• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Revised DS4 Included with PS4 Slim

FHIZ

Man... Some of these reactions, people acting like they didn't spend nearly ten years with a light on the front of their 360 controller.

Wouldn't they want to mention that to everyone though?

...they haven't even officially confirmed this thing exists yet!

No and I feel stupid as fuck now, rightfully so.

big-hug-on-hug-day-2012-2012-2-13-2-42-10.jpg

It's ok dude.

Zok310

Banned
i hope we can turn that shit off, no one asked for this revision, like no one.
Other than that the controller needs to have improved batter life and the quality of the sticks should see improvements as well.

My old DS2 and DS3 are in great shape after almost 10 years....my DS4? i have went through about 7 of them since 2013, shit is crazy.

Lightning

Banned
I love how people flip their shit over something not even officially announced yet...

Before I care I'll wait until it's official.

Shredderi

i hope we can turn that shit off, no one asked for this revision, like no one.
Other than that the controller needs to have improved batter life and the quality of the sticks should see improvements as well.

My old DS2 and DS3 are in great shape after almost 10 years....my DS4? i have went through about 7 of them since 2013, shit is crazy.

You've gone through 7 DS4s? What the fuck? My DS3s are in good shape as well but so is my DS4. I don't use it as much I use my DS3 (I use DS3 on PC and I play mostly on PC) but I can't imagine the DS4 being that damn flimsy.

Better battery life is always welcome for those that still play marathon gaming sessions I guess, personally I find the DS4 battery more than fine, as I don't get to spend all day on games anymore like I did when I was younger lol

AetherZX

I still have my one and only DS4 that came with the console when I bought it two years ago. No peeling sticks, but occasionally squeaky R2.

Wil348

My guess is aside from the 'window' on the top of the touchpad for the lightbar, they improved build quality so it can be more consistent.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I love how people flip their shit over something not even officially announced yet...

Before I care I'll wait until it's official.

it's not officially announced but i'm not going to kid myself on cause it's real. your comment is just like those people who say "the neo doesn't even exist!" just because it's not official yet doesn't mean it doesn't exist. we all know it does.

I still have my one and only DS4 that came with the console when I bought it two years ago. No peeling sticks, but occasionally squeaky R2.

my controller from 2013 is holding up perfectly fine. the R2 did squeak a little but it went away. still no peeling.

its a good addition, when playing dying light and other games that use the light in certain ways to tell you things, i always thought why bother because you have to tilt your dualshock to see what the lights doing. now you should be able to see it through perepherial vision

noomi

Shitty analogs confirmed...

Guess I'll have to keep buying xbox analogs off of ebay and modding them into the controller still :/

Catdaddy

Ewww...Sony not listening to the community... Bad enough playing in the dark with the glow of the light sometimes bouncing off stuff in the room, now I get to see it firsthand!!!

iceatcs

Man... Some of these reactions, people acting like they didn't spend nearly ten years with a light on the front of their 360 controller
Just remind it is Neogaf, which meant everything lied or faked. So never take any reaction comments seriously.

Devil

I have taped the light on my DS4 because the reflection on my plasma TV was so damn annoying. Dimming wasn't enough. It also brightens up the room quite a lot when playing in the dark. I hate that feature. Thanks for doubling down on it Sony, lol.

oSoLucky

I've never gotten the distaste for DS4 analogs. After playing on either pad, I don't even notice anything different after about 10 seconds. I could somewhat understand with the DS3 sticks at least, though I only had a problem with those on looooong sessions and if my hands were clammy.

III-V

Some images appear as if the front facing light and standard location light are flashing at a different rate.

Intel_89

The new light bar sure is smarter than the front facing one that you can only see the glare of when pointing at the tv screen.

Duxxy3

I've never gotten the distaste for DS4 analogs. After playing on either pad, I don't even notice anything different after about 10 seconds. I could somewhat understand with the DS3 sticks at least, though I only had a problem with those on looooong sessions and if my hands were clammy.

They wear down fast. They are slippery. There's not a lot of contact surface. Sony tried to make a hybrid of concave and convex when they should have stuck with either one.

Convex gives the largest surface area, concave gives you the best grip. I think it's insane that they have stuck with this inferior analog shape for so long.

oSoLucky

They wear down fast. They are slippery. There's not a lot of contact surface. Sony tried to make a hybrid of concave and convex when they should have stuck with either one.

Convex gives the largest surface area, concave gives you the best grip. I think it's insane that they have stuck with this inferior analog shape for so long.

Wasn't the rubber wearing mitigated somewhat in the revisions? I have experience as it never happened to me on on my launch DS4s. As for being slippery, maybe I don't notice these things because of how I hold my controllers or how much little pressure I apply. I just picked up a DS4 and XB1 controller and you're right, it definitely is more slippery than the One sticks. Weird. I never notice it during gaming though, and I play a lot of movement heavy FPSes.

It's past the point that there should have been options for those types of things.

Septimius

They used to, though. I have two DS4s. One's kind of slippery, but the new is perfectly fine, with absolutely no issues.

This is a "revision" now?

Imo they should have changed the shitty rubber on their sticks as their shape. Also they should have made them less slippery and with a longer lasting battery. For 50€ it shouldn't be something we complain about :/

Bl@de

So now you don't only have a lightbar that reflects in your TV screen but also one that shines directly in your face

#4theplayers

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Because the light has a functional purpose for VR. It'll never be removed

Only have it on when light is being in use for VR purpose. Is that too much to ask? I think this thing has something to do with the core OS that they cant figure out how to turn it off.

This reminds me of the PSN id issue. Seems like a small change, but the way PSN infrastructure is designed, looks like your id is the primary key in database. Sony's engineering team has tendency to design a flawed system, which are impossible to fix it in future with any update.

UrbanRats

All i want from their new controllers, is better build quality.
My PS4 controller already has problems, and it's been... not even 2 years.

With having multiple controllers the battery life doesn't matter to me. I just want better wireless hardware in the slim and new model.

synce

Since many people complained about the LED in the original... they decided to add another LED basically? Interesting

glaurung

They used to, though. I have two DS4s. One's kind of slippery, but the new is perfectly fine, with absolutely no issues.
KontrolFreeks. A god tier upgrade for the DS4 sticks.

When in doubt as to which will help you most, get the Destiny CQC edition.

Top Bottom