• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

Yes Boss!

Brought back some Selectys from my trip to cali. I dig them. Just solid switchers. I understand now most use scart but I still mostly use JP21 as they work for me. I also have all the scart cables for my systems so will likely get the new version on that scart switcher as well.

2867D703-3871-4B1A-90E0-9EFFA140B1AC_2.jpg

Yes Boss!

So, I'm at E3, and Nintendo is clearly the only thing worth giving a shit about anymore.

Ultimately it's all that makes giving a shit about. Always has been the case. Not to be a fanboy, but there is Nintendo and then all else as catch up. I mean, just look at that new Spidey game and it is hard to feel anything but a bit sad at what the industry has become. Thankfully there seems to be an upswing in stuff from Japanese devs.

Ultimately it's all that makes giving a shit about. Always has been the case. Not to be a fanboy, but there is Nintendo and then all else as catch up. I mean, just look at that new Spidey game and it is hard to feel anything but a bit sad at what the industry has become. Thankfully there seems to be an upswing in stuff from Japanese devs.
I mean... not really. I get the cynicism about modern western gaming, but when I say nintendo is the only thing that gets me excited in the console space, I'm speaking to 1st party offerings. Uncharted is boring. Halo is no longer for me. But there are tons of games that look fantastic coming out on a pretty regular basis, from the east and west alike. Games like Anthem or Assassin's Creed origins are experimenting a bit in a stagnant AAA space -- or at minimum within the devs' personal comfort zone -- and there are games like Wolfenstein that are just fun as hell.

televator

*Shrugs*

I'm good with what PS4 and Xbone are offering. Modern Nintendo is mostly pretty distant from my tastes. Metroid is the only thing Nintendo got me with.

Timu

Eh, I look forward to what's coming on PS4, X1 and Switch equally. There's more than enough games to last me for a long time with those consoles. I'm down with those Nintendo exclusives, but I need that third party support that the PS4 and X1 offers as well.

My favorite slow mech sim, easily. Enjoy it, it's rough!

I think the controller and adds a lot to the game but overshadows how good the game itself is.

I am absolutely terrible at the mech/mech sim games, but the controller is so awesome, it really pulls you into the game.

Eh, I look forward to what's coming on PS4, X1 and Switch equally. There's more than enough games to last me for a long time with those consoles. I'm down with those Nintendo exclusives, but I need that third party support that the PS4 and X1 offers as well.

Same and I'm a huge Nintendo fan. Been playing a ton of Friday the 13th lately. The game is buggy, crashes and not that polished, but it's some of the most fun I've had in years and the best part is trying to escape from Jason with your best friends or randoms(most of whom have mics and talk!).

Also, this year has been absolutely amazing with games on all consoles/handhelds.

Peltz

So, I'm at E3, and Nintendo is clearly the only thing worth giving a shit about anymore.

Nintendo is the most consistent in my opinion. But the other platforms still have cool looking games coming.

Did you guys see Anthem? I was watching that video like

giphy.gif

Who knows if it will actually be a good game though. BioWare has a pretty spotty track record these days. Plus Zelda BotW totally changed the way how open world games should be evaluated. It will be tough to top that even with the best graphics.

The game I'm excited for most that is not on a Nintendo console is actually Moss for PSVR. I'm not sure what it is, but something about that game looks really promising. The point and click genre feels like a nice fit for VR I guess?

For the most part, I agree with you though. I care mostly about Nintendo as my main platform and the rest is all supplementary.

I won't be able to play DB Fighterz on a Nintendo platform, so I'll disagree.

Oh yea, that game looks dope as fuck.

I mean, just look at that new Spidey game and it is hard to feel anything but a bit sad at what the industry has become. Thankfully there seems to be an upswing in stuff from Japanese devs.

I agree with this. All of those scripted moments really ruin what could've been a fun game.

I never set out to be a Nintendo fanboy it just seems to have happened. The fact that the switch is just so much fun to use certainly helps.

This has been my e3

Xbox:

Huh.. Nice power for the price but there's no games I want to play on it. I already have a gaming pc with twice the teraflops. According to xbox more teraflops is more fun right?

Sony:

God of war has my interest but I'll wait for reviews and when it drops to $20

SOTC is one of the all time greats but I've already beat it a dozen times so eh

Nintendo:

Omg Mario x rabbids actually looks great!
Omg Yoshi looks incredible!
Omg rocket league on switch? Fuck yeah!
Omg Kirby looks incredible!
Omg metroid prime 4!
Omg a new 2d metroid!
Omg mario looks incredible!
Omg xenoblade 2 looks incredible!
Omg a new mainline Pokemon confirmed for switch!
Omg Zelda dlc. I love botw!

There's a few 3rd party games that have my attention too. Mvci, dbz, Wolfenstein, Southpark but that's about it. My modern gaming interests these days is really with Nintendo and indies. I've mostly checked out of AAA gaming with a few exceptions.

Nintendo has consistently had my attention. Even when they don't even bother coming to E3, I'm still looking forward to what they are doing. My opinion on their conference is identical to socksfelloff except Rocket League.

I find myself less interested in Sony as time goes on but it was always an uneasy alliance on that front. As long as they're the home of Valkyria, Yakuza and Persona (even though I haven't played 5), I will continue buying their platforms. PC doesn't count unless PC means something other than Windows to Sega in the future. Spiderman looked like it could be fun. Otherwise, whoo-hoo zombies... I missed most of the Uncharted portion because Sony doesn't understand audio anymore apparently. I'll reserve judgement on SOTC since I never had a PS2. I didn't like God of War back in the day. I doubt that's changed. My wife is super hyped for Monster Hunter though. Why didn't they show Ni No Kuni? More proof that Sony and I have taken different paths.

I've never owned an Xbox regardless of how many numbers or Xs Microsoft has thrown at it. Most of their conference had me saying "Wow, another shooter, who could have guessed?" If I were in high school and cared about multiplayer games that don't splat, I would want an Xbox for Sea of Thieves. Cuphead also looks great. I hope they release it on Mac or make it easy to play with WINE. I have been a Microsoft hater since they called Linux un-American but I am always willing to change my mind at these kinds of events. It's never happened and I will be surprised if it ever does. The only thing they do that I'm someone stoked about is Azure and that's because you can run Linux on it.

^ I've been a Linux guy for many years too but I've always conceded and used windows for gaming. Its just not a fight worth fighting anymore lol.

Assuming they straight up remake SOTC exactly as it was and maybe improve the controls it's absolutely worth your time and interest. If they add "lit" skins and snoop dog voice packs I'd recommend you stay away.

God of war 4 is looking like a departure from the previous games so I feel you shouldn't judge it based on the previous. I'm in the opposite camp where I really enjoyed the beat em up gameplay of the previous games and I'm now sceptical on their new approach.

Tain

Modern Nintendo is good and I'm pumped for ARMS and holy shit Mario looks so great but Nintendo is far from the only dev I care about these days. Microsoft and Sony both had surprisingly weak showings overall.

DBZ looks sick. It's insane how I have so many great recent fighting games that I want to put time into right now, and that will be yet another. Aside from that, Wolfenstein will be an excellent (as anybody that played The New Order knows), and Evil Within 2 could be Mikami's best if the correct criticism of the original was taken into account.

Moss and Doom VFR look pretty neat, too.

ss_b13da4dca49d4bc95b955da783582225fa145d12.600x338.jpg
ss_7c2ecc7a12db983ef33fc74c229c90240b8c0594.600x338.jpg

I've been playing this game called Airtone recently. It's a Japanese-developed VR music game with excellent original music, tight note charts, a high skill ceiling, 2-minute songs, and gorgeous and vibrant visuals. It almost feels like I'm playing a new home port of some lost mid-2000s arcade music game, except it's using VR to provide a more reliable and complex spin on the core mechanics of Samba de Amigo while also sticking me in the middle of these loud-ass BPM-pulsating environments. Shit like this is exactly what I've wanted from VR, and that it's starting to crystallize is making me all the more optimistic for its future.

So yeah, I'm generally very into new games still, even if something like Spider-Man PS4 puts me to sleep lol.

entremet

Nintendo seems to be extremely consistent about gameplay ruling above all. Indies are there as well. And so is VR weirdly enough. But the bigger games tend to have a greater focus on narrative and presentation, which is fine for those who love it, but it doesn't move my needle much.

As much flack ND gets from purists, I love TLOU's gameplay. But then we got Uncharted 4 and there was a regression.

There are still great output there, but the big tentpole games that get all the PR--AssCreed, Mass Effect (lol), God of War, Madden, GTA, etc., just don't do anything for me. It's fine. Nintendo, Japanese publishers not named SE lol, and indies of all kinds keep me busy enough

I do give SE props on Nier, tho.

Nintendo's e3 format continues to win. The press conferences are a snooze vs a 30 min highlight + new announcements every day keeps people engaged + tons of gameplay streamed.

Not too much I'm interested in though. On the Nintendo front, the Metroid on 3DS looks really nice, Fire Emblem Warriors (which I will 100% get on 3DS) looks like fun, and the new Kirby will surely be fun, but it's been pretty thin in terms of stuff I'm into. I don't think I'm on board for another open Mario game (the focus of the levels in 3D Land / World is sooooo goood), but I'd love to be proven wrong. In AAA land, as a lapsed fan of the series Assassin's Creed Origins looks great, I'm really hoping Monster Hunter World turns out well, elsewhere zzzzz.

I think I'm kind of OK with the idea that I might only like 2 or 3 "big" games per year going forward, and otherwise I can just play my old stuff.

televator

I never set out to be a Nintendo fanboy it just seems to have happened. The fact that the switch is just so much fun to use certainly helps.

This has been my e3

Xbox:

Huh.. Nice power for the price but there's no games I want to play on it. I already have a gaming pc with twice the teraflops. According to xbox more teraflops is more fun right?

Sony:

God of war has my interest but I'll wait for reviews and when it drops to $20

SOTC is one of the all time greats but I've already beat it a dozen times so eh

Nintendo:

Omg Mario x rabbids actually looks great!
Omg Yoshi looks incredible!
Omg rocket league on switch? Fuck yeah!
Omg Kirby looks incredible!
Omg metroid prime 4!
Omg a new 2d metroid!
Omg mario looks incredible!
Omg xenoblade 2 looks incredible!
Omg a new mainline Pokemon confirmed for switch!
Omg Zelda dlc. I love botw!

There's a few 3rd party games that have my attention too. Mvci, dbz, Wolfenstein, Southpark but that's about it. My modern gaming interests these days is really with Nintendo and indies. I've mostly checked out of AAA gaming with a few exceptions.

I don't get the same OMG feeling for any of that. Even though I want Metroid to be great, I still keep it at arms distance because of what Nintendo has done to nearly kill the franchise before. I can no longer play Mario, Yoshi, and Kirby... or really any cutesy game for more than an hour at a time. Doesn't matter if it's Nintendo or Sony or some other 3rd party mascot game. There's a reason I sold off my Klonoa games... There are exceptions like Pikmin though. Something about controlling ravanous ant like creatures that savagely kill and consume everything in their path speaks to me... lol I just hope Nintendo leaves the gimmicks in the options menu.

Meanwhile, Noughty Dog and Sony's other studios have me hooked; MS's technological and emulation efforts have me excited; and indie/multiplats will look and perform better on the 4k consoles.

Peltz

Windjammers is so damn good by the way. I played a few rounds against the CPU before work this morning. Part of it, however, feels a very half baked though.

Like the characters should have more personality and there should be more stages/environments. There should also be more than 6 characters. And the two minigames (the dog catching the disc and the bowling one) feel very out of place and have a score count despite there not being a score count in the rest of the game. Also, the entire 1 player mode is just 6 rounds against the CPU opponents with no ending or "boss" opponent. The whole affair lacks drama that most classic arcade games tend to have.

It's a good thing that the core gameplay is so darn good. Because it's a very sparse overall package. Still, I can't wait to play this game with some human opponents. It's going to be extremely addictive.

Meanwhile, Noughty Dog and Sony's other studios have me hooked; MS's technological and emulation efforts have me excited; and indie/multiplats will look and perform better on the 4k consoles.

Microsoft is absolutely killing it for me for the same reasons. When Microsoft is the underdog they do great work

Windjammers is so damn good by the way. I played a few rounds against the CPU before work this morning. Part of it, however, feels a very half baked though.

Like the characters should have more personality and there should be more stages/environments. There should also be more than 6 characters. And the two minigames (the dog catching the disc and the bowling one) feel very out of place and have a score count despite there not being a score count in the rest of the game. Also, the entire 1 player mode is just 6 rounds against the CPU opponents with no ending or "boss" opponent. The whole affair lacks drama that most classic arcade games tend to have.

It's a good thing that the core gameplay is so darn good. Because it's a very sparse overall package. Still, I can't wait to play this game with some human opponents. It's going to be extremely addictive.

This is my main issue with the game, but it isn't as much as the game's fault as it is the current prices for it. It is an insanely small package for the price.

Playing it against another friend, however, is such a good experience. This is why I am excited for the new release, hopefully they don't mess it up.

Not to detract at all from you owning it, that is extremely cool and I wish I had it too!

Grats on the familial additions as well! (nephew and game)

Timu

After E3 2017, I want these games guys(though some were announced before E3):

Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy-PS4
Sonic Mania-Switch
Uncharted: The Lost Legacy-PS4
Knack II-PS4
Forza Motorsport 7-X1
South Park: The Fractured but Whole-PC
Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus-PC
Super Mario Odyssey-Switch
Crackdown 3-X1
Star Wars Battlefront II-PC
Metroid Prime 4-Switch
Yoshi-Switch
Kirby-Switch
God of War-PS4
Spider Man-PS4
Days Gone-PS4
Shadow of the Colossus Remake-PS4
Fire Emblem Warriors-Switch
Metro Exodus-PC
Red Dead Redemption 2-PS4
Psychonauts 2-PC
Super Lucky's Tale-X1
Anthem-PC
Cuphead-X1
Sonic Forces-Switch
Far Cry 5-PC

Guess I got a ton of gaming to do!!!

My list is considerably shorter, but I hardly buy games these days:

Anthem
Assassin's Creed Origins
Monster Hunter World (still skeptical, but we'll see)
Metroid Prime 4
Metroid Samus Returns
Splatoon 2
Microsoft is absolutely killing it for me for the same reasons. When Microsoft is the underdog they do great work
The backwards compatibility stuff is amazing. Especially given we still don't have an xbox emulator on PC. Praying against all hope that MS starts a VC-like service on W10 with their xbox and 360 emulators.

Wow, really, I didn't know that! I pretty much get a lot of new games nowadays due to them getting cheaper overtime.
Lately my obsession has been plants and vivaria, so that's where all my money has gone. Also been slowly going through some backlog so there's no rush.

Because it's a very sparse overall package. Still, I can't wait to play this game with some human opponents. It's going to be extremely addictive.

Yep, playing against other people is why the game is still so highly thought of, its always been a multiplayer game first and foremost.

The backwards compatibility stuff is amazing. Especially given we still don't have an xbox emulator on PC. Praying against all hope that MS starts a VC-like service on W10 with their xbox and 360 emulators.

Microsoft have all the documentation to get an emulator up and running, for them it just takes the will to do so, not really comparable to people trying to code an emulator on pc.

Microsoft have all the documentation to get an emulator up and running, for them it just takes the will to do so, not really comparable to people trying to code an emulator on pc.
It's still a pretty impressive stroke of engineering getting an emulator for the 360 working on a console that is, by modern standards, rather weak. Especially in the CPU department. It's definitely a feat of high-level emulation even with all their documentation.

It's still a pretty impressive stroke of engineering getting an emulator for the 360 working on a console that is, by modern standards, rather weak. Especially in the CPU department. It's definitely a feat of high-level emulation even with all their documentation.

it was always possible though given that sony managed to do the same with ps2 emulation on ps4, and thats an even greater achievement given the complexity of that hardware.

it was always possible though given that sony managed to do the same with ps2 emulation on ps4, and thats an even greater achievement given the complexity of that hardware.
I don't see how you can make this claim when we don't know enough about the 360 or og xbox to even create comparable emulators.

I don't see how you can make this claim when we don't know enough about the 360 or og xbox to even create comparable emulators.

thats no reflection on the hardware developers ability to do so though and its well known that the main hurdle for the og xbox is the completely undocumented custom gpu and the way it handles its code being very difficult to translate to pc. these issues are then compounded by a lack of interest in the community until very recently from emulation devs.

if the same amount of people had worked on xbox as had dolphin and had the same amount of time then the progress would be radically different by now and those issues would more than likely be resolved.

BTails

I have Evil Within 2 and Uncharted Lost Odyssey preordered. Also interested in Doom VFR. Other than that, everything is so far off that I'll get excited about it later.

Speaking of retro, I was hoping that we'd see a Final Fantasy 30th anniversary collection for PS4 like was rumoured (FF1-9).

Crossposting from the PC Engine-thread:

So guys, i just got myself this beauty:

Nice! I looked into these interface units, but the price for both one of them and a CD unit ended up being about the same as a Turbo Duo, so I went with that.

This is a much cooler option, though, and the perfect accessory for the PC Engine fan on the go.

Galdelico

Wow, that PC-Engine setup is pretty awesome.

Is that a better/more reliable solution, compared to the Turbo Duo, which I often see mentioned on that regard due to its tendency to fail?

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Thanks all of you, glad I am not the only one really liking this awesome setup :)

Get a real copy of Dracula X instead of that fan hacked nasty one. It has the PSP intro sound shoved in.

I will in time, this hacked version was included with the unit free of charge. No idea why anybody would want to have the PSP sound in it :(

Wow, that PC-Engine setup is pretty awesome.

Is that a better/more reliable solution, compared to the Turbo Duo, which I often see mentioned on that regard due to its tendency to fail?

I dont really know, but mine is both recapped, has an jailbar fix and a new lens, so hopefully it should work a long time. I originally wanted a Duo as well thanks to its cleaner look, but this one showed up at a local auction site, so i just couldnt help myself :)

Peltz

I still have never even played a PC Engine/TGFx before. Kind of hard to believe considering how much I love video games. I think it's the only marginally successful platform I've never played.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
This is my first time as well. Wasnt even remotely popular in Europe, and Im not sure it was even sold here in Norway. So happy that i now get to explore a completely new (for me) 16-bit library.

This is my first time as well. Wasnt even remotely popular in Europe, and Im not sure it was even sold here in Norway.

I think I read once that there were retailers who imported and sold the PC-Engine unofficially in the UK but that's as good as it got for the UK. NEC just didn't have the capital to do a real push to be competitive with Nintendo and Sega outside of Japan.

So happy that i now get to explore a completely new (for me) 16-bit library.

Debatable.

Crossposting from the PC Engine-thread:

So guys, i just got myself this beauty:

Beautiful!

Microsoft's emulation efforts are admirable and very welcome. The fact that they let you use your disc is icing on the cake. Sony's idea of charging you another $20 and asking "who even plays this old shit?" is bullshit.

Top Bottom