• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RETROARCH - The all-in-one emulator dreams are made of, son

nkarafo

I'm starting to love retroarch but one of the problems i haven't figure out yet is that the mouse cursor is visible when emulating a game. Is there a way to hide it without having to move it away every time i start a game?

Rich!

I'm starting to love retroarch but one of the problems i haven't figure out yet is that the mouse cursor is visible when emulating a game. Is there a way to hide it without having to move it away every time i start a game?

...that's an issue on your end. Sure you've got it properly set as fullscreen? It's dedicated fullscreen, so it shouldnt show the mouse icon at all.

nkarafo

Its weird, but the mouse pointer problem only occurs when i enable an overlay image as a background. Before i do this, the mouse pointer does not exist, by the time the overlay is displayed, the mouse pointer appears and never goes away unless i delete the cfg file for the core and make a new one without an overlay.

Radius4

To reset the overlay press start in the relevant option in RGUI. And yes, it's normal since the overlays are mouse operated in PC

omaroni

LaunchBox is an excellent fronted for retroarch

QQHolsE.jpg

g5vu7Cr.jpg

BKKpB9Q.jpg

Their website

How to set it up for retroarch

John1744

I'd donate some decent money to someone that setup a super easy retroarch package that was prebuilt, so it had all the good filters and overlays setup, you just unzip, throw in your files and it's ready to go. I just can't comprehend how to do all these awesome filters and frontends.

sörine

Banned
Does anyone have experience with compiled builds at emucr? I was thinking about trying the Android 09/04/14 Retroarch from there but was wondering if there was any consensus on the site? Google seems to think they're clean at least.

EasyMode

sörine;129834239 said:
Does anyone have experience with compiled builds at emucr? I was thinking about trying the Android 09/04/14 Retroarch from there but was wondering if there was any consensus on the site? Google seems to think they're clean at least.

There's a fellow on the Libretro boards that uploads Android and Win64 test builds to his dropbox:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/91sakv0qdyxjx9f/AAAKWBfDHBtIQtNfnp4rlyXea?dl=0

I can't speak for Android, but his Windows builds have worked for me. Latest is also 9/4/14.

Radius4

doesnt look suitable for gamepad control, which kinda ruins the entire point of retroarch being a home media suite for me.

Indeed, for me XBMC is the right balance between looks and usability. I went all NIH and added a couple of steam grid views for my XBMC skin of choice

screenshot001.png

screenshot002.png

screenshot003.png

Radius4

Ok I'll describe my setup.
As I said, it's just XBMC with the advanced launcher addon, that addon allows you to use external programs from within XBMC.

I won't go in-depth with the addon but I'll explain the basics. There are two kinds of launchers, Standalone (for games, programs, etc) and File launchers that are ideal for emulators and ROMS since they allow you to select a program and a directory with roms for that program and it can auto populate the list with all your roms.

As for my Retroarch config. I have ONE standard config (I don't use per-core configs since those are erratic sometimes but I'm always experimenting and after 1.1 I might try again) and additional per-core / per-game configs depending on the case.

So, when adding a launcher for a Retroarch platform, I create a File launcher and I add these parameters:

Code:
<application>C:\Emulators\RetroArch\retroarch.exe</application>
<args>"%rom%" --config config\htpc\htpc.cfg --appendconfig config\htpc\htpc_nestopia.cfg -D -L libretro\nestopia_libretro.dll

My config and my libretro dir are inside my retroarch dir so this "just works" with relative paths.

Parameters explained:
* %rom% --- full rompath
* --config config\htpc\htpc.cfg --- name of my MAIN config file
* --appendconfig config\htpc\htpc_nestopia.cfg --- core specific config additions
* -D: --- hide DOS command window
* -L libretro\nestopia_libretro.dll --- core to use

Now, what's important of this setup is the core specific additions. In many cases you want to use different shaders, or a different aspect ratio, or maybe a border overlay for different cores (or games, more into that later). In that case, the appendconfig option is ideal since it appends only what you have in that config, but that file is never written.

That means any changes you make to the setup still save in the MAIN config file, so stuff that is the same for every core such as inputs and paths are always up-to-date on core specific options are not affected. Also, RA by default saves shader changes to a file named the same as your MAIN cfg but with a cgp extension, that means with this setup you can play with shaders without messing up the shader you use and then you can copy it or rename it if you want it to use for a particular game or core.

Generally speaking my core config files have these (and change them accordingly, specially rewind that could be troublesome for some cores):

Code:
video_shader = "shaders\htpc_nes.cgp"
aspect_ratio_index = "21"
game_history_path = "config\htpc\htpc_nes-history.txt"
core_options_path = "config\htpc\htpc_nes-options.cfg"
rewind_enable = "true"

And that's about it, this gives me a lot of flexibility, I have a separate history for NES games this way, so I can load other NES games I have loaded without going back to XBMC, and I can have a core options file for each core when required so it doesn't get too big and hard to figure out.

Also this XBMC addon allows you to override parameters for any particular item of a file based launcher.

This means I could have a custom APPENDCONFIG for a specific game, which in turn allows me to have a custom COREOPTIONS file for that game. It's quite handy since some PSP games for instance are 2D, and those look the best at native resolution with RA shaders. But 3D games look best for me at 1080p output res, 4k internal res and no shaders.

If you want to override arguments for a particular item you need to create your custom configs for that entry, and then in XBMC select the item, go to modify, advanced modifications, and configure the arguments.

Anyway, if you need me to clear up some of this let me know I'm always glad to help

nkarafo

Can anyone tell me, why is Yabause so s-l-o-w?

I have an i5 4670 and every game i played with this core have massive slowdowns and sound stuttering. So, what exactly this emulator needs? A roadrunner supercomputer perhaps? SSF runs full speed on every game i run (as it should, with this CPU). I wonder why they didn't use SSF instead.

Unless there is an option somewhere that i didn't notice it exists.

gelf

I think yabause is very game dependant still. Panzer Zwei runs a good speed on my system (i7 860), at least with the last build I tried. I didn't try it on the retroarch version though.

nkarafo

Panzer Dragoon Zwei crashes RetroaArch for me.

One last question. Is there any way to force the scanlines to appear evenly on screen? In most systems it looks fine but on the Picodrive and Yabause cores, the "easymode" scanlines (or any other scanlines) look uneven. The Integer Scale option doesn't fix it either.

EasyMode

Panzer Dragoon Zwei crashes RetroaArch for me.

One last question. Is there any way to force the scanlines to appear evenly on screen? In most systems it looks fine but on the Picodrive and Yabause cores, the "easymode" scanlines (or any other scanlines) look uneven. The Integer Scale option doesn't fix it either.

What's your display resolution and what games is this effecting?

Awakened

Ok. So, is Yabause slow for everyone then? Meaning that there is not a usable solution for Saturn in RetroArch?
Try going into your Windows Power Options and changing your power plan to High Performance. On my 2500k I can run most games with few sound crackles after I switch to that profile. I haven't had any crashes on PDS either; it's definitely a harder game to keep full speed though.

nkarafo

Try going into your Windows Power Options and changing your power plan to High Performance. On my 2500k I can run most games with few sound crackles after I switch to that profile. I haven't had any crashes on PDS either; it's definitely a harder game to keep full speed though.
I did, but there is no difference in performance. I can run Okami on PCSX2 full speed using software renderer but i cant run saturn games full speed using this emulator :/

Also, my Retro Arch setup crashes on PD Zwei, i don't have Saga.

Awakened

I did, but there is no difference in performance. I can run Okami on PCSX2 full speed using software renderer but i cant run saturn games full speed using this emulator :/

Also, my Retro Arch setup crashes on PD Zwei, not Saga.
Huh, the high performance profile also helps me with PCSX2 stuff. Other than that, you could try turning on the frameskip core option or turning off Hard Sync if you use it.

nkarafo

The frameskip option only makes the games have stutters instead of slow down. I have the Hard Sync option off.

Well, its not that my 4670 CPU struggles or anything... according to task manager, it only takes up around 25-28% of my CPU. I guess that's because only one core is used, the others stay almost idle. If one more core was used, we wouldn't have this conversation.

EasyMode

My resolution is 1360x768 (native) and it affects every game on the picodrive (genesis games) and Yabause cores. I haven't tested all cores however.

That sounds like a plasma resolution. Is the device your running RetroArch on also outputting that resolution, or is it sending something like 720p or 1080p? Because a mismatch in resolutions could contribute to the problem.

I just tested my shader at 1360x768 and noticed scanline issues in various cores, it doesn't do so well at scaling factors less than 4x. I noticed crt-geom had decent scanlines at that resolution.

nkarafo

That sounds like a plasma resolution. Is the device your running RetroArch on also outputting that resolution, or is it sending something like 720p or 1080p? Because a mismatch in resolutions could contribute to the problem.

I just tested my shader at 1360x768 and noticed scanline issues in various cores, it doesn't do so well at scaling factors less than 4x. I noticed crt-geom had decent scanlines at that resolution.
Its an LCD TV. Its full HD, but i use this resolution so i can use my desktop from some distance.

I use this resolution with every core i tested but for some reason, its only these two cores that have uneven scanlines. I will test crt-geom to see if its any better.

Edit: Geom looks weird with some undesired moire effect.

EasyMode

Its an LCD TV. Its full HD, but i use this resolution so i can use my desktop from some distance.

Edit: Geom looks weird with some undesired moire effect.

Ah, I can see why you would do that, but I'm sure it's causing issues. Have you tried 1080p? The shaders should look much better at native resolution.

nkarafo

Ah, I can see why you would do that, but I'm sure it's causing issues. Have you tried 1080p? The shaders should look much better at native resolution.
I haven't tried that yet, no. I'm going to test that and a few other different resolutions and save the ones that work to these particular configs only. But still, why is that i only have a problem with these 2 particular cores and the others look fine, without changing resolution?

Thanks! Is this the 0.9.9.1 version?

nkarafo

Beats me ¯\_(&#12484;)_/¯. I haven't used Yabause, and for Genesis games I use the Genesis Plus GX core.
I think ill do that too. The reason i use Picodrive is only because i used Genesis Plus GX for other Sega systems like Master System and i wanted to have different overlays (since you can only have 1 overlay per core). I will just drop the overlays and use this one core for all 16/8bit Sega systems, assuming the shaders look ok (they are more important than the overlays).

For Saturn, i think i will just stick to Hyperspin and SSF. Yabause is too slow anyway.

Thanks for the responses.

Platy

...Anyone knows what tipo os ios/cios manipulation the retroarch needs on vWii ?

I remember not needing it ... but I snded to a usb drive and it doesn't load =(

Radius4

I haven't tried that yet, no. I'm going to test that and a few other different resolutions and save the ones that work to these particular configs only. But still, why is that i only have a problem with these 2 particular cores and the others look fine, without changing resolution?

Thanks! Is this the 0.9.9.1 version?

it's the latest GIT

So, I finally got retroarch setup and I'm playing around with everything and I can see I can easily change through shaders by pressing the n and m keys... but it's relegated to shaders in the base directory of the shaders folder. Any trick to being able to access all of them this way so I can just spend a couple hours going through and testing them all at my leisure?

Aku-Audi

I was really excited about the MSX inclusion until I saw that the core can't run dsk files :( BlueMSX Wii is still perfect though so no great loss.

Awakened

So, I finally got retroarch setup and I'm playing around with everything and I can see I can easily change through shaders by pressing the n and m keys... but it's relegated to shaders in the base directory of the shaders folder. Any trick to being able to access all of them this way so I can just spend a couple hours going through and testing them all at my leisure?
That seems to be a limitation of that feature. I copied the shaders I wanted to try to my base shader directory and just kept the ones I liked there. Some have dependencies though, so you have to open them in a text editor, then change the paths so they point to the correct area where the files they need are in your shader directory.

Mikeside

So I'm using this on an Xperia Z2 with a DualShock 3 controller and I'm finding the controller really sluggish. Does anyone know why this might be? Controller is fine in Age of Zombies

Mikeside

Have you tried turning on Hard GPU Sync in video options?

I don't see that on the android version

edit: also, after playing with this a lot, it seems to only be some buttons.

DPAD LEFT works fine, but the other directions seem to take ages to register, then are spotty as to whether they do or not
most of the face buttons seem to work fine.

it's incredibly odd.

anyone else got this?

Top Bottom