• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

Glowsquid

Can I be a contrarian and say PS2?

I'm aware of that one but I don't have an easy way of playing imports on a PS2 :s

wait if we're talking that DC Smash Pack disc...it's fun, but technically speaking it's a mess

Yah, it was a stand-alone release in Japan.

I kind of like some of the overhaul graphics in the DC version (but Saturn looks better in some respects). Mostly I'm curious if it has gameplay or technical issues that aren't apparent on video.

IrishNinja

yeah, my PS2 died but i have HDD loader & the old fliptop case for disc swapping too, did that for years - i hear mcboot's easier but when i do get a working PS2 again, i'm going right back to playing off the drive - the loading time saved in stuff like suikoden 5 was really great

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Honestly never had any issues with FreeMcBoot even tried booting a game from USB which was really slow but I wanted to see if it would work. lol

so what is everyone playing this labor day weekend?

I just got engaged 2 months ago and we are spending most of the weekend having meetings at possible wedding venues..... : / Ideally I'd like to find the time to finally finish Ys VII before VIII comes out. I'm like 3/4 of the way through it so it should be possible to finish it next weekend.

BTails

Free McBoot is amazing. My launch NA PS2 does NOT like reading discs anymore, but with the Network Adapter and an SD adapter, I can now run straight from an SD card, which is amazing.

As for Labour Day weekend, I hadn't given it much thought! It's hard to get a ton of gaming in with a 1-year old at home, but I may try to get something in. I've been meaning to play Lagrange Point now that there's a sound mapper for the Everdrive... I've also been craving a good beat em up, so maybe some Streets of Rage or something.

JDH

Ordering for GDEMU is open at the moment! Probably won't last long. I was finally able to order one just now.

Edit: closed again.

God damn, I signed up for their newsletter like 3 times and never get any notifications. Where do you guys get your info?!

edit: Maybe I'm thinking of PSIO. Anyways, questions still stands. I'm never in the loop :(

What up bitches.

also: does anyone know if my dude Laevateinn caught a perm? hoping not, miss that guy

Nah man. It was just a week. I've never been banned before and hopefully the last time.

Ordering for GDEMU is open at the moment! Probably won't last long. I was finally able to order one just now.

Edit: closed again.

Thank god when the FM Towns Marty version comes out nobody will be competing with me.

Laws00

i never looked into the mcboot thing for my ps2s

i can play us and jp games via region consoles just no back ups.

i should look into that, as well ass modding my xbox original and gamecube then i wont have to worry about games.......lol

Vespa

It's a little more involved than just getting a McBoot memory card to play your original import discs as far as I know.You can use the SwapMagic program that should come with freemcboot but that requires you to mod the console a little (Stick down the tray sensor/flip top case install on the slim, on the fat ps2 you need to pull out the DVD tray with a key). The second method is to copy the import disc to an HDD/SD reader via a PC which would can then be loaded via HD loader and programs like it (requires an HDD/Network adapter) or third, copy the game, patch it and then burn it which could then be launched via ESR. Has an easier method come along?

Now that Yakuza 2 is being remade, I'm glad I don't even have to think about using a PS2 again. My experience with FreeMcBoot was that it was too annoying to be worth it. I'm pretty sure my external drive I got for it stopped working shortly afterwards too.

External drives are bad on PS2 because the USB there is only 1.1 so it's super slow. Internal is much better and burned backups are usually perfect.

Shaanyboi

Banned
What's a good, cheap way to play GCN on an HDTV? I only have composite cables, but I wonder if there's going to be a lag problem on the system. Would it be a better idea to get component cables, or better to play on a Wii?

Wanting to set up Paper Mario TTYD for my gf

What's a good, cheap way to play GCN on an HDTV? I only have composite cables, but I wonder if there's going to be a lag problem on the system. Would it be a better idea to get component cables, or better to play on a Wii?

Wanting to set up Paper Mario TTYD for my gf

Play on a Wii with component unless you want to use Gameboy Player.

Jinto

It's what I use. I only have a 64gb SD card, but it's super easy to add/remove games since you just have to remove the SD card and put it into your computer.

I was planning on purchasing an IDE drive, but this method seems easier to transfer games. Do you mind if I ask which SD card adapter you're using?

Timu

It's what I use. I only have a 64gb SD card, but it's super easy to add/remove games since you just have to remove the SD card and put it into your computer.
How does this work? Like playing PS2 games off a SD card, how does that work?

I was planning on purchasing an IDE drive, but this method seems easier to transfer games. Do you mind if I ask which SD card adapter you're using?

You can also get a mod board to replace the IDE adapter in your Network adapter, so that it supports SATA. It lets you plug it into any modern computer to load games or rip games onto it and still use it in your PS2.

I went that route for the space, 1 terabyte SATA HDDs are cheap, and in ripping my entire PS2 collection I ended up using I think around 600 gigs of that.

How does this work? Like playing PS2 games off a SD card, how does that work?

It's an adapter board that connects to the IDE port of the Network adapter. It allows you to put in SD card in it, and I think load them off HDLoader on FreeMcBoot. IMHO though per gig prices are way better with a Physical hard drive than an SD Card.

Timu

It's an adapter board that connects to the IDE port of the Network adapter. It allows you to put in SD card in it, and I think load them off HDLoader on FreeMcBoot. IMHO though per gig prices are way better with a Physical hard drive than an SD Card.
Which adapter? Though that sounds cool regardless.

Rirse

Neo Member
I got my fat PS2 running with a IDE and that method does work great. Is there a decent way to play PS1 games doing this?

I got another billy from Ikea since things were getting cramped. I'm not sure exactly how it's going to work yet but right now I have it packed with big things.

XRYjOqh.png

Jinto

You can also get a mod board to replace the IDE adapter in your Network adapter, so that it supports SATA. It lets you plug it into any modern computer to load games or rip games onto it and still use it in your PS2.

I went that route for the space, 1 terabyte SATA HDDs are cheap, and in ripping my entire PS2 collection I ended up using I think around 600 gigs of that.

Awesome. Thanks for the info.

I looked into it further and I can purchase one of these, plus a SATA HDD, for the same price as an IDE one. Also, I'll get 4X the memory.

Not sure about the quality of the adapter, but it looks like the only thing I'll be missing is the network functions.

IrishNinja

Now that Yakuza 2 is being remade, I'm glad I don't even have to think about using a PS2 again. My experience with FreeMcBoot was that it was too annoying to be worth it. I'm pretty sure my external drive I got for it stopped working shortly afterwards too.

ill be going through PS2 games for a while to come, but i can appreciate wanting to put it aside for a bit..especially since mine's dead -_-'

also welcome back fam

External drives are bad on PS2 because the USB there is only 1.1 so it's super slow. Internal is much better and burned backups are usually perfect.

yeah, i use an internal with the network thing attached, works great

SD Card PS2 is easily the way to go imo.

...didn't even know this was an option! i gotta look into that

Play on a Wii with component unless you want to use Gameboy Player.

absolutely great advice - i love my purple lunchbox & the GBA player but if i didn't have component cables from years ago idve retired it already

I got another billy from Ikea since things were getting cramped. I'm not sure exactly how it's going to work yet but right now I have it packed with big things.

i'm up to 4 of those for games & i could still use another (have 2 in the room for books, one is dedicated to gaming books & magazines haha). they just work so well for me - also that stick on the lower shelves looks nice!

Cool, thanks. Any recommendations on cable brands?

in my experience, brands matter more for other systems...like ive had/seen a few wii ones and maybe i was lucky, but they were solid. ive seen some absolute butt quality PS2 ones, and to this day, my roommate's weird xbox/PS2 one (its like translucent) is one of the higher quality signals ive seen for component

Top Bottom