• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ridge Racer: Accelerated

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Do you know if they're going to add all of the RR2 PSP tracks eventually?

I wouldn't mind RR2 PSP being available as a PSN download...

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Diablohead said:
Since this thread is back on page 1 and half if not most of you ignore the iphone thread, I brought this and actually like it. It runs like shit though but it plays like an awesome ridge racer.

£1.79 for 2 circuits ( also mirror when unlocked ) and car class 1 and 2, 3 more circuits and car class 5 are DLC packs you can buy if you want them.

App crashed like 3 times on me last night lol so they seriously need to work on making it work better.
So how bad is the framerate? Ridge Racer at anything other than 60 fps seems wrong to me...but if it can't even hold 30 fps then I don't think I'd want to try it.

CamHostage

Parallax said:
ok, after only being able to see the pics on my phone yesterday i finally got a chance to see the video. please tell me this is a work in progress, because that shit looked horrible... the only good thing of the video was that it had disco ball as its theme....

Not a work in progress (unless it gets significantly better in future updates.) As you can tell from the more recent posts, the game was announced and shipped on the same day.

I really don't understand this effort. They could have done Ridge Racers on iPhone a dozen different ways (and they could have done it years ago too, I'm not sure how they got around to an Ace Combat before a simple Ridge Racer) but they chose to port the PSP game without an engine to support it (it looks like it runs even worse on a non-G3 iPhone, am I reading that correct?) It's a clever way of doing it (with a modular DLC system so you can add as many tracks and cars as you want for a price, I actually wouldn't mind the PSP game being re-released that way) but what's up with multiplayer in it and why does the engine runs poorly and was there not a better way of doing the graphics... why do to yourself and your fans the injustice of rushing Ridge Racer?

dark10x said:
So how bad is the framerate? Ridge Racer at anything other than 60 fps seems wrong to me...but if it can't even hold 30 fps then I don't think I'd want to try it.
On my 2g touch (533mhz) about 15-20fps :lol terrible I know, but it's not much better on a 3Gs (600mhz and a VR graphics chip) which has trouble staying at 30.

They did a very poor job on it and they say in the game notes that they are working on making it better, only reason for us seeing this early is because they want christmas sales.

Diablohead said:
On my 2g touch (533mhz) about 15-20fps :lol terrible I know, but it's not much better on a 3Gs (600mhz and a VR graphics chip) which has trouble staying at 30.

They did a very poor job on it and they say in the game notes that they are working on making it better, only reason for us seeing this early is because they want christmas sales.

What!? That's ridiculous considering how capable the hardware is. The mhz rating really doesn't tell half the story as the CortexA8 is a much better CPU than the old ARM11 and the SGX graphics chip is way more capable. It should be pulling off 60fps with ease.

Fwiw, all idevices use "VR" (as in GPUs designed by PowerVR) graphics chips, its just the SGX chip in the 3GS is much faster and more flexible than the old MBX Lite.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
I am just.....

.................................crushed.

Most dissapointing click on a thread I have ever done since coming here :(

brain_stew said:
What!? That's ridiculous considering how capable the hardware is. The mhz rating really doesn't tell half the story as the CortexA8 is a much better CPU than the old ARM11 and the SGX graphics chip is way more capable. It should be pulling off 60fps with ease.

Fwiw, all idevices use "VR" (as in GPUs designed by PowerVR) graphics chips, its just the SGX chip in the 3GS is much faster and more flexible than the old MBX Lite.
I can easily say that the game feels like something running in software mode and pushing a few too many effects to cause the slowdown, like a good game on an old computer. Probably why the 3Gs still plays it piss poor right now.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
AzureNightmareXE said:
man, I fail to see why the iPhone is so worthy of these half-assed efforts from developers.
It generates profit by default. Cheap development + huge name + huge platform + low price = Financial success story.

If a 1:1 port of the original Super Mario Bros. would be put onto the iPhone by Nintendo, they'd invest next to nothing and make insane sales numbers. It's the same principle on a smaller scale.

Diablohead said:
Probably why the 3Gs still plays it piss poor right now.
The 3GS only shines if you make a renderpath that's according to OpenGL ES 2.0 for it, which in turn takes way more effort than just going with 1.1.

angelfly

I entered this thread for the announcement of a new installment in my favorite racing series and I'm leaving disappointed. I guess I'll have to wait until the the launch of PS4/X720 for a new one :(

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Diablohead said:
Since this thread is back on page 1 and half if not most of you ignore the iphone thread, I brought this and actually like it. It runs like shit though but it plays like an awesome ridge racer.

£1.79 for 2 circuits ( also mirror when unlocked ) and car class 1 and 2, 3 more circuits and car class 5 are DLC packs you can buy if you want them.

App crashed like 3 times on me last night lol so they seriously need to work on making it work better.

in still shots it doesnt look bad(bad for a iphone game yeah, but not that bad) but the video makes it look hideous. and that crashing doesnt help it at all. but im curious. is there pay option where you can buy everything in one package, or do you have to buy the base game and extras seperately?

CamHostage said:
Not a work in progress (unless it gets significantly better in future updates.) As you can tell from the more recent posts, the game was announced and shipped on the same day.

that is a damn shame. i know they could have done a better job, but i guess with the budget team, you get what you pay for

I really don't understand this effort. They could have done Ridge Racers on iPhone a dozen different ways (and they could have done it years ago too, I'm not sure how they got around to an Ace Combat before a simple Ridge Racer) but they chose to port the PSP game without an engine to support it (it looks like it runs even worse on a non-G3 iPhone, am I reading that correct?) It's a clever way of doing it (with a modular DLC system so you can add as many tracks and cars as you want for a price, I actually wouldn't mind the PSP game being re-released that way) but what's up with multiplayer in it and why does the engine runs poorly and was there not a better way of doing the graphics... why do to yourself and your fans the injustice of rushing Ridge Racer?

are there videos of it running on different iphones? i would like to see that. its a shame that the other ridge racer for japanese phones seems to have a better grasp on the engine. i was kinda hoping this would be a port of that one.

Top Bottom