• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

TeaJay

A box full of good quality PAL SCN CIB games for the NES for 5 € piece, 14 or 15 games. Someone answered my buying ad at the local supermarket. I kept them for a while and sold after I started to collect USA/Japanese games.

Fularu

Banned
Those Snes and genesis sticks are all and good but I just don't care for them unless is for collecting wise.

It's when the PlayStation era and Xbox one when I saw the value them with games being arcade to near arcade perfect

Capcom's SF2 stick for the SFC was great (at the time) and with a rather unique shape

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
speaking of SF, i can't play with square gates. all the arcades had 8 way bat sticks.

square gates are the way to go

square_gate2.png

octagon_gate.png

square gates are the way to go

Same for me. It was definitely an adjustment, but I cannot go back. Once it unlocks in your brain it makes so much damn sense.

No hate, everyone can play the way they like, I just know the hump is hard to overcome.

Tain

yeah I think square is one of those things that sounds like nonsense but then you do a couple shoryukens and you're like "oh okay that makes sense"

one of the SFII championship bat sticks get destroyed at my local arcade and the vendors replaced it with a Data East stick.
vQZRqPE.png

mW1DN4h.png

AmBmxf1.jpg

they move about a centimeter each direction:
everyone hated it until they mastered it and it was an amazing stick, very minimal movement.

I prefer circular gates for fighting games. I like Korean sticks and even iL compared to any octagonal or square Sanwa.

If we're talking pretty much any other arcade game, I like anything octagonal with a short throw. The short Seimetsu is usually good.

I'm only posting this because I can't stand when people state that one stick is inarguably worse or better than the other. Which I feel is about to happen here soon....
Anyway, carry on.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I am not a Sanwa fan. At all. I dunno, just doesn't make me feel in control. Seimitsu LS-56 all the way.

I use a square gate, just because it's kinda the standard.

I am not a Sanwa fan. At all. I dunno, just doesn't make me feel in control. Seimitsu LS-56 all the way.

I use a square gate, just because it's kinda the standard.

Yeah I'm trying to beat Gradius 2 and I don't really get close if I'm not using a 56. I'm not very good at shmups though. I get too mesmerized by the music usually.

I have another stick with an LS-32, I like that one. I have a Hayabusa, too. They are all great, I just happen to use the stick with the JLF the most.

I honestly can't tell if one affords me more control than another. I guess the LS has a shorter throw, but I'd never consider that to be a deal breaker for any game, and I play shooters and fighters with them.

Then again, I'm not super sensitive to anything gamers often complain about, frame rate, lag, arcade sticks, whatever. It's cool that arcade sticks are customisable though, so messing with them is fun.

Danny Dudekisser

I have another stick with an LS-32, I like that one. I have a Hayabusa, too. They are all great, I just happen to use the stick with the JLF the most.

I honestly can't tell if one affords me more control than another. I guess the LS has a shorter throw, but I'd never consider that to be a deal breaker for any game, and I play shooters and fighters with them.

Then again, I'm not super sensitive to anything gamers often complain about, frame rate, lag, arcade sticks, whatever. It's cool that arcade sticks are customisable though, so messing with them is fun.

For me, the tactile response is everything. That dictates what arcade sticks and buttons I use, what keyboards I use... everything.

It's important.

For me, the tactile response is everything. That dictates what arcade sticks and buttons I use, what keyboards I use... everything.

It's important.

I prefer sanwa buttons to anything else, but I tried the silent ones a while back on my blast city. They had little felt or rubber pads stuffed in them.

They were so unsatisfying it actually made playing the games less fun. I need the clickety clack and the feedback from it.

Today's Fun project was setting up a retropi for the arcade cab I'm going to build. I just played through "The Punisher" for the first time in my life and fucking God damn it's fantastic.

Danny Dudekisser

hey guys, here's my impulse buy:

I said it in the Gamecube thread, and I'll say it again: FE: Path of Radiance is a masterpiece.

Today's Fun project was setting up a retropi for the arcade cab I'm going to build. I just played through "The Punisher" for the first time in my life and fucking God damn it's fantastic.

The Punisher is my second favorite beat-em-up. I absolutely adore the game. My favorite remains Cadillacs & Dinosaurs. Those two games just do everything right. Great pacing, they feel amazing to play, and they just look cool. I'm not as much of a fan of Capcom's CPS2-era beat-em-ups, even though they're still excellent. They're just not as cool.

I never saw Punisher in the wild. Every CPS2 beat em up in those huge blue cabinets was AvP when I was in the arcade. Or maybe Captain commando.

I'd recommend playing Night Slashers if you guys haven't. I usually need some humor in my beat em up, whether it's intentional or not.

I said it in the Gamecube thread, and I'll say it again: FE: Path of Radiance is a masterpiece.
awesome! i now have to find an open copy =)

hey retroGAF,
just found a 2nd guncon2 at a local trade meet in the retro store i frequent for 8 bucks.
going to hang with Peltz tomorrow and play some time crisis 2 split screen.
C4dTAtCm.jpg

Dude you should just have two guncons to play those games John Woo style in solo. So satisfying
I imagine that would be difficult to play since each player has a different perspective in TC2&3
Fularu and sixteen-bit,
was looking into what we were discussing before and found this on the back of the Time Crisis 2 box: i guess there is an official mode for Fularu's idea.
PvHoSz9h.jpg

Fularu

Banned
awesome! i now have to find an open copy =)

hey retroGAF,
just found a 2nd guncon2 at a local trade meet in the retro store i frequent for 8 bucks.
going to hang with Peltz tomorrow and play some time crisis 2 split screen.
C4dTAtCm.jpg

Fularu and sixteen-bit,
was looking into what we were discussing before and found this on the back of the Time Crisis 2 box: i guess there is an official mode for Fularu's idea.
PvHoSz9h.jpg

I knew I wasn't making things up! I have every long box Guncon game (with guncons) for the PS2 and I remember doing it in all those games :p (that's what you get for having 5 guncons 2s :p)

that's an awesome arcade game. so much better than final fight.

I agree with you there. Mike Haggar is the fucking man though.

The Punisher is my second favorite beat-em-up. I absolutely adore the game. My favorite remains Cadillacs & Dinosaurs. Those two games just do everything right. Great pacing, they feel amazing to play, and they just look cool. I'm not as much of a fan of Capcom's CPS2-era beat-em-ups, even though they're still excellent. They're just not as cool.

I'll have to try C&D next. God punisher is great though.

Being able to use your special attack while holding an enemy is so satisfying

The dudley style dash punch at the end of your forward attack combo is so satisfying.

Nick fury blowing smoke rings with his cigarette is so satisfying

Danny Dudekisser

I agree with you there. Mike Haggar is the fucking man though.

I'll have to try C&D next. God punisher is great though.

Being able to use your special attack while holding an enemy is so satisfying

The dudley style dash punch at the end of your forward attack combo is so satisfying.

Nick fury blowing smoke rings with his cigarette is so satisfying

C&D does a really good job of integrating guns into the proceedings. You don't have segments where you whip out a pistol and go to town on fools like in The Punisher, but they play a major role through the whole game.

And it has a great soundtrack.

As for collecting deals, anyone buying NES games in the later '90s to mid '00s got deals for sure... or N64 games in the mid '00s, or Genesis games anytime that decade. I don't have most of the really valuable games because I usually prefer to get more cheaper games instead of fewer more expensive ones, but as I started collecting before prices went as high as they have, sure, there are some games I got good deals on. However, once I have a game I don't go checking prices all the time, so while I know some games I got cheap, I'm sure there are others I don't realize are as valuable now as they are...

So here are some good deals I got, all local purchases and not from online:

Probably the most valuable game I have is Metal Storm for the NES, which I have with the cart and box (no manual though). I paid $16 for that cart-and-box-only copy in summer 2010. That was a good deal then, even better later. (and the game is fantastic too, one of the better action games on the system!)

After that, maybe my next best deal was also from summer 2010, when I got these seven Sega CD games for $20 total: Silpheed (complete), Robo Aleste (complete), Android Assault (complete), The Adventures of Batman & Robin (complete), Chuck Rock 2: Son of Chuck (complete), Chuck Rock (disc only), and Spiderman vs. The Kingpin (disc only). ... Yeah, that was a very good deal. I'm sure I'd have gotten Silpheed and The Adventures of Batman & Robin even without that deal, and probably at least a Japanese copy of Robo Aleste, since those games are amazing, but there's no way I'd have Android Assault otherwise...

Other than that... well, in early 2008 I got a cart-only copy of Bucky O'Hare for the NES for $3. Fair price at the time probably, now quite valuable. Also... for some odd reason the Game Gear version of Urban Strike goes for $50-plus cart only, and I got a cart-only copy for a dollar in 2011. That's about the most I'd pay for that game, really. For a couple more, I got a complete copy of Phantasy Star Online I & II Plus for the Gamecube for $5 back in 2007. Or for a more recent find, finding great deals is far less common than it used to be, but last year I did find and get a sealed copy of Silent Hill 3 for the PS2 for $3. I haven't opened it because that's not really my kind of game, so I haven't been sure what I want to do with the thing...

I'm sure there are more, I have a lot of games now, but what's valuable...

On the other hand ,one quite valuable game I remember seeing for very reasonable prices -- not cheap, but way less than it goes for now -- but did not buy, unfortunately, is Pocky & Rocky. I really wish I had... too bad.

NES thread is of course still in gaming. Is it the only thread linked the OP here that, for whatever reason, maintains main gaming status? It's the only one that I'm subbed to that is still there.
I just checked some and the Neo-Geo, Sega CD, and PS2 threads are also still in Gaming.

NDPsycho

What's the best deal you guys have gotten for a retro game?

I let my local game store borrow my Sega CD so they could test a bunch of games and they let me buy Snatcher for the price they paid for it which was $80.

My best deal ever was a yard sale selling off stock of an old rental store a couple years ago. I picked up hundreds of games (out of thousands they had) over a couple visits. Would have loved to have bought them all, but I bought what I had cash on hand for (when I went back for a third time, everything was gone). All were a quarter. I documented it here.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=173757351&postcount=6173

I wasn't fully aware of everything I had, but I knew some of the gems like Metal Storm, Ducktales 2, Chip and Dale 2, Contra Force. I later found out how cool some of the others were like Fire 'n Ice, Wacky Races and Bubble Bobble 2 being the best find. SNES was really picked over, but I did manage to get some including Pocky & Rocky and The Twisted Tales of Spike McFang. Some were missing manuals, but all had their boxes. Sold off the extras that were picked up (was honestly filling boxes with what I thought was cool and had quite a few extras). Funds from that paid for the rest of the Mega Man games I didn't have and an arcade cab. Was one of the only right place at the right time moments of my life.

Peltz

My best deal ever was a yard sale selling off stock of an old rental store a couple years ago. I picked up hundreds of games (out of thousands they had) over a couple visits. Would have loved to have bought them all, but I bought what I had cash on hand for (when I went back for a third time, everything was gone). All were a quarter. I documented it here.

I wasn't fully aware of everything I had, but I knew some of the gems like Metal Storm, Ducktales 2, Chip and Dale 2, Contra Force. I later found out how cool some of the others were like Fire 'n Ice, Wacky Races and Bubble Bobble 2 being the best find. SNES was really picked over, but I did manage to get some including Pocky & Rocky and The Twisted Tales of Spike McFang. Some were missing manuals, but all had their boxes. Sold off the extras that were picked up (was honestly filling boxes with what I thought was cool and had quite a few extras). Funds from that paid for the rest of the Mega Man games I didn't have and an arcade cab. Was one of the only right place at the right time moments of my life.

Damn... amazing

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Meh. If anything, it's the one thread that shouldn't be in Community. Let the console-specific threads be there while this thread gives exposure to retrogaming in Gaming side.

Agree, there needs to be a way for regular/new gaffers interested in retro-gaming to discover these threads. Guess we just needs to advertise them whenever a retro-topic is brought up on gaming-side.

HOLY SHIT

BTails

Or for a more recent find, finding great deals is far less common than it used to be, but last year I did find and get a sealed copy of Silent Hill 3 for the PS2 for $3. I haven't opened it because that's not really my kind of game, so I haven't been sure what I want to do with the thing..

But SH3 is arguably the second best game in the series! Great score for $3, and I highly recommend playing it.

Meanwhile, I had a flight to Toronto today for business, and kept myself amused with a little Circle of the Moon, which I have not played since it originally released:

Peltz

Guys, I'm addicted to Puyo Puyo Tetris. Like, as I sit here at my desk at work, I'm thinking about getting home immediately and playing it.

I played it for a few hours with Dave yesterday too. It's such a great party game.

Not including this game, what was everyone's favorite version of Tetris? And what's everyone's favorite version of Puyo?

For me, my favorite version of Tetris was Tetris Worlds Online on the original Xbox. It came with a subscription to Xbox Live when the service first launched back in 2002. It was the first time I played Tetris online and saw just how super-human someone could be at the game. Everyone used voice chat back then too and I made some friends with regular players who were fun to game with.

My favorite version of Puyo would have to be Kirby's Avalanche. It doesn't have many bells or whistles or anything, but I really love the soundtrack, and it's totally a nostalgic choice. I basically discovered Puyo for myself when this game came out.

Tain

Guys, I'm addicted to Puyo Puyo Tetris. Like, as I sit here at my desk at work, I'm thinking about getting home immediately and playing it.

I played it for a few hours with Dave yesterday too. It's such a great party game.

Not including this game, what was everyone's favorite version of Tetris? And what's everyone's favorite version of Puyo?

The best Tetris game will always be Tetris the Grandmaster 3. The TGM series is just so far ahead of e v e r y t h i n g and it's an utter tragedy that it isn't more accessible (no real console releases) and you see people putting games like Tetris DS over it.

Puyo is less-played for me, but I prefer Tsu to Fever. PPT seems like the best all-around, though?

Top Bottom