• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

D.Lo

I have many systems older than me lmao
I think you might have missed the joke that I bought those systems in stores when they first came out (well my parents money but still).

Understandable given your age. Kids these days with their spinners and pokemans... ;)

KC-Slater

Most of my retro consoles are tragically not my originals.

Same. I think that was the console-hustle back in the day -- trading in EVERYTHING towards that next system (at least that was the situation in my case.)

It wasn't until I was around 13-14 and working in a small video store that I was able to start buying off their old rental stock for pennies on the dollar and start building up my forever collection.

Same. I think that was the console-hustle back in the day -- trading in EVERYTHING towards that next system (at least that was the situation in my case.)

It wasn't until I was around 13-14 and working in a small video store that I was able to start buying off their old rental stock for pennies on the dollar and start building up my forever collection.

That was exactly me. When I was a kid as soon as something new came out the old was automatically garbage that I could never play again. It wasn't untill modern games(most) turned into hand holding simulators that I started to explore older games I'd missed.

JDH

Ugh I feel the pain man. Anything pre-PS2 was donated to charity by my parents. I hope you poor kids liked my consoles and games!

The worse part is everything was kept in immaculate shape and condition. It's so tough to find a truly taken care of console second-hand. I swear when I bought my Sega Saturn from eBay, it looked like some sort of animal died inside. It took me 2 weeks to clean everything out.

/shudders

D.Lo

I have my original Game Boy which I got in 1991, so 26 years there.

I have sold a bunch of PAL stuff in recent years to upgrade mostly to Japanese versions, but I made a small fortune on a lot of that, no trade nonsense lol.

I have a GB from 91 and SNES from 93 that are older than NormalFish. I would also count an NES from 87 in there but I sold it and of course have rebuilt my collection and far surpassed it since. Still, I bought my NEW, then-retro NES and started collecting in 1998. Two decades ago!

D.Lo

I have a GB from 91 and SNES from 93 that are older than NormalFish. I would also count an NES from 87 in there but I sold it and of course have rebuilt my collection and far surpassed it since. Still, I bought my NEW, then-retro NES and started collecting in 1998. Two decades ago!
Yeah I'm getting close to having my first IMPORT console being 20 years ago. My AV Famicom in 1999 I think.

which ship/weapon combo do you favour?
i just started Neo briefly a bit but haven't got far. instead, i spent time loading up classic zanac to compare to the RGB NTSC nes version. it feels different.

for classic zanac
the weapon i usually use if i'm trying to beat it without dying is number "1" fully powered up since it is one of the two rare weapons that can cut through mini bosses without bullets bouncing off ("5" is the other). as long i pass area 11, i can beat it in one life with that weapon.

what seems to be different for the PSN JYP disc and rom version is the ship starts out with 1 level of rapid fire already before getting the blue/red Compile monster.

Nice. I would love to have Zanac Neo on disc, but I'm going PSN as well cuz the price is ridiculous.
yeah, i looked at getting a copy and said forget it. PSN w/ 240p is fine with me.

Fularu

Banned
My V-Saturn was purchased on release month

My PCE Unit-Interface combo was purchased in 1989

My SNES is from 1991

My original PAL MK1 MD is from 1990

My Amiga 1200 is from 1993 and so on

I never sell/trade my systems :p

KC-Slater

My brother (who is 13 years younger, and more of a casual gamer) donated our GameCube to a family of new Canadians who had just moved into his elementary school while I was away at University. He thoughtfully kept Animal Crossing and the corresponding memory card with my save, as well as a Wavebird thinking at the time I would want to keep that (I did!)

I remember when I found this out, I was momentarily bummed that he gave it away, but I was also insanely proud of him.

v1perz53

Hmm, so I'm pretty good with Nintendo cartridges at spotting a fake, but are there any good guidelines for Genesis cartridges? I'm 90% sure the Bloodlines cartridge I got was a fake, but trying to make sure it isn't an authentic circuit board put in a repro new game shell. I can post pictures if it helps, but I don't think it'll be necessary, the game has an interrupted row of pins on one side, which I feel like is almost always a sign of a bootleg. And the name of the game is printed on the chip, but I can't find Konami or Sega printed anywhere else on the board.

Actually, only took 2 seconds, here's the picture, I can't imagine this is not a bootleg:
JYY1dJy.jpg

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Yeah, Majesco reprinted Bloodlines. IIRC the back of the cart has a solid black rectangle under SEGA.

BTails

Age talk in Retro GAF? I always assumed I was one of the youngest here... I just turned 30 yesterday (Happy Birthday to me!). Nothing Retro related for my birthday, my wife was going to buy me a Switch but she couldn't find one, so she bought GOlf Clubs instead, which to be fair I really needed.

She also got me Star Trek Bridge Crew for my PS4, a decidedly un-retro console. But VR is too cool.

I think you might have missed the joke that I bought those systems in stores when they first came out (well my parents money but still).

Understandable given your age. Kids these days with their spinners and pokemans... ;)
No, I got you. I still find it funny that despite the fact my collection is mostly "recent" systems and games, I've still got a number that predate me. Shows how young I am in the hobby.
i just started Neo briefly a bit but haven't got far. instead, i spent time loading up classic zanac to compare to the RGB NTSC nes version. it feels different.

for classic zanac
the weapon i usually use if i'm trying to beat it without dying is number "1" fully powered up since it is one of the two rare weapons that can cut through mini bosses without bullets bouncing off ("5" is the other). as long i pass area 11, i can beat it in one life with that weapon.

what seems to be different for the PSN JYP disc and rom version is the ship starts out with 1 level of rapid fire already before getting the blue/red Compile monster.

yeah, i looked at getting a copy and said forget it. PSN w/ 240p is fine with me.
The extra ship in zanacxzanac (think you get it by entering a cheat code or beating the zanac ps1 port on the disc) is pretty broken, dunno if you're using that, but one of the weapons (7, maybe?) is absolutely broken. Soaks bullets and fires insanely fast.

Peltz

Is the DSiXL region free? I'd like to import that Tingle game from Europe. Will it run on my North American system?

I know the OG DS was region free. But I forgot whether or not that applied to the DSi series of hardware.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Is the DSiXL region free? I'd like to import that Tingle game from Europe. Will it run on my North American system?

I know the OG DS was region free. But I forgot whether or not that applied to the DSi series of hardware.

Yeah, but DSi software is region locked. Normal ds games are fine -- I played plenty of Umihara Kawase on mine.

BTails

Anything 2d/Sprite based on the DSiXL looks amazing. Big, beautiful pixels. Great handheld, that is sadly forgotten about most of the time.

IrishNinja

same!
master system - sold all my sega stuff when i fell on hard times in the early aughts; replaced it with an ebay one & proper board like just this year
genesis - had an s-vid modded one, traded something with televators for a non-TMSS unit
sega-CD - craigslist haul for a model 1 with a few games & 2 six button sticks for $40 back in like 2013
32X - free on ebay cause dude said it wasn't working
saturn - found a modded model 2 on craiglist in california years ago & have treasured it since

NES - never had one, i was helping a friend move in like 2004 and we found a boxed one in his closet at his grandma's. he left me keep it for helping him.
SNES - traded my dead near-launch unit at a CD trader spot in like '03 for the promo disc you got for preordering wind waker (kinda felt bad)
the one i have now, my old roommate won it from the Super Mario show or something? her brother tried to jack it but it's mine now
N64 - man i think another old roommate jacked my launch unit, i got an RGB one a while back
GC - still have my day 1 pimp-ass grimace colored one

i've gone through at least 3 PSX's and 2 PS2's, so yeah, i love my systems but i didn't really have any of these guys in the 90s

Congrats!!! Also. This makes me happy knowing others are in their 40s

i'm like, right behind y'all - ol' atari-ass playing generation

Most of my stuff was lost either during a move or because my brother took it to buy drugs. The only retro things I am certain made it to college with me were my Shining games, my GameCube that wasn't at the time retro and an N64 I later threw away because it was caked in cat puke.

Not sure what happened to my NES and Genesis (I tried but I can't find them, I think they're buried in my parent's attic somwhere so that'll be a nice time capsule).

My GB Pocket, Color, and Advance are all in terrible condition, so I left them in a box at my folk's place the last time I saw them (took the games).

Original PSOne broke and I threw it out (in retrospect it was probably a fuse...), I broke my original PS2 a few years ago when I tried to install a modbo. (RIP, btw don't try to install a modbo, tore out vias connected to the bios chip)

Original PSP thrown out due to fucked up analog, original 360 traded for another one that ended up red ringing, original DS Lite has messed up screens.

I'm pretty sure the oldest original system I still have in good condition is my Wii from early 2010 lol

Edit: Oh wait my platinum GameCube and crystal Xbox from 2006 are still in good shape

2SeeKU

Towards the end of the year l'm heading over to America for a holiday. I was wondering what were the places l should go to pick up Saturn/N64 games ect. Is there anything like BookOFF in Japan?

I'll be in Los Angeles, Washington DC and New York.

Thanks guys.

D.Lo

I need the dock, only way to charge and do TV out at once. But the only ones I ever saw were on ebay in the US with ridiculous global shipping program postage cost.

I need the dock, only way to charge and do TV out at once. But the only ones I ever saw were on ebay in the US with ridiculous global shipping program postage cost.

Just took a look at prices. Jesus, I thought I was paying way too much when I got mine on Amazon.com (shipped internationally) a few months ago new-old-stock for a $60. At least the shipping was reasonable.

v1perz53

Huh, trying to get a replacement SCART cable for my Genesis model 2 is proving to be a bit difficult. Of the two recommended by RetroRGB, the one on Retro Game Cables is out of stock, and the US seller they link to on eBay is selling the cable for $1,000 or something. Assuming I'm supposed to make a counter offer that isn't ludicrous, but what a weird business model, can't say I've ever experienced that on eBay before. And the seller mentions something about "read my FAQ regarding making an offer" but there is no FAQ to be found hah. Never had so much trouble just trying to buy a thing before!

Yes Boss!

Jesus David,

I have like all those pieces (including the dock) and have from day one been a massive proponent of the Go (while it was constantly dumped on). Good to see it is finally appreciated.

Can't wait till I get mine outta storage and make a Go setup.

D.Lo

PSP Go is the best hardware Sony has ever produced. I might even say only really good hardware Sony has ever produced. Other PSPs were okay if hacked/not using discs I guess too, but the Go was all that in the size of an iPhone.

I've heard some say Vita as well but that's the only one I've never had.

There are so many things to dislike about the PSP go but it's really nice as a home-console / portable hybrid.

I still need to pick up a PSP 3000, I might try to get my hands on a good condition Monster Hunter special edition unit.

dubc35

...the US seller they link to on eBay is selling the cable for $1,000 or something...
From the retro av thread:
Retro Console Accessories used to previously take down their listings whenever they filled the daily quota

Now it looks like they jack up the prices to keep the listing up, which is fine by me since I won't have to constantly update my ebay watch list whenever their scart cables go back up the next day

v1perz53

From the retro av thread:

Ahh, thanks that makes a lot more sense. I guess that means I should just check back daily to see if they are available for normal price. Weird to me that Genesis 2 SCART cables would be in enough demand as to have a daily limit even now, but who knows.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Ahh, thanks that makes a lot more sense. I guess that means I should just check back daily to see if they are available for normal price. Weird to me that Genesis 2 SCART cables would be in enough demand as to have a daily limit even now, but who knows.

With Retrogamingcables, I know that they just put up the listing for the Genesis packapunch cable a few weeks ago... so if that's the one you're looking for, it might just be that they haven't actually made that many... or any yet.

v1perz53

With Retrogamingcables, I know that they just put up the listing for the Genesis packapunch cable a few weeks ago... so if that's the one you're looking for, it might just be that they haven't actually made that many... or any yet.

They don't have the packapunch or the regular Genesis 2 SCART cables in stock right now. And they have a message on the Genesis 1 SCART cables saying they will be in stock July 1st, so I'm assuming that means the Genesis 2 cables (both regular and packapunch) won't be available until well after that, since there is no similar message for those.

Top Bottom