• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retroactively fixing Force Awakens script. [Spoilers]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Changing Hans death to that of Randy Quaids in Independence Day sounds pretty bad.

Also, I ignored the first use of "force google" in the intro but then you brought it up again in point 7 so I have to ask what the hell is force googling?

Proelite

Changing Hans death to that of Randy Quaids in Independence Day sounds pretty bad.

Also, I ignored the first use of "force google" in the intro but then you brought it up again in point 7 so I have to ask what the hell is force googling?

Googling how to use the force through the force.

WillyFive

Only things I would have done differently:

1. Have Finn actually go to the meeting with Phasma; there we learn he was a janitor (that way it doesn't come out of left field later in the film).

2. Don't wuss out, have that actually be Coruscant instead of no-name Hosnian Prime.

3. Have Leia hug Chewie instead of Rey at the end.

But outside of that, script was perfect.

shira

I was pretty disappointed with the film overall. My biggest issues with the film were

1. Rey's force googling powers.
2. Finn's forgettable role.
3. Lack of progress for Han after 30s.
4. R2D2's role.
5. Few space battles.
6. Galaxy felt smaller than it ever did.
7. Han's artificial death.

I thought about some changes to the characters and script that would clearly make a superior film in my opinion. My changes to the characters and the role would attempt to address all of the issues.

1. Finn is the sole surviving apprentice of Luke after the massacre. Before Luke disappeared, he was given the mission of finding and protecting Rey until his return. Since he is the last active Jedi and the only one who knows where Luke is, he is always on the run from First Order Assassins and Knights of Rey, and has a lot of wounds and scars to show for it. He has a prothetic arm due to his injury suffered at the massacre. He is at first reluctant to train Rey, but later does so out of necessity. He was a Jedi in training and an average pupil at best, and also lacks confidence in his own abilities. This would create tension and suspense whenever he is in combat. BB8 is Finn's personal robot. He has Luke's lightsaber, which he was told to return to Luke after his finishes his mission.

2. Rey gets trained by Finn, which would address the issue of her force googling powers. The audience would also get a better sense of how special she is when she masters basic training and overtakes Finn really quickly. Chemistry between the two characters would also be better than in the original script due to the teacher / student dynamic.

3. Han is a captain of a New Republic Navy cruiser that went rogue shortly after Ben Solo deflected. Fed up with the corruption and bureaucracy of the New Republic that allows the First Order to rampage freely, he and his crew becomes privateer and forms the Resistance group to fight against the First Order. New Republic renounces his group in an order to keep peace with the Empire. Chewie is the first Mate. The Millenium Falcon is used as the ship's transport.

4. Leia is a Senator that is trying to challenge the bureaucracy and the corruption. She visits world that have being devastated by First Order attacks. We get to see the larger galaxy and the effects of the first order through her eyes. She has to deal with assassins and corrupt politicians. She was later attacked on a diplomatic mission and was wounded and captured, but later rescued by Han.

5. Han dies when his cruiser sacrificed in the final attack on Starkiller base. A more cliched ending but it would be nicer, if done right, than the sensationalistic one in the current movie.

6. Because the protagonist have a capital ship. We'll actually get to see some capital ship combat instead of a fighter skirmish.

7. Finn is defeated by Kylo Ren in the final fight (2 v 1 instead of the 1 v 1), but not before wounding Ren. The rest of the fight plays out similarly to the movie. Rey bests Ren not because she can force google, but because she was trained adequately by Finn.

8. The last scene in the movie actually makes more sense now. Rey returns Luke's saber in place of Finn. Their silent moment together would in honor of Finn's journey and dedication to his mission.

I have not yet figured out what to do with Poe Dameron. He might just be a low key hot-shot X-wing pilot onboard Han's ship, or Leia's personal bodyguard.

Read the novel and wiki. There is a lot more backstory and intricate plot. The end product was something so simplified that anyone could enjoy it. The point is to make money selling toys and appealing to the widest possible audience.

I was pretty disappointed with the film overall. My biggest issues with the film were

1. Rey's force googling powers.
2. Finn's forgettable role.
3. Lack of progress for Han after 30s.
4. R2D2's role.
5. Few space battles.
6. Galaxy felt smaller than it ever did.
7. Han's artificial death.

I thought about some changes to the characters and script that would clearly make a superior film in my opinion. My changes to the characters and the role would attempt to address all of the issues.

1. Finn is the sole surviving apprentice of Luke after the massacre. Before Luke disappeared, he was given the mission of finding and protecting Rey until his return. Since he is the last active Jedi and the only one who knows where Luke is, he is always on the run from First Order Assassins and Knights of Rey, and has a lot of wounds and scars to show for it. He has a prothetic arm due to his injury suffered at the massacre. He is at first reluctant to train Rey, but later does so out of necessity. He was a Jedi in training and an average pupil at best, and also lacks confidence in his own abilities. This would create tension and suspense whenever he is in combat. BB8 is Finn's personal robot. He has Luke's lightsaber, which he was told to return to Luke after his finishes his mission.

2. Rey gets trained by Finn, which would address the issue of her force googling powers. The audience would also get a better sense of how special she is when she masters basic training and overtakes Finn really quickly. Chemistry between the two characters would also be better than in the original script due to the teacher / student dynamic.

3. Han is a captain of a New Republic Navy cruiser that went rogue shortly after Ben Solo deflected. Fed up with the corruption and bureaucracy of the New Republic that allows the First Order to rampage freely, he and his crew becomes privateer and forms the Resistance group to fight against the First Order. New Republic renounces his group in an order to keep peace with the Empire. Chewie is the first Mate. The Millenium Falcon is used as the ship's transport.

4. Leia is a Senator that is trying to challenge the bureaucracy and the corruption. She visits world that have being devastated by First Order attacks. We get to see the larger galaxy and the effects of the first order through her eyes. She has to deal with assassins and corrupt politicians. She was later attacked on a diplomatic mission and was wounded and captured, but later rescued by Han.

5. Han dies when his cruiser sacrificed in the final attack on Starkiller base. A more cliched ending but it would be nicer, if done right, than the sensationalistic one in the current movie.

6. Because the protagonist have a capital ship. We'll actually get to see some capital ship combat instead of a fighter skirmish.

7. Finn is defeated by Kylo Ren in the final fight (2 v 1 instead of the 1 v 1), but not before wounding Ren. The rest of the fight plays out similarly to the movie. Rey bests Ren not because she can force google, but because she was trained adequately by Finn.

8. The last scene in the movie actually makes more sense now. Rey returns Luke's saber in place of Finn. Their silent moment together would in honor of Finn's journey and dedication to his mission.

I have not yet figured out what to do with Poe Dameron. He might just be a low key hot-shot X-wing pilot onboard Han's ship, or Leia's personal bodyguard.
:-( No, I much prefer what we got. :-(

Yeah, its unsurprising that people are reacting negatively on this forum, because people seem to be in love with it here. Personally, I thought it felt uninspired and was forgettable. Not a bad flick, but not epic Star Wars material either.

Anyways, I especially agreed with your first three suggestions, particularly I liked the third one. I found the description of Han's background post-ROTJ to be really weak and did not feel like it accurately reflected what the character would have done based on his previous arc.

I had issues with Poe being presumed dead and then suddenly reappearing, as well as Starkiller Base and the resistance base both being able to see the New Republic's capital system with the naked eye.

Sulik2

Hans death was the best part of TFA. We actually got to see the effects of the dark side on a person's thoughts and actions in a dramatic and painful way. That is how a Knight should fall and be irredeemable.

Starkiller base had problems and the earlier scripts of having it be a massive space battle to assault the planet would have been much better.

I would drop the whole Starkiller Base plot line all together. Make the First Order a menacing force without the Death Star Redux.

Gives the script more time to spend on character moments.

I am hoping that is what Episode 8 is going to do, now that the nostalgia has been mined.

kurahador

Having beaten SWTOR Jedi Knight class story recently, I just realized Rey is essentially him/her minus all the interesting things that happened in later chapters ---- a chosen one/most OP Jedi without any explanation as to why or how.

mugwhump

I thought the movie was fine except for
1) Finn's personality showing no signs whatsoever of how he was supposedly raised as a mass-produced child soldier
2) Rey's force powers being really strong out of nowhere

Dead Man

Just put Chewie in the left hand seat on the Falcon, he deserves that ship after all he's been through. Instead he is almost literally a lap dog.

Skux

For me, all it needed was a little extra line from Rey about the Jedi legends she's heard, and at least establish she knows what kinds powers the mythical Jedi have.

Something like "I heard stories of people who can move things with their minds, shoot lightning from their fingertips, and control the minds of others."

adj_noun

Just put Chewie in the left hand seat on the Falcon, he deserves that ship after all he's been through. Instead he is almost literally a lap dog.

You might say he deserves a medal*!

*I don't care if they fixed it in canon, that Wookie deserved it!

For me, all it needed was a little extra line from Rey about the Jedi legends she's heard, and at least establish she knows what kinds powers the mythical Jedi have.

Something like "I heard stories of people who can move things with their minds, shoot lightning from their fingertips, and control the minds of others."

I thought it was obvious that she felt Kylo attempt mind control on her, resisted it so hard she inadvertently reversed it and began to reach into his mind, and then extrapolated from there that she could use the same technique on Daniel Craig.

Really not sure why so many people seem to have a problem with that. Seemed quite clear to me.

dity

Force Googling is a power I'd like to have. I'd always know exactly what terms I need to search to find the answers I need. Is that what you mean by Force Googling?

Lotto

lets be real guys, the movie we got was also fan fiction

i prefer the fan fiction we got compared to this one tho

Kinokou

he is always on the run from First Order Assassins and Knights of Rey

I think the most important script change they should have done is change the name of Kylo Ren or Rey to stop people from mixing them up. It happens really often and it bugs me every time.

Cuburt

Sweet fanfiction

The way to fix a movie made up of sweet fancition is more sweet fanfiction.

Saw it again a week ago in IMAX and overall I'm liking this film less each time I've seen it. Lot's of flaws that I can't overlook like some others seem to be able to do.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
The problems Force Awakens had are not addressed in the OP and the suggested improvements are actually worse than the things they're trying to fix.

2/10 for effort.

I'm nto sure really to begin. I had started writing this long response and just decided to delete it.

Our views on this film are simply incompatible and will just have to remain that way. Sorry you didn't enjoy it, but I loved it. I can't say I agree with anything you have said here, but I suppose after so much time we all might just want something else from this film.

Man I just really don't get how you don't love Finn. His role was so important, and he was such a special character. Oh well.

Osahi

So you would switch out an amazing character moment, that defines a bad guy who is more human than ever in a Star Wars movie, just so Han can have a forced emotional 'hero shot'

Erhm, no thanks

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Shit like this is why it's hard to take criticism of the movie seriously. Your version is fucking terrible and you should feel embarrassed about it.

Proelite

Shit like this is why it's hard to take criticism of the movie seriously. Your version is fucking terrible and you should feel embarrassed about it.

I came up with it in an afternoon. JJ's team had months to do it and it's fucking terrible too.

I came up with it in an afternoon. JJ's team had months to do it and it's fucking terrible too.

False. Someone who thinks their terrible idea is better would think this, but again you are wrong. I would say most people would agree, it's been beloved by critics and fans alike.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
1) Finn's personality showing no signs whatsoever of how he was supposedly raised as a mass-produced child soldier

Yes. Thank you.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
A lot of your fixes completely remove the impact that the massacre had on Luke, Leia and Han. With your fix Luke is no longer completely detached from the rest of the galaxy thanks to what Kylo did. Instead of hiding from everyone he is sending his students to go and find more Jedis rather than wanting to hide from it all. Now to Luke the massacre wasn't a moment in his life that completely destroyed him but just an event had made him switch up the way he dealt with the new Jedi order.

Likewise, with Han and Leia it longer holds as much weight as it once did. Their relationship is no longer a sad turn of events because of Kylo's actions. It happened, they're probably sad about it but they went on with what they were doing before Kylo's turn to the darkside happened. Once his whole world fall apart, instead of facing it on he ran away with Chewie to do what, "what he knew".

Your version of his death also completely removes a lot of the family drama present in the final film. Han's death is amazing because it shows you that Kylo's turn to the darkside affected him so much that he was willing to walk into the lion's den to bring his son back. He knew he was going to either die or come back with his son when he walked on that platform and he still did it. Kylo killing his dad is also the moment where he is completely turned to the darkside and will probably not be able to return. Even if he tries to, his sins are far too great to forgive. All of that is gone with your changes.

If Finn's personality reflected his upbringing then he'd be a traumatized character. He's a fun character by design, what you're asking for would remove a lot of fun moments TFA had.

You're pretty much saying, "could this movie be a bit less fun?".

BouncyFrag

It needed more Poe. Ren shouldn't have taken off his helmet until he confronted Han. What was the point of the shiny storm trooper? The movie got waaaay to predictable once I realized that episode VII was mostly a rehashing of A New Hope.

I thought it was obvious that she felt Kylo attempt mind control on her, resisted it so hard she inadvertently reversed it and began to reach into his mind, and then extrapolated from there that she could use the same technique on Daniel Craig.

Really not sure why so many people seem to have a problem with that. Seemed quite clear to me.
It was pretty obvious to me that this is what happened. She goes into his mind, then she starts using the force.

Dead Man

If Finn's personality reflected his upbringing then he'd be a traumatized character. He's a fun character by design, what you're asking for would remove a lot of fun moments TFA had.

Sure, but as it stands now, it is not really self consistent. Nobody forced them to make a protagonist a former stormtrooper, and nobody forced them to portray him the way they did. He could have been older and slowly changed, he could have been not a stormtrooper but some other member of the first order. Regardless, they really don't show a child soldier with no name, to me.

It was a fun as hell movie, but it had its issues.

You might say he deserves a medal*!

*I don't care if they fixed it in canon, that Wookie deserved it!

:)

If you want a good sequel to the ot , that script is unsalvageable as it is. It's a hot mess with a hodgepodge of ideas to remake one movie while latching onto characters that existed 30 years ago. Structurally-wise is, by far, the weakest in terms of sw movies. Ren/ Han ham-fisted story and confrontation is worse than the sand coarse dialogue. You can't reshape that. You redo it.

Surfinn

The bridge leads to nowhere, when if its gonna be thematic, it would at least have some kind of ending, it literally goes into a mist and wall. If he has no choice but to kill Han, what has been gained? Han essentially does nothing but push up an inevitablility. In other words, this is a growth scene for Han, which doesn't serve the plot at all. At this point, you're just waiting for Ben to do it, which I guess can be tension, but since its already forgone, its toothless.

I have no idea why you're so transfixed on the bridge. The location, whether it's a hanger, hallway, bridge, or anywhere else on the Starkiller makes no difference. The entire point of that scene wasn't to mirror ANH (common misconception, which I addressed in this post) but rather set a specific direction for Kylo Ren's choices, which have been a staple of the SW universe (choosing the light side or dark). His ultimate decision to murder his father in cold blood is a lot more reminiscent of Vader's decision to SAVE Luke in ROTJ, a turning point for Vader's character, but a direct inverse of Kylo's decision to kill Han.

This is character development in its finest sense, and will have a long lasting impact on Kylo as we move forward in the trilogy.

mugwhump

I liked Finn's personality. That was more an attack on the "mass produced child soldier" backstory, which they should have just left out, since they did nothing with it and it's really hard to believe.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I liked Finn's personality. That was more an attack on the "mass produced child soldier" backstory, which they should have just left out, since they did nothing with it and it's really hard to believe.

I think it helps show you how different Finn is compared to everyone else. If he had left the First Order being someone who willingly joined as an adult, that takes away from his decision to betray them. His decision to defect is also simplified since we see how dedicated other Stormtroopers are to the cause while he was able to see that it was all bullshit.

He could have easily been that shield Stormtrooper yelling "traitor" at someone else but he wasn't, he's one in a million.

I would drop the whole Starkiller Base plot line all together. Make the First Order a menacing force without the Death Star Redux.

Gives the script more time to spend on character moments.

I am hoping that is what Episode 8 is going to do, now that the nostalgia has been mined.
Pretty much this, without Starkiller this movie could have been perfect, now it's just very very good and entertaining. I still think that many people are biased by personal expectations, something I don't really care about: the movie is a fantastic Star Wars and hit on the right notes, characters are awesome (yeah, Poe Dameron too), it looks amazing and has a unique pacing. It's sad that so many look at it like if it was a stupid thing full of fanservice just because it looks simple, while instead was a very hard work for Kasdan and Abrams.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom