• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro's website

My perspective is that a game developer doesn't need a website outside of basic talent management.

Publishers and franchises? Sure. Website away.

No time to make a proper website when you're SAVING NINTENDO

Everything they touch is gold, but they can't save nintendo at 2/3/4 years between games.

And every time they move to a new franchise, this hunger for stuff only retro can do so well is only going to get worse.

TunaLover

Well, all their games are promoted by Nintendo own page, and they release specific web pages by game. Having a nice looking page is not a priority.

methodman

Banned
wish retro was big enough to release a game a year or year and a half. waiting 3-5 years for every release sucks so bad

I've never been to their website and there's no direct url in the OP, so i'm presuming (before I go look) that it's a geocities layout full of gif files and a starey night background.

wish retro was big enough to release a game a year or year and a half. waiting 3-5 years for every release sucks so bad

Then the games wouldn't be as good, and you wouldn't care as much. Just look at EA and Ubisoft games and their "design by the numbers".

Make thread about Retro website.
Don't include link to Retro website.
Do include link to Retro twitter page to complain about Retro website.

Well, I sent them a message. Told them it looked "janky" based on OP.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Make thread about Retro website.
Don't include link to Retro website.
Do include link to Retro twitter page to complain about Retro website.

Well, I sent them a message. Told them it looked "janky" based on OP.
Probably should've included it but you know, Google works too. No need to be an ass about it.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
They are working on it, at least so they told me a while ago on their Facebook page. As for the page itself in its current state, it is quite bad. Elements that have no benefit of being in an image format are in an image format (heavily compressed JPEG even), some arbitrary techniques, such as image maps, are used and the blog format looks unappealing.

With the opportunities HTML5 provides nowadays, I think they should go for as simple code as possible and move away from Flash and Javascript as much as they can. Some things to think about:

• Design for One Web
  • Rely on Web standards
  • Stay away from known hazards
  • Be cautious of device limitations
  • Optimize navigation
  • Check graphics & colors
  • Keep it small
  • Help & guide user input
I would create some examples but as their logo is very difficult to find in vector format I feel I wouldn't be able to present a high quality site.

Sponge

Banned
Retro gives us what lots of people were asking for years (bring back Donkey Kong Country). They make a sequel and it's hated because it's not Metroid.

Retro gave us three Metroid games. Gimme a break. I had to deal with stuff like King of Swing, Barrel Blast, and Donkey Konga for years. You guys will get another good Metroid one day.

Lunar15

Their site could look like a goddamn geocities page with thousands of animated dancing babies and I'd still love them to death.

pvpness

god dammit, I hope so but I sincerely doubt it. the DKC hate was real :(

Damn straight it's real. Fucking Donkey Kong sucks. Not the games, which are crafted in the best-in-class Forge. Just Donkey Kong and his shitty friends. I grimace every time I unlock a DK trophy in smash.

I don't want Retro to work on Metroid either, for the record. If they could stay as far away from it as possible I'd be happy.

AdanVC

Is just an ok website. They are stablished developers working for Nintendo so I guess they don't need an attractive website to attract third party customers for upcoming projects/games. But yeah I feel like I'm in 2004 with that website template. Damn.

Top Bottom