• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reviews for M Night Shyamalan’s ‘Glass’ beginning to roll in.

• Thread starter Deleted member 1235
  • Start date
So out of a couple smaller sites I trust, and a small YouTube channel I trust that just aired their non-spoiler review, it sounds like a few things are common so far

Sounds like Willis phones it in
Sounds like McAvoy is amazing. One guy said “it’s like watching a magician”
Sounds like it’s very much a sequel to both Unbreakable and Split, almost equal parts both.
Sounds like the third act is where people have problems and what makes you like it or hate it.
Sounds like the action is underwhelming

I don’t know what happens, I’ve avoided specific spoilers. The general criticism seems to be that the movie features pretty “heavy handed commentary.” I’ve seen comments about a lot of “comic book references” but I don’t know what that really means in relation to movie plot/devices.

Very curious to watch it myself. I have a theory about what “the twist is” but I’m probably way off.

Meh I'll see the movie and judge for myself. Unbreakable got bad reviews initially and its one of my favourite movies ever.

Also RT as a metric to see if a movie is good or not is pointless, Sharknado has a 82% score ffs, most recent Bumblebee, how is that a 94% film?!?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I saw it already. Great movie. I can see how some people might not like it, but it has solid foundations - good cinematography, good acting, sensible plot that doesn't jump all over the place, tonal consistency, and decent writing.

It also subverts expectations in a good way that makes sense, unlike that turd sandwich that was The Last Jedi.

hecatomb

Banned
Seems like the fans of the series like it, ill wait till Jeremy Jahns and Chris put out their reviews, since they have better reviews then most people.

Meh I'll see the movie and judge for myself. Unbreakable got bad reviews initially and its one of my favourite movies ever.

i think this is one thing people forget. after sixth sense almost every m night movie was shit on including unbreakable because it didnt have the "oh shit" moment that one did so for a lot of people it made it automatic trash. it actually took a while until people realized that unbreakable is a great movie. movie reviewers are trash i dont trust any of them. if im interested ill watch

Who gives Tarantino money? Most people, because his movies are fucking outstanding, come on now.

this is wrong. his movies are overrated garbage. pulp fiction is his only good movie but ive heard jackie brown is better but i havent seen it. ive seen everything else and theyre all forgettable

Last edited:
I generally agree with these reviews, but I think I ended up liking the movie more than they did. I'll have to see they're spoiler reviews to see what things in particular they had issue with.

Could you PM me? I have a question for you. I’m not gonna be able to see the movie for a long time and just have something burning a hole in my brain.

(I can’t initiate PM’s, but people can PM me)

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Could you PM me? I have a question for you. I’m not gonna be able to see the movie for a long time and just have something burning a hole in my brain.

(I can’t initiate PM’s, but people can PM me)
OK, but are you sure you wanna be spoiled? lol

OK, but are you sure you wanna be spoiled? lol

Ehhhh

No I’m not. There’s a spoiler review up from a channel I follow. I keep starting and stopping. Can’t decide....can’t decide...can’t decide BRAIN ANEURISM!

I’m just so curious and it’s gonna be forever till I see it.

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Well, I
Ehhhh

No I’m not. There’s a spoiler review up from a channel I follow. I keep starting and stopping. Can’t decide....can’t decide...can’t decide BRAIN ANEURISM!

I’m just so curious and it’s gonna be forever till I see it.
Well, depending on what your question is, I guess I can do my best to answer it without giving away anything too major.

I don't trust critics, they get paid.

I trust the average joe that does the paying. I will reserve final judgement for the IMDB audience score. I feel comfy once at least ~50,000 votes are in. Anything above 7 is worth seeing imo. If this sits at a 5-6 it's kind of a turd.
Yea they get paid to do their job.

The man I trust

i personally cant stand him as a reviewer. ive seen a number of them and his reviews basically come down to him talking about being in film school and thinking about how he would have made the movie compared to them. hes someone who cant just sit down and enjoy something. i dont need that kind of person in my life who cant find joy in an m night movie

i personally cant stand him as a reviewer. ive seen a number of them and his reviews basically come down to him talking about being in film school and thinking about how he would have made the movie compared to them. hes someone who cant just sit down and enjoy something. i dont need that kind of person in my life who cant find joy in an m night movie

I used to watch his stuff but since the time he acted like child because of the RLM Annabelle: Creation jab I can't seem to take him seriously any more :/

Yea they get paid to do their job.

Getting paid to spout an opinion is still spouting opinion, but opening yourself up for bias inherent to the source of the wads of cash. 'Professional Critics' are 100% compromised. aka shills. Whoever takes shills seriously is either another shill or a certified sheep. The only value critics offer is to better inform other critics on what the current industry-wide marching orders are.

Most superfluous to the consumer are Journalists that double up as professional critics, eg games Journalists. Or are you going to defend their virtue too after they have been openly exposed as nepotists, shills, liars and corporate propagandists? Yeah thought not.

Last edited:
Getting paid to spout an opinion is still spouting opinion, but opening yourself up for bias inherent to the source of the wads of cash. 'Professional Critics' are 100% compromised. aka shills. Whoever takes shills seriously is either another shill or a certified sheep. The only value critics offer is to better inform other critics on what the current industry-wide marching orders are.

Most superfluous to the consumer are Journalists that double up as professional critics, eg games Journalists. Or are you going to defend their virtue too after they have been openly exposed as nepotists, shills, liars and corporate propagandists? Yeah thought not.
You have any proof to back that up that they are taking bribes?

I never listen to critic reviews because their writing is so damn cringy. Your paranoia is hilarious though.

You have any proof to back that up that they are taking bribes?

Do I have proof that money skews opinion? Hell yes. It's all around us, 24.7. Entire governments are built on it-they call it political lobbying. Entire youtube channels are bought out and compromised. Do you think corporations stop at politicians and entertainers? They can lobby anyone. The games media is a corporate whore and has been for years. You think the rest of the media is any different? A Mexican billionaire with cartel links runs the NYT. You 100% trust film critics working for the NYT, for example? What if somebody makes a highly unflattering movie depicting his fat ass?

I don't need paranoia to illustrate what is evident and right out there in the open. I'm not saying all film critics are damaged goods, but their profession certainly is. They're welcome to go independent and wean themselves off these platforms, if they value integrity. But, no, most value the paycheck. Good for them. Shilling is a proven career path. I just don't want their work conflated with the terms 'fair and balanced'.

Last edited:
Do I have proof that money skews opinion? Hell yes. It's all around us, 24.7. Entire governments are built on it-they call it political lobbying. Entire youtube channels are bought out and compromised. Do you think corporations stop at politicians and entertainers? They can lobby anyone. The games media is a corporate whore and has been for years. You think the rest of the media is any different? A Mexican billionaire with cartel links runs the NYT. You 100% trust film critics working for the NYT, for example? What if somebody makes a highly unflattering movie depicting his fat ass?

I don't need paranoia to illustrate what is evident and right out there in the open. I'm not saying all film critics are damaged goods, but their profession certainly is. They're welcome to go independent and wean themselves off these platforms, if they value integrity. But, no, most value the paycheck. Good for them. Shilling is a proven career path. I just don't want their work conflated with the terms 'fair and balanced'.
So you have no proof then? What a surprise.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
I loved Unbreakable, didn't know about Split so I'll add that to my watch list then I'll get round to this.

sol_bad

I enjoyed the film a lot. Not sure why the critics hate it. I see many of them mentioning they didn't like the 3rd act but I found it to be really good.

Not as good as Split but better than Unbreakable IMO.

Raziel

most disappointing movie sequel since the matrix reloaded.

im literally having trouble sleeping because of how disappointing it was.

I enjoyed the film a lot. Not sure why the critics hate it. I see many of them mentioning they didn't like the 3rd act but I found it to be really good.

Not as good as Split but better than Unbreakable IMO.

A lot of them hate it because.....

HEAVY SPOILERS. DO NOT CLICK IF YOU DONT WANT SPOILERS

A lot of people don’t like that all three die. They feel we waited 19 years for this sequel and they love this new universe of “grounded, gritty superhero” possibilities. M Night always said he wanted a trilogy with a definitive conclusion, so I can’t blame him for sticking with the decision

Next, it’s not just that they die, it’s how they die, especially Dunn. Our hero we waited so long to see return. Dude gets drowned in / freaking puddle by a normal as fuck dude while his sidekick/son is feet away?

Also, many people claim they saw the Paulson/secret society twist a mile away

A lot of people think these characters had more to offer. Maybe more spinoff movies, or a TV show

Not saying I agree with any of that, just conveying what I’ve read and listened to.

What do you think?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

A lot of people don’t like that all three die. They feel we waited 19 years for this sequel and they love this new universe of “grounded, gritty superhero” possibilities. M Night always said he wanted a trilogy with a definitive conclusion, so I can’t blame him for sticking with the decision

Next, it’s not just that they die, it’s how they die, especially Dunn. Our hero we waited so long to see return. Dude gets drowned in / freaking puddle by a normal as fuck dude while his sidekick/son is feet away?

A lot of people think these characters had more to offer. Maybe more spinoff movies, or a TV show

Not saying I agree with any of that, just conveying what I’ve read and listened to.

What do you think?
I think we should make a spoiler thread if we're going to talk about such things 👍

sol_bad

What do you think?

Without saying anything too much, I can understand why people and critics didn't like that element. But again, I was fiiiiine with it.

kunonabi

Caught the movie earlier today. Writing had a bunch of issues but it looked great and there were some good moments and ideas in it. Movie needed way more character interaction/development and less comic book talk to be sure.

MacReady13

Saw it earlier today. Had extremely low expectations for it because I’d heard it was terrible. It’s not terrible at all. I loved it! Thought it was fantastic! Am going to see it again. Honestly, I cannot fathom the hate it’s received so far. Boggles my fucking mind.

Typhares

Going to see it later today, keep reading people either loving it or hating it so I'm going in with low expectations. Hope to be pleasantly surprised!

Melon

Banned
I went and saw it yesterday and really enjoyed it. There were some decent-sized plot holes in the movie, but overall I thought it was a solid movie. The ending was difficult to swallow, but I certainly don't think it ruined the movie like a lot of critics insinuate. Honestly, I can see why people were split (hah) about their opinions of this movie, but I think that was the point. Either way, I give it an 8/10. I would definitely watch it again.

Use spoiler tag and let’s really talk about ittttttt I wanna talk about it nowwwwwww

giphy.gif

Top Bottom