• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

Fularu

Banned
Yes to both. Cost and difficulty to pick them up aside, there really isn't a downside to either device.

Cost? They're both cheaper than an SD2SNES cart. Significantly so btw.

He seems ot be working on a similar device for the PCE CD, this would be a godsend because my original suitcase CD drive died and the new one I purchased is filthy. (his work seems to be revolving around the original suitcase version anyway so I'm golden for now once he completes the project).

PCE CD is probably the last system this kind of work is needed, we can already do the same with XBOX, PS2 and GC games from that timeframe and I doubt there's much demand for a 3DO version... (maybe a SCD one but I'm not touching my Xeye, I would have to go the SegaCD 2 route since I have one laying around somewhere)

Fularu

Banned
Pretty sure there's already a 3DO disc drive emulator already. It's the first one I remember hearing about.

I see an IDE adapter but can't find a place to purchase it and tbh IDE drives are a dying breed (which is why I was happy to see SDCard interfaces for both the PS2 and the original Xbox)

Heck I replaced my Amiga 1200 IDE drive with a dual compact flash reader and now have more space than I'll ever need on it for a much cheaper price :p

Edit :

Here's Gekkirindan (saturn version) on my 60" Samsung Plasma TV through the OSSC with Line4 enabled and ma scanlines

I'm tinkering for now but I'm quite happy with the results so far :

iicyPUM.jpg

Don't mind the reflection, it's due to the Plasma's glass, I'll try and take more pictures tonight, once the GF sleeps

Fularu

Banned
Really? Starting at 115 & 130 EUR respectively (before shipping), isn't exactly chump-change...

That's below the price of an SD2SNES before shipping (about 150 euros before promotions).

I mean for what they do, they'Re not THAT expensive tbh.

More OSSC goodness, Xmen Vs SF on my Saturn

It looks gorgeous

Hard to take good pictures of this game since the Pause menu darkens the screen :/

I see an IDE adapter but can't find a place to purchase it and tbh IDE drives are a dying breed (which is why I was happy to see SDCard interfaces for both the PS2 and the original Xbox)

Heck I replaced my Amiga 1200 IDE drive with a dual compact flash reader and now have more space than I'll ever need on it for a much cheaper price :p

Edit :

Here's Gekkirindan (saturn version) on my 60" Samsung Plasma TV through the OSSC with Line4 enabled and ma scanlines

I'm tinkering for now but I'm quite happy with the results so far :

Don't mind the reflection, it's due to the Plasma's glass, I'll try and take more pictures tonight, once the GF sleeps
That must be what I was thinking about then.

KC-Slater

That's below the price of an SD2SNES before shipping (about 150 euros before promotions).

Not trying to kick a dead horse here, but I'm seeing SD2SNES carts for around $190 USD + shipping (based on 30 seconds worth of shallow Googling) which prices them pretty comparably from where I'm sitting in Canada. Hardly a "significant" savings on 130 EUR + 40 EUR shipping, and the potential of paying duty upon arrival. Granted, where the customer is ordering from, and their local currency will play a factor.

I own both devices and I stand by their performance and value, but they are tricky to acquire, and not cheap. Worth investing in though.

I'm from Canada as well and the SD2SNES is on my bucket list of things to get. The sheer compatibility and features it has makes it an essential purchase for me. I hope over time more support for audio tracks gets added to other titles as well through the community

More OSSC goodness, Xmen Vs SF on my Saturn

It looks gorgeous

Hard to take good pictures of this game since the Pause menu darkens the screen :/

That's a nice clean shot. I'm always marvel'd by XvSF's over the top visuals.

Fularu

Banned
I'm from Canada as well and the SD2SNES is on my bucket list of things to get. The sheer compatibility and features it has makes it an essential purchase for me. I hope over time more support for audio tracks gets added to other titles as well through the community

That's a nice clean shot. I'm always marvel'd by XvSF's over the top visuals.

Get it next Black Friday. Krizz should have a new sale and you should be able to get it 25% off (this is what I'm waiting for since I'm limiting my budget on a monthly basis).

Will probably get phoebe this june and gdemu this july/august (if I believe the blog) then it will be the SD2SNES.

Get it next Black Friday. Krizz should have a new sale and you should be able to get it 25% off (this is what I'm waiting for since I'm limiting my budget on a monthly basis).

Will probably get phoebe this june and gdemu this july/august (if I believe the blog) then it will be the SD2SNES.

Thanks for the heads up on the black friday deal. I'll wait out for that.

Phoebe is on my list as well because of the insane load time benefits and lack of drive noise

Krelian

Pretty sure there's already a 3DO disc drive emulator already. It's the first one I remember hearing about.

There's also this USB drive replacement. I've never ordered from there though, can't say anything about the stuff there.

As for GDEmu, I've tried to buy one a couple of times but I'm always too late :( Last time GDEmu was on sale it was sold out in less than an hour.

Fularu

Banned
There's also this USB drive replacement. I've never ordered from there though, can't say anything about the stuff there.

As for GDEmu, I've tried to buy one a couple of times but I'm always too late :( Last time GDEmu was on sale it was sold out in less than an hour.

Mhh he seems to be selling a DC USB solution that sounds better than GDEmu and is available now

190$ though (including shipping).

Though call

NDPsycho

That looks like what I have, but I got it through Stone Age Gamer. I don't think they carried it past a first batch.

Rydeen

Finally had some time to take photos of my haul from Japan last month, also recorded a video breaking down my pick-ups. I really recommend getting over to Japan and buying stuff locally if you can, it's not as expensive as you might think (I paid $670 for the round trip), and it's easy to eat on the cheap and find a cheap place to stay for a few weeks if you shop around and budget yourself accordingly.

https://youtu.be/0tWG2Q42u4g

(Sorry for the low audio on the video, I tried to turn it up as much as I could while editing and it didn't do much, I'll definitely use a mic attachment next time.)

Finally had some time to take photos of my haul from Japan last month, also recorded a video breaking down my pick-ups. I really recommend getting over to Japan and buying stuff locally if you can, it's not as expensive as you might think (I paid $670 for the round trip), and it's easy to eat on the cheap and find a cheap place to stay for a few weeks if you shop around and budget yourself accordingly.

https://youtu.be/0tWG2Q42u4g

(Sorry for the low audio on the video, I tried to turn it up as much as I could while editing and it didn't do much, I'll definitely use a mic attachment next time.)

These pics made me have a jack attack.

Cost? They're both cheaper than an SD2SNES cart. Significantly so btw.

He seems ot be working on a similar device for the PCE CD, this would be a godsend because my original suitcase CD drive died and the new one I purchased is filthy. (his work seems to be revolving around the original suitcase version anyway so I'm golden for now once he completes the project).

PCE CD is probably the last system this kind of work is needed, we can already do the same with XBOX, PS2 and GC games from that timeframe and I doubt there's much demand for a 3DO version... (maybe a SCD one but I'm not touching my Xeye, I would have to go the SegaCD 2 route since I have one laying around somewhere)

The only problem with the PCE CD he's doing is it's only for briefcase setups and not duos. I really hope a Duo solution happens.

Finally had some time to take photos of my haul from Japan last month
EDIT: forgot to comment: awesome haul Rydeem =)

hey retroGAF guys and girls,
just got back from grabbing dinner and got a few games but will post them later this week as i didn't post last week's haul:
animal crossing was 8 bucks sealed and megaman amiibo was on clearance from gamestop, so i grabbed them on top of some 10 ps2 dollar games.
xBMYMMwh.jpg

Fularu

Banned
The only problem with the PCE CD he's doing is it's only for briefcase setups and not duos. I really hope a Duo solution happens.

Yeah I noticed. Thankfully it's the one I have (and the most common one in Europe anyway, so I'm not surprised that's the one he has... Sodipeng barely distributed the Duo and never released the Duo-R and Duo-RX in Europe)

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Phew. Shelves assembled. That took longer than I'd thought it would. Now to put all my games on it and gloat about how awesome I am (pretty awesome.)

just got back from grabbing dinner and got a few games but will post them later this week as i didn't post last week's haul:
animal crossing was 8 bucks sealed and megaman amiibo was on clearance from gamestop, so i grabbed them on top of some 10 ps2 dollar games.
xBMYMMwh.jpg

Great catch. That Katamari Damacy brings back memories. When it first came out I found out about it on a Penny arcade post and I drove to a Gamestop 2.5 hours away just to get a copy. My roommates and I just played it for 2 days straight.

2004 I believe.

xBMYMMwh.jpg

cool pickups.

Katamary Damacy is so fun and the soundtrack is unforgettable.

I really appreciate how concise Katamari is too. Just when the concept starts to get kinda stale, it's over!

I did a run of We Love Katamari and Me and My Katamari recently as well and both, while good, just run too long.

The first two Katamari games are literal gaming perfection and permanent members of my top 10 games list. May even be the only two games on it from the same franchise, but can't really argue with perfection.

Peltz

xBMYMMwh.jpg

Katamari Damacy is fucking awesome. I've always wanted to play Nights on Wii but was scared away from it by the poor reviews.

Phew. Shelves assembled. That took longer than I'd thought it would. Now to put all my games on it and gloat about how awesome I am (pretty awesome.)

Take pics for us pls :)

Jaeger

Outside of Unholy Night and Paprium are there any other upcoming games for the 16-but systems? For that matter, DC/Neo Geo too?

No idea. I just do the VC in 240 and the other games in 480.

Maybe the home brew has an option. I'd be curious to see what the M2 Konami Wiiware games look like in 240p.

To the best of my knowledge no one has figured out how to force 240p Wii/gc games on a Wii. You can however force 240p on a gamecube which is my favorite way to play re2/3!

Jaeger

I keep learning about random obscure games I wanna buy. Like those two Battle Mania games on the Mega Drive. They are too expensive for me though.

xBMYMMwh.jpg

Looks like you got lucky and have a MM Legacy Collection box that wasn't dented like mine was... Damn Playasia and their crappy packaging (or damn me for being cheap, either one).

Speaking of being cheap, I grabbed Wild Guns while it was on sale on the PS4 digital store and can't put it down. I've managed 1CC's on easy and normal routes and am now trying to tackle the hard route (the boss of the sky fortress stage is messing me up currently...)
Is it worth going for the Snes version as well? As from what I understand the PS4 remaster is basically the Snes game with new content and since the Snes game is fairly pricey these days I don't really want to track it down if there isn't a decent change in gameplay/content to warrant the high price (also, I have far too many Capcom games still to track down!)

Looks like you got lucky and have a MM Legacy Collection box that wasn't dented like mine was... Damn Playasia and their crappy packaging (or damn me for being cheap, either one).

Speaking of being cheap, I grabbed Wild Guns while it was on sale on the PS4 digital store and can't put it down. I've managed 1CC's on easy and normal routes and am now trying to tackle the hard route (the boss of the sky fortress stage is messing me up currently...)
Is it worth going for the Snes version as well? As from what I understand the PS4 remaster is basically the Snes game with new content and since the Snes game is fairly pricey these days I don't really want to track it down if there isn't a decent change in gameplay/content to warrant the high price (also, I have far too many Capcom games still to track down!)

No, it isn't. Buy a repro.

Fularu

Banned
Those Jaleco carts are insane. Holy shit!

Edit:

Oh wait, they're not being released by Jaleco but are coming from Retro-Bit. That definitely changes my enthusiasm level from "holy shit" to "soft-woo" (-_-).

If they work on real hardware (NES, GB and SNES) then I'm in for all 3

Top Bottom