• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

Not a fan of the way Octopath looks. I wish things would just look like flat, 2D, hand-drawn sprites with a consistent well thought out art design. Games today are all tech and no style. I don't care how many pixels you're pushing or what your post-processing pipeline looks like. If you're making a game today, 90% of the time your game looks like shit. Modern gaming fans, just like all fans of pop culture have terrible taste.

Edit: tldr; your favorite musician, tv show, movie, band, and waifu are shit.

Re: Secret of Mana, if they took out the voice acting altogether, changed the dumb SNES-view mini-map to one that showed the whole town map or area map (the SNES thing barely shows any more space so it's not exactly useful), and increased the framerate at least on the non-Vita versions this wouldn't be so bad.

Re: Secret of Mana, if they took out the voice acting altogether, changed the dumb SNES-view mini-map to one that showed the whole town map or area map (the SNES thing barely shows any more space so it's not exactly useful), and increased the framerate at least on the non-Vita versions this wouldn't be so bad.

It's coming to steam, right? Maybe PC modders will do some of these quality of life improvements.

KC-Slater

Do you have a rough list of what you're planning to sell and would you be interested in shipping any of it to Ottawa?

I definitely can't go down to Guelph but buying that stuff internationally is annoying and even finding MD stuff in person Japan can be hard.

Yes, I'd ship to Ottawa. (I feel your struggle! lol.) Not sure of the rules for this thread, but I'll PM you a list, and can send some pics tonight.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Cool - that crazy girl who was kinda cute that I mentioned like a week ago? Definitely crazy. Like, the unstable, goes to a therapist once a week kind of crazy. Head for the hills! She was pretty cute, but as much as I like the idea of taking advantage of an emotionally unstable girl, something tells me this is not an impulse I should act upon.

Unless she's into Neo Geo?

Don't know about you but I'd take the kind of person aware of their problems and taking care of it over someone that's crazy & denying it & trying to paper over it with a thin veneer of normalcy. Like, you know, most people in the world.

Danny Dudekisser

Don't know about you but I'd take the kind of person aware of their problems and taking care of it over someone that's crazy & denying it & trying to paper over it with a thin veneer of normalcy. Like, you know, most people in the world.

Self-harm is where I draw the line. I am not getting caught up in that shit.

Peltz

That's a lot of "if's"

Cool - that crazy girl who was kinda cute that I mentioned like a week ago? Definitely crazy. Like, the unstable, goes to a therapist once a week kind of crazy. Head for the hills! She was pretty cute, but as much as I like the idea of taking advantage of an emotionally unstable girl, something tells me this is not an impulse I should act upon.

What are you, fucking Tom Leykis?

KC-Slater

If I'm understanding this correctly, you unsolicitedly post about an alleged "crazy girl" on a retro gaming forum, and you're the one that dodged the bullet?

BTails

I have a good buddy of mine who is always interested in the unstable ladies. He works in special needs education, so I think he's just interested in trying to help people, but even though he's good at his job, those relationships NEVER end well.

And to keep this on topic, that friend is also a huge Retro gamer. Back when we lived in the same city, we used to rip through SNES and Genesis co-op games like there was no tomorrow. Some of our favourites included Sunset Riders, Contra, Gunstar Heroes, Turtles in Time...

If I'm understanding this correctly, you unsolicitedly post about an alleged "crazy girl" on a retro gaming forum, and you're the one that dodged the bullet?

I can tell from chac's posting history that he is completely stable and doesn't have a drinking problem!

I would let him date my sister if he wanted.

KC-Slater

I can tell from chac's posting history that he is completely stable and doesn't have a drinking problem!

I would let him date my sister if he wanted.

Meanwhile, there is a young-lady posting about the misogynistic dude who is lacking self-awareness and won't stop hitting on her, on an internet forum relating to her interests.

IrishNinja

nobody's into neo geo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DowyMiW6Dgw&feature=youtu.be

Those voices... that framerate....

tenor.gif

goddammit, i was super interested in this one too

Mother of god that's terrible. Good thing I never liked Secret of Mana to begin with.

even if u hate the game at least the soundtrack bangs

put that on the box

^this
it was noteworthy for its OST, the ability to play 2 player, and being released during the years of extreme RPG drought. plot is whatever, characters barely even speak, magic system is far from my favorite, but...hey! it was better than breath of fire!

I don't want this awful remake. Give me the Switch collection plz

+1

i need Shining forces

+1+1

Crazy, emotionally unstable... sounds like someone who's into Neo Geo to me.

Danny Dudekisser

Real talk, though, the whole thing's kinda shitty. Like, she's a nice girl, interesting enough, a little weird in an endearing way... but there is no goddamn way I'm getting involved with a girl who cuts herself. She's got some serious issues to work through, and I'm not about to go down with the ship. I'm honestly a little disappointed.

Probably never heard of Windjammers, either.

My wife used to cut herself. A woman with a little bit of problems can be great. I'd much rather be with someone who is open about her issues than someone who hides them behind a bottle, video games or something else.

Peltz

Wii Shopping channel is closing in early 2019. And so ends the last way to acquire classic titles in 240p other than through second hand (or illegitimate) means.

Pour one out for the greatest console of all time. That's a wrap folks.

Wii Shopping channel is closing in early 2019. And so ends the last way to acquire classic titles in 240p other than through second hand (or illegitimate) means.

Friendly reminder that M2's Rebirth series (Castlevania, Gradius, and Contra) is worth grabbing, and considering current Konami who knows if they will show up elsewhere via legit means any time soon.

F

So much wasted potential

This is why game preservation is so important. The wii shop is about to lose an incredible library but I'm not sad about it because all the wads have been dumped!

RIP

I wonder if anybody is still using the Wii eShop. It's probably enough that they could move everything to S3 infrequently accessed buckets, issue a patch with new endpoints and then just leave it up and still make a profit. There's probably less than a terabyte total storage necessary right?

BTails

RIP Wii Shopping Channel music. Back in those dark days the Wifi where my Wii was set up was terrible. It took forever to just download a single VC title. But man, that music kept me going.

RIP

I wonder if anybody is still using the Wii eShop. It's probably enough that they could move everything to S3 infrequently accessed buckets, issue a patch with new endpoints and then just leave it up and still make a profit. There's probably less than a terabyte total storage necessary right?

I don't know about you but if someone proposed making a barely used service continually accessible at my work by issuing a software update for a system nobody in the office has modified in 6 years & nobody has tested in 6 years, I would certainly push to have it shut down permanently.

This was a long time coming, I'm glad the Wii at least it's fairly easy to just sideload your own wads onto the system. I don't know what I'm going to do when XBLA or PSN shut down.

I don't know about you but if someone proposed making a barely used service continually accessible at my work by issuing a software update for a system nobody in the office has modified in 6 years & nobody has tested in 6 years, I would certainly push to have it shut down permanently.

This was a long time coming, I'm glad the Wii at least it's fairly easy to just sideload your own wads onto the system. I don't know what I'm going to do when XBLA or PSN shut down.

I work in the Financial Industry. We have people (although not for much longer), maintaining systems from the 70s.

Danny Dudekisser

There's probably close to two dozen WiiWare games definitely worth buying on the Wii's eshop. Interesting to me that they're shutting it down on the WiiU, as well (which makes sense, I suppose, given how it's structured), unlike how they handled things with the DSi shop closing.

One thing I'm glad I was able to get before it disappeared was Doc Louis' Punch-Out. It's basically just one fight, but it's a pretty cool bonus for fans of the game that disappeared off the eshop a couple years ago when they shut down Club Nintendo.

Peltz

There's probably close to two dozen WiiWare games definitely worth buying on the Wii's eshop. Interesting to me that they're shutting it down on the WiiU, as well (which makes sense, I suppose, given how it's structured), unlike how they handled things with the DSi shop closing.

One thing I'm glad I was able to get before it disappeared was Doc Louis' Punch-Out. It's basically just one fight, but it's a pretty cool bonus for fans of the game that disappeared off the eshop a couple years ago when they shut down Club Nintendo.

They're likely shutting it down for both because it's different from how DSi software worked on 3DS. DSi games are hosted directly on the eShop on 3DS. In contrast, Wii store is completely separate from the Wii U eShop on Wii U. You have to go into a separate Wii mode to even access it.

Nintendo was running two separate stores/servers for DSiWare - one only accessible by DSi systems which is now shut down, and the other was 3DS eShop which also hosts every 3DS game.

In hindsight, Nintendo should have probably sold WiiWare and Wii VC directly on the Wii U eShop similar to how they sell Wii games on there - with a wrapper for Gamepad controls if the game uses the classic controller. They sort of made more work for themselves unnecessarily, and now a lot of software that could have been hosted there is going to be needlessly lost.

Everything about the Wii U was really poorly thought out and bizarrely executed... especially because 3DS does legacy software better without needing two different menu screens. I honestly don't know what they were thinking.

One of the really nice things about Wii U was the commitment to backwards compatibility with all things Wii. It means that you don't even really need to buy any new controllers to do multiplayer, pretty well every game will work with Classic Controllers or Wii Remotes.

On Switch the options are a bad & expensive controllers that come with the systems, a bad & expensive Pro controller, and jack shit. Doing 4 player multiplayer means $$$.

The switch to Wii mode may be clunky but it's one of the few 100% perfect backcompat implementations out there.

dubc35

I just bought a Wii a couple months ago. I haven't purchased anything on the shop yet but I'll have to check it out. Thanks for the heads up!

Peltz

One of the really nice things about Wii U was the commitment to backwards compatibility with all things Wii. It means that you don't even really need to buy any new controllers to do multiplayer, pretty well every game will work with Classic Controllers or Wii Remotes.

On Switch the options are a bad & expensive controllers that come with the systems, a bad & expensive Pro controller, and jack shit. Doing 4 player multiplayer means $$$.

The switch to Wii mode may be clunky but it's one of the few 100% perfect backcompat implementations out there.

I like that Switch drops all the old peripherals. Back when someone asked me what controller he/she should buy for multiplayer on Wii U, I'd be like... "okay, get a pen and write this down." It was a big clusterfuck of options.

Switch at least limits things properly so that parents and casual gamers aren't unsure of what to buy. It was an overhaul that needed to happen for the sake of marketing and simplicity.

I don't see any good technical reason at least the Wii U Pro Controller couldn't be supported out of the box. It's a better controller than any option on Switch. And I don't see how that would be confusing at all, it would just be nice for anyone that has been a Nintendo fan for years.

Top Bottom