• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rex Tillerson wants to work directly with Russia on cybersecurity

epmode

So they're just overlooking the fact that the entire IC concluded that Russia attempted (at the very least) to compromise our election? The administration's official stance is that the IC is not to be trusted, but Russia is? Just like that? I'm positive I saw Trump acknowledge the election attack story, even if he was reluctant!

The sheer nerve of this administration is beyond me. THE IC IS A VITAL PART OF THE GOVERNMENT. FOREIGN POLICY SHOULD BE SHAPED BY THEIR ADVICE.

Nokterian

These 70 old farts don't know shit about cybersecurity, also he is big friends with putin all he wants is to make money off of it.

It'll be interesting to see how much the congress and Trump's administration clash here. Russia's still unpopular with the Republican base, and I don't think Republicans in congress want to be known as the party that let the country be compromised by Russia (as much as they can spin).

I think it was written all over Rubio's face during the Sessions hearing. They're embarrassed. They want so badly for this to be nothing, but it becomes painstakingly clear each day that the admin is hiding... something. Whether it's inappropriate contact, sketchy financial favors, or full blown treason, the president's inner circle is so secretive and chummy with the Russians that diehards like Chaffetz are having meltdowns trying to make sense of it all.

Now the Senate has put them in the awkward position of having to look weak on Russia sanctions and push through an unpopular health bill in the same month, lest they end up outside of the president's good graces.

Tillerson wants to work with Russia? Well yeah, naturally. How can we be sure that our elections come to the correct results if we do not get the help of some masters of "managed" elections? In actual legitimate elections pro-Russian candidates would win far less often, after all!

Seriously, every week I wonder more about whether the 2016 election result was actually legitimate...

Zolo

So they're just overlooking the fact that the entire IC concluded that Russia attempted (at the very least) to compromise our election? The administration's official stance is that the IC is not to be trusted, but Russia is? Just like that? I'm positive I saw Trump acknowledge the election attack story, even if he was reluctant!

The sheer nerve of this administration is beyond me. THE IC IS A VITAL PART OF THE GOVERNMENT. FOREIGN POLICY SHOULD BE SHAPED BY THEIR ADVICE.

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/816452807024840704
Trump said:
The "Intelligence" briefing on so-called "Russian hacking" was delayed until Friday, perhaps more time needed to build a case. Very strange!

epmode

For what it's worth, it's the latest tweet found on the subject, and I haven't seen him mention Russia's role in the hacking since.

This story is dated a week after that tweet but I'm pretty sure it's been Trump's offical stance since then:

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-russia-cyber-idUSKBN14S0O6

President-elect Donald Trump accepts the U.S. intelligence community's conclusion that Russia engaged in cyber attacks during the U.S. presidential election and may take action in response, his incoming chief of staff said on Sunday.

Reince Priebus said Trump believed Russia was behind the intrusions into the Democratic Party organizations, although Priebus did not clarify whether the president-elect agreed that the hacks were directed by Russian President Vladimir Putin.

"He accepts the fact that this particular case was entities in Russia, so that's not the issue," Priebus said on "Fox News Sunday."

It was the first acknowledgment from a senior member of the Republican president-elect's team that Trump had accepted that Russia directed the hacking and subsequent disclosure of Democratic emails during the 2016 presidential election.

It can't be considered hacking if they're in charge of security

U49SjEQ.gif

jelly

Does he even still work with Exxon? What's in it for him?

Rex is just trying to get the sanctions lifted so the half a trillion pipeline for Exxon and Russian partners goes swimmingly. It's the only reason he is there and will probably head back a hero for his reward afterwards.

WH blocks Russia sanctions bill.

A bill that slaps new sanctions on Russia, and passed the Senate almost unanimously, has hit a major stumbling block in the House.

Rep. Kevin Brady (R-Texas) said the legislation has been flagged by the House parliamentarian as a "blue slip" violation, referring to the constitutional requirement that revenue bills originate in the House.

"The House has always, in a bipartisan way, followed protocol to avoid Origination Clause violations. It's the Constitution. It's pretty straightforward," a senior GOP aide added.

But the decision is sounding alarm bells among Democrats, who are warning that Republicans could be trying to delay the bill amid pushback from the Trump administration.

A bill that slaps new sanctions on Russia, and passed the Senate almost unanimously, has hit a major stumbling block in the House.

Rep. Kevin Brady (R-Texas) said the legislation has been flagged by the House parliamentarian as a "blue slip" violation, referring to the constitutional requirement that revenue bills originate in the House.

"The House has always, in a bipartisan way, followed protocol to avoid Origination Clause violations. It's the Constitution. It's pretty straightforward," a senior GOP aide added.

But the decision is sounding alarm bells among Democrats, who are warning that Republicans could be trying to delay the bill amid pushback from the Trump administration.

Except this bill has nothing at all to do with revenue.

I swear if it turns out that the House is gonna block Russia sanctions......

Ponn

Banned
Trump: "Ok, so big day for capitalism and the American people. We are going to completely get rid of our IC. CIA, FBI, Homeland Security, NSA, all gone. No more leaks, save big on american peoples taxes. Instead we are going to outsource our entire national security to Russia and the KGB for a fraction of the cost. They really are giving us a great deal on this that I negotiated"

epmode

I still can't get over this goddamned story. I thought I'd been numbed to the news coming out of this administration but this is just insane.

How is this a revenue bill?

I see nothing wrong with this.

On an unrelated note I've decided that a wolf is a perfect partner to look after a flock of sheep. I'm sure nothing will go wrong with this decision.

How is this a revenue bill?

It's not. The House is clearly showing they plan to suck up to the WH's demands to water down the bill.

They want to be able to craft their own watered down version so that they don't have to be on record for voting against the Senate's version.

Except this bill has nothing at all to do with revenue.

I swear if it turns out that the House is gonna block Russia sanctions......
and if that was the only thing stopping the house, they could just introduce their own bill to do the same thing and send it to the senate.

RPGCrazied

This is a joke, right? After the election we shouldn't be doing anything with them. Jesus Christ. The love we give Russia after fucking over our democracy is something to see.

epmode

It's not. The House is clearly showing they plan to suck up to the WH's demands to water down the bill.

They want to be able to craft their own watered down version so that they don't have to be on record for voting against the Senate's version.

I can't take four years of this.

Do Better

A lot of people in charge don't care at all about what the American people want, only about what benefits them personally.

Top Bottom