• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

there are some extremely rare software incompatibilities, but otherwise you're good to go.

(for specifics, the original printing of the JP standalone Outrun and Space Harrier ports won't work on model 2s. YMMV tho, mine work fine on my Model 2 Saturn, so I didn't even know about this issue until later. mine must be a subsequent print run.)

thanks!

TeaJay

Except Castlevania.

I love the Saturn but this is (unfortunately) true.

I also will add Mega Man X4 and 8 to that list simply because I feel like the PS1 pad works better playing Mega Man as the Saturn one.

Adding that I also watched that MLiG Saturn episode and now I irrationally want that skeleton Saturn.

I also will add Mega Man X4 and 8 to that list simply because I feel like the PS1 pad works better playing Mega Man as the Saturn one.

Adding that I also watched that MLiG Saturn episode and now I irrationally want that skeleton Saturn.

I just started playing Mega Man X4 coming off X2 and X3 on SNES, and while I think the Saturn pad is possibly one of the greatest controllers from that gen, it is not suited for Mega Man. It's nigh impossible to instaboost wall jump while charging the buster for me. The SNES button atrangement is just better for that game.

you say that as soon as i burned Castlevania and now In The Hunt

I have Salamander for like everything so screw that game and gradius

I actually really like Salamander 2, which is part of the Deluxe pack on Saturn, and would recommend the whole package just for that one game. As for Castlevania Nocturne in the Moonlight, it's still very playable and actually has more content than the PS version, it's just not nearly as pretty, which is a damn shame since the Saturn is a 2D beast. Also, the load times are a bit longer, I think.

and Salamander

and In The Hunt

I still haven't played In The Hunt. Guessing I should go PlayStation on that one, huh?

Ehhh, I find the graphical differences negligible in TATE mode, but you are still correct, though I don't hear the difference in sound, either.

D.Lo

It has a VASTLY superior Maria mode to the piece of shit PSP version. Igarashi is pathetic.

Japanese PS1 version is the best. I'm never playing it again anyway though, it's a nice looking and sounding poorly designed game.

Laws00

Everyone says burnt games can wear out your cd drive and laser. blah blah

I have never thought of this happening to my system until now. I just burnt Christmas Night and I have never heard my system try to read something that hard.

It just sounded bad. I think im just going to destroy that cd so it can never hurt my sega saturn again

Except Castlevania.

PSX Castlevania performs better but Saturn Castlevania has more content. Anyway, I would kill for a real Saturn Castlevania. Igavania is overrated. I still backed and am looking forward to Bloodstained but it's nowhere near real Castlevania.

Strong disagreement with 8 but I could see X4. Once you get used to not using a SNES style controller and maybe with some tweaking to the default control scheme it's not that bad.

and Salamander

and In The Hunt

I've only played old school Salamander and have never played In the Hunt so I have no opinion on this one.

Laws00

It has a VASTLY superior Maria mode to the piece of shit PSP version. Igarashi is pathetic.

Japanese PS1 version is the best. I'm never playing it again anyway though, it's a nice looking and sounding poorly designed game.

never realized how much slow down that game had. ugh

I have never thought of this happening to my system until now. I just burnt Christmas Night and I have never heard my system try to read something that hard.

It just sounded bad. I think im just going to destroy that cd so it can never hurt my sega saturn again

What brand of CDRs are you using? Though I've gotten away with cheaper CDRs, I tend to stick with the JVC/Taiyo Yuden discs which are much closer to the quality of the actual discs. My Saturn is pretty quiet, regardless, though.

Wish I could say the same for my Dreamcasts.

Laws00

What brand of CDRs are you using? Though I've gotten away with cheaper CDRs, I tend to stick with the JVC/Taiyo Yuden discs which are much closer to the quality of the actual discs. My Saturn is pretty quiet, regardless, though.

Wish I could say the same for my Dreamcasts.

memorex

i should have mentioned that the game had a few errors while burning it.....lol

First time thats every happened to me. as in making strange noises while reading the disc

IrishNinja

Zwei isn't too bad if u go for the import

cool insert too I wanna say

(for specifics, the original printing of the JP standalone Outrun and Space Harrier ports won't work on model 2s. YMMV tho, mine work fine on my Model 2 Saturn, so I didn't even know about this issue until later. mine must be a subsequent print run.)

ahh those are on my list & I've a model 2, good to know!

Everything is best on the Saturn.

yes

Except Castlevania.

was playing again recently...boy howdy, it's fine if you never ever need the map

I haven't watched the MLIG episode yet, but I have a skeleton Saturn. I thought it was common knowledge that it's tha coolest

yes

and Salamander

hush

burn slow & use good media folks!

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I only have two games for Saturn: Panzer Dragoon and NiGHTS Into Dreams.

I had a decent sized list of games I wanted for it, but I think I need to let these ones go at this point due to price:

Panzer Dragoon Zweii
Panzer Dragoon Saga
Guardian Heroes
Virtual On (with the controller)
Radient Silvergun
House of the Dead

I'll still likely grab a few others that are still cheap though.

Glad to say i own all those except HotD and Virtual On!

i've been messing with my psp go.

there's something stupid...

i was downloading ps1 PSN games to my ps3, then transferring them to the psp go by usb cable since the psp storefront no longer has games. one ps1 classic in particular, an important title, i couldn't install on my psp go from the ps3. Suikoden II. that game is like 100 bucks so buying a hardcopy is out of reach at the moment. but i own it on psn.

no go... i read it won't let me transfer it to my psp go but it will only play on the ps3/ vita.

i found a workaround. i installed the latest firmware to the psp go signed in to PSN account on the psp go and was able to download and install Suikoden II on the psp go directly from my purchase download list located in the psn store. though the psn store you can't buy games, you can still sign in and look at the download list located in the store front page of purchases and download psp and ps1 games from there.

i was able to find Suikoden II and install it on the go!. been playing it this afternoon.

kinda dumb but at least i got it working.

i was watching on "My Life in Gaming" and they stated not all ps1 classics work on the pspgo but i believe this is a good work around for those titles that sony crippled

D.Lo

i've been messing with my psp go.

there's something stupid...

i was downloading ps1 PSN games to my ps3, then transferring them to the psp go by usb cable since the psp storefront no longer has games. one ps1 classic in particular, an important title, i couldn't install on my psp go from the ps3. Suikoden II. that game is like 100 bucks so buying a hardcopy is out of reach at the moment. but i own it on psn.

no go... i read it won't let me transfer it to my psp go but it will only play on the ps3/ vita.

i found a workaround. i installed the latest firmware to the psp go signed in to PSN account on the psp go and was able to download and install Suikoden II on the psp go directly from my purchase download list located in the psn store. though the psn store you can't buy games, you can still sign in and look at the download list located in the store front page of purchases and download psp and ps1 games from there.

i was able to find Suikoden II and install it on the go!. been playing it this afternoon.

kinda dumb but at least i got it working.

i was watching on "My Life in Gaming" and they stated not all ps1 classics work on the pspgo but i believe this is a good work around for those titles that sony crippled
If that didn't work, you can hack it and put on any games you want. I'm very much against piracy, but you can actually even rip that PSN version on a hacked PS3 and put it on the hacked go. I've done that kind of thing in the past, resorted to hacked firmware to use digital games I already own.

If that didn't work, you can hack it and put on any games you want. I'm very much against piracy, but you can actually even rip that PSN version on a hacked PS3 and put it on the hacked go. I've done that kind of thing in the past, resorted to hacked firmware to use digital games I already own.

thanks! i installed 6.61 Infinity Permanent CFW PRO this afternoon upgraded from 6.60, i've been dabbling with it and so far like the Category Lite plug-in to organize my games and apps into folders. and been testing out a few snes and genesis games.

i need to start backing up my ps1 library and putting it on the go.

TeaJay

memorex

i should have mentioned that the game had a few errors while burning it.....lol

First time thats every happened to me. as in making strange noises while reading the disc

As others have said use quality discs and burn slower. I use Taiyo Yuden and I never had problems. I also used TDK a while back and they were fine too. For Saturn and PS1 I've usually burnt with 8x and PCE sometimes 4x and sometimes 8x.

re: Mega Man series: I usually map the dash to a shoulder button (R) but it still feels hard for me on the Saturn pad. Thing is, due to how buttons are laid out on the Sega controllers, I tend to push the buttons with my index, middle and ring finger instead of my thumb like on NES/SNES/PCE games.

I haven't noticed anything wrong with Saturn's Salamander deluxe pack port though. Looks like I gotta try the PS1 version.

e: And now I got stuck at playing Salamander 2. My morning had a schedule, you know.

Although I gotta say I didn't notice major differences between the PS1 and Saturn versions.

Laws00

As others have said use quality discs and burn slower. I use Taiyo Yuden and I never had problems. I also used TDK a while back and they were fine too. For Saturn and PS1 I've usually burnt with 8x and PCE sometimes 4x and sometimes 8x.

re: Mega Man series: I usually map the dash to a shoulder button (R) but it still feels hard for me on the Saturn pad. Thing is, due to how buttons are laid out on the Sega controllers, I tend to push the buttons with my index, middle and ring finger instead of my thumb like on NES/SNES/PCE games.

I haven't noticed anything wrong with Saturn's Salamander deluxe pack port though. Looks like I gotta try the PS1 version.

e: And now I got stuck at playing Salamander 2. My morning had a schedule, you know.

Although I gotta say I didn't notice major differences between the PS1 and Saturn versions.

I hear ya. X4 always

Memorex has severed me well all these years

I've burned dreamcast games, ps1 games, and pc engine cd games and have had errors before but usually when that happens they don't play.

This particular instance was a rare case for me that the disc happened to work and it was struggling to read.

Anybody who's played games and or burned games at one point has listened to the sound their console makes when reading disc and that was a sound I've never heard a Saturn make.

Fularu

Banned
I feel bad reading this thread... My copies of SF3 SC1 (PAL), PDZ (US, still sealed) and PDS (PAL) remain untouched...

I should probably look into unloading them at some point

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I feel bad reading this thread... My copies of SF3 SC1 (PAL), PDZ (US, still sealed) and PDS (PAL) remain untouched...

I should probably look into unloading them at some point
I'll give you $20 each or $50 for the whole bundle.

Fularu

Banned
$20 + inflation

eeehhhhhhh

I should look into whether those things work with the PC-98. That would solve all of my problems.
Hey now, I just edited that :p

The Gotek drives have firmwares for a ton of classic computers (ST, Amiga, CPC, PC and even midi instruments)

Even if the firmware doesn't exist (which I doubt, unless the PC-98 uses a very special kind of disc format) it shouldn't be too hard to have a working firmware with some tweaking

been playing a lot of Zanac Neo on my psp go and it's been a blast.

much harder than NES Zanac due to the majority of weapons not being able to block bullets. (except for temp boosts and shield based weapons) it's so fun.

i've been using hammer duke and switching between weapons numbers 6 and 1 .

Timu

Just beat Samurai Shodown 3 for the 1st time ever today...and it was on Level 8. I somehow managed to beat the final boss without losing to him at all which was surprising. He does a lot of damage so I got lucky I guess, lol.

Let me just say that this is my least fave game in the franchise for main games at least. The difficulty is just ridiculous even compared to the 1st 2 games as it's harder than them, it's buggy, collision detection needs work, didn't like how it lacked Charlotte and Jubei, and I wasn't a fan of some of the changes like how they changed throws and such. It's a decent game and worth playing, but I definitely prefer 1, 2 and 4 over this any day.

Now I need to play and beat Samurai Shodown 5 Special and 6 someday.

Rirse

Neo Member
So on the Gameboy Interface for the Gameboy Player, how do I use the augments for the Low Latency mode? I thought they would show up in the Swiss menu, but all I see is the option to set 240P and some minor features.

been playing a lot of Zanac Neo on my psp go and it's been a blast.

much harder than NES Zanac due to the majority of weapons not being able to block bullets. (except for temp boosts and shield based weapons) it's so fun.

i've been using hammer duke and switching between weapons numbers 6 and 1 .
That's one of my favourite ship/weapon combos. the slower movement of the hammer duke can be annoying for making use of the iframes from power ups but for dodging bullets it's nice, and the weapon selection is sweet.

Top Bottom