• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

Just beat the special stages off of Star Road in SMW, unlocking bizarro world!

Haven't done this in ages!

Y6XNxuP.jpg

UrtW2X7.jpg

eZtmzsj.jpg

For me, this is what it means to beat the game for real. The rest of the stages in this game pale in comparison for difficulty.

Please join me in rejoicing with some Satellaview exclusive cool Mario jazz.

Laws00

For me, this is what it means to beat the game for real. The rest of the stages in this game pale in comparison for difficulty.

I don't know what it is but I have 94% of the game completed. Reading the official guide and what not the game is complete at 96% and there is a star next to it. To this day I have not figured out what the hell I need to have completed to get this other 2%

Please join me in rejoicing with some Satellaview exclusive cool Mario jazz.

My wife and I do this every month or two. We can get it done in an afternoon.

I don't know what it is but I have 94% of the game completed. Reading the official guide and what not the game is complete at 96% and there is a star next to it. To this day I have not figured out what the hell I need to have completed to get this other 2%

Every level that has multiple exits is either a ghost house or a red dot. If there's a level with a red dot but only one path coming off of it, then that's probably what you're looking for. It might also be the Forest of Illusion where there's a lot of weird exits.

Do you have Top Secret Area?

I always had trouble getting to Soda Lake from the Cheese Bridge Area but that's because I didn't realize you could jump off Yoshi and thought you had to use the cape. It should be easy to tell you're missing those two exits though because of the red dot.

I don't have Princess Crown, but Odin Sphere and Muramasa are really beautiful games with incredibly repetitive and sometimes boring combat. I am definitely not a fan. Dragon's Crown I kind of like, since its combat is more of a traditional beat 'em up, but not those. I dropped both games early to midway through out of boredom.

On the other hand though, Star Ocean 2 is great and one of my favorite PS1 games. It's also the only Star Ocean game I really like; the others aren't even close to its quality... (Oh, and had the first game released in the US that the second game is mostly a fantasy RPG would have been much less surprising, since yeah, the first one stars a sci-fi guy stranded in a fantasy world and is almost exclusively an anime-fantasy game.) But yeah, Star Ocean 2 is really good.

I don't have Princess Crown, but Odin Sphere and Muramasa are really beautiful games with incredibly repetitive and sometimes boring combat. I am definitely not a fan. Dragon's Crown I kind of like, since its combat is more of a traditional beat 'em up, but not those. I dropped both games early to midway through out of boredom.

On the other hand though, Star Ocean 2 is great and one of my favorite PS1 games. It's also the only Star Ocean game I really like; the others aren't even close to its quality... (Oh, and had the first game released in the US that the second game is mostly a fantasy RPG would have been much less surprising, since yeah, the first one stars a sci-fi guy stranded in a fantasy world and is almost exclusively an anime-fantasy game.) But yeah, Star Ocean 2 is really good.

Huh, I found Dragons Crown extremely boring in comparison to Muramasa. I wasn't the biggest fan of Odin Sphere, either, though.

dubc35

I hadn't heard of Odin Spear but was looking to pick it up based on how gorgeous it looks. It sounds like it looks better than it plays then?

I hadn't heard of Odin Spear but was looking to pick it up based on how gorgeous it looks. It sounds like it looks better than it plays then?

For the original PS2 title, I would certainly say so.

As I understand it, Odin Sphere Leifthrasir, the more recent version for PS3, PS4 and Vita, addresses a lot of the issues with the original and makes it much better. I only briefly played the demo, but even there, I could tell it was a better game. Maybe check that one out if you can.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace

You probably needs to just take a normal exit in the star world, they count as well but dont give you additional routes on the map. Try beating all of them the regular way, and Im sure you will get to 96.

Laws00

You probably needs to just take a normal exit in the star world, they count as well but dont give you additional routes on the map. Try beating all of them the regular way, and Im sure you will get to 96.
I've had this done since the early to mid 90s when I was a kid. I really don't know or wouldn't know what to look for.

One day I'll dig through my basement of games for it and take pictures

It's either something complicated I missed or something really simple

jonno394

Is the retron 5 the best alternate to getting an original SNES or is there something else? I seem to remember a thread on GAF about a new device that plays SNES cartridges sometime in the last 6 months but can't find it :/

D.Lo

Ok, i'll rephrase it, what's the best way to play original cartridges outside of a SNES :)
A SNOAC (Retron 3 is one I think) would be better than a nasty Android box. Retron 5 doesn't even actually play the carts, it dumps them then plays the rom.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I've had this done since the early to mid 90s when I was a kid. I really don't know or wouldn't know what to look for.

One day I'll dig through my basement of games for it and take pictures

It's either something complicated I missed or something really simple

Try the regular exits in the Star Roar-stages, they are easy to miss.

Fularu

Banned
A SNOAC (Retron 3 is one I think) would be better than a nasty Android box. Retron 5 doesn't even actually play the carts, it dumps them then plays the rom.

Afaik the Retron 3 only has composite out. That's garbage and I believe a GameFreak or Retron 5 would be a better option.

Is the retron 5 the best alternate to getting an original SNES or is there something else? I seem to remember a thread on GAF about a new device that plays SNES cartridges sometime in the last 6 months but can't find it :/

Why not just get a SNES? They're not so pricey and you can't really top the real hardware.

Ok, i'll rephrase it, what's the best way to play original cartridges outside of a SNES :)

Your milage may vary, but a retron console or a retro-bit retro duo twin are probably the most realistic options.

Go for the Retro Freak console if you want, but it's a more expensive and seemingly extravagant option.

Why not just get a SNES? They're not so pricey and you can't really top the real hardware.

This is what I'd suggest, too.

Tell us why you don't want a SNES and we might be able to better help you with alternatives. But I'm having a hard time understanding why you'd want to go any other route unless you just have to have a device that plays multiple systems
poorly
in order to save shelf space.

Peltz

Either use all original hardware, or use emulators with ROMS. But don't use carts in an amateur-made emulator. It doesn't make any sense. I wouldn't trust a fan-made emulator to not damage my 25 year old PCB. You're not getting a more authentic experience by using something ZSNES on your real cart. Just get a Rasberry Pi load some roms in there if you want a fan made emulation system.

If you want something that is 240p and or 480p, get a Wii and buy legit games (which is what I recommend). It's still the most authentic way to emulate old games.

But don't do that silly half measure of using shoddy clone hardware on real carts. It just makes no sense.

Either use all original hardware, or use emulators with ROMS. But don't use carts in an amateur-made emulator. It doesn't make any sense. I wouldn't trust a fan-made emulator to not damage my 25 year old PCB. You're not getting a more authentic experience by using something ZSNES on your real cart. Just get a Rasberry Pi load some roms in there if you want a fan made emulation system.

If you want something that is 240p and or 480p, get a Wii and buy legit games (which is what I recommend). It's still the most authentic way to emulate old games.

But don't do that silly half measure of using shoddy clone hardware on real carts. It just makes no sense.

This is a hardcore mentality, one that I definitely respect and adhere to myself for the most part, but it's definitely an "all in, all out" (sort of) mindset.

Some people don't care about emulation and just want to game, which is cool, and in that case, finding the most cost-effective and simplistic method is the best way. I think the Retron and other emu-consoles are effective middle-of-the-road options, and while I don't think they suit me, I'd definitely recommend them based on price and convenience alone. Sometimes you just need a quick SNES fix!

I agree with you 100%. It's also worth noting that the Raspberry Pi can do 240p/480p as well

This is a hardcore mentality, one that I definitely respect and adhere to myself for the most part, but it's definitely an "all in, all out" (sort of) mindset.

Some people don't care about emulation and just want to game, which is cool, and in that case, finding the most cost-effective and simplistic method is the best way. I think the Retron and other emu-consoles are effective middle-of-the-road options, and while I don't think they suit me, I'd definitely recommend them based on price and convenience alone. Sometimes you just need a quick SNES fix!

I agree with this. It's a nice easy package at a much more swallow-able price. I myself don't want to use anything other than my SNES for playing SNES titles. But growing up I did play most SNES titles through emulation and as such I grew up respecting it as an alternative. Also support of emulation will be the only way of preserving games in the longer run anyways given how most companies aren't concerned with game media preservation.

Peltz

But Raspberry Pi or OG Wii are even cheaper. Why wouldn't you just go with one of those if money is a concern?

But Raspberry Pi or OG Wii are even cheaper. Why wouldn't you just go with one of those if money is a concern?

Not necessarily money, just out of the box functionality and convenience factor in. Plus, the added fact they are utilizing their carts, even if the ROMs are just being dumped, is part of the package for retrons and the like.

BTails

Y'all gonna buy Megaman Legacy Collection 2? To be completely honest, I'm more intrigued by the fact that it's NOT Digital Eclipse. Frank Cifaldi obviously has a lot of love for retro games, but for all the hype on various podcasts/interviews, both the first Megaman Collection and the Disney Afternoon releases had strange emulation issues.

Y'all gonna buy Megaman Legacy Collection 2? To be completely honest, I'm more intrigued by the fact that it's NOT Digital Eclipse. Frank Cifaldi obviously has a lot of love for retro games, but for all the hype on various podcasts/interviews, both the first Megaman Collection and the Disney Afternoon releases had strange emulation issues.

I'm unsure about it. I've owned pretty much all of the megaman collections over the years and I've never played a single one. I always end up playing the originals on original hardware. I've never played 9 and 10 but when I do it'll probably be on Wii.

This collection will be the only way to get 9 and 10 on physical though!

edit : Now im looking into it. MM9 and 10 really ONLY output at 480i on Wii? Was this ever fixed with homebrew? Can I force 240p or 480p? Otherwise Dolphin is sounding like the best way to play these.

I own all of the games already in their original form, plus I have 9 on all three platforms.

I don't really think they can improve over the originals tbh, probably just make them worse. So probably not going to buy.

Switch would have been the only thing that could have improved upon the original experience. No Switch, no buy.

Shoulda had Rockman & Forte. Call me when they drop a Megaman Legends collection imo.

Fularu

Banned
I could never get into the Legends games. I have no idea why they're so popular.

With that said, my new setup is ready, will post pictures later.

Tain

I need PC-native Rockman 9&10 so I'm definitely getting it. Don't care much for 7 and 8. R&F never looked all that great to me but yeah it probably should be in here.

I haven't heard of many issues with MMLC on PC and it ran great from my time with it. Shame about the issues with other versions.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I heard the PC version of MMLC was kind of shit. Didn't actually play it, just heard some not so great reviews.

But yeah, I'm probably in for this one for MM9 and 10. Doubly so if it comes out on GOG.

I changed my setup a couple months ago to just have everything hooked up. The IKEA boxes were pretty space inefficient for that so I added half shelves in using some cut up shelving board I got at Home Depot. Not perfect but I'm pretty happy with the results:

(not pictured: more than half of my consoles)

Fularu

Banned
I changed my setup a couple months ago to just have everything hooked up. The IKEA boxes were pretty space inefficient for that so I added half shelves in using some cut up shelving board I got at Home Depot. Not perfect but I'm pretty happy with the results:

(not pictured: more than half of my consoles)

I ordered those to hook up the rest (PS4, 360 and PS3) :

http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/60346070/

They're made for the Kallax shelves I bought and look great.

Vespa

The white PS2 looking very elegant there, I kinda wish it had white buttons though. Please tell me you have a spice Gamecube!

Setups look great guys! I always enjoy seeing pictures.

I need PC-native Rockman 9&10 so I'm definitely getting it.

Hate to be the one to break it to you but it's most likely going to be emulation. With how well dolphin runs it may be the better choice.

Top Bottom