• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reuters French watchdog halts iPhone 12 sales over too-high radiation

Bernoulli

M2 slut

PARIS, Sept 12 (Reuters) - Apple must stop selling its iPhone 12 model in France due to above-threshold radiation levels, France's junior minister for the digital economy told newspaper Le Parisien in an interview published on Tuesday.

France's radiation watchdog ANFR notified Apple of its decision to ban iPhone 12 sales after it had carried out tests which showed the smartphone's Specific Absorption Rate (SAR) was slightly higher than legally allowed, Jean-Noel Barrot told the paper.

Apple did not immediately reply to a Reuters request for comment.

Barrot said a software update would be sufficient to fix the radiation issues linked to the phone which the U.S. company has been selling since 2020.

"Apple is expected to respond within two weeks", he said, adding: "If they fail to do so, I am prepared to order a recall of all iPhones 12 in circulation. The rule is the same for everyone, including the digital giants."

The European Union has set safety limits for SAR values linked to exposure to mobile phones, which could increase the risk of some forms of cancer according to scientific studies.

The French watchdog will now pass on its findings to regulators in other EU member states. "In practical terms, this decision could have a snowball effect", said Barrot.

In 2020, France widened regulations requiring retailers to display the radiation value of products on packaging beyond cell phones, including tablets and other electronic devices.

HoodWinked

a little late, iPhone 15 was announced.

but i doubt its anything, EU nations just from time to time arbitrarily enforce some rule/regulation/law to let the world know they exist and to be punitive to some US mega cap.

Cyberpunkd

Stupid EU regulations keeping mega corps in check to be better for people, devices should be able to give out as much radiation as possible! How dare they stifle technology like this!
Imagine all the innovation from mutated cells in your brain!

Aaron Paul Progress GIF by HULU

Last edited:

HoodWinked

Stupid EU regulations keeping mega corps in check to be better for people, devices should be able to give out as much radiation as possible! How dare they stifle technology like this!
It's non ionizing radiation. I wouldn't be surprised if it even helps Apple since it may push people to upgrade their phones now. Trade in your Radioactive iPhone 12 and get $200 off your purchase of an iPhone 15.

also the radiation falls off alot by distance so a headset if its a concern.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Took then now to figure this out and not when they launched and supposedly test them, then, did they. All these years later, eh?

Bernoulli

M2 slut

We will issue a software update for users in France to accommodate the protocol used by French regulators. We look forward to iPhone 12 continuing to be available in France. This is related to a specific testing protocol used by French regulators and not a safety concern.
Officials from Belgium, Germany, and Italy have asked Apple to issue this update to the whole of the EU, so that's probably what will happen.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Took then now to figure this out and not when they launched and supposedly test them, then, did they. All these years later, eh?
They did test them at launch and they met the correct threshold. This is why they think a software update can fix it, because the increase must have been caused by a software update.

Bernoulli

M2 slut
They did test them at launch and they met the correct threshold. This is why they think a software update can fix it, because the increase must have been caused by a software update.
now imagine how many phones are way above threshold after software updates
cancer is no joke now that we have phones everywhere in our pockets

BlackTron

I wonder what the radiation level is, and whether my random Android device is .001% under the freak out threshold. If it is, I'm golden!

Seriously though, this is really the main reason I use speaker, and I think about how close it is to my head every time I'm in a public/social setting and don't (because I'm not one of those people)

ahtlas7

I don’t believe a company like Apple doesn’t know updates to functions have potential to increase radiation. BS. This needs investigation to prevent this behavior in the future. Regulations to require testing on updates. It’s easy so no excuses.

Remember stories of when everyone smoked and everyone was assured all was well. We don’t need that with our phones. Fix the loophole.

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
This will mean there'll be even more people on trains holding their phones at arms length conducting a conversation over speakerphone. It's an absolute joy.

Season 6 Reaction GIF by The Office

K' Dash

I’m a grown fucking man and hate green bubbles. It’s an inferior texting platform that fucks up everything for everyone on iPhones.
If you’re a grow fucking man that cares about this I’d recommend therapy.

What kind of beta bitch nerd do you have to be to care about this? I feel embarrassed for you.

Synless

If you’re a grow fucking man that cares about this I’d recommend therapy.

What kind of beta bitch nerd do you have to be to care about this? I feel embarrassed for you.
Im not angry about it. I’m saying it’s noticeable and annoying. It’s not a therapy thing, it’s just a fact that’s it’s inferior and fucking sucks. There is a reason google has tried and failed multiple times to create a messaging system on par with iOS’ system.

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
I’m a grown fucking man and hate green bubbles. It’s an inferior texting platform that fucks up everything for everyone on iPhones.
Each to their own, but from my time with iMessage it's not been the most feature-filled message system out there and I'm glad it's not the default in the UK. I don't even have a single group chat on it. Basic things like reactions are so limited.

I just wish Facebook didn't buy WhatsApp and/or that people were happy to switch to Telegram/Signal.

YCoCg

Im not angry about it. I’m saying it’s noticeable and annoying. It’s not a therapy thing, it’s just a fact that’s it’s inferior and fucking sucks. There is a reason google has tried and failed multiple times to create a messaging system on par with iOS’ system.
It fails because Apple don't want to work with it, they literally need Apple to adopt the new standards for it to work but Apple is all like "nah I'm good, this war helps us" and it doesn't pick up elsewhere in the world because everyone else uses other dual platform services (WhatsApp, Signal, Telegram, etc), it just seems to be Americans who struggle with that concept and instead get played by Apple into fighting a war over something as dumb as Blue vs Green message bubbles.

Synless

It fails because Apple don't want to work with it, they literally need Apple to adopt the new standards for it to work but Apple is all like "nah I'm good, this war helps us" and it doesn't pick up elsewhere in the world because everyone else uses other dual platform services (WhatsApp, Signal, Telegram, etc), it just seems to be Americans who struggle with that concept and instead get played by Apple into fighting a war over something as dumb as Blue vs Green message bubbles.
Why shouldn’t Apple do their own thing? I struggle to see why that’s an issue. Why should Americans have to use shit like whatsapp that is heavily controlled by seedier organizations or where less trustworthy governments have their hands in that data?

Nah, I’m good.

Last edited:

YCoCg

Why shouldn’t Apple do their own thing?
Nobody is saying they can't, but it's also silly to blame Android users for "green bubbles" when Apple haven't updated their standards to modern RMS and are still using SMS that's over 15 years old. For a company that want's to push innovation and tech standards it's a little odd that's the one area they're happy to remain using 2007 code. It'd be such a simple thing to update too but then that would get rid of the green bubbles.

Why should Americans have to use shit like whatsapp that is heavily controlled by seedier organizations or where less trustworthy governments have their hands in that data?
I mean it depends on the region, Americans don't have to use WhatsApp, that's mainly the European majority one, why can't Americans use Signal? That one is designed for privacy and is very trusted. Most of these services introduced end to end encryption long before Apple did too with iMessage.

Nah, I’m good.
And that's what Apple wants most Americans to think, look how defensive you've got over this, all over something that has a basic fix if ONE company updated to modern standards, instead Apple keep that one area using 2007 code so they can promote the Blue Vs Green Bubbles thing as a way to demonstrate that Android users have "less features" and THEY'RE the ones with outdated tech. When in reality Android phones have been more than capable of the features for damn well over a decade but it's only when communicating with Apple devices it has to drop down to lower standards because, well, Apple devices don't have the features for the modern code on basic messaging.

YCoCg

I'm trying to think of a conspiracy theory that would validate this point, IF Apple wanted to force people to upgrade then it's not exactly a good look for them to get the EU to declare their old phones are radioactive.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I'm trying to think of a conspiracy theory that would validate this point, IF Apple wanted to force people to upgrade then it's not exactly a good look for them to get the EU to declare their old phones are radioactive.
Clustered dirty bombs subscription.

Mistake

I'm pretty sure apple is past the point of appearances by now. I don't think they'd care tbh

Top Bottom