• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

BTails

Such multi-purpose use, that Mega Drive. It also doesn't have a drive of any sort. Sega posting flat out engrish lies on their consoles tsk tsk... lol

What, you mean my Genesis doesn't display in "High Definition"?!?

EDIT: Caught shit-posting at the start of a new page. So... what's everyone's favourite retro "point and click" on consoles? I'm partial to the Kemco ports of the MacVentures (Shadowgate, Deja Vu, and Uninvited). Thinking about playing through Uninvited for the first time in over a decade this October.

BTails

Is your mom point and click?

That's a puzzle your dumb ass could never solve.

There's a joke here about calling the hint line, and phone sex, and your mom... But I can't put the pieces together.

For hidden Point and Click gems, did anyone ever play that Scooby Doo game on Genesis that basically tried it's hardest to be a Lucasarts game? I've seen screenshots of it that look exactly like Day of the Tentacle... I wonder if it's any good.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
There's a joke here about calling the hint line, and phone sex, and your mom... But I can't put the pieces together.

For hidden Point and Click gems, did anyone ever play that Scooby Doo game on Genesis that basically tried it's hardest to be a Lucasarts game? I've seen screenshots of it that look exactly like Day of the Tentacle... I wonder if it's any good.

I'm leaving myself vulnerable so someone can continue this buffoonery. I'm a little disappointed you couldn't suss anything out.

Timu

I read that it's decent.

I enjoyed it but it's one of those titles that probably wouldn't be fun multiple times. The UI is also painful. I'd love a modern Scooby game like this.

Joe Molotov

EDIT: Caught shit-posting at the start of a new page. So... what's everyone's favourite retro "point and click" on consoles? I'm partial to the Kemco ports of the MacVentures (Shadowgate, Deja Vu, and Uninvited). Thinking about playing through Uninvited for the first time in over a decade this October.

Maniac Mansion on the NES was my first point and click adventure, and it made me a fan of the genre.

What, you mean my Genesis doesn't display in "High Definition"?!?

Definitely going with Clock Tower on PSX. Love that game!

Saroyan

So I have a question and I'm hoping some folks in this thread can help me out.

I've decided that I want to buy an X68000 but I'm not sure where to start.
They seem to never be listed on eBay but I see some for sale on Yahoo Auctions in Japan but I've never used that site before and I know I would need to use a forwarding service to buy from there. I've never used a forwarding service before either so any experiences or recommendations about that would be great to hear too.

I'm also trying to do research about what I should be looking for hardware wise, like which model should I get? Does anyone know of a good website with detailed info on these things in English?

I know the power supplies can be problematic, but I'm handy with a soldering iron so I'm confident I could do a cap replacement on that if needed.

D.Lo

They seem to never be listed on eBay but I see some for sale on Yahoo Auctions in Japan but I've never used that site before and I know I would need to use a forwarding service to buy from there. I've never used a forwarding service before either so any experiences or recommendations about that would be great to hear too.
The official forwarder, Buyee is quite good, but expensive for shipping for larger items. But then so is everyone.

I'm also trying to do research about what I should be looking for hardware wise, like which model should I get? Does anyone know of a good website with detailed info on these things in English?

I know the power supplies can be problematic, but I'm handy with a soldering iron so I'm confident I could do a cap replacement on that if needed.

I got mine through Yahoo Auctions->Buyee. Expect to pay a couple hundred extra for shipping. This applies to software as well. When I buy software, I tend to spend an additional $80-$100 just for shipping.

The best version to get is an XVI. It supports switching between 10 MHz and the extremely fast 16 MHz. If possible, get a RAM upgrade module. You will need one if you want to load things from an SD Card (which you definitely do want). Similarly, try to get one that comes with a SCSI cable. The SCSI cable used in the X68000 is not standard so you'll have a rough time getting it working if it didn't come with one.

Try to get a monitor if possible. You can use it with 640x480 but ideally you would have a trisync monitor that supports 15 KHz, 24 KHz and 31 KHz. Without it, you'll need a list of commands to enter to load a lot of games and others might not be supported at all. I think an XPC-4 will solve this problem if you want to just use a modern display.

Make absolutely sure that you get a keyboard. It is a PC after all.

nfggames.com and gamesx.com are the sites I tend to visit when I need information. At this point, I'm probably an expert too.

Also, don't get into it if you are concerned about money. It's a sink.

Finally, don't buy anything I'm trying to get. I hate that.

I have no personal experience with the x68k but I do believe the ossc supports it!

Does OSSC support 24 KHz?

The biggest problem with late 80s/early 90s Japanese PCs is the AV cable they used. It's difficult to find adapters.
http://www.gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id=av:japanese_rgb-15

Also, since we're talking X68000, I'd like to share a picture of these sexy beasts.

09rrxDJl.jpg

Saroyan

I got mine through Yahoo Auctions->Buyee. Expect to pay a couple hundred extra for shipping. This applies to software as well. When I buy software, I tend to spend an additional $80-$100 just for shipping.

The best version to get is an XVI. It supports switching between 10 MHz and the extremely fast 16 MHz. If possible, get a RAM upgrade module. You will need one if you want to load things from an SD Card (which you definitely do want). Similarly, try to get one that comes with a SCSI cable. The SCSI cable used in the X68000 is not standard so you'll have a rough time getting it working if it didn't come with one.

Try to get a monitor if possible. You can use it with 640x480 but ideally you would have a trisync monitor that supports 15 KHz, 24 KHz and 31 KHz. Without it, you'll need a list of commands to enter to load a lot of games and others might not be supported at all. I think an XPC-4 will solve this problem if you want to just use a modern display.

Make absolutely sure that you get a keyboard. It is a PC after all.

nfggames.com and gamesx.com are the sites I tend to visit when I need information. At this point, I'm probably an expert too.

Also, don't get into it if you are concerned about money. It's a sink.

Finally, don't buy anything I'm trying to get. I hate that.

Thanks for the info, one of the things I wasn't sure about was the video output. I was hoping I could use a vga monitor or my BVM so I'll need to research that more. I'm sure shipping a crt from Japan is expensive. It looks like it outputs rgbhv with a 5v detection signal on a unique plug.

Also I still know very little about these machines yet but what is the SCSI cable used for?

Thanks for the info, one of the things I wasn't sure about was the video output. I was hoping I could use a vga monitor or my BVM so I'll need to research that more. I'm sure shipping a crt from Japan is expensive. It looks like it outputs rgbhv with a 5v detection signal on a unique plug.

Also I still know very little about these machines yet but what is the SCSI cable used for?

I have a 13-inch monitor that I use specifically for Japanese PCs. I know it's possible to use another device but it's not something I have looked heavily into. It will definitely be more difficult to connect to a BVM/PVM since the way sync is done is different. I don't think going JP-15 to VGA is as difficult since the signals should be pretty similar but I haven't looked into it a lot. I will probably ask the guys at BEEP! when I go back to Japan in January though since this will be a huge priority for me next year.

The SCSI cable would be used for a hard drive. You can get a SCSI->SD Card adapter and then you can install a launcher and software so you can really take advantage of it. I love 5-1/4 inch floppies but sometimes I don't feel like using them.

Saroyan

I have a 13-inch monitor that I use specifically for Japanese PCs. I know it's possible to use another device but it's not something I have looked heavily into. It will definitely be more difficult to connect to a BVM/PVM since the way sync is done is different. I don't think going JP-15 to VGA is as difficult since the signals should be pretty similar but I haven't looked into it a lot. I will probably ask the guys at BEEP! when I go back to Japan in January though since this will be a huge priority for me next year.

The SCSI cable would be used for a hard drive. You can get a SCSI->SD Card adapter and then you can install a launcher and software so you can really take advantage of it. I love 5-1/4 inch floppies but sometimes I don't feel like using them.

Thanks again, I have some reading to do.

I do have an Extron RGB 203 Rxi that can convert RGBHV to RGBs but I don't know if that would work for this or not.

Thanks again, I have some reading to do.

I do have an Extron RGB 203 Rxi that can convert RGBHV to RGBs but I don't know if that would work for this or not.

Another concern with X68000 and displays not designed for it is resolution switching speed. I guess the XRGB3/Framemeister doesn't handle the resolution switching well which is another reason the XPC-4 is recommended. Most X68000 games have frequent resolution changes which can cause issues.

By the way, here's the X68000 section (plus a few extras) of my collection. You have my permission to get anything you see here.

Another concern with X68000 and displays not designed for it is resolution switching speed. I guess the XRGB3/Framemeister doesn't handle the resolution switching well which is another reason the XPC-4 is recommended. Most X68000 games have frequent resolution changes which can cause issues.

By the way, here's the X68000 section (plus a few extras) of my collection. You have my permission to get anything you see here.

Cool collection, those games display nice! Looks like a book collection.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I didn't bother finishing watching the E3 trailer for Odyssey. I realized immediately that this was a thing I really, really want, and there's no sense in taking away from the surprise. I can't wait -- what little I saw of the game just looks so fucking good. And being at Nintendo's booth at E3 had me more than adequately hyped.

I didn't bother finishing watching the E3 trailer for Odyssey. I realized immediately that this was a thing I really, really want, and there's no sense in taking away from the surprise. I can't wait -- what little I saw of the game just looks so fucking good. And being at Nintendo's booth at E3 had me more than adequately hyped.

There so much wacky shit going on in every trailer that I don't want to see anymore either. I want to discover all the zaney shit myself!

Amazon marked my copy of Metroid as "Your package was delivered. It was handed directly to a resident." even though it was not left with us or the person downstairs who sometimes gets our packages so I guess I can't play that this weekend. I can't believe I'm missing UPS. That's how bad Amazon's delivery service is.

Top Bottom