• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rhythm Thief |OT| Dancing into obscurity, now across the pacific!

Unless you want to get perfect ratings for each rhythm game then you shouldn't worry too much about the gyro controls. You can pass each game with a crappy score and keep progressing through the story normally.
If you really want this game get it soon though, it had a very small print.

Hmm ok, would you recommend it overall then just for the story and experience?

Sagitario

Damn, this took me a while!
dOkoo.png

Marie missions (and the Charlie matches) are my favorites, both in music and gameplay:
BwKAx.png

XzpkK.png

And while I enjoyed Samba Carnival a lot:
ESmBC.png

The second Samba de Amigo mission is frustratingly hard. I mean... WTF? D:

m0t0k1

The second Samba de Amigo mission is frustratingly hard. I mean... WTF? D:

I didnt have any problems with both. I used to play a lot of samba back in the day. The fight with alfred i completed first try with A rank. But the second fight with that asian kung fu master. Holy moly will never complete that. I still need that and those gun fights with the inspector to get all A rank but it is inpossible for me :*( . Still this game is great my nr2 game of the year.

Sagitario

I didnt have any problems with both. I used to play a lot of samba back in the day. The fight with alfred i completed first try with A rank. But the second fight with that asian kung fu master. Holy moly will never complete that. I still need that and those gun fights with the inspector to get all A rank but it is inpossible for me :*( . Still this game is great my nr2 game of the year.

Well, I just tried the second Samba game for at least 1 hour...

CdoPo.png

I don't think I will be able to do better. Oh well... :p

- Edit -
Woah! Just tried a few times again (so fun!)
1TarA.png

0 harsh, 3 less perfect, but higher combo count and score!

Sagitario

Well, after the New Years party, when everybody went home, I started playing RT (2 weeks since I last played it)... I was in the mood for something catchy.

I went to bed at almost 7am, and mostly because of this:
xAxXt.png

Took me about 1 hour. I had so much trouble with this level/mini-game.
I even felt the button presses weren't being registered. It isn't as catchy as the others fights with the Chevaliers Diabolique (of my favorites, btw) and there is just too much noise/sounds going on.
After I finally got the flow of it, the last rounds of 5+ chevaliers always threw me off.

And I am not looking forward to replying this one:
t0F2c.png

I am almost completely oblivious about the timing, I still can't believe I passed it (after so many tries).

m0t0k1

And I am not looking forward to replying this one:
t0F2c.png

I am almost completely oblivious about the timing, I still can't believe I passed it (after so many tries).

Just wait until you try R46 enter the waiter. Manly tears will be shed, cant A rank that one even if my life depends on it ;_;

Sagitario

It seems doable...

Though the second Space Channel game and Gone with the Wind are giving me trouble (the only ones where I don't have A-rank so far)

m0t0k1

It seems doable...

Though the second Space Channel game and Gone with the Wind are giving me trouble (the only ones where I don't have A-rank so far)

Do you spent your coins on items for a mini game. I really cant A rank all the games without them. I recommend using the one with 20 coins where your score doesn't fall as hard. I still need to to A rank about 6 games before i get r50.

So having bought this a while back before I finally bought a 3DS(XL), I started playing after going through a few other titles I had also picked up.

So far about 10 Rhythm games in, I'm enjoying it, even with multiple (and I mean MULTIPLE) attempts to A rank them. It can be a bit frustrating at first, but it pays off when you get the hang of it...though I hated r09. Two questions though: 1)is there any benefit for turning the guide off (i.e. bonus points) other than "LOOK AT ME! I CAN A RANK IT WITHOUT THE GUIDE!"? because it's a life saver and 2)are there any penalties for using items?

Otherwise, I'm glad to have picked this up (I say this before going further including the apparently infamous r46)...now if only I could get some StreetPass hits.

Sagitario

R38 - The True Chevaliers is hard. I can't get Charlie rhythm right, and during the third part of the game, everything goes into chaos with the 3 different rhythms. This will be difficult to A (or at least very time consuming :\).

Now, R39 - En Garde, Jean-François is freaking great and fun. It probably is too easy, but when the music is fantastic (Bach's Little Fugue in G
Z92P4jV.gif
) it just translates into instant fun for me. It won't be hard to get perfect :)

Do you spent your coins on items for a mini game. I really cant A rank all the games without them. I recommend using the one with 20 coins where your score doesn't fall as hard. I still need to to A rank about 6 games before i get r50.
I haven't spent any coins during the whole game (currently at 1803).

Sagitario

Finished the game. Ending was so underwhelming.

I am just missing a few A ranks (I really don't want to do "Gone with the wind").

"Enter the waiter" really shows of harsh is the rank system. One mistake in the third part and you got from A to C :\
Just spent a little bit more than 1 hour with "Enter the waiter". At first (and most of that hour) I was using a 3DS XL, but the tilt to right motion wasn't getting registered most of the time.
So I switched to a regular 3DS and the results were much better. Perhaps the difference had to do with the size of the console? Maybe you have to make more pronounced motions/tilts to activate it?

m0t0k1

Finished the game. Ending was so underwhelming.

I am just missing a few A ranks (I really don't want to do "Gone with the wind").

"Enter the waiter" really shows of harsh is the rank system. One mistake in the third part and you got from A to C :\
Just spent a little bit more than 1 hour with "Enter the waiter". At first (and most of that hour) I was using a 3DS XL, but the tilt to right motion wasn't getting registered most of the time.
So I switched to a regular 3DS and the results were much better. Perhaps the difference had to do with the size of the console? Maybe you have to make more pronounced motions/tilts to activate it?

I also miss a couple of A ranks it is just to hard for me one of them is R38 same troubles as you keep missing those charlie balls :p.

And the ending yeah i believe Sega is going to pull a Shenmue on that one. It makes me want the sequal even harder. But it did bombed in USA and EU did ok at best in japan. So i hope they are going to make another one but chances are small.

addyb

Bought this last week. Only done a few stages so far and really enjoying it. Managed to pick it up pre owned from my local Blockbuster for £16 :)

This game popped onto my radar after I heard the main theme play in a VGCW match. I just tried the demo, and I'm pretty sold on the gameplay. I enjoyed Space Channel 5 a lot. I'm probably going to buy it at some point, but how's the story? Any good? Is it as weird as Layton stories?

I remember the story lacking much punch, It really wants to go for that Layton style complete with riffing on its game structure to boot but it doesn't come together that well which is saying something as Layton itself tends to be nonsense, albeit enjoybale nonsense.
All of really recall of Rhythm Thief's plot is it leaving the most interesting plot thread dangling as sequel bait, yeah I don't think that one is getting resolved any time soon.

Still check it out, I'm not that big a fan of the game but its worth trying.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Hey, if anyone is still subscribed to this thread and has a little free time... does anyone have, or have the ability to scan the NA cover art? Like the full front, spine, and back?

Trying to do a favor for a friend and I can't find such a scan anywhere.

Thanks!

Shiggy

Bump! Finally finished this after switching from the retail version to the digital version from the Humble Bundle. I really enjoyed the story and cutscene, even though the game was just 7 hours long.

But, and that's a very big BUT, the rhythm games were terrible. In particular the motion controls were bad on my XL as they required rapid motions. Tilting the new 3DS XL forward in a rapid fashion was pretty terrible as the top screen is not really fixed due to Nintendo's odd design choices. Therefore the screen just flipped over...

Top Bottom