• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retronauts Podcast Thread

aett

Not super far into the music episode yet, but I'm enjoying it. The backer guest is doing a really good job of staying involved and being knowledgeable.

I'm about 40 minutes into it myself, and I agree about the backer guest. He's doing a better job than some of the non-backer guests, at least in terms of being familiar enough with the topic to stay involved and helpful.

ToastyFrog

Inexplicable Treasure Hate
Well I'm not losing faith just yet. Hopefully its just delays that all this will introduce.

Yeah, we're still working on the physical rewards. But life has been slipperier than any of us expected. They'll come later than intended, but they're absolutely happening -- most likely by year's end. The design and logistics of shirts/buttons/stickers are all locked down, and the other physical goods will fall into place, too.

The live streams are going to be trickier in light of my moving, but we'll figure it out. Really, our biggest question mark is what the third live appearance will be.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Yeah, we're still working on the physical rewards. But life has been slipperier than any of us expected. They'll come later than intended, but they're absolutely happening -- most likely by year's end. The design and logistics of shirts/buttons/stickers are all locked down, and the other physical goods will fall into place, too.

The live streams are going to be trickier in light of my moving, but we'll figure it out. Really, our biggest question mark is what the third live appearance will be.

Thanks Jeremy! Great work on the shows so far. As a Pink Floyd fan I also enjoyed the Prog Rock episode. One of my great sadnesses about the death of the plastic guitar genre is that it happened before I got my Rock Band: Pink Floyd.

I patiently await your continued works, along with the DVD. I plan to add it to my shelf next to a custom DVD I have of 1Up Retronauts Bonus Stage episodes!

Harlock

In PC gaming Wing Commander was one of killer games for you get a sound card. Even the openning scene was a conductor in front of the orchestra. In 1990.

I found this video about WC opening in SoundBlaster vs Roland MT-32. The Roland make a big difference.

16371-wing-commander-ii-vengeance-of-the-kilrathi-dos-screenshot.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JqZlQwfCWM

And I believe that WC2 had a speech accessory pack release.

JLynn

I listened to the music episode of Retronauts and I love it. However I wanted to clarify a couple of things.

The guest host mentioned that Biz Markie lost a court case when he sampled Escape (The Pina Colada Song) without permission. It wasn't that song. It was Gilbert O'Sullivan's Alone Again (Naturally).

O'Sullivan's performance of the song.

Biz Markie's rendition called "Alone Again"

That and The Turtles vs. De La Soul and Tommy Boy Records changed the way music makers approach samples.

Ray Barnholdt mentioned in the DBZ Budokai HD remix game all of the music was replaced. It's because the original composer Kenji Yamamoto plagiarized more than just the Budokai games. He basically plagiarize all of his music he composed for Dragon Ball related properties going from the early 90's with Super Butoden 1 on the SFC all the way to the recent DBZ Kai series. Yamamoto ripped off more than just an obscure Swedish composer. He ripped off Pink Floyd and Zeppelin among many other well known musicians.

Dragon Ball fansite Kazenshuu has possibly the most in depth article of Yamamoto's plagiarized compositions in English.

Dylan

Nice! I loved those games when they came out. Looking back I always consider them to be of the "Wes Anderson movies of RPG's".

Great episode, even including Bob's bad pun with my last name :p

I really wish Illusion of Time would come out on the downloadable services somewhere, I would love to buy that game again one day.

Now hopefully next Kickstarter I can get an episode about N64 Puzzle games through :D

Finished up the music episode. While I missed talk about where video game music is and is going this generation, the discussion about YMO and the popularity of VGM in Japan (plus its resulting feedback loop with the games themselves) is very necessary.

That's the key deciding factor as to why Koshiro or Sugiyama are institutions there and to a lesser extent worldwide as institutions whereas the writers of such greatness like this are largely forgotten, underappreciated, or not sought after for more work based on this wonder. Only the luminaries of the Amiga/C64/Amistrad crews like Hulsbeck and Follins get clout. Past that, its the drive for movie-like tapioca mood pieces luring away greats from doing the great compositions they did starting out, the lack of accolades for their great work being too little to build a name from, or just leaving the industry entirely.

New episode up, and it's MY ONE :D

http://www.retronauts.com/?p=383

All about Quintet (Illusion of Time/Gaia)

Listening now and am hyped

This is always a good topic.

D-e-f-

Banned
Those guys are missing out on Terranigma (though IoG is my favorite quintet game, and my second favorite game overall.)

They need to really really play this game. It's like missing out on Chrono Trigger or Earthbound. Yes, I'm putting it on the same pedestal as those two. Come at me, I ain't scared of you. Best SNES RPG. #shotsfired

wrowa

Great episode, but the lack of Terranigma pains. I think it's easily the best game they've put out and the lack of talking time is especially sad since Parish said some really interesting things about IoG. Would have loved to hear his thoughts on Terranigma.

Not super far into the music episode yet, but I'm enjoying it. The backer guest is doing a really good job of staying involved and being knowledgeable.
Just finished that episode and I agree. I was concerned about awkwardness with a backer guest, but he knew his shit and fit right in. Great episode.

mattp

Great episode, but the lack of Terranigma pains. I think it's easily the best game they've put out and the lack of talking time is especially sad since Parish said some really interesting things about IoG. Would have loved to hear his thoughts on Terranigma.

Jeremy Parish ‏@gamespite 11h
I shouldn't have, but today I sank $100 into procuring the Soul Blazer trilogy. With the English-language version of Terranigma, yep.

D-e-f-

Banned
Jeremy Parish ‏@gamespite 11h
I shouldn't have, but today I sank $100 into procuring the Soul Blazer trilogy. With the English-language version of Terranigma, yep.

Only $100? Sounds like he got a great deal! I hope he knows about Terranigma's adapter-unfriendly region lock chip (afaik, there's only one specific Action Replay that let's you play it on a NTSC system).

aett

Every time Jeremy drops a bunch of money on a rare game, it gets released on VC (or PSN/XBLA), so now there's hope for official VC releases of the Soul Blazer trilogy!

ToastyFrog

Only $100? Sounds like he got a great deal! I hope he knows about Terranigma's adapter-unfriendly region lock chip (afaik, there's only one specific Action Replay that let's you play it on a NTSC system).

Yeah, I had Terranigma back in the '90s and eventually gave up on playing it legitimately. But now I have my fingers crossed that the Retron 5 will kick that chip's ass. If not, at least I don't have to feel guilty about emulating it.

Anyway, y'all, new episode: http://www.retronauts.com/?p=391

BearChair

New Episode is up.

The first chunk of this podcast contains a discussion of the fan translation scene in general, and the remaining 90 minutes counts down the top 12 fan translations you should play before you die or lose interest (whichever happens first). Helping us out on this one are special guests Brett Elston and Chris Antista, who you may know from their time at GamesRadar, or their podcasts on the Laser Time Network. We’d like to thank them again for helping out, and tolerating the frequent Garage Band crashes that plagued this recording. And this episode wouldn’t even be a thing without listener Aaron Davies, who generously donated (and allowed me to suggest a topic) to make it happen. That said, please download, enjoy, and be sure to leave us your comments about this episode!

Retronauts Volume III Episode 8: The Fan Translation Scene

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Welp, gotta give this a listen.

Wonder if it touches on Fatal Frame 4? I still gotta get me an extra Wii I can Homebrew so I can play the import I bought with the fan translation subtitle patch.

What a world...

Rlan

Ray mentioned Zophar's Domain and I had a nostalgia attack.

That and EmulationZone.org, which I ran a site on.

bigkrev

List of games discussed (I spoilered it because someone might get pissy)

Metal Wolf Chaos (Xbox)
iS-Internal Section (PSX)
Wonder Project J (SNES)
Gunman's Proof (SNES)
Clock Tower (SNES)
Famicom Detective Club 2 (SNES)
Sweet Home (NES)
Radical Dreamers (SNES)
Seiken Densetsu 3 (SNES)
Earthbound Zero (NES)
Policenauts (PSX)
Mother 3 (GBA)

I'm probably going to try Famicom Detective Club 2 on my phone or something. Game looks super interesting.

Auskeek

Definitely one of my favorite episodes so far, the
Radical Dreamers
(It feels weird spoiler tagging a podcast, but I guess not knowing the games makes the podcast more fun) really brought me back to my high school years.

IrishNinja

fantastic episode; learned about some games i wasn't aware of, and the ending bits about what projects they'd all like to see had Moon & Segaga both, which was cool to hear. this really was a great topic.

edit retro game challenge 2, damn

Imbarkus

Okay I backed Retro before I got my Retronauts swag because I have faith. Don't let me down!

mattp

is jeremy gonna skype in from north carolina from now on?
also, i hope jeremy being on the east coast means they'll do an eastcoast(nyc?) retronauts live panel

ToastyFrog

is jeremy gonna skype in from north carolina from now on?
also, i hope jeremy being on the east coast means they'll do an eastcoast(nyc?) retronauts live panel

I have a bunch of recording gear in my new office specifically for the purpose. For episodes that I'm hosting, my intention is to be present in SF. We actually recorded episodes 10/Pocket 10 and 13/Pocket 13 in advance to hold us over through January. I wasn't on this latest episode not because of the move, but because I was at TGS... which I made up for by recording a completely rad episode while in Japan (please look forward to it).

Also, our goal has always been to have at least one of our three panels happen in the eastern time zone -- just need to figure out which event makes sense.
That's where he moved? Living in the South must be a bit an adjustment.

I spent 20+ years in Texas. So far the hardest adjustment I've had to deal with has been the lack of Chinese laundromats every other block. I took convenient dry cleaning for granted in SF.

krae_man

Bob's wrestling knowledge is growing. He knew about David Schultz and what a Power Bomb is. Add that to his prior knowledge of an RKO and he's just a Yappa Pie away from being a wrestling aficionado.

GhaleonQ

fantastic episode; learned about some games i wasn't aware of, and the ending bits about what projects they'd all like to see had Moon & Segaga both, which was cool to hear. this really was a great topic.

edit retro game challenge 2, damn

Yeah! I was disappointed when I looked at the song list and it seemed like nothing newer than Mother 3 would get out there. And then...

Ray has known about it longer than I did, but I had no idea he was such a Lovedelic fan! He namedropped a ton of their games.

AND THEN HE DROPPED THE FOREST OF BEGINNING (an "adventure" graphic adventure by Pax Softnica, the Shin Onigashima and Yuyuki people).

This is why he's the best.

MOON TRANSLATION UPDATE: It is in basically done (1 major bug, a few items) and in beta. Does anyone want to beta test? I'm stuck until January. That's the only thing preventing its release. (I should say that I although I did rip off Nico Nico Doga and then rip my own soundtracks and upload them all to YouTube, I did not help with this translation. I'm just its herald.)

Bob's wrestling knowledge is growing. He knew about David Schultz and what a Power Bomb is. Add that to his prior knowledge of an RKO and he's just a Yappa Pie away from being a wrestling aficionado.

I feel like matching Fire Pro Wrestling stand-ins for their real-life counterparts seems like exactly the sort of thing he'd like, to be fair.

I'm probably going to try Famicom Detective Club 2 on my phone or something. Game looks super interesting.

Just expect a traditional Japanese-style graphic adventure game rather than the pacing of Spike's/Chunsoft's/Capcom's, and you will really love the series.

You would also really enjoy Wonder Project J 1 and 2.

Weird that the last few have involved games that most of the people haven't played. Good episode, though.

I'm still holding out hope that the retronauts gang does a panel as the Midwest gaming classic in Wisconsin one year.

Top Bottom