• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reynatis Announced for PlayStation and Switch; July 2024 Release in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.
reynatis-keyart.png

During the Japanese broadcast of the Nintendo Direct Partners Showcase, developer Furyu announced a brand-new action RPG, titled Reynatis. The game will be releasing on Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, and PC via Steam on July 25th, 2024. As of the time of writing, it is unknown whether the game will come west.

Reynatis takes place in modern-day Tokyo, Shibuya. There, magicians, who are feared by the people because of their great power, are active. Marin Kirizumi, a young boy, goes to Shibuya in search of freedom. Sari Nishijima, a magician in charge of the police, patrols Shibuya, believing in justice. When these two protagonists from different backgrounds meet, the story begins to unfold. Reynatis allows players to switch between two modes: Supression and Release. Suppresion Mode allows you to hide your identity while exploring the overworld. If you are spotted however, the M.E.A. will immediately rush to their aid.
There will be two editions to the game according to the official website. The Liberators’ Edition and the Standard Edition, with the former including a DLC pack containing an EXP boost item, and collaboration items with Caligula and Monark, two other titles from Furyu. Furthermore, alternative costumes will also be included. Physical copies of the game will also include a soundtrack CD as a pre-order bonus.

The official website also reveals the staff behind the game. The scenario is written by Kazushige Nojima and the soundtrack is composed by Yoko Shimomura. Character design is handled by Yasutaka Kaburaki, with the key art by Yusuke Naora. The pre-rendered movies will be handled by StudioGOONEYS Inc. Takumi Isobe is the director and Natsume Atari Co. is the developer.

Last edited:
Potentially no western version is interesting. It has been a while since I’ve loaded up my Asia PSN account for an english sub of a JP-only game.
It's worth noting that PlayAsia will most likely have a listing up for the game so if you want it physically you can get it from them or alternatively directly from Amazon jp.

Edit: Just checked and both the standard and limited edition are up for pre-order. The only issue is that it might not be a multi-language release so better to wait a bit so the publisher can clarify that aspect. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

image.png

Last edited:
Seems like no pc version mentioned on official site. Hopefully western release by end of the year with pc version included.
So originally, they had Steam listed as well (you can still see it from the webpage embed in this post), but now they only list PS5, PS4, and Switch as platforms for this title.

Following the announcement of the Furyu-developed action RPG Reynatis, Famitsu interviewed director Takumi Isobe, scenario writer Kazushige Nojima, and composer Yoko Shimomura. Several topics are addressed, such as how Isobe managed to get Shimomura and Nojima on board and what the title’s influences are.

Unsurprisingly, Kingdom Hearts is stated explicitly, which makes sense given how Reynatis has an atmosphere incredibly similar to Quadratum, a world recently unveiled in the Kingdom Hearts series. Additionally, the main character has striking visual similarities to Yozora, a new character who seemingly lives in Quadratum and is clearly based on Noctics from the ill-fated Final Fantasy Versus XIII.

You can view select portions of this interview below, translated by our team’s Ryuji:

Interviewer: What is the meaning behind the name REYNATIS?

Isobe
: There are two words that form the basis of the title. The first is renatus, which, in Latin, means birth or rebirth. The word can also mean and refer to a born king in Spanish. The word itself also has an important meaning in the game, and you’ll understand as you play through it.

Interviewer: Many renowned creators are participating in the production of REYNATIS. How did you come to ask Nojima and Shimomura to work on this project?

Isobe
: When I thought of creators who could build REYNATIS’s dark world and the element of living in darkness to the maximum, the first person who came to mind was Nojima-san. I also thought that we would need some profound and divine music to go with it, and Shimomura came to mind, so I asked both of them to join us.

Interviewer: Interesting. Why were the two of them the first to come to mind?

Isobe
: I like dark fantasy and action RPGs, and I have been playing the Kingdom Hearts series since I was little. Because of that, they have influenced my values and sensibilities, and that is one of the reasons that led to my choice.

The interviewer then turns to Nojima and Shimomura.

Interviewer: What was your impression when you were asked to work on the project?

Nojima
: Not many people can come up with an easy-to-understand concept and theme from the initial planning stage. So, when Isobe-san clearly presented the idea, I felt it was fresh. Since I had just had some free time, I decided to visit.

Shimomura: Oh, so you had time, didn’t you? (laughs)

Nojima: Yes, I was interested in doing it, so I cleared my schedule (laughs). I wanted to work with new people as much as possible, so I accepted the REYNATIS proposal.

Interviewer: What about you, Shimomura-san?

Shimomura
: When he [Isobe] asked me to work with him, he said enthusiastically, and I quote, “I really want you to be in charge of this project!” I was impressed by how passionate he was about the job.

Interviewer: What were some of the memorable words you heard from Isobe-san?

Shimomura
: What left a strong impression on me was when he reported: “I got in touch with Nojima-san! (laughs).” He said, “I definitely want to ask Nojima to do the scenario. However, Nojima-san is a very busy person, so he does not disclose his contact information, does he?

Nojima: You’d be right.

Shimomura: There was a problem with being able to contact Nojima-san before making a job request, so I approached him via myself using social media.

Interviewer: Via social media!?

Shimomura: I think there is some hesitation in telling people about this, but I could feel from Isobe-san’s enthusiasm that he still wanted to get in touch with me somehow. That is why I was so happy when I heard from Mr. Isobe that he contacted Nojima.

Nojima: When I hear something like that, it makes me smile (laughs).

Isobe: I had no intention of continuing this project without your participation. I told my boss, “If either of you is missing, the project is forfeit” (laughs).

Everyone laughs.

[…]

Interviewer: What were your influences on the development of REYNATIS?

Isobe
: It would have to be the Kingdom Hearts and the Final Fantasy series. They have a big influence on my sense of values.

Interviewer: Nojima-san, did you have the freedom to write the scenario as you saw fit?

Nojima
: Yes. While some elements had to be included, I was pretty free to write. I wrote the plot and sent it for feedback, and over time, I gradually got a sense of the volume of the project, and it took shape.

Interviewer: So you were able to write a scenario that you liked?

Nojima
: Yes. I was able to create an atmosphere in which the characters were having a hard time in the dark world, but they all talked lightly to each other. But the main character, Marin, doesn’t really fit in, you see. (laughs)

You can view the full interview via Famitsu.

Seyken

The main problems are the game looks VERY low budget and the performance seems to be terrible as well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom