• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Revenue and Downloads for every Sony first-party game ever released on the PSN (580+ titles, as of June 11, 2023)

Topher

Gold Member
Good to see The Last of Us Part 2 doing well.

Zach Galifianakis Thumbs Up GIF

bitbydeath

Days Gone @ 13 and no sequel. It's a crime.

It absolutely should get one….

Wild that days gone didn’t get a sequel when you look at this.

Still possible, was it confirmed what game Bend Studio is currently working on?

They could have two Studios as well.

Even if Days Gone didn't make a lot of money, it seems that a lot of people played it. If they can make a sequel that corrects the errors of the original game and comes out in good condition, they could sell quite well. However, not only Sony, it seems that Bend studio doesn't want to know anything more. from Days gone and its creator is gone

"Days Gone creative director and writer John Garvin said that, if you love a game and want a sequel, you should "buy it at f****** full price." As reported by VGC, Garvin was a guest on God of War creator's David Jaffe's YouTube show and discussed many topics regarding Days Gone and his time in the video game industry."

It didn't generate enough money to warrant a sequel. Lots of revisionist history with that game.

First thoughts too. Where's our sequel!
A lot of people talking about Days Gone 2 here, let’s look at what has occurred to date:

- Jason Schrier said Bend were working on a new Uncharted game with ND which is still yet to surface.

- John Garvin (former writer of Days Gone), admits (in an interview with David Jaffe) he already wrote Days Gone 2, and a strong outline for more potential sequels beyond that too.

- Jeff Ross (former Director of Days Gone), confirmed (in an interview with David Jaffe) DG1 sold over 8m copies, and Days Gone 2 in development up til he left Bend.

- Herman Hulst confirms Bend are working on a new IP. (Note: It is not stipulated as the only game they are working on.)

- Sony confirms they are working on a Days Gone movie.

- Epic Games release a photo of an untitled UE5 game about developers pushing boundaries.

wiktor-ohman-3-copy.jpg

I’m not saying it’s happening, but we don’t know everything.

Last edited:

Unknown?

GT7 is definitely gonna outsell Sport once it's said and done. It might not reach 20 million but my best bet would be 15-17m copies sold world wide. This is the only 1st party IP left from the PS1 era that's still on the top 10. Crazy longevity.
It will surpass GT3.

Perrott

Gold Member
- Jason Schrier said Bend were working on a new Uncharted game with ND which is still yet to surface.

That's never going to surface because, as Schreier said in his reporting, the Uncharted project stopped being explored as Bend's next title in favor of the studio pursuing a new IP instead.

Bend's [...] studio leadership asked to be taken off the Uncharted project. They got their wish last month [March 2021] and are now working on a new game of their own that will be part of a brand new franchise.

The Bend Studio Uncharted project was also referenced in files found in the Insomniac leak, where Bend were looking at and comparing the expenses of doing either Days Gone 2 or the Uncharted game.

And since Bend's job openings from February of this year explicitly mentioned that the studio is pivoting from a developer of story-driven games to a live-service studio, I wouldn't count on Days Gone 2 (at least as it would've been initially conceived by Garvin and Ross) happening either. If anything Days Gone-related comes out of Bend themselves, it'd be an open-world multiplayer along the likes of Red Dead Online.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

And since Bend's job openings from February of this year explicitly mentioned that the studio is pivoting from a developer of story-driven games to a live-service studio, I wouldn't count on Days Gone 2 (at least as it would've been initially conceived by Garvin and Ross) happening either.
Coincidentally that was what they had planned for Days Gone 2, they also wanted that feature in Days Gone 1.

nial

Gold Member
335k digital copies of Gran Turismo 7 sold in Japan, and around the same time in June 2023 the physical sales were sitting at 317k, but just for the PS5. I think it's nearing 1M units sold in Japan alone when combining PS4 + PS5 (digital & physical).

17./20. [PS5] Gran Turismo 7 # <RCE> (Sony Interactive Entertainment) {2022.03.04} (¥7.900) - 3.559 / 317.672 <80-100%> (+56%)
Actually, SIEJA also includes sales in South Korea, China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan and Southeast Asia. I do think it could be at 1M for now, though; Ghost of Tsushima, which sold 1M units in Japan, had a similar physical-digital ratio.

Last edited:
Shows how much of a joke Gaf is when it comes to business-related stuff.

If they generate even more revenue with their GaaS strategy, we will see benefits across the board.
There should be more interactive computer media from Sony that’s more than just games. A Gran Turismo with full driving school software should be at every DMV. Dreams should be at every school for STEM classes, VR workout software, etc. I feel with huge amounts of GaaS money, it will allow for interactive media be more wide spread than just “gamers”.

Man, those VR titles did horribly. Most, if not all, of them surely didn't manage to break even with those numbers. No wonder why the investment in PSVR2 first-party titles is near-zero compared to the prior headset.

It's also pretty clear why they abandoned their indie publishing operations across NA, EU and JP. One or two million dollars (at most) of lifetime revenue aren't worth the pain in the ass.
shock... from last month: '

Sony Hits Pause on PSVR2 Production as Unsold Inventory Piles Up​

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...psvr2-production-as-unsold-inventory-piles-up

if you can't sell the platform, you can't sell games for it...

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

This isn't a leak... this is a demolition of hopes and dreams.

I now understand why Bloodborne has never got that patch and why it will never get a sequel. Loud minorities indeed....

I know this is only digital, but other than a few big names titles i find the majority of numbers extremely low… Also the psvr titles sales numbers are just terrible. Is this 100% confirmed?

Mr.Phoenix

Do these games breakeven? We know that AAA games are very expensive to develop these days.
Of course, a majority of them not just break even but make a healthy profit. Also, remember that everything you are seeing here is just one-half of the sales equation. (not half as in 50-50... but you get my point).

Also, not all games have a Spiderman 2-sized budget to make.

nial

Gold Member

I now understand why Bloodborne has never got that patch and why it will never get a sequel. Loud minorities indeed....
They will be giving it the remake treatment at PS6 launch.
I think people forget how easy we have it now, as you can play Bloodborne on PS5 right now, whereas for playing Demon's Souls on PS4, you need to have a Japanese console/account, AND do it through cloud streaming.

Sleepwalker

A lot of people talking about Days Gone 2 here, let’s look at what has occurred to date:

- John Garvin (former writer of Days Gone), admits (in an interview with David Jaffe) he already wrote Days Gone 2, and a strong outline for more potential sequels beyond that too.

- Jeff Ross (former Director of Days Gone), confirmed (in an interview with David Jaffe) DG1 sold over 8m copies, and Days Gone 2 in development up til he left Bend.

- Herman Hulst confirms Bend are working on a new IP. (Note: It is not stipulated as the only game they are working on.)

- Sony confirms they are working on a Days Gone movie.

- Epic Games release a photo of an untitled UE5 game about developers pushing boundaries.

wiktor-ohman-3-copy.jpg

I’m not saying it’s happening, but we don’t know everything.
I choose to believe.

Perrott

Gold Member
All but Blood & Truth and Astro Bot Rescue Mission, the latter which managed to outsell some non-VR SCEI games like Tokyo Jungle, Puppeteer and Monkey King: Hero is Back.
And even then, I'd argue they weren't worth the opportunity cost of not having Asobi and the now defunct London Studio working on actual console titles with a larger budget (and as a result of that, higher appeal), which seemed to have done way better then any VR or PSN game by default.

Uh, not really.

This leak only speaks of Bloodborne's performance on the PS Store (3.5M units sold and over 80M in digital sales revenue, just as much as Uncharted 4), but thanks to another document disclosed from the Insomniac hack, we know that the game sold an additional of over 4M retail copies, for a total of over 7.6M lifetime units sold and 260M in overall revenue (just as much as Days Gone, but on a much smaller budget than Bend's title = high profits).

If anything, Bloodborne was actually Japan Studio's biggest homerun in their entire history.

Last edited:

Perrott

Gold Member
oh, I think you need glasses.
Nah, from another document we know it had sold nearly 11M copies by March 2022, a whole year before the show came out and two years before the remaster, and generated around 450M in overall revenue by that point.

The game's budget was in the ballpark of 200-220M dollars as we learned from poorly redacted Sony documents from the FTC trial for the Activision Blizzard acquisition. It was also released in the early months of the pandemic, when pretty much the whole world was under lockdown, so the marketing spendings were likely cut down when compared to a proper, full-scale promotional campaign with real-life advertisements, such as the ones deployed for the releases of God of War: Ragnarök and Marvel's Spider-Man 2.

I'd say this puts the break even at 300M, which it has far exceeded by over a 50% (probably more when accounting for game sales driven by the show's success and the recent remaster).

It was a success.

nial

Gold Member
And even then, I'd argue they weren't worth the opportunity cost of not having Asobi and the now defunct London Studio working on actual console titles with a larger budget (and as a result of that, higher appeal), which seemed to have done way better then any VR or PSN game by default.
Asobi Team is an interesting story all around, as it was set up to create content for new technology and odd peripherals; you have Astro's Playroom for DualSense, The Playroom for DS4 and PS Camera, The Playroom VR for PSVR (duh), and Astro Bot Rescue Mission, their only retail game, as an evolution of the Robots Rescue minigame from TPVR.
I think it was worth it in the eyes of SIE at the time, not only for new expertise, but because in the end, they also had Knack as a non-VR 3D platformer at the time.
Now in 2024, Asobi and Astro Bot are the faces of SIE Japan, so you can say that they are very happy with how everything turned out, which is not the same case with London Studio.
Frf4DP0.jpeg

Heck, they already had an Astro mascot costume ready for Tokyo Game Show 2018, weeks before Rescue Mission's launch, so I don't think they had very low expectations either.

Last edited:

Perrott

Gold Member
This is awesome but I have to wait for tldr's.
  • The bigger the games, the better they sell.
  • VR sales were abysmal, with extremely low attach rates relative to the PSVR user base.
  • PSN games weren't setting the world on fire for the most part, making it clear why Sony ultimately pulled the plug on developing downloadable-only titles. Housemarque's final arcade title, Matterfall, didn't even break the 500k revenue mark.
  • Initiatives such as PSOne Classics and PS2 Classics literally printed them tens of millions of dollars with minimal work on the development side. I don't know what they're waiting for to release a retro PS1/PS2/PS3/PSP handheld.

nial

Gold Member
PSN games weren't setting the world on fire for the most part, making it clear why Sony ultimately pulled the plug on developing downloadable-only titles. Housemarque's final arcade title, Matterfall, didn't even break the 500k revenue mark.
Matterfall did get a physical release in Europe, I wonder how much it did there.
ZBKHRtm.jpeg

Weirdly enough, Alienation also got a physical release in Asia-only, except for Japan.
Ty1u8o2.jpeg

Man, I really want to get these versions. Sad that Resogun is digital-only, though.

Last edited:

Perrott

Gold Member
Matterfall did get a physical release in Europe, I wonder how much it did there.
ZBKHRtm.jpeg

Weirdly enough, Alienation also got a physical release in Asia only, except for Japan.
Ty1u8o2.jpeg

Man, I really want to get these versions. Sad that Resogun is digital-only, though.
Uhhh, Alienation is soooooooooooo good. Awesome game.

It would have been really cool to have a Housemarque Collection (Super Stardust HD, Dead Nation, Resogun, Alienation, Nex Machina, Matterfall) in physical form.

IAmRei

if
Am I reading this right? Spiderman did $315m in revenue so far???
that's true, 1:3 or 1:2 is not too high to sustain the model then. the risk is high, and the reward aint so far from the investment
but this just personal opinion, i dont know the exact situation, though.

aaaand again, this is digital, we know they have more than that

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
The Last of Us Part II sold 9.6 million copies as of Feb 2022.

41% of those copies were sold digitally.

According to this chart, the game sold 6.3 million copies digitally. So the game sold around 2.5 million copies digitally from Feb 2022 - June 2023

So, my estimate of 15 million copies sold last year seems to be correct.

xrnzaaas

ZBKHRtm.jpeg

Weirdly enough, Alienation also got a physical release in Asia-only, except for Japan.
Ty1u8o2.jpeg

I remember seeing physical copies of Matterfall for 10€ or less in my local stores, people weren't interested in buying it. It eventually went out of stock and the prices of the remaining copies skyrocketed. I didn't play it, but I think it was the most generic Housemarque game from their arcade lineup and based on the gameplays I've seen it forced the player to remember and master quite a complex control scheme.

Last edited:
ZBKHRtm.jpeg

Ty1u8o2.jpeg

Hmm, I didn't know that Matterfall did not receive a physical release in North America. I've seen physical copies of the game sitting on shelves for years here in Europe, priced around €10, which is also what I paid for my copy back in 2021. It looks like retailers have finally run out of copies, I guess, since I can barely find any new listings. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

That said, I'm happy that Housemarque finally found success with Returnal, which is also my current GotG. :D

Woopah

Oh, yeah that includes all games (3rd party included). And I think it's $ not by units.
Just a lil reminder that Sony still sees physical games as imimportant.
Also worth remembering that Sony's revenue figures for digital and f2p include 100% of third party sales. Whereas the physical revenue number only includes royalties for third parties.
Actually, SIEJA also includes sales in South Korea, China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan and Southeast Asia. I do think it could be at 1M for now, though; Ghost of Tsushima, which sold 1M units in Japan, had a similar physical-digital ratio.
Do we know which region Australia, New Zealand and the Middle East are included in?

Also I wouldn't expect GT7 to have Tsushima's 50% digital ratio in Japan, given GT's level of bundling and lack of stock problems (unlike Tsushima).!

Last edited:

tommib

Uhhh, Alienation is soooooooooooo good. Awesome game.

It would have been really cool to have a Housemarque Collection (Super Stardust HD, Dead Nation, Resogun, Alienation, Nex Machina, Matterfall) in physical form.
Anyone who hasn't tried Matterfal, please do. It's an outstanding action shooter with Housemarque trademark gorgeous graphics. It's a super under the radar game but a gem.

And be ready for the last boss which is one of the toughest ever.

Great soundtrack as well:

Last edited:
Top Bottom