• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro Games Returned #6: Okami

ROMhack

iyJyJRL.jpg

Background and Development

In 2004, Japanese-based Studio named Clover was born. Comprised of ex-Capcom developers, it began life as a semi-autonomous studio operating under its parent company. Members sought to give themselves greater control in order to lead on new projects, including Okami and God Hand. Founding members included Atsushi Inaba, Shinji Mikami and Hideki Kamiya. Later, the company would split into several factions, forming parts of what we now know as PlatinumGames (Bayonetta), Tango Gameworks (The Evil Within) and (RIP) UTV Ignition Games (El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron).

Having played a key hand in its development, the studio's first official project was a port of Viewtiful Joe to PlayStation 2. This has been in the timeline for some time before the studio was officially recognized. Three sequels followed, on the PlayStation 2, Gamecube, PSP and Nintendo DS, respectively. Their first original game was Okami (2006), a brand new IP based on Japanese mythology with visual design inspired by traditional woodblock painting (a combination of both sumi-e and ukiyo-e)

Okami was the brainchild of lead designer, Hideki Kamiya. He originally wanted to build a game 'based around nature'. The first prototype had no concept or theme -- it merely involved a realistic-looking wolf frolicking freely in the countryside. Kamiya later admitted that he found the idea 'incredibly boring'. At some point in development, he decided to switch from a photo-realistic graphical style to the woodblock inspired cartoon-like one. The gave rise to one of the core features of the game - the celestial brush which allows the player to impact their surroundings by drawing on-screen.

During early stages, the team played around with the idea of having the main character (Amaterasu) metamorphose into a dolphin and falcon. These were dropped but the focus on animals remained steadfast. Many of the demon enemies took the form of them, including the big bad boss Orochi - a legendary 8-headed dragon. Okami also involved a healthy dose of Japanese mythology with the hope it would inspire players to ‘research and learn' about Japanese folklore. In total, the localisation team had over 1500 pages of text to translate!

Okami was first demoed at E3 2005 when it was roughly 30% complete. The game was released one year later on PlayStation 2. It was though unfortunately a commercial disappointment for both Clover and Capcom. However, it was praised for its high-minded ideas and now regularly sits high in many 'Best Games of All Time' lists. A significantly upgraded port was then released on the Wii in 2008. HD ports followed on PC, PS3, PS4, Switch, and Xbox One (I personally played it first on Switch).

DZlk1B3.jpg

Ij91E3V.jpg

Story and Gameplay

As mentioned, the player takes control of the main character: Okami Amaterasu, a wolf who bears the prestigious quality of being the goddess of the sun. In Japanese folklore, Amaterasu is considered one of, if not the, most important deity. The most widely-shared myth concerns Amaterasu blocking herself in a cave following an argument with her sister Susanoo. It plunges the world into darkness, allowing evil spirits to reign. The gods try all manner of ways to lure her back out. Eventually they place a large Sakaki Tree laden with all manner of pretty jewels. Being the curious type, Amaterasu takes a peek during which she is distracted by her stunning reflection (as we all are), and is yanked out of the cave so that light reigns again.

These ideas are applied by the game as Amaterasu’s goal is to restore light and color to a world bereft of vibrancy. Several key figures from Japanese folklore emerge, including Susano (a cumbersome warrior), and Issin (a mischievous wandering artist who acts as your companion). The game is set in a magical place called Nippon, with the map forming the basic geography of Japan. The beginning describes a battle that seals the eight-headed demon Orochi inside a cave. The idea from here is to release several celestial gods which are hidden in constellations and who bestow upon you their powers to help in Amaterasu’s quest.

Gameplay wise it plays a lot like Zelda, which it frequently gets mentioned in comparison with. You fight demons. You make etches using your brush. You also encounter Orochi at least three times because the game is stupendously long at 40-60 hours.

Here’s a video…

Music

Similar to its art and story, Okami's music was inspired by aspects of traditional Japanese culture. The man largely responsible is Masami Ueda, and was assisted by Hiroshi Yamaguchi, Rei Kondoh and Akari Groves. The tunes blend traditional music with modern composition. The end result is a moody-yet-melodic soundtrack that emphasizes atmosphere. Many of the tracks sound like traditional instruments such as the Shamisen, a three-stringed lute; the Koto, a 13-string harp-like thing; and Sho, a miniature organ-like instrument. Taiko percussion is also used.

Fun Facts

- Because Japan loves puns, the name Okami has dual meaning. When written as 狼 or オオカミ, it means "wolf". When written as 大神 (this writing is used in the logo), it means "great deity".​
- Okami's official soundtrack is 5 1/2 hours long. It features 215 tracks that were released on 5 CD's!​
- The localization team opted to use shorter versions of Japanese names instead of replacing the names with Western-style ones (for example, a boy named "Mushikai" was localized as "Mushi"). Issun's informal name for Amaterasu in the Western translation, "Ammy", was inspired by Kamiya, and is similar in tone with the Japanese informal name, "Ammako".​
- When learning the upgrade Cherry Bomb from Tama, he will show a fireworks display called "The Midnight Wonderboy", a reference to Alastor from Viewtiful Joe.​
- The game includes several other references to other Capcom titles. For example, Mrs. Orange's technique for making cherry cake parodies Street Fighter's Akuma.​

sJkeI57.jpg

tNNmKKv.jpg

Tell Us What Ya Think!

When did ya first play it?

Did ya like it?

What’s the best version of the game?

Is it too long?

Why is Issin so fucking annoying?

Extra Credits

Retrospective: Okami (Eurogamer.net)

The Floating World of Videogames - An Artistic Take on the Use of Ukiyo-e in Okami (Ruth Chandler Williamson Gallery)

Critical Review of the use of Religion in Okami (With a Terrible Fate)

A HUGE Essay on Representation of Japanese Culture in Okami (Marc Llovet Ferrer)

0ovZ7YG.jpg

DqrTAd7.jpg

–ROM

Last edited:
I love Clover/Platinum, but I miss the Clover logo.

sogood.gif

Clover gave me two of my all-time favorites in God Hand and Okami.

I didn't think Okami was too long because it was so engrossing on almost every level - audio-visually, thematically, etc. I was not bothered by Issun at all - I thought he was charming. I also preferred the garbled, Sim-ish speak to actual voice work. I thought it suited the mythical tale nicely, and real voices would have contrasted too harshly against the fairy tale essence of the work.

My only relatively minor issue in the big picture was the lack of challenge. I wish that it would have offered a bit more resistance to progression and difficulty in combat. Pretty surprising considering Kamiya at the helm imo.

Such an incredibly experience overall though. And don't get me started on that soundtrack. My GAWD!

Such a small sampling could never do justice to the OST.

Amazing thread ROMhack ROMhack 🍺

I still have my sealed retail copy on PS2 that I bought on day one... somewhere. I never got around to playing it. In your opinion: should I play it on the original platform it was developed for, the Wii version or the Xbox One X version (or PS4)?

Or should I start with Okamiden on the Nintendo DS?

One of the greatest games of all-time.

It took me two years to complete, the best 40+ hours i've ever spent. It was a good time in my life when I completed Okami, Far Cry 3, and Catherine in 2 months. Nowadays, I can't even put on my pants on time, let alone complete an epic journey like Okami.

Nevertheless, fantastic retro thread, OP!

-Arcadia-

Banned
I love this game so much, and this kind of post is fantastic. I was thinking to myself that if I ever post anything like this, OP has upped the game significantly. :messenger_hushed:

I’m actually playing through it right now. I’ve had it since 2006, where I played a demo and immediately fell in love with the intro. For whatever reason I would always get stuck, or distracted, until the Switch version came out, where I decided to just finally make it happen, with an assist from handheld mode for convenience.

What a ride it’s been. I’m on what people jokingly refer to as Okami 3, and... it’s kind of true. Okami is its own trilogy, and I absolutely love that, as someone who always wanted to spend more time, and see new stories in these Zelda-style games. It’s more than quantity, though. The art, atmosphere, storytelling, characters, gameplay, music, even the visuals after all this time, are just fantastic — and the cumulative effect being an adventure you’ll never forget.

Games like Okami are why I got into gaming in the first place, but I’d have to probably begrudgingly admit that it’s better than a lot of those games as well. If anyone new to the game sees this thread, and is interested by what they hear of the game, jump in. It’s incredible.

I love this game so much, and this kind of post is fantastic. I was thinking to myself that if I ever post anything like this, OP has upped the game significantly. :messenger_hushed:

I’m actually playing through it right now. I’ve had it since 2006, where I played a demo and immediately fell in love with the intro. For whatever reason I would always get stuck, or distracted, until the Switch version came out, where I decided to just finally make it happen, with an assist from handheld mode for convenience.

What a ride it’s been. I’m on what people jokingly refer to as Okami 3, and... it’s kind of true. Okami is its own trilogy, and I absolutely love that, as someone who always wanted to spend more time, and see new stories in these Zelda-style games. It’s more than quantity, though. The art, atmosphere, storytelling, characters, gameplay, music, even the visuals after all this time, are just fantastic — and the cumulative effect being an adventure you’ll never forget.

Games like Okami are why I got into gaming in the first place, but I’d have to probably begrudgingly admit that it’s better than a lot of those games as well. If anyone new to the game sees this thread, and is interested by what they hear of the game, jump in. It’s incredible.
This is exactly how I felt playing it: Being in an epic adventure.

I got it on PC, and then later on Switch.

The game seems to have a blurry out-of-focus look to it, no matter how high you crank up the resolution. It makes me feel like I'm seeing doubles (that's an exaggeration, but that's the best way I can describe the off-putting visual effect.)

Does the game have any dungeons like Zelda? I only played it a couple of hours but it seemed it's the type of game where the world itself is the dungeon.

Downloaded it on Switch. I know it's meant to be great. I always get to the first few hours and kinda get bored pace wise.

Does it pick up in pace etc?

-Arcadia-

Banned

I still have my sealed retail copy on PS2 that I bought on day one... somewhere. I never got around to playing it. In your opinion: should I play it on the original platform it was developed for, the Wii version or the Xbox One X version (or PS4)?

The partial reason I went with Switch, is because trying to display SD content on HDTVs tends to be a blur nightmare. If that isn’t a problem for you, the PS2 version remains as awesome as ever.

That said... being able to play the game on your modern, everyday system, in widescreen (I don’t think this is an option for the PS2 game? Not sure), and I imagine, probably at 4K too, is a pretty good deal. It just depends if you want to buy the game again.

The Wii version, I wouldn’t do. It came under fire for several small, but meaningful complaints, from not quite getting the paper-quality of the visuals right, to forced motion controls, to stripping out the entire original credit sequence.

Definitely start with Okami, though.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Downloaded it on Switch. I know it's meant to be great. I always get to the first few hours and kinda get bored pace wise.

It does. The storyline and all the things that happen through the game definitely pick up the pace and get more interesting. At the same time, though, it is always a bit of a laid-back game, or at least that’s the impression I get from it.

I’d say give it a little longer, see if it captures you. Sometimes you just have a mismatch between personal gaming tastes and a game, and that’s okay. If you can get into it, however, an amazing journey awaits.

Last edited:
The partial reason I went with Switch, is because trying to display SD content on HDTVs tends to be a blur nightmare. If that isn’t a problem for you, the PS2 version remains as awesome as ever.

That said... being able to play the game on your modern, everyday system, in widescreen (I don’t think this is an option for the PS2 game? Not sure), and I imagine, probably at 4K too, is a pretty good deal. It just depends if you want to buy the game again.

The Wii version, I wouldn’t do. It came under fire for several small, but meaningful complaints, from not quite getting the paper-quality of the visuals right, to forced motion controls, to stripping out the entire original credit sequence.

Definitely start with Okami, though.

Sorted!

I have a CRT so I'll fire it up on the PS2 and get it ready to play so that once I'm done with my second play through of FF7, I'll dive right in.

Edit:

I just unsealed my copy

hKyeLeD.jpg

Can confirm: 2006 oxygen smells better than 2019's. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

zaLLybW.jpg

Mmm... not-so freshly printed video game manual smell :messenger_ok:

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
iyJyJRL.jpg

Background and Development

In 2004, Japanese-based Studio named Clover was born. Comprised of ex-Capcom developers, it began life as a semi-autonomous studio operating under its parent company. Members sought to give themselves greater control in order to lead on new projects, including Okami and God Hand. Founding members included Atsushi Inaba, Shinji Mikami and Hideki Kamiya. Later, the company would split into several factions, forming parts of what we now know as PlatinumGames (Bayonetta), Tango Gameworks (The Evil Within) and (RIP) UTV Ignition Games (El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron).

Having played a key hand in its development, the studio's first official project was a port of Viewtiful Joe to PlayStation 2. This has been in the timeline for some time before the studio was officially recognized. Three sequels followed, on the PlayStation 2, Gamecube, PSP and Nintendo DS, respectively. Their first original game was Okami (2006), a brand new IP based on Japanese mythology with visual design inspired by traditional woodblock painting (a combination of both sumi-e and ukiyo-e)

Okami was the brainchild of lead designer, Hideki Kamiya. He originally wanted to build a game 'based around nature'. The first prototype had no concept or theme -- it merely involved a realistic-looking wolf frolicking freely in the countryside. Kamiya later admitted that he found the idea 'incredibly boring'. At some point in development, he decided to switch from a photo-realistic graphical style to the woodblock inspired cartoon-like one. The gave rise to one of the core features of the game - the celestial brush which allows the player to impact their surroundings by drawing on-screen.

During early stages, the team played around with the idea of having the main character (Amaterasu) metamorphose into a dolphin and falcon. These were dropped but the focus on animals remained steadfast. Many of the demon enemies took the form of them, including the big bad boss Orochi - a legendary 8-headed dragon. Okami also involved a healthy dose of Japanese mythology with the hope it would inspire players to ‘research and learn' about Japanese folklore. In total, the localisation team had over 1500 pages of text to translate!

Okami was first demoed at E3 2005 when it was roughly 30% complete. The game was released one year later on PlayStation 2. It was though unfortunately a commercial disappointment for both Clover and Capcom. However, it was praised for its high-minded ideas and now regularly sits high in many 'Best Games of All Time' lists. A significantly upgraded port was then released on the Wii in 2008. HD ports followed on PC, PS3, PS4, Switch, and Xbox One (I personally played it first on Switch).

DZlk1B3.jpg

Ij91E3V.jpg

Story and Gameplay

As mentioned, the player takes control of the main character: Okami Amaterasu, a wolf who bears the prestigious quality of being the goddess of the sun. In Japanese folklore, Amaterasu is considered one of, if not the, most important deity. The most widely-shared myth concerns Amaterasu blocking herself in a cave following an argument with her sister Susanoo. It plunges the world into darkness, allowing evil spirits to reign. The gods try all manner of ways to lure her back out. Eventually they place a large Sakaki Tree laden with all manner of pretty jewels. Being the curious type, Amaterasu takes a peek during which she is distracted by her stunning reflection (as we all are), and is yanked out of the cave so that light reigns again.

These ideas are applied by the game as Amaterasu’s goal is to restore light and color to a world bereft of vibrancy. Several key figures from Japanese folklore emerge, including Susano (a cumbersome warrior), and Issin (a mischievous wandering artist who acts as your companion). The game is set in a magical place called Nippon, with the map forming the basic geography of Japan. The beginning describes a battle that seals the eight-headed demon Orochi inside a cave. The idea from here is to release several celestial gods which are hidden in constellations and who bestow upon you their powers to help in Amaterasu’s quest.

Gameplay wise it plays a lot like Zelda, which it frequently gets mentioned in comparison with. You fight demons. You make etches using your brush. You also encounter Orochi at least three times because the game is stupendously long at 40-60 hours.

Here’s a video…

Music

Similar to its art and story, Okami's music was inspired by aspects of traditional Japanese culture. The man largely responsible is Masami Ueda, and was assisted by Hiroshi Yamaguchi, Rei Kondoh and Akari Groves. The tunes blend traditional music with modern composition. The end result is a moody-yet-melodic soundtrack that emphasizes atmosphere. Many of the tracks sound like traditional instruments such as the Shamisen, a three-stringed lute; the Koto, a 13-string harp-like thing; and Sho, a miniature organ-like instrument. Taiko percussion is also used.

Fun Facts

- Because Japan loves puns, the name Okami has dual meaning. When written as 狼 or オオカミ, it means "wolf". When written as 大神 (this writing is used in the logo), it means "great deity".​
- Okami's official soundtrack is 5 1/2 hours long. It features 215 tracks that were released on 5 CD's!​
- The localization team opted to use shorter versions of Japanese names instead of replacing the names with Western-style ones (for example, a boy named "Mushikai" was localized as "Mushi"). Issun's informal name for Amaterasu in the Western translation, "Ammy", was inspired by Kamiya, and is similar in tone with the Japanese informal name, "Ammako".​
- When learning the upgrade Cherry Bomb from Tama, he will show a fireworks display called "The Midnight Wonderboy", a reference to Alastor from Viewtiful Joe.​
- The game includes several other references to other Capcom titles. For example, Mrs. Orange's technique for making cherry cake parodies Street Fighter's Akuma.​

sJkeI57.jpg

tNNmKKv.jpg

Tell Us What Ya Think!

When did ya first play it?

Did ya like it?

What’s the best version of the game?

Is it too long?

Why is Issin so fucking annoying?

Extra Credits

Retrospective: Okami (Eurogamer.net)

The Floating World of Videogames - An Artistic Take on the Use of Ukiyo-e in Okami (Ruth Chandler Williamson Gallery)

Critical Review of the use of Religion in Okami (With a Terrible Fate)

A HUGE Essay on Representation of Japanese Culture in Okami (Marc Llovet Ferrer)

0ovZ7YG.jpg

DqrTAd7.jpg

–ROM

Okami is a Cultural Heritage of the gaming industry modern with Gravity rush.

Actually i got The ps2 version with black label... i planned to get the Switch version.

Is considered a Cult videogame... thank to who???? yeah thats right.... Gaming Journalist .... that never praise the game in the first place.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
Okami is a Cultural Heritage of the gaming industry modern with Gravity rush.

Actually i got The ps2 version with black label... i planned to get the Switch version.

Is considered a Cult videogame... thank to who???? yeah thats right.... Gaming Journalist .... that never praise the game in the first place.

Okami did get a lot of love from journalists on launch.

Then again, 2006 was a completely different time and place, and some of the old guard, who absolutely kicked ass at their job, were still there.

mcjmetroid

I loved this game it was amazing.
My only complaints are it is far too easy combat wise and it is too long for it's own good.
Games like this shouldn't be longer than at least 30 hours, I'm not sure how long Okami was in the end.

ROMhack

That's a difficult one. I think it's a bit like Shadow of the Colossus (and Resident Evil 4) insofar as the game looking a bit better on another console. Certainly the Wii port brought a lot more to the table - including clever use of the celestial brush using the wiimote - but the HD ports look so, so, so much better. They really bring out the artstyle, which looks gorgeous on muh Switch.

So yeah, inconclusive haha. I guess it's a purity vs. quality argument.

Edit: Ah, just seen your post about playing it on a CRT. Enjoy!!!

Last edited:

ROMhack

One of the greatest games of all-time.

It took me two years to complete, the best 40+ hours i've ever spent. It was a good time in my life when I completed Okami, Far Cry 3, and Catherine in 2 months. Nowadays, I can't even put on my pants on time, let alone complete an epic journey like Okami.

Nevertheless, fantastic retro thread, OP!

Yeah it's a weird game in that it feels best to play it slower. 'Laid back' as Arcadia says.

IMO yes. The first few hours are very drawn out, it's a complaint I've seen time and time again.

Last edited:

ROMhack

Sorted!

I have a CRT so I'll fire it up on the PS2 and get it ready to play so that once I'm done with my second play through of FF7, I'll dive right in.

Edit:

I just unsealed my copy

hKyeLeD.jpg

zaLLybW.jpg

Ooo, any chance you can take a picture of that? I wanna read the text.

Rodolink

Loved it overall, although I felt it a little too long and repetitive after the time you think is the end, But still holds as one of th ebest Zelda like adventure games imo.

Moonjt9

I started playing it on switch a while back. My friend sang this game’s praises so I figured it would be a good addition to my collection.

I was really enjoying it for a while, and then I beat Orochi. I thought that would be the end of the game...but then suddenly a new bad guy appears!

honestly the game kind of lost me at that point. I didn’t really feel the urge to keep playing and discover more. And seeing how apparently the game is like 40 hours long, I don’t know if I could even finish it if I did go back to it.

Is this a common sentiment? I really wanted to like it because I have a lot of personal retro favorites. It was really good from what I played, but I just didn’t have the desire to continue after defeating Orochi.

Sorted!

Edit:

I just unsealed my copy

hKyeLeD.jpg

zaLLybW.jpg

I still have my launch day PS2 NTSC sealed copy, but I'm not opening it. It's a perfect treasure. I gave my child the Buddah board pre-order bonus. (Only time I've pre-ordered a game in my entire life, and probably the last time I was in a Gamestop, lol.) We actually had a lot of fun playing around with that so long ago. (Not my image) And the whole concept behind the board (living/creating & letting go) is very much in tune with my own nature.

s-l300.jpg

giphy.gif

sn0man

This is one of those games that I cannot decide which to purchase. I usually collect things on the original release but the ports are so numerous and varied that I am paralyzed on which to get.

can anyone say if the motion controls with the move/wiimote or the drawing on screen with the switch are really must have features?

does anyone know if you can draw on theps4 touchpad?

Rodolink

I started playing it on switch a while back. My friend sang this game’s praises so I figured it would be a good addition to my collection.

I was really enjoying it for a while, and then I beat Orochi. I thought that would be the end of the game...but then suddenly a new bad guy appears!

honestly the game kind of lost me at that point. I didn’t really feel the urge to keep playing and discover more. And seeing how apparently the game is like 40 hours long, I don’t know if I could even finish it if I did go back to it.

Is this a common sentiment? I really wanted to like it because I have a lot of personal retro favorites. It was really good from what I played, but I just didn’t have the desire to continue after defeating Orochi.
Exactly the same happened to me, its not that bad the second half but feels more like a chore. I think they followed the japanese storytelling model (kishoutenketsu) where the "ending" is just a turning point by th emiddle of the story. (Not like the climax in western storytelling where is at the last third)

ROMhack

I started this yesterday for the first time. It’s ok. Haven’t done anything too special on it.

Does start off slow, gets much better as it goes on.

Although it's generally a slow game so don't expect too much in terms of frenetic, fast-paced action.

Last edited:

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Played when it was released on PS2 and finished there. Had a blast. It was the best Zelda game since Ocarina of Time for me.

Got again for Switch in the start of the year, aaaaaaaaand it doesn't hold up quite well. It's really great, but holy shit, there is so much cutscenes for everything. I have this problem with Banjo-Tooie, when Banjo Kazooie came first and is way faster than the second game. And why I have to expend on something to teleport? The map is big, guys

Also, a while back I got and finished Okamiden. Doesn't have much cutscenes, so it's really a design of the past.

But yeah, still is a great game and I can't recomend enough, but if a new Okami game is gonna to be made (which I guess that it doesn't need), make it faster and a open world with side quests like Breath of the Wild.

Top Bottom