• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retronauts Podcast Thread

ToastyFrog

Inexplicable Treasure Hate
It sure is. Though, that's based on an actual woodcut called The Dream of the Fisherman's Wife.

I'm a little taken aback by how many people only seem to know that print from Mad Men, but cultural awareness is cultural awareness no matter how it's acquired. The cover idea was actually suggested by Jose from IGN, who hasn't seen the final season of Mad Men yet, so the idea arose totally independent of Peggy's triumphal entry (which, yes, was great).

I'm a little taken aback by how many people only seem to know that print from Mad Men, but cultural awareness is cultural awareness no matter how it's acquired. The cover idea was actually suggested by Jose from IGN, who hasn't seen the final season of Mad Men yet, so the idea arose totally independent of Peggy's triumphal entry (which, yes, was great).

Oh, I've seen the piece before the show, but I assumed you used it specifically for the Mad Men series ending since you once started doing a rewatch of the show on your website and writing about the episodes.

Loved the Mega Man episode ^_^

I really really hope you guys do more Mega Man centric themed episodes. Would love to see another one wrapping up the classic Mega Man series including the Game Boy ones and then a few micro episodes on the spin off series (X, Battle Network, Zero and so on).

Also I think it would be good to look at how Mega Man's Legacy lives on in games of today like Shovel Knight, Mighty Number 9, Gunvolt and whatever else takes heavy inspiration from Mega Man these days.

Also thanks for getting me hooked on the Laser Time stuff, found out about VGMprie when you had Brett for the first time awhile back and now have ended up listening to everything the site puts out.

I didn't really know where to ask but I was going through my past backed projects and don't remember getting the DVD reward for this?
Did I miss it somehow?

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...-your-favorite-classic-gaming-pod/description

Don't worry, everything is still in the works and reaching various stages of completion. We put a priority on producing the podcast, and actually over-delivered on our Kickstarted season, so some of the rewards didn't receive enough attention. You and everyone else will get a survey e-mail when we're ready to start shipping stuff out.

Also thanks for getting me hooked on the Laser Time stuff, found out about VGMprie when you had Brett for the first time awhile back and now have ended up listening to everything the site puts out.

Glad you like them—they're a great group!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
That dig at the Untold History of Japanese Games. lol

I wonder though, given that basically everyone showed up on Retronauts back in the day, why does Jeremy think that it was looked down on?
All I really remember was the fake rivalry between GFW and Retronauts.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Man, I guess it's funny that I listened to the podcast earlier and then a few hours later, a bundle launches with all of Scroll and the Untold History book. I'm sure anyone reading this thread will already have Scroll, but just in case (and since the thread I made about it is doomed to die), here's the link.

https://storybundle.com/games

Jeremy is way too hard on himself in regards to the early Retronauts episodes. While I agree that the quality has gotten much better over the years, those early episodes are certainly still worth listening to, as I still do on occasion. But I guess we're all our own worst critics.

I've been listening to a mix of older and new episodes. Great stuff. I've been listening since the very first original show. I need to support on Patreon...

Shy

There should be a patron goal to get Scott sharkey back on
I was just thinking about Sharkey last night. lol ( o_0 no, not like that, you lot need to get your minds out of the gutter. )

does anyone know which of the patreon episodes had him in it, i don't remember and wanted to listen to it. Please.

mattp

sharkey posts on twitter every once and a while

no clue what he's up to, though

they need to get frank cifaldi on some episodes again
and that ray barnholt guy

BearChair

sharkey posts on twitter every once and a while

no clue what he's up to, though

they need to get frank cifaldi on some episodes again
and that ray barnholt guy

I'd love to hear Frank on again too, but it seems a bit unlikely.

The topic came up on Twitter a few years ago, and he and Bob didn't get along too well.

https://twitter.com/bobservo/status/380102648721969153

Granted that was a while back, so maybe the two of them have gotten closer since then.

That dig at the Untold History of Japanese Games. lol

I wonder though, given that basically everyone showed up on Retronauts back in the day, why does Jeremy think that it was looked down on?
All I really remember was the fake rivalry between GFW and Retronauts.

Heh, they still got some of that sauce.

No, seriously, I mentioned that on USGamer on this episode, but I'm glad that guys doing that as there aren't that many VG history books that isn't what they mentioned in the show (shallow and regurgitated common facts in a whizz bing! sorta way as if it's still 1990), and for alot of reasons.

ToastyFrog

Inexplicable Treasure Hate
I don't recall us taking a shot at Untold History? Or maybe I was just oblivious to someone else's remark.

In any case, our next batch of recording sessions will feature both Cifaldi and Kohler, so there ya go. I've been meaning to get them on forever, but we never had suitable topics.

Rlan

I don't recall us taking a shot at Untold History? Or maybe I was just oblivious to someone else's remark.

In any case, our next batch of recording sessions will feature both Cifaldi and Kohler, so there ya go. I've been meaning to get them on forever, but we never had suitable topics.

I think it was Ray digging at the Console Wars book, re: "writing fan fiction".

(Still a great book, though)

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Great to hear Kohler and Cifaldi will return. But you guys need Sharkey as well, as somebody said earlier, that guy didnt give a fuck - and was awesome for it. He could be on and not give a fuck about basically anything, so no need to wait!

mattp

yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeah

also, hearing ray on the fan mail episode just made me realize i wish ray was still on every episode

firehawk12

Subete no aware

Ray was talking about being bored with dry, facts only books and said something along the lines of not wanting to read the Untold History of Compile's Corporate Memos. I mean, given the title and the fact that he said it was dry, I just assumed he was talking about the real Untold History book.

Fireblend

Banned
I thought the listener questions podcast was great, but damn at the MMBN3 hate. The game's great! I can't stay mad at anyone that likes Klonoa games though.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Been listening to the entire backlog of the old retronauts, though the dump I got of it has them in a totally bananas order. It's fun as hell bouncing around with the optimism and complaints of the weekly Virtual Console releases, plus looking how long this podcast has been around and how much new retro there actually is. I just finished the Playstation episode for example, which was done on the release week of the PS3, basically 12 years apart. It's now been 15 years since the launch of PS2! It's now hella retro. Heck I listened to the Dreamcast mega episode, which was on the 9th anniversary of the Dreamcast, so by that definition this fall the Wii and PS3 would be retro!

Been listening to the entire backlog of the old retronauts, though the dump I got of it has them in a totally bananas order. It's fun as hell bouncing around with the optimism and complaints of the weekly Virtual Console releases, plus looking how long this podcast has been around and how much new retro there actually is. I just finished the Playstation episode for example, which was done on the release week of the PS3, basically 12 years apart. It's now been 15 years since the launch of PS2! It's now hella retro. Heck I listened to the Dreamcast mega episode, which was on the 9th anniversary of the Dreamcast, so by that definition this fall the Wii and PS3 would be retro!

You know some kind soul uploaded all of our old episodes to archive.org, right?

https://archive.org/details/Retronauts1-100

https://archive.org/details/RetronautsLivePrimeOther

Just finished the episode, really enjoyed it.
The PlayStation era is one of my fondest, so many interesting and exciting games were being made, and I got to try a whole bunch of them thanks to OAPSM demo discs. It was wonderful listening to some of the history behind the console and people instrumental in it.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
So many warm fuzzies thinking about the PS1 era now. I guess that's what happens when it's been 15-20 years ago.

What a great console. Im happy the FFVII bomb dropped and sent the memo that he true successor the the NES and SNES was actually Playstation. I bought mine on Sept 5, 1997. The fact that SotN, Parappa, FF Tactics and RE2 came in the following months just sealed the deal. A golden era of gaming.

I'm happy to say I have a sizeable collection with all of my favorite hits, U.S. and Japanese. There are always more to grab, though!

Great to have Shane back always. Shame about Iwata. I think it's interesting to see them react in real time though.

Edit: just got to the part where Jeremy perpetuates the rumour that the launch PS1 is some god like CD player. Sorry ToastyFrog... It's okay, but that's mostly an audiophile urban legend.

Harlock

I will have to listen the Playstation episode in the computer. The sound volume was too low to hear with street noises around. Chrontendo episode also have problems with the audio quality.

Curufinwe

PS1 demo discs were huge to me as a poor University student in the late 90s. I got hours and hours of the Wipeout 2097 demo which really helped when I rented the game.

krae_man

I rented an Import PS1 too. My local Microplay got that and a Japanese N64. Going on the waiting list took forever but it was soo worth it.

mattp

haha ok good, so its not just me
i noticed today my car stereo was almost turned all the way up when listening to retronauts so i kept fiddling with my phone thinking it was something there
but its just that the episode is quiet haha

Top Bottom