• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RETROARCH - The all-in-one emulator dreams are made of, son

Aeana

Cool stuff Aeana. Bit too sharp and textured for my liking but everyone has their jam.

Definitely eager to see the effect of including NTSC into the mix, but worried that'll add another intensive layer to proceedings and start hitting performance. Having said that, emus that have NTSC stuff built in (eg: Gens) is when I'm hitting my "yes this is how its meant to display" point.
Oh, I don't want it to be that sharp. I saw your images earlier and they seemed softer. How did you accomplish that?

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Oh, I don't want it to be that sharp. I saw your images earlier and they seemed softer. How did you accomplish that?

These are the levels I've been using that I've just clipped out my cgp to compare and contrast:
crt_gamma = "2.500000"
lcd_gamma = "2.200000"
levels_contrast = "1.000000"
levels_underestimate = "0.800000"
halation_weight = "0.020000"
diffusion_weight = "0.145000"
bloom_excess = "0.450000"
beam_min_sigma = "0.020000"
beam_max_sigma = "0.300000"
beam_spot_power = "0.330000"
beam_min_shape = "2.000000"
beam_max_shape = "4.000000"
beam_shape_power = "0.250000"
beam_horiz_filter = "1.000000"
beam_horiz_sigma = "0.350000"
beam_horiz_linear_rgb_weight = "1.000000"
convergence_offset_x_r = "0.000000"
convergence_offset_x_g = "0.000000"
convergence_offset_x_b = "0.000000"
convergence_offset_y_r = "0.000000"
convergence_offset_y_g = "0.000000"
convergence_offset_y_b = "0.000000"
mask_type = "1.000000"
mask_sample_mode_desired = "1.000000"
mask_specify_num_triads = "1.000000"
mask_triad_size_desired = "3.000000"
mask_num_triads_desired = "480.000000"
aa_subpixel_r_offset_x_runtime = "-0.333333"
aa_subpixel_r_offset_y_runtime = "0.333333"
aa_cubic_c = "0.500000"
aa_gauss_sigma = "0.500000"
geom_mode_runtime = "1.000000"
geom_radius = "2.000000"
geom_view_dist = "2.000000"
geom_tilt_angle_x = "0.000000"
geom_tilt_angle_y = "0.000000"
geom_aspect_ratio_x = "432.000000"
geom_aspect_ratio_y = "329.000000"
geom_overscan_x = "1.000000"
geom_overscan_y = "1.000000"
border_size = "0.020000"
border_darkness = "2.000000"
border_compress = "2.500000"
interlace_bff = "1.000000"
interlace_1080i = "1.000000"

There might be other stuff switched off by virtue of me having a Radeon, and I can see a few texture_small_mipmap = "false" entries. lol i dunno. This rabbit hole is deep.

Aeana

beam_horiz_filter makes the image slightly softer, and I think it'll be good enough until the NTSC version is out. I thought I'd messed with this option before but I guess in all of my reloading it didn't ever stay turned on.

EDIT: Or not. Something I changed made it slightly softer, but I guess beam_horiz_filter wasn't it.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Ive made a basic setup video for RetroArch showing how to load and save system configs etc if anyone is interested....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHXyGK9DNX4&feature=youtu.be

Theres a link in the description of my video above that has all the shaders, just unzip that and name the folder shaders, then add it to your retroarch directory
Appreciate the video. Not only is it useful to me but to a friend who's been looking for a basic walk through on things like the one you made. Thumbs up.

Yeah Lakka is kind of a bad choice for the GUI. Don't really like the XMB interface, makes searching around for games tedious.

The one thing I'm REALLY pining for is core-specific control options.

So, unrelated to anything: has anyone gotten the DOSBox core to work, like... at all? I have a mess of old EGA games I'd love to push through some filters but I have yet to get it to do anything useful.

sörine;124140677 said:
1.1 update news. ETA is early September if everything goes according to plan, four new cores (PPSSPP, fMSX, BlueMSX, Vecx), soft filters & audio DSPs, Retroarch for PSP & Blackberry, new GUI (Lakka) and more! Looking like it's going to be very worth the wait!

No Mednafen GBA? :( That is the only single thing standing in the way of Retroarch being the best place shy of real hardware to play the Mother 3 translation.

Super pumped for a PSP release, though. I would love to get rid of the mess of garbagey-interface emus on my Go. And you left out one of the bigger pieces of news from that blogpost -- a buildbot and official nightlies!

Yeah Lakka is kind of a bad choice for the GUI. Don't really like the XMB interface, makes searching around for games tedious.

The one thing I'm REALLY pining for is core-specific control options.

Yeah, I get by with RGUI which works fine for loading ROMs and tweaking shaders, but I would love an interface that actually made the per-core configs vaguely workable.

ILoveBish

According to squarepusher, the old RGUI is still going to remain as an option. So if you prefer that interface, you will still have it as an option.

Also, i just tried out a dev build with PPSSPP in x64 windows in retroarch, and it works just fine. Played about 5 games, they all worked. Shout outs to AndresSM who got it going on the windows solution for the port. He is going to make an account here soon as well to interact with everyone directly.

Aeana

Wow, that blog post... They claim Mednafen PCE is full speed on PSP. If that's true and it includes SuperCD games, I am super hyped.

Wow, Retroarch on PSP could be fantastic! It seems like the current PSP based emulators haven't been worked on in a while, so a currently worked-on emulator would be so good and potentially iron out the performance issues with old SNES9x versions.

I'm keen.

Card Boy

Banned
REGARDING RETROPIE (Retroarch for Raspberry Pi)

I'm having issues with my Official (Wired) Xbox 360 Pad. I got it to register with the "xboxdrv -D i 0 --next-controller -i 1 --next-controller -i 2 --next-controller -i 3 --deadzone 4000 --dbus disabled &" command and it works on the Emulation Station menu. But when i go in game buttons work except for the D-Pad or Analog stick.

I don't know any Linux and am using the latest 2.3 version of RetroPie. I got games working, its just controller issues at the moment.

Well I got the 360 d-pad working now! I literally did nothing to the Pi since Saturday.

My next mission is to get GBA stuff working (need BIOS?) and trying to overclock the thing, it wouldn't let me overclock and the error message disappears too fast.

sörine

Banned
According to squarepusher, the old RGUI is still going to remain as an option. So if you prefer that interface, you will still have it as an option.
Oh yay! I know it's ugly and awkward and looks like something from 1987 bit I've really grown to love rgui.

LiquidMetal14

sörine;124225505 said:
Oh yay! I know it's ugly and awkward and looks like something from 1987 bit I've really grown to love rgui.
I might try emulation station later or when it's ready. That looks great.

The current UI is a little clunky.

Dina

Hmm, so I tested it with snes9x and now I have far less bugs. No more sound crashes on error, which is nice.

But for some odd reason, whenever I launch RetroArch, there is a mouse pointer in the middle of the screen. Even when setting it to full screen. No clue why this is happening, but it does affect performance.

edit: aaand fixed it through EventGhost. Now runs far less choppy too.

bbjvc

really love emustation, so smooth and pretty, but does anyone know how to hide clones in for Mame with it?

LiquidMetal14

really love emustation, so smooth and pretty, but does anyone know how to hide clones in for Mame with it?

I'm more curious on how to actually set it up and get it working. It looks daunting. Is there a working archive or a detailed tutorial video? And how do you piggy back that off Retroarch?

LiquidMetal14

I just updated my install to the latest build from last month and I'm impressed. Netplay is now available through RGUI as well as a lot of options previously hidden in the configs. Very cool.

So has anyone tried the Netplay multiplayer?

Not yet. It would be nice if it had some working Kaillera like client. I can't port forward on this dumb Motoral modem/router combo provided by my ISP but I can join any game.

Miker

So, unrelated to anything: has anyone gotten the DOSBox core to work, like... at all? I have a mess of old EGA games I'd love to push through some filters but I have yet to get it to do anything useful.

No Mednafen GBA? :( That is the only single thing standing in the way of Retroarch being the best place shy of real hardware to play the Mother 3 translation.

Super pumped for a PSP release, though. I would love to get rid of the mess of garbagey-interface emus on my Go. And you left out one of the bigger pieces of news from that blogpost -- a buildbot and official nightlies!

Yeah, I get by with RGUI which works fine for loading ROMs and tweaking shaders, but I would love an interface that actually made the per-core configs vaguely workable.

What's that about Mother 3? I've been curious about trying it via emulator for ages now.

Awakened

What's that about Mother 3? I've been curious about trying it via emulator for ages now.
There is a Mednafen GBA core included in lordashram's latest test release, but it crashes on launching a game for me. Mednafen GBA is an old fork of VBA-M though; generally you'd want to use the VBA-M core, which is based on the latest source.

I've done some testing with Mother 3 specifically and the VBA-Next core has one less bug than M. Next doesn't have the issue where the BGM will speed up while looking at certain items in your inventory (happens with the Libra Bracelet and Battle Memory on my end game save). The Next core is also an old fork of VBA-M made for speed on slower platforms. It seems to have worse colors than M; a bit more green in a quick screenshot comparison I did. I can't load my save in stand alone Mednafen to see if it has the BGM issue.

I think this commit was supposed to fix that issue in VBA-M, but I just tested it with a core compiled on 7/26/2014 and it still happens.

Both cores and the latest stand alone Mednafen have the sound stutter at the beginning of the game before the "Welcome to the World of Mother 3" screen.

They are both pretty minor issues overall though. I recommend using VBA-M until something better comes along. The GBA emulation in Higan is striving for accuracy, but was pretty far from finished last time I tried it.

Aeana

The issue that charlequin was alluding to with Mother 3 is that the rhythm combo system in the game requires extremely low latency in order to operate properly, and RetroArch+Mednafen GBA (presumably also with the GPU Hard Sync option in RetroArch) should offer lower latency than other emulation solutions.

What shaders do you guys use for PS1/N64 emulation?
cgwg_curved looks great for sprite-based games, but polygon-based games look hella grainy und ugly.

Speaking of playing PS1 games, I cannot get Retroarch to play PS1 games at all. Am I doing something wrong? I downloaded the Megapack, and I load the .BIN via "Load Content - Detect Core," however it never detects the right core.

Do I need to be putting a BIOS file somewhere? I seem to remember doing this with PCSX/ePSXe

Thanks in advance!

PS - Running Windows verison, bt dubs.

Aeana

Speaking of playing PS1 games, I cannot get Retroarch to play PS1 games at all. Am I doing something wrong? I downloaded the Megapack, and I load the .BIN via "Load Content - Detect Core," however it never detects the right core.

Do I need to be putting a BIOS file somewhere? I seem to remember doing this with PCSX/ePSXe

Thanks in advance!

Did you try manually choosing the right core?

For clarification, if I choose the Mendafen PSX core, then try to load content, the directories my .bin file is in show up blank. Why is that?

Lettuce

Thanks in advance!

Have to place the PSX BIOS files in the system folder, RA needs 3 bios files but can't remember which ones they are, I think if you load the core and go into core info (or settings) it lists which BIOS files are needed and which ones are missing

Card Boy

Banned
2 questions.

• How and where do i put the SegaCD BIOS on RetroPie?
  • How do i configure the Xbox 360 (official pad) controls for GBA games? Every other emulator runs the pad fine but the GBA emulator has switched Start and Select to X and Y and A and B back to front (makes it hard to run and jump in games)

With the GBA Bios i went and put it on the Pi through the network on my PC and dragged the BIOS file into the Rom folder then i went;

cd into the GBA ROM directory
mv gba_bios.bin /opt/retropie/emulators/gpsp/raspberrypi/

but what is the process for SegaCD bios?

Facism

would you need a modded psp for this thing or would a standard psp GO work? I'm fucking fiending for a portable emu machine so i can put the consoles in the attic.

Rich!

Cool. I was just wondering if there was something that I should be doing instead. Always open to improving my Retroarch box

Heh yeah. It also helps reduce clutter in the browser when on auto detect core, as the BIN and ISO files aren't hidden.

How are AMDs APUs for emulation these days? Thinking of putting together a little cheap ITX RetroArch box. Or maybe even a Raspberry Pi? But I'm pretty sure it can't handle filters and shaders.

Has anyone seen "Data Load Fail" issues or save fails in the Desmume core? I can't for the life of me figure out how to change the save type for it.

Ive made a basic setup video for RetroArch showing how to load and save system configs etc if anyone is interested....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHXyGK9DNX4&feature=youtu.be

Theres a link in the description of my video above that has all the shaders, just unzip that and name the folder shaders, then add it to your retroarch directory

Great video. Couldn't get CRT Royale to work, though (the console was spouting garbage about bad references).

Aeana

Great video. Couldn't get CRT Royale to work, though (the console was spouting garbage about bad references).
Do you have an ATI card? Look in the sample user configuration files directory and find one that matches the type of card you have, then copy it out to the same directory as the shader files and rename it to user-settings.h.

Top Bottom