, i tend to stockpile things that i find on the cheap & wait till i'm in the mood for their respective genre - backloggery helps with that

I made a list of every Genesis game I wanted. Funds and availability always play a role in what I grab. I don't collect loose carts, so that makes it much more pricey. I don't need CIB, but I want the box. If I see a somewhat pricey game at a great price, I'll somehow make it happen.
I have 187 Genesis games right now and these are the remaining games I want:
Dynamite Duke

hey Jake, i found a CIB copy for 15 bucks at my local store just now but the instructions are all beat up. i'll post pics i took once i get home and upload em.

EDIT:
Zfp4NAwh.jpg

PFr30Lvh.jpg

elgYa56h.jpg

UpaFf6xh.jpg

pic of cart was blurred. it was slight worn. ok label. i think you can find this in better condition online though.

Since folks were talking about BotW earlier, Nier Automata is such a nice blend of old and new design philosophies. The shmup segments feel fun, if a tad repetitive, and the perspective changing elements (from full 3D to side scrolling to top down) is really dynamic and reminds me of the weird genre-mash games in 5th and 6th gen.

Since folks were talking about BotW earlier, Nier Automata is such a nice blend of old and new design philosophies. The shmup segments feel fun, if a tad repetitive, and the perspective changing elements (from full 3D to side scrolling to top down) is really dynamic and reminds me of the weird genre-mash games in 5th and 6th gen.

I'm digging it pretty hard, too, it's been pretty much the only thing I want to play.

Galdelico

hey Jake, i found a CIB copy for 15 bucks at my local store just now but the instructions are all beat up. i'll post pics i took once i get home and upload em.

Oh man... As a fresh new Genesis collector - until now, I've been after Japanese MD games only - I feel quite jealous. It would be awesome to have stores like yours, here in Italy, since importing from the US isn't as easy and a no brainer as it used to be (mainly due to the recent changes in shipping policies on eBay). It took me ages to finally find a complete copy of Eternal Champions, in the conditions I wanted. And here it is in your photo. :D
Also, I can't unsee that original Madden on the top left - I'm trying to track down the very first Madden, NHL Hockey and FIFA Soccer entries - which already seems to look better than anything available on eBay at the moment, at least judging by the box alone.

Jaeger

Anyone here in RetroGAF collect specific genres or series? I remember a Paradious collector, for instance. I don't recall if it was here but I remember a guy who collected copies of Shaq-fu which is awesome and hilarious.

I'm looking for inspiration. I was initially trying to collect Street Fighter II games specifically but that became daunting knowing a few specific versions were going to be next to impossible to obtain. :/

Considering a few less stressful series now

Anyone here in RetroGAF collect specific genres or series? I remember a Paradious collector, for instance. I don't recall if it was here but I remember a guy who collected copies of Shaq-fu which is awesome and hilarious.

I'm looking for inspiration. I was initially trying to collect Street Fighter II games specifically but that became daunting knowing a few specific versions were going to be next to impossible to obtain. :/

I think I have all the Culdcept games (except Revolt, which I plan to get when it comes to the west in June) and the Klonoa games. These would be the only series I have intentionally collected for. I would recommend something that is important to you while also not being super extensive and cost prohibitive to collect for.

I own every single game in the Metal Gear series. Didn't go crazy in it though, e.g. I don't own the PC release of MGS, and don't own any of the releases on Microsoft consoles
(or Snake's Revenge)
. But I have at least one copy of every entry in the series.

I also collected all shoot 'em ups released on the PS2 in Europe. There's more of them than people would think (around 25). Some really obscure stuff too, but fortunately nothing insanely pricey yet. So that was quite fun.

Also own all of the Inazuma Eleven games released in Europe. Not sure why though, lol.

And I've been collecting all Konami releases on some select older platforms, like the Mega Drive and the PC Engine.

Jaeger

I think I have all the Culdcept games (except Revolt, which I plan to get when it comes to the west in June) and the Klonoa games. These would be the only series I have intentionally collected for. I would recommend something that is important to you while also not being super extensive and cost prohibitive to collect for.

I like that. I think I have a few ideas in mind. And if stay strictly to the core titles it won't he that bad.

Yes Boss!

Only genre I collect is shmups. There are so many that there are always things to get. But since most releases mostly now are PC I stopped and just pick up a retro release here and there. No real interest in anything PC. Other then that I like going for the Tecnosoft games with the next one I wanna get being Elemental Master. Kirbys are kinda fun too since I completely missed the boat on the series during the 8-16 bit years. Street Fighter would be a super interesting to to go for. Or Taito...I find it fun to collect for company.

I try to collect Dragon Quest games. There's kind of just way too many.

My goal is to have the Japanese and English (when available) versions of every main release on every platform available aside from 8-bit computers and phones. I'm pretty close at this point; I still need to get NES versions of the first 4, the English version of 8 on 3DS, and the GBC/DS remakes in Japanese.

The side stuff is trickier. I want to get all platform releases of JP and English Monsters, Mystery Dungeon, and Slime games but outside of that I'm not super interested.

I have Heroes 1 (PS3) and Builders (Vita) in Japanese but I don't want to get alt-platform versions of those and don't really care to play either in English.

I've also totally skipped Dragon Quest X because I really don't like MMOs.

Galdelico

It's nothing exceptional, but I've grown up a weird interest in Ultraman's 1v1 fighting games. Not even close to be a large/valuable collection - plus I only look for the titles available for the systems I own - but hey, that's it. :) I'm after MD Ultraman, at the moment.

Also - even thought I own hundreds of NTSC-J/U imports - my PAL PS2 collection is almost entirely made of bizarre titles that got unexpected/overlooked ports (stuff like Japanese shmups, survival horror or those oddball Simple Series ones, like Pink Pong or Paparazzi...).
As absurd as it may sound, they usually got a better treatment - say, 60hz support, color manuals... - than stuff like Final Fantasy or GT. :D

I brainlessly collect the following:

Things related to the Shining series up until the release of the SF3 Premium Disc
Things related to Phantasy Star except PSO2
Anything Shenmue
Japanese computer stuff -- this is extremely slow goings as everything is hard to find and expensive

It's nothing exceptional, but I've grown up a weird interest in Ultraman's 1v1 fighting games. Not even close to be a large/valuable collection - plus I only look for the titles available for the systems I own - but hey, that's it. :) I'm after MD Ultraman, at the moment.

Also - even thought I own hundreds of NTSC-J/U imports - my PAL PS2 collection is almost entirely made of bizarre titles that got unexpected/overlooked ports (stuff like Japanese shmups, survival horror or those oddball Simple Series ones, like Pink Pong or Paparazzi...).
As absurd as it may sound, they usually got a better treatment - say, 60hz support, color manuals... - than stuff like Final Fantasy or GT. :D

I've only played the Super Famicom game and it is so bad.

KC-Slater

I collect near-complete Japanese MD and Saturn-stuff (I am not picky about reg and spine cards, however), NA Dreamcast, and Naomi carts. I have hundreds of loose Game Boy carts, but I don't actively collect them anymore.

I have a special affinity towards the Naomi stuff especially. I feel like it's under-valued, and it's neat to have arcade hardware at home. I feel like I can justify spending more on non-optical media as well. Cartridges are a neat relic of the past.

Peltz

I just bought Mega Man Battle Network on GBA, complete in box.

I have always wanted to try this series. Mega Man is one of my absolute favorite series and I almost chose him as my NeoGAF avatar over my Metal Slug avatar (it was close).

I'm really excited to experience this game. To be honest, I really haven't experienced most of the expanded Mega Man multi-verse much. I only have played the OG series, plus the first MMX. (Crazy I know).

I'm looking to change that starting with this game. The art style in these games is the best.

IrishNinja

it's for the Genesis! i went in on an investor copy ages ago, no idea what it'll sell for with the regular edition but i'd imagine close to what Pier Solar reprints went for?

Glowsquid

Mark Turmell (designer of NBA Jam, NFL Blitz and... a lot of other stuff, he has a Long history in the game business) did an AMA on Reddit today. Fun stuff, plus it has amusing anecdotes about working with celebrities at Midway and info about the version of NBA Jam that has Michael Jordan.

Rydeen

Been in Japan since March 8th, and I'm leaving on the 28th. Last time I was here I focused on getting PC Engine stuff, this time, the focus is on MSX. This is just the MSX stuff I've purchased, I have more random figures, soundtracks and a decent amount of Saturn stuff, but I'm not in the best place to pull everything out and photograph is until I get home (staying in a hostel)

fotor_149042265993079eys05.jpg

Been in Japan since March 8th, and I'm leaving on the 28th. Last time I was here I focused on getting PC Engine stuff, this time, the focus is on MSX. This is just the MSX stuff I've purchased, I have more random figures, soundtracks and a decent amount of Saturn stuff, but I'm not in the best place to pull everything out and photograph is until I get home (staying in a hostel)

That's really cool. Where'd you buy them from?

Rydeen

That's really cool. Where'd you buy them from?
Mostly BEEP and Friends. I scoped Super Potato, but of course the majority of their prices were ridiculous for boxed games. They wanted 13000 yen for Gradius 2, and I got it at Friends for 8000. Not cheap, but not absurd, either. It's borderline impossible to find this stuff in the non-specialty shops now like the Hard Off chain.

this
like i know in my heart that rastan saga was a disappointment, but i couldn't say no to that packaging either
It helps that it was way cheaper than on eBay complete

And between that and MSX Castlevania, I'd rather take a mediocre Rastan port than a not-Castlevania.

D.Lo

I have that model. Good machine, almost console sized, with quality RGB output. Get a good gamepad and an RGB cable!

Vespa

repost from the genesis thread:

ya'll remember Project Y? it's called Paprium now and is said to finally drop September 16th! 80 Megs of POWAR

fingers crossed, lord knows it's been forever now

That looks really good! Checked out a work in progress video and looks and sounds incredible.

Jaeger

ya'll remember Project Y? it's called Paprium now and is said to finally drop September 16th! 80 Megs of POWAR

I've been hoping we would get an update to this project for awhile. Good to see still alive! And we have a release date!

I really wanna go to Japan. Just so I can buy some games.

Mostly BEEP and Friends. I scoped Super Potato, but of course the majority of their prices were ridiculous for boxed games. They wanted 13000 yen for Gradius 2, and I got it at Friends for 8000. Not cheap, but not absurd, either. It's borderline impossible to find this stuff in the non-specialty shops now like the Hard Off chain.

It helps that it was way cheaper than on eBay complete

And between that and MSX Castlevania, I'd rather take a mediocre Rastan port than a not-Castlevania.

I thought you might have gotten some of those from BEEP. I keep hearing good things about it. Don't buy anymore and save some for me! I'm going to be there in a week!

Bamboo

A good friends brought me amazing gifts from Japan.

Rhythm Tengoku is the best game ever. Dotsream has killer presentation (esp the ost) and fun gameplay. Boundish is very slick and fun, but seems it's you get most out of it in MP. I have yet to play Soundvoyager (ironically this is the one i wanted most). I'm surprised by how pretty and small the bit generation packages are. I never realized that the logos are glossy, nor the silver carton insde of the box. And I didn't know that the cartridges were black.
EU never saw Drill Dozer (a crime). Is it easily playble without understanding the language?

Yes Boss!

Tengoku and dotstream are indeed the two best games on that system. Like, legit my two favorite games on the system.

Great score.

I found my Drill Dozer here but have always hated that one. Willing to give it another go after more then a decade since it is so well loved.

My dostream I was playing with a week or two ago. Love! The Wiiware game was such a letdown.

1BA64797-E2AF-40ED-871A-428EE35049FF.jpg

Oh man... As a fresh new Genesis collector - until now, I've been after Japanese MD games only - I feel quite jealous. It would be awesome to have stores like yours, here in Italy, since importing from the US isn't as easy and a no brainer as it used to be (mainly due to the recent changes in shipping policies on eBay). It took me ages to finally find a complete copy of Eternal Champions, in the conditions I wanted. And here it is in your photo. :D
Also, I can't unsee that original Madden on the top left - I'm trying to track down the very first Madden, NHL Hockey and FIFA Soccer entries - which already seems to look better than anything available on eBay at the moment, at least judging by the box alone.
eternal champions i think was 8 bucks there. had a manual but label a bit scraped.

Hey guys, my small pickup this week. i have a lot of pre-orders for my other hobbies sp

didn't get to do much this week in terms of retro games,

looking out for a copy of PAL and JYP Rhythm Heaven Fever Wii since Yes Boss! mailed me a NA version, i'll post it when it comes =)

Yes Boss!

looking out for a copy of PAL and JYP Rhythm Heaven Fever Wii since Yes Boss! mailed me a NA version, i'll post it when it comes =)

The PAL one is a bit harder to find...sadly. J-land is easy enough to find.

I was inspired this week and played the shit outta Rhythm Heaven Fever but got blocked on the Shrimp Shuffle game...that does not work with my brain and it is so freaking difficult. Argh.

Peltz

So rad.

Well that was unexpected. I now own a Switch lol. Don want to restart my progress in Zelda so it'll be Neo Turf Masters for me and I'll check if there are any Splatoon test fires left, haha.

eXistor

Sweet, I've been watching that project for what seems like years now. Definitely gonna pre-order that. Btw, if you use coupon code 9379000 you get 10% off either the Classic or Limited edition.

Top Bottom