• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reviews for Dark Souls: The Board Game

Arttemis

Kickstarter backer, along with several extra expansions.

I can't wait to put these miniatures on display next to my painted Imperial Assault figures! I'm really contemplating using a faction-specific metallic paint scheme, since it'd take forever otherwise.

post-250375-0-92001800-1430708622.jpg

wuth

Kickstarter backer, along with several extra expansions.

I can't wait to put these miniatures on display next to my painted Imperial Assault figures! I'm really contemplating using a faction-specific metallic paint scheme, since it'd take forever otherwise.

post-250375-0-92001800-1430708622.jpg

Those actually look pretty great. That isn't a bad idea at all.

Xero

I bought it for the look of the models but will probably never play it

This is the mentality that has really fucked a good many boardgames on kickstarter, particularly for those of us that want to play the game. Too many chasing that cool mini or not money, and blowing their game up with unneeded miniatures. Not saying your wrong for your hobby with miniatures, but it really feels like a big disconnect on kickstarter between miniatures and gameplay. And board game developters trying to listen to hard to the miniature crowd and forgetting to develope a good game first. Glad to hear good things on this one and bloodborne though, so it appears that they are more then their miniatures.

Gurrry

Im addicted to board games and dark souls is one of my favorite video games of all time. I NEED those miniatures.

Just imagine the expansions with the different bosses they could do. Even if I dont play the game, having those minis as a display piece would be awesome.

Tidalwave

I'm at the 80 tier and it says I'll get the core game + stretch goals yet still asks if I want the expansions? Anyone know what that's about?

I'm at the 80 tier and it says I'll get the core game + stretch goals yet still asks if I want the expansions? Anyone know what that's about?

expansions = boss dlc

You'll get everything that is a stretch goal, but if you want some of the extra bosses you gotta pay more for them.

SomTervo

We need more boardgame threads on the gaming side. It's criminal there are some boardgame threads in OT but not Gaming.

On topic: that EG review is damn exciting. Is this strictly single player? I think I'd only get this if me and my GF could play it together.

Edit: his comment about hard boardgames is definitely a bit weird. We played Eldritch Horror about seven times before beating it. We have about four games in Forbidden Desert and haven't beaten it - but that doesn't stop us having fun trying?

Better a hard coop game that keeps you coming back for more than an easy one you beat first time and never return to.

Roarer

Been playing this for a while at my friend's. The game is great, especially in co-op. They've really nailed the flow of combat and the need to manage your stamina and find a good balance between offence and defence. Planning ahead really makes a difference.

The boss encounters are fantastic. They hit hard, act aggressively and keep you on your toes (especially Ornstein & Smough).

There's a great sense of teamwork as well, and you end up playing different roles depending on your character class.

RNG is pretty limited, which is nice in a board game. Since it is a turn based game though, there is RNG, but nothing too frustrating.

My only other gripes are:
* Normal encounters can get a bit tedious when you are overpowered, as getting through them still takes a long time just to complete all the turns.
* Items drops are randomized and you could end up with a bunch of useless stuff
* The manual is a piece of shit. As a seasoned board game player, this is some of the worst shit I've ver seen. Sure, the game is complicated and deep, but that doesn't mean the manual has to be some arcane dead sea scroll. Okay, I might be exaggerating, but the structure of the manual is illogical, there's a bunch of contradictory information and everything is over written and unnecessarily verbose.

Still, if you have a bunch of friends and 3-10 hours to kill, it's great fun!

Top Bottom