• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rey as a Mary Sue [STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS SPOILERS]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veelk

Banned
Okay, I just got back from my second viewing. I also watched star trek 2009 because I remembered someone mentioning that it and the force awakens are essentially the same movie, which I don't really see now that I compare them side by side, but that's a thread for another day.

For today, I wanted to settle things once and for all. The whole "mary sue" issue and the final fight with Ren.

Black Holes and Mary Sues.

There's been a lot of back and forth over whether Rey is a Mary Sue. I maintain what I said earlier: Mary Sue is a shitty label that everyone interprets differently. It has only one constant, and that is the end result: The viewer is disbelieving that the character can achieve what they have been presented as achieving. People have posited that Rey is a Mary Sue because she doesn't ever fail in the movie and/or has no flaws. I'll address that question in a moment, but first I want to talk about Bella Swan from Twilight.

As I said, there is no set definition for the term Mary Sue because everyone thinks it means something else. Some people think that it means the author has inserted theirselves into the story via an avatar (which is an odd thing to complain about given that so many authors go on and on about how they place pieces of themselves in ALL their characters, which makes sense as they're the ones making them so where else would they come from?), other people think it means that a person who has no flaws (which is an odd thing to say as there is no such thing as an objective flaw, so the character is dependent to like a particular personality aspect or not. I don't think the definition should be so subjective) or limitations on their power, there are people who think it's a blank slate character that people can latch onto, and there are even people who use as flippant a definition as "Character I don't like". There are more, but you get my point.

What's great about Bella Swan is that she is just about the only character that the vast majority of people know AND agree is a "Mary Sue", because she embodies every definition that I've heard. She's an self insert, blank slate, with every character saying she's perfect except those who are villains and thus can be dismissed, and few people like her. And you know what? She fucking sucks. I'm serious, the narrative goes out of it's way to describe how comically clumsy she is, how her looks are plain. She's dismissive of friends who are going out of their way to help her, she's disrespectful of her father who gave her a truck, and is apathetic to the vampire council's crimes against humanity (the end of the second book she sees people who are terrified and obviously walking to be eaten alive and does not react at all.) She has no powers nor any ability to defend herself, which drives the vast majority of the book's plot as it relates to things outside the romance, and indeed almost never tries. She has all these deficiencies in her character and more. How is it that Bella can be a Mary Sue when she just flat out sucks this hard? How can anyone, author or reader, willfully place themselves onto such a character of such inability?

Because Bella Swan is the center of the twilight universe. The things that happen in the story are a result entirely of her presence. The most justification we ever get from Edward for why he likes Bella is because she is somehow immune to his mind reading powers (which we never get an explanation for why that is, nor is it something that greatly affects their interactions), her friends go out of their way for her despite that she seems condescending to them, atleast in her head, and their efforts don't mean anything because Bella wants to be sad and sucidal for Edward, so she is. Jacob's love is similarly unexplained. The vampire council takes an abnormal interest in her, the cullens love her, she's never challenged or punished except by obvious villains who can be dismissed, etc.

Bella Swan is, iirc, what made me realize why Mary Sue isn't a good term for the kind of character they're describing. What they're talking about is a Black Hole character. It's not about the in-universe power they hold, because they could easily hold no power at all. It's about the narrative power. These characters basically just have other characters drop the lives they have going on around them, so that those character's paths are defined by this singularity of a character. One of the most fundamental truths of the world is that every person out there has their own lives going on, and they are connected as well, so when your present in another person's life, it has an affect, but it equally has an effect on you. We all have our own stories, and we're our own protagonists. The kind of character that many people mislabel as Mary Sue destroys that by making slaves of the characters around them. Edward and Jacob and her dad, and her friends, and the entire frikken Vampire council have their lives stop as soon as Bella Swan walks into their worlds, because after that, it's all about her.

And all those other definitions suddenly make sense, because in each of them, you can see how it would be tempting to lead to that sort of result. If you're writing yourself inserted into a story, you will feel the urge to make it all about you as a self empowerment fantasy. If yo want the audience to implant themselves on a blank character, then it's probably for the purposes of giving that empowerment fantasy to them. If you make a character that's 'without flaws or limitations', then it's all too easy to just have them be the agent that engages with all the worlds conflicts. Anecdotally, I've read stories wherein a character was either clearly a self insert or a blank character or really powerful or whatever. It's possible to do any one of those things and still come away with a good product. What I've never seen is a character who acts as an active detriment to the agency of those around them and come out alright....well, not unless the author is aware of it and takes steps to keep such an influence in check in some way, anyway.

But that's what I feel is the heart of the issue most people talk about. It's not Mary Sueness. It's characters that are black holes, sucking in the narrative power of every other character around them.

So. Finally getting around to my point. Rey. Is she a black hole character? Obviously not. Han Solo likes her, but he maintains his narrative focus of being on a journey to return to his younger days, which means both being a smuggler and trying to redeem his son. Finn is probably the one whose life Rey has affected most. He was actually willing to leave Rey out of fear in the middle of the movie. He wanted her to come with, but his fear overrode his love for her, until she was actually placed in danger. But while you can't at this moment seperate his love for her from his overcoming his fear, it has to be noted that he's turning into the resistance leader he is because of his own will as well. He left before he ever met Rey, and now he's going to continue becoming a braver character within the resistance without her. And Kylo Ren's narrative is not related to her at all except at the very end, wherein he seeks her validation for his choices, but he would have sought anyone's at that point.

The Force Awaken's is Rey's story, perhaps more than others, but it's also Finn's, Han's and Ren's. She affects them all, but they also affect hers, and moreover, they affect each others. She has no affect on Han's struggle to return to his old life and save his son, and she has nothing to do with Finn's and Poe's relationship. The movie depicts people going on with their own lives before, during, and after Rey's presence. If she were what others were accusing her of being, that just wouldn't happen.

But perhaps your not convinced of this line of reasoning and still consider her problematic for her lack of flaws. She is said to overcome any challenge and has no flaws. In my second viewing, I specifically watched out for these aspects, and....well, I honestly don't know how to answer because I don't know what 'flaws' are to people, so instead, here are the problems Rey faces.

Flaws and Conflicts

First, there are the obvious external problems. she is a scavenger, and that means living is hard. She works for a scumbag that pays her less than minimum wage. After the First Order arrives, her next external challenge is hostility from the stormtroopers. After that, it's the freighter boarders (that turn out to be Han Solo) and then the tentacle monsters. Then she got to the rebel base where the stormstroopers arrived, and fought with Kylo Ren. Then she had that mind battle, then she snuck around, reunited with her friends, and watched Han Solo die. Then she fought Kylo Ren, and then escaped the exploding base.

So, with the scavenging, she was by all accounts at the bottom of the pole in terms of social class if she was allowed to be so easily screwed out of her portions like she was and couldn't do anything about it. She didn't beat that conflict except by stealing the Falcon from her boss, and she did that unwillingly, and I am pretty sure it wasn't all that great a loss to him. She escaped the storm troopers, but it has to be noted that she only did so because Finn was an extraordinarily good shot and would have been dead without him on the guns. She didn't 'win' the freighter incident, she just survived it, with her greatest victory being that she could close the doors on the monster in time so that Finn wouldn't be eaten. Otherwise, all she could do was get in the falcon and GTFO with Han (though she admittedly helped by pointing out the compression issue, but even then, Han would have spotted that a second later). She flat out lost in the storm trooper invasion on the rebel base, and the few victories she did get were against stormtroopers, and those weren't well placed shots. That's one thing Rey is undoubtedly less talented in than any other fighter, she flat out sucks at blasters. Not to the point that she can't take down stormtroopers, but you should pay attention to the wild shots she is taking when Kylo Ren stomps in. Then she won the mind battle, and successfully sneaked about, lost and wandering, until Han and Finn spotted her. Otherwise, what would she have done exactly? Ren suspected that she'd steal a ship, so he immediately ordered to put the harbors on lock down, so she was screwed there. She couldn't do anything to save Han. She was on the run for most of the fight with Kylo Ren (i'll get into the particulars of that fight in a moment) and then found a ship to steal away from the base afterwards.

She definitely has some wins in there and she isn't utterly helpless in any of them. But this does not seem like an overwhelming win chart to me. She's always good enough to get by, but the fact is that she's subject to the forces that move the world. She can't just take over that colony or whatever she's at in the beginning, she had no recourse except to GTFO against the tentacle monsters, and she didn't fight back the whole base when she was running around. She can't take on the world.

What about internal problems though? Well, other than when Kylo Ren is trying to get at her, she's her own worst enemy. The internal drama that drives her character arc is the fact that she can't let go of Jakku, which she actually hates, but that's where she believes her family will come for her. And this actually prevents her from doing what she wants. This is most obvious after the freighter incident. At first, she was getting away from Jakku for personal safety, but then they actually get away, and she is simply stunned by the forest planet they find. And then they get out, and Han offers her a job. This might be the most giddy she gets, and that's important. You can see she wants to do this so badly. And then you see her crest-fallen. She can't. She needs to go back to wait for her family that she knows she is never going to come back.

Like I said, flaw is a subjective word. It's not as bad a term as Mary Sue, but I still feel asking what Rey's conflict is more applicable than asking what her flaw is. But, gun to my head? If I had to give if a definition, "flaw" in narrative typically denotes a character aspect that prevents a character from achieving what they want. Her flaw is her inability to let go of the past and embrace the new life she has set before her. Han offers her a job, and she runs away. She feels the connection with the lightsaber, and she runs away. She is plagued by self inflicted loneliness. You can see her harshly try to turn away any allies, from BB-8 to Han to Finn helping her out, trying to keep an emphasis of self reliance. Her character journey is coming to the decision of moving on, and embracing her connection with the force, which is done as of the end of the movie. Perhaps that's why some people feel she has no flaws. Because by the end, the focal character drama she has is resolved. Which, of course, doesn't mean it's gone. We can fully expect that her family will play a part in the future movies. But she now has a new path in life, and she embraces (literally) Finn as an undyingly loyal friend and comrade. Her loneliness and attachment to her past life have been alleviated and her 'flaw' has been dealt with for the nonce.

Still, regarding the external challenges she faces once again, some people feel she gets off too easy. I will admit, those ship maneuvers are pretty impressive for someone who has never gone off world, and she is a pretty quick study with the force. So lets look at some of her conflicts a little more in depth.

Kylo Ren's Fuck Ups

Up until she gets captured, her greatest feat was her flying against the storm troopers. This one is actually acknowledged to be inexplicable by her. She was outwardly confident to Finn, but in the pilots seat, both of them are muttering "I can do this, I can do this." Then, afterwards, during their mutual contradulatory moment, one of the things that Finn asks is "how did you do that" to which she replies "I have no idea". And it is afterwards that we get a scene of Kylo Ren muttering "There has been an awakening." So, I think we are meant to infer that this is her first contact with the force, or recontact as the case may be. Her confusion at her flash backs imply that she doesn't remember all of her past, and whatever is in her past, may have either been training to fly that well, or else she used the force to make all the right moves ala Luke in ANH, except unwittingly. Similarly, she could actually just be that good, because all she said was she never gone off world, but might have practiced flying at some point as she was staying there. She certainly has a great deal of understanding of ships on a technical level. So, yeah, this particular feat is unexplained, but it's implied there is an explanation, possibly more than one.

After that, she's just a regular action survivor until she gets captured by Ren, wherein she has her mind battle. I already stated that I think willpower has a great amount to do with whether Ren's mind reading abilities work. Perhaps that's why he did it on Poe only after the stormtroopers had taken a turn torturing him first. At that point, his will must have been weak.In addition to not being a force sensitive, Poe had no chance. Meanwhile, Rey has no training. However, what she has is second hand knowledge. This is one great difference between her and Luke. Luke was someone who was naturally unbelieving of the Jedi lore. When faced with training tasks by both Yoda and Ben that he had trouble with, he immediately defaulted to disbelief. There was no way he could hit the laser if he couldn't see it, no way he could lift the x-wing out. He had to see it to believe it. Belief isn't an issue with Rey. She already fantasized about Jedi abilities, and when she got Han's confirmation, that was all she needed. And she has certainty in herself. Keep in mind, Ren won MOST of the mind battle. He found out about her loneliness, her desire to see Han as a father figure, her desires leave, the fact taht she had the map coordinates....the only thing he didn't find out is what those coordinates were. And the reason he broke off is because he got in close enough that she was able to read a little of his mind, and pressed on the fact that he was scared and uncertain of his place in the force. And the reason I believe in this interpretation is how she acted with the storm trooper afterwards. She had never seen the jedi mind trick, but she heard about it. So she tries once. Twice. And then nails it on the third try. It's not instant mastery, but the fact that she believes she can do it lends itself more to her ability to do it than a technical instruction book on how to do it would. The force by nature is instinctive and passive, so she just learns by experience. The important part is that she believes in her ability to do it.

Which leads us to the final confrontation, which is what is the greatest point of contention about this film. I feel the basics have been done to death at this point, so I'll mention them in brief. Kylo Ren is injured by the bowcaster shot and mentally anguished over the death of his father that he just been the agent of. But here's what I haven't seen: A point of comparison. Do you know who Kylo Ren fought with his lightsaber uninjured? First, he struck down a helpless old man. Then he fucked up a computer council. Then the torture chair that he strapped Rey into. Then his father. People have made a lot of contention about Kylo Ren not being 'visibily' slowed down. What visual comparison is being made here? All his opponents thus far have been inanimate, either by will or nature. He didn't actually get into a lightsaber fight until the end of the movie, and by then he was injured. We never saw Kylo Ren fight at full strength.

Still, even with the injuries, he was a better fighter in general than Rey. Yet, at the same time, Finn managed to get a hit on him (on his dominant arm no less, making it even clearer how he was unable to overpower Rey). How? People have argued that since the injury wasn't 'visibily' slowing him down, it must not be affecting him. That's kind of bullshit because it implies speed is all that's necessary to be an effective lightsaber fighter. What seemed obvious to me is that Ren's deficiency wasn't that he was weaker or slower, but that he was more reckless. His anger issues, his anguish and his injuries have made him weaker than what he would otherwise be (because that's what injuries do), but the real thing that all this stress has cost him is his ability to focus. Against a coordinated and calm fighter, Finn couldn't get a single hit in even though the dude was a storm trooper. But Ren's sloppiness meant he was open to getting hits in.

And yet, even with that, he still manages to beat Finn and then afterwards chase down Rey. This is an important thing, Rey is fucking terrified of Ren and most of the fight is her running away. He catches her in a blade lock, then proceeds to plead with her to join him to validate his decisions. Pay attention to his face in this scene next time you see him, and look how physically obvious it is that he's at the end of his rope. His face is sheening with sweat, his voice is desperate...This is Ren at his breaking point. Now, he's not even trying to kill her, he's trying to convince her to join him. I argued before that this was because he seeks validation, but now I also think he was realizing he might not be able to win this one. Then Rey taps into the force. I want to point out that the force doesn't just grant physical power, but the inexplicable knowledge of when and where to make the right move. When Luke first used the force, he didn't get 'stronger' he just knew where to place his blade so that the droid lasers wouldn't hit him. I think that's what Rey did, she didn't get 'stronger', she just knew where to swing the lightsaber....which in this case, was at his leg. At this point, Ren is physically limping and barely standing. So that's a third injury, in addition to Finn's hit on his dominant arm, bowcaster shot to the gut, and emotional distress. Here, he gets desperate and just tries to flat out grabble with Rey, but at this point, hes physically weak enough that Rey flat out overpowers him, forcing his lightsaber into the ground as she cuts either it or his arm (the shot doesn't make it clear).

People have called Rey's use of force a cheap power up, and I don't think I can disagree about anything except the cheap part. That's what the force is, an empowering aspect of the universe. Luke was empowered by it not because he 'mastered' it, but because he let it flow through him. His mastery of the force under Yoda's training is never about him controlling the force, but flowing with it. You don't get strong ON the force, you get strong WITH the force. And as I mentioned, Rey simply doesn't have the kind of hangups Luke had about the force because she has a different perspective on the whole thing that gives her an arguably easier time accessing it once she accepts it into her life (which incidentally was a problem Luke never had).

So yeah. Hopefully I've successfully convinced some of you who were on the edge. Mary sue is a shitty term and we should stop using it, but what most people mean by it: Rey isn't a mary sue. And holy fuck, did this end up being longer than I ever anticipate.

Fake Edit: I almost forgot. Ren considers the blue lightsaber to be his, probably by birthright and says as much. When he defeats Finn, he puts his red lightsaber away to try and take it via the force, leading to possibly the most classic moment of the film, where it's Rey that actually takes it, overpowering his force pull. Again, another indication of how out of it Ren is currently, but also another mental gut punch. He had his grandfather's lightsaber right there....and it moved to another, literally passing him by. That's got to sting.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I agree, Mary Sue is a lame, vague term that I'm guilty of using myself. In regards to Rey, I just wish they explored her immediate backstory a bit more instead of using her as a vessel for solutions and a character focus in numerous setpieces without exploring her nuances or faulting her to require cooperation and assistance. It's not black and white, as she obviously has her moments, but it's an overarching issue (and probably the only big one) I have with the film; it's insistence to push forward aggressively and spend little time exploring our characters intimately or growing them through quiet exchanges. So while with Luke we see him make mistakes and learn a bit about him, his family, and his history, long before and during the climatic setpieces (stuff like Leia bailing Luke, Chewie, and Han out of the prison escape is a good example of the dynamic), with Rey we simply see her often having ideas, running in head first, and taking little time to reach peak ability.

And her versatility makes her fucking rad. I love her. She makes for great cinema, and Daisy nails it. I'm also positive they'll explore her deliberately vague backstory a bit more in the next movies. I like that they kept that a central mystery. But when I hear that in the prequel novel it explores how she has a flight sim salvaged from a wreck, gets screwed over by people, and has learned how to put parts together in her workshop to maximise her investments, I'm sad we saw almost literally none of this in the film. It's quintessential Abrams, similar to Star Trek 2009, where the narrative moves so far and is so focused on the moment-to-moment emotional investment that it doesn't want to breath, just as with young Kirk's incredibly fast, forward moving arc. The different here, in my opinion, between Rey and Luke is that with Luke we do see more justification for his strengths and weaknesses. The Force Awakens simply doesn't bother. Rey is not the only character subjective to this; Finn's motivations are great in theory but still fasttracked. And while I can see how some might prefer this style of film making, it's a strength I feel ANH and ESB had far greater over TFA in establishing and building characters. Kylo is probably the only one to receive a really full spectrum of attention, in intimacy and climax.

As a side, I'm also really disappointed that some leverage the term Mary Sue as instant equation for sexism. I can see where the correlation is drawn but it's grossly inaccurate the moment we admit the term is vague, and unfairly dismissive of discussion on strengths/weaknesses of particular character development and arcs. "REY IS MARY SUE" / "THAT'S SEXIST" is a braindead argument on both sides.

Veelk

Banned
I agree, Mary Sue is a lame, vague term that I'm guilty of using myself. In regards to Rey, I just wish they explored her immediate backstory a bit more instead of using her as a vessel for solutions and a character focus in numerous setpieces without exploring her nuances or faulting her to require cooperation and assistance. It's not black and white, as she obviously has her moments, but it's an overarching issue (and probably the only big one) I have with the film; it's insistence to push forward aggressively and spend little time exploring our characters intimately or growing them through quiet exchanges. So while with Luke we see him make mistakes and learn a bit about him, his family, and his history, long before and during the climatic setpieces (stuff like Leia bailing Luke, Chewie, and Han out of the prison escape is a good example of the dynamic), with Rey we simply see her often having ideas, running in head first, and taking little time to reach peak ability.

And her versatility makes her fucking rad. I love her. She makes for great cinema, and Daisy nails it. I'm also positive they'll explore her deliberately vague backstory a bit more in the next movies. I like that they kept that a central mystery. But when I hear that in the prequel novel it explores how she has a flight sim salvaged from a wreck, gets screwed over by people, and has learned how to put parts together in her workshop to maximise her investments, I'm sad we saw almost literally none of this in the film. It's quintessential Abrams, similar to Star Trek 2009, where the narrative moves so far and is so focused on the moment-to-moment emotional investment that it doesn't want to breath, just as with young Kirk's incredibly fast, forward moving arc. The different here, in my opinion, between Rey and Luke is that with Luke we do see more justification for his strengths and weaknesses. The Force Awakens simply doesn't bother. Rey is not the only character subjective to this; Finn's motivations are great in theory but still fasttracked. And while I can see how some might prefer this style of film making, it's a strength I feel ANH and ESB had far greater over TFA in establishing and building characters. Kylo is probably the only one to receive a really full spectrum of attention, in intimacy and climax.

I can agree with some of this here. I'm just not bothered by it at this particular moment because it might be explored in the next films. The truth is, I feel that this is more of an incomplete story than any other SW movie except perhaps Empire. So it's unfair to judge whether they explored her character thoroughly enough until we actually have all 3 films. I agree that this is issue Abram's struggles with, and if it's not delivered on in the next films, there will be a reckoning. But until then, I just feel the story is so obviously incomplete, so we need to wait and see.

As a side, I'm also really disappointed that some leverage the term Mary Sue as instant equation for sexism. I can see where the correlation is drawn but it's grossly inaccurate the moment we admit the term is vague, and unfairly dismissive of discussion on strengths/weaknesses of particular character development and arcs. "REY IS MARY SUE" / "THAT'S SEXIST" is a braindead argument on both sides.

I'm guessing this wasn't directed at me, since I never talked about the gender roles of SW in that post. However, it both is and isn't a brain dead argument. It's brain dead if the person is accusing another person of it, and using it as a blanket excuse to disregard their opinion. The fact is sexism really isn't provable in most cases because we typically don't have a 1 to 1 male counterpoint to compare it to, even with the high levels of similarities between TFA and ANH. However, the other fact is there is research that women are just flat out judged more harshly on stuff. I don't mean overt intentional sexism, but just how different professors got the same applications from graduate students except names were switched to denote male and female applicants, and female applicants consistently got judged more harshly on their flaws and praised less on their accomplishments than males. And the professors were just ordinary people, who thought they were making fair assessments. Just doing their jobs, nothing malicious.

So, while I would never accuse any one person in particular of sexism without proof, the fact that general populations tend to unwittingly be more critical of women should be kept in mind atleast. It doesn't mean it's the driving factor or that criticisms should be swept aside for it. It's just something people should be aware of. Personally, I'm ecstatic over the representation we got in the film. We got a black guy and female as leads, a highly popular hispanic side character who might also be gay that I think will play a larger part in the next movie, with the only new white male character being the villain Kylo Ren. It's so refreshing to see a big budget hollywood film actually deliver on diversity and it made the film genuinely more enjoyable. It even surprised me, as the trailers depicted Finn as being the new Jedi, and while the signs are much more obvious in retrospect, I had my doubts just because I didn't think they'd make the new central face of the new Jedi female. Good on them for being inclusive, seriously.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Split off from the main Star Wars spoiler thread so that it doesn't get lost in the mix.

The notion that Rey is a Mary Sue seems to have dominated social media and popular media since the film's release, to perhaps an unprecedented degree, and Veelk's post addresses the topic very well and is worth exploring further.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I'll bring over my thoughts from my second viewing this morning:

-Rey being so skilled with the force so quickly never bothered me that much, and it really doesn't bother me now. Look, maybe the critics would have a point if all we had were the first three movies where it took Luke a week of training to learn how to move a rock, but in the decades since the expanded universe including TV shows and especially video games have scaled up the level of "force magic" considerably. Plus the force prodigy angle is one that I'm okay with, I like the idea of an "awakening", that the force, as a quasi sentient oversoul, has selected its champion of the Light Side to put forth.

-On the other hand, Rey's character overall is still the thinnest of the main three, and having really paid attention the second time I don't think this is due to any Mary Sueness, but this is almost entirely because she got Mystery Boxed in her own damn movie. The first time I saw it I didn't keep total track of just how much they were neglecting her backstory versus hinting at it, but having paid attention now yeah they're really leaning into "Rey's past" as one of the big dramatic hooks going into the next movie. Which is incredibly dumb, IMO, especially when she's juxtaposed right next to Finn and Kylo

-On the whole "she's good at everything" thing: she is, and whatever, that's not really a bad thing inherently. But they don't contextualize it well. People point to the "we used to hit womp rats, they're not much bigger then that" line as an example of how you can use a single line to establish skill without needing much more context, but the thing about the womp rat line is that does establish context, it gives us a mental image of a dumbass kid and his friends in the outback gunning down rats. Rey, on the other hand, basically gets two lines "I'm a pilot!" and "I've never flown off planet" to justify her piloting skills, neither of which tell us anything about why this scavenger character who just drives a speeder to wreckage and back would have ever seriously flown a ship before. All they had to do was throw in something like "I helped Dargo Bylan run stuff cross planet a few times but nothing like this!" Is this more mystery boxing? I don't know, I don't know if her mysterious past is "she has repressed skills" or just "why she was left alone

Good post, Veelk. I never once thought of her as a 'Mary Sue' which is a dumb label anyway.

She's an awesome character. I was never in any disbelief about what was happening in the film.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
it's a stupid term for bad fan fiction that has lost all truly objective meaning at this point. As has been said over and over and over, it exists in its current form solely as a means to tear down female protagonists.

fucking bullshit and fuck anyone who uses it.

As for Rey, Rey is the best thing to hit Star Wars mythology since Yoda. Period. Even if one can't get over the flaws of TFA, Rey as a character (and Ridley as an actor) were truly great finds by Abrams and the producers.

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
I hadn't heard the Mary Sue term till this movie! I vehemently disagree with that term for Rey. 90% of what she does fits in the world narrative created by JJ.

Makes no sense to me

Not

Banned
I agree with the OP. I just didn't like the people arguing against Rey, I felt like it was coming from a bad place...

Rey's my favorite character, too.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Article about why Rey is not a Mary Sue on Indiewire: http://blogs.indiewire.com/criticwi...cebook&utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=IW_post

Otherwise in full agreement of the OP. Definitely don't buy the argument or reasoning that Rey is a Mary Sue and

Yeah that's probably my biggest criticism with TFA. JJ Abrams simply has no concept of how to pace a film - a better film would allow for those breathing moments.. but JJ Abrams seems too concerned with going from ONE epic moment to a another. I'm hopeful the sequels will break away from that and give more room for more meaningful character development and character interactions.

The use of the term Mary Sue, not just related to Rey, seems to have shot up on the Internet over the past few days. It's another one of those buzz terms that people just seem to like throwing around once they've heard it. I saw it getting used in a Star Trek thread the other day and couldn't even begin to figure out why.

Great post.

That was one hell of a post, one of the best I've read on the movie. It's all speculation of course, but I'm inclined to believe that Rey's backstory, specifically her ability to channel into the force at such a high level, will be expanded on in Epi8. I don't think she's like Luke in Ep4, who although force-sensitive had no practical experience prior to Obi-wan's teachings. Her melee and force abilities,ala Jason Bourne, were buried until a situation arose that brought them to the surface. It's all speculation of course, but I'm going with that until and unless we're proven otherwise in the next movie.

Edit: I don't know where I've been, but I never heard of the term 'Mary Sue' in the context its being used until this movie.

Theodoricos

Amazing post. It's hard to say that Rey is a Mary Sue after considering all of this, I think.

One of my posts from the Spoiler thread regarding this that basically sums up my thoughts:

The problem with people thinking Rey is a Mary Sue is that some forget that she doesn't have the same starting point in The Force Awakens that Luke does in A New Hope. Luke's been raised as a farmer while Rey is a scavenger who's had to survive on her own for a while (and might have had prior Jedi training too).

That, and she was really lucky in her fight against Kylo Ren, who was barely functioning at that point.

Not

Banned

That's fair. Me, I always saw it as a gender-neutral term. For example, Kvothe in Name of the Wind.

Rey is nowhere near.

Mr_eX

Wasn't she force pushed into a tree and knocked out requiring Finn to step in and save her life? Doesn't this negate the entire Mary Sue argument?

Kevinroc

OP, that was a good post. Like others in this thread, I think "Mary Sue" has become so overused as a catch-all to knock female characters that it has lost all meaning.

It's gotten to the point that I think it's hard to discuss the movie's flaws at all because the detractors are so loud and obnoxious about calling Rey a "Mary Sue."

My thoughts is that it's pretty early to judge whether or not her character is one. I'll have to see what they do with her in the next 2 movies. I feel like we don't have much of a character other than badass girl who can do things and also has a mysterious past. That's about it.

Not saying that as a negative either. It's part 1 of a known trilogy. I'm saying it's impossible to draw conclusions based on what we saw.

Lynx_7

Never once did the thought of she being a Mary Sue cross my mind when I was watching the movie. I did think it was odd to have her be such a skilled ship pilot and being able to use the force so efficiently that quickly but just shrugged it off as movie logic.

Not

Banned
OP, that was a good post. Like others in this thread, I think "Mary Sue" has become so overused as a catch-all to knock female characters that it has lost all meaning.

It's gotten to the point that I think it's hard to discuss the movie's flaws at all because the detractors are so loud and obnoxious about calling Rey a "Mary Sue."

This is what I've observed. It's such a bummer to see people jump on this bandwagon so easily over the past week TBH.

EDIT: Maybe the thread title should be changed to "Why Rey is not a Mary Sue?"

I already read over this before and disagreed but I'll think/read about it again to see if I actually want to go into this again.
The use of the term Mary Sue, not just related to Rey, seems to have shot up on the Internet over the past few days. It's another one of those buzz terms that people just seem to like throwing around once they've heard it. I saw it getting used in a Star Trek thread the other day and couldn't even begin to figure out why.

Great post.
I'm pretty sure it comes from Star Trek fan fiction. So that's probably why.

Toa TAK

Banned
Another Veelk worth reading. Of all of it, this was my favorite part, though:

The Force Awaken's is Rey's story, perhaps more than others, but it's also Finn's, Han's and Ren's. She affects them all, but they also affect hers, and moreover, they affect each others. She has no affect on Han's struggle to return to his old life and save his son, and she has nothing to do with Finn's and Poe's relationship. The movie depicts people going on with their own lives before, during, and after Rey's presence. If she were what others were accusing her of being, that just wouldn't happen.

As you already explained in your post, if she was really a Mary Sue in the fullest sense, their lives would've stopped to revolve around her, but that didn't happen. Han still goes out to confront his son, Kylo Ren continues to struggle with who he is before Rey entered the picture and beat him, Finn still wanted to leave it all behind.

I think people are confusing her competence throughout the film as being a Mary Sue. Maybe it's what wasn't explained in her backstory or what, but I'm willing to be the feeling that there's little explanation to her background is what's setting people off.

Wasn't she force pushed into a tree and knocked out requiring Finn to step in and save her life? Doesn't this negate the entire Mary Sue argument?

Right? Unless it's countered with the fact that she was able to use the Jedi-mind trick to get out in 2 tries. But I dunno.

If there's an issue with Rey's character, I don't think it's anything "Mary Sue" related.

Dice//

Banned
Never once did the thought of she being a Mary Sue cross my mind when I was watching the movie. I did think it was odd to have her be such a skilled ship pilot and being able to use the force so efficiently that quickly but just shrugged it off as movie logic.

(I always thought Luke picked it up pretty fast myself, again, played off well with "movie logic")

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
It's a great post, and it's definitely a good idea for anyone seeking to label Rey thusly to reconsider, especially if you coincidentally happen to not like her character, citing "Mary Sueness" as why.

This excerpt from the trope's Wikipedia page always stood out to me in stark terms:
In chapter four of her book Enterprising Women,[8] Camille Bacon-Smith states that fear of creating a "Mary Sue" may be restricting and even silencing some writers.

Smith quotes an issue of the Star Trek fanzine Archives[9] as identifying "Mary Sue" paranoia as one of the sources for the lack of "believable, competent, and identifiable-with female characters." In this article, Cantor interviews her sister Edith, also an amateur editor, who says she receives stories with cover letters apologizing for the tale as "a Mary Sue", even when the author admits she does not know what a "Mary Sue" is. According to Edith Cantor, while Paula Smith's original "Trekkie's Tale" was only ten paragraphs long, "in terms of their impact on those whom they affect, those words [Mary Sue] have got to rank right up there with the Selective Service Act."[10] At Clippercon 1987 (a Star Trek fan convention held yearly in Baltimore, Maryland), Smith interviewed a panel of female authors who say they do not include female characters in their stories at all. She quoted one as saying "Every time I've tried to put a woman in any story I've ever written, everyone immediately says, this is a Mary Sue."
This is a case where a specific angle of criticism has been relied upon so hard that it begins to feed back and actually have a negative impact on the development of content itself. If an author has in mind, "boy, I better not make this character a Mary Sue" the character will almost undoubtedly suffer for it no matter which way the "problem" is addressed. It's easy for me to extrapolate the relationship this concept has with the dearth of heroic female protagonists in popular fiction.

A related and very important idea is that pop conventional wisdom has at some point in the recent past begun to equate "tropes" with "mistakes."

This is to say that people watch movies with the idea in mind that they should be hunting for tropes- the more tropes they find, the worse the movie! This is part of why I find the whole M.O. of CinemaSins to be so joyless. Not only is this exercise fruitless- about as compelling as someone commenting on the quality of a meal based on how many ingredients they'd heard of in the recipe- it ignores the extremely strong, relevant reasons that tropes came to be in the first place. They're devices; tools used in service of story. In isolation they can be good or bad, but void of context they are are neither.

Yeah, I think it's telling that the TV Tropes entry on the term basically says that the term has gotten so vague and nebulous at this point that it's kind of hard to define by a modern standard.

notworksafe

I don't see how it's any different from Luke. He was a dopey, whiny farmboy from a backwater planet and two days later he's the best pilot in the military and has magic powers and shit.

liquidtmd

Banned
My problem with hearing the term again and again in the spoiler thread with people whining about Rey being is one...they came across as people who had heard the term once, and just took the term to project whatever individual problems they had or wanted to have with the character in it.

Regardless of her being one or not, I really don't understand people now saying Luke was a bigger one in ANH.

He doesn't fight Vader in ANH, Han saves his ass and then he uses the force to aim slightly better.
He hardly did anything else but follow Han's lead saving Leia.

Eidan

I don't see how it's any different from Luke. He was a dopey, whiny farmboy from a backwater planet and two days later he's the best pilot in the military and has magic powers and shit.

Yeah, I've yet to hear a convincing argument on how this Mary Sue garbage doesn't apply to Luke.

shira

This is a confusing OP, who are these people saying Rey is a Mary Sue?

edit: oh it's a post made into a thread

I think the piece that brings the whole "Rey is just an idealized Mary Sue" thing crashing down is that she's not flawless at anything she does throughout the entire movie.

She fumbles pretty badly at first when trying to fly the Falcon, struggling to manage a clean takeoff and only putting herself in more dangerous flight scenarios as she acclimates to the controls. They take quite a few hits in the meantime, too. (And she's never put in another dangerous flight scenario, so she doesn't even get a perfect dogfighting sequence at all.)

She messes up the fuses when trying to hack the freighter, inadvertently seeing the Rathtars loose.

She gets her ass pretty thoroughly handed to her by Kylo during their encounter on Takodana.

She has a tough time resisting Kylo's mind intrusions at first, letting him peer into her loneliness and her visions of the island.

She needs a few tries to muster up the confidence to nail her mind trick.

She is cornered by Kylo during their duel (he comments at this moment that "you need a teacher" which is just an absurd thing to say if she's unnaturally good) and only wins because she lets the (all-powerful) Force take over.

The only thing she's consistently good at is fixing the Falcon, which makes sense since it's heavily implied she's been working on it for years.

Corpekata

Banned
It, like Manic Pixie Dream Girl, has become such a widely known trope that it has been distorted. Girl is nerdy? MPDG. Girl is an action hero? Mary Sue!

Neoweee

A side discussion to the Sue discussion is whether TFA is like (good) fan fiction, with a lot of the plot being recycled or mirroring the original source material, but with bunch of new characters getting pulled into a larger, existing mythology and meeting & interacting with established heroes.

Regardless of her being one, I really don't understand people now saying Luke was a bigger one in ANH.

He doesn't even fight Vader in ANH, Han saves his ass and then he uses the force to aim slightly better.

One of the Max Landis videos discusses this in detail.

Luke spends most of ANH being a whiny dick and being saved by others. Multiple times by Obi-wan, multiple times by Han, and getting hurt/zapped during training. He does some things well, but fucks up or needs saving too much to be a Sue. Even in Empire, he loses, and gets saved. And then he loses his big battle at the end of the trilogy, only to get saved by his father.

If Rey is anywhere on the Sue spectrum, there is no way that Luke is a bigger one. Just, no.

I think she is at least a bit Sue-ish. Not a cartoony extreme, but there's definitely a thread, more-so than the heroes of the original trilogy.

TFA is the first Star Wars movie really written with a proper roadmap for the sequels to follow.

While yeah.. sure... Rey was a bit Mary Sue-ish in awakens it was probably done with the justification of "we have a plan to explain this stuff in movie 2" in mind.

Corpekata

Banned

It was all over the internet. A lot of it was because Max Landis said she was one, and a lot of people disagreed, yadda yadda yadda, big ol' debate about it in social media.

Aside from her fixing the Falcon when Chewie had issues with it in previous movies, i really had no problem with her. The Jedi mind trick kind of came out of nowhere, but like most everything else it can be explained as the force coming to her, or returning to her. And whatever anyone thinks, I think her getting the light saber at the end is the best moment in the movie, and one of the best in the series. And as a character she has existed on a pretty shitty world by herself for a long time, so she's bound to be skilled in many ways not even involving the force.

I have problems with the movie, but I feel that Rey fits in just fine with the series.

Wow, great write up. I'm going to see the film again but I didn't really think of her as overpowered when I left the first time.

I guess it's what people begged for in the Force. They wanted it to be unexplained magic. Mysterious and inconsistent instead of scientific (midichlorians). The Force has returned to being a mysterious deus ex machina and people now want it explained why Rey was able to "outforce" Ren.

Trokil

Banned
She is pretty much the perfect character for the fanboy crowd. They want this all powerful Jedi, all the EU stuff from the old Star Wars universe, how Jedis could destroy whole planets with the force.

In reality they never ever forgave Lucas that he made them completely use- and powerless in the prequels. They wanted those Jedis like Starkiller in Force Unleashed, you know they want to be in their fanfiction. Not Jedis that were fighting one Sith apprentice, while a kid, a teen and a moron were saving the day.

In Lucas universe Jedis were good fighters, skilled leaders, had good instincts and the force made them very strong. But the power of the emperor was never based on the force: He got to the top not because he was as Sith, it was because he was a politician. Most Jedis died against clone troopers, not in a fight against a Sith. They never were able to stop any of the political schemes of Palpatine.

Lucas Jedis never were that powerful as the fanboys wanted and imagined. The Mary Sue that is Ray is the Jedi the fanboys want to be. The superhuman, the chosen and the prodigy. While Lucas showed us all the flaws of the Jedis in the prequels, now they will get the real deal. So of course they don’t like, if somebody is raining on their parade now.

Of course for anybody else, Ray is Mary Sue, but any discussion would be against a whole fan culture and the ideas of several decades.

SeanC

Great post.

I look at this way, when you have a guy like Max Landis tweeting this:

LandisMarySue.png

It makes it that much clearer on what is right and what is wrong.

Being that Landis is kind of a dopey shit that writes male wish-fulfillment himself so the minute there's a woman that takes precedence in a story and happens to be good at stuff he has to call it Mary Sue fan fiction like a spoiled brat.

Carcetti

Never heard Rey called a Sue before. Guess I've been moving in good company, as she's clearly not. The people misusing that term need to be force-read some erotic Harry Potter fanfic.

I think at this point there has been more than a hundred pages of back and forth on Rey being a Mary Sue in the spoiler thread. Hence this post that now became this thread.

Outstanding post of course, a lot of Veelk's posts deserve a thread due to how comprehesive and well written they are.

Aside from her fixing the Falcon when Chewie had issues with it in previous movies

The only time this happened was in ESB, and only because the hyperdrive parts that were broken were irreparable and needed to be replaced.

Later on, when they're trying to escape at the end of the film, we're meant to think that the crew believed the hyperdrive was just never actually fixed (even Lando seems to think his people misled him), with R2 having learned that the Empire had it deactivated through interfacing with the city's central computer (which is even more wtf than Rey knowing how to fix it, given that this shouldn't have been info that was on record).

aliengmr

Great post, really.

I especially liked the comparisons to Luke. I came away with the impression that Rey accepted the force more easily than Luke and might have seemed more powerful, when she really isn't.

The difference in the portrayal of the force between the OT and the PT, was it was mysterious in the OT while Midichlorians quantified force power in the PT. It created a tiered system where Jedi were structured in absolute levels. Suddenly Yoda was powerful because his number was higher, instead of him having a much stronger connection to the Force.

Its like the assumption is Kylo Ren is level 50 and Rey is 5 and there is no way she has a chance, because numbers.

I never saw Rey doing anything more than Luke other than not being all stubborn about it. Also, the movie left a lot of things wide open to be explained later so...

You lost me when you said Bella Swan is a Mary Sue. She isn't, she is the most regular woman ever and that's the opposite of a Mary Sue who is someone perfect, well at least you got yourself covered when you say everyone see the term in their own way (it's true). Rey might not be one, but she didn't show any flaws in this first movie. She is still a great character to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom