• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ridley Scott and Microsoft Team for Halo Digital Feature

m23

According to Microsoft, a “digital feature project” based on the Halo game series is in fact in the works from 343 Industries, Xbox Entertainment Studios, and Ridley Scott’s Scott Free Productions. The feature will be released later this year and will be executive produced by Scott and Scott Free TV President David Zucker. Sergio Mimica-Gezzan (Battlestar Galactica, Heroes) will direct the feature.

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2014/04/03/ridley-scott-and-microsoft-team-for-halo-digital-feature

So this will be in addition to the Speilberg project. Could be interesting.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
What's a digital feature project?

The Flash

Banned
ab7.gif

Bessy67

Sounds like something ntkrnl said though he mentioned Blomkamp and said details would be announced at Comic-Con.

Oh yeah, didn't he say there was going to be some live action included with H2A that wasn't the Spielberg thing? Although he's already been wrong about some things so who knows.

Sounds like something ntkrnl said though he mentioned Blomkamp and said details would be announced at Comic-Con.

Yeah here's his post about it. Sounds like it's part of H2A.

ntkrnl said:
That is the plan.

Let me reiterate some of the Halo stuff, as there is some confusion and I didn't lay all the cards down.

Two versions of H2A.

Collectors Edition with the Beta access, the Halo series (not the Blomkamp one)

War Collection with the above, as well as ports of Halo 3 & 4 for XB1.

Chettlar

Banned
Oh yeah, didn't he say there was going to be some live action included with H2A that wasn't the Spielberg thing? Although he's already been wrong about some things so who knows.

He said something about Halo, that was NOT the Spielberg thing, would be coming this year. I do remember that.

Chettlar

Banned
The Ridley Scott who directed Prometheus and The Counselor is going to skim the Halo digital feature script

who-gives-a-shit-harrison-ford.gif

Assistant director for Saving Private Ryan and Schindler's list is directing it though...

EDIT: I have no idea what it means. It really just means I hope it's good lol. He's worked thoroughly with Spielberg though, it appears. I suppose it could be that MS asked Spielberg to help with this one and he suggested this dude, from having worked with him. Idk.

EBE

Man, who the hell do you think would be good for this? This is already better than pretty well anything else you were ever going t get.

James Cameron. itd take 10 years to get done, though. he basically already has a template in Aliens, which Halo "stole" from (with the marines, i mean)

id wish Scott were super hands on with this, but i know hes got Exodus or whatever to work on. the man can be immaculate in his productions when he brings his A game. shit, even Prometheus was a visual feast.

Chettlar

Banned
James Cameron. itd take 10 years to get done, though. he basically already has a template in Aliens, which Halo "stole" from (with the marines, i mean)

id wish Scott were super hands on with this, but i know hes got Exodus or whatever to work on. the man can be immaculate in his productions when he brings his A game. shit, even Prometheus was a visual feast.

He's great with visuals, I'll give him that. Probably why they picked him.

man if blomkamp does anything halo gonna explode in confetti of happiness

I hope like everything that someday we get a full 2 1/2 hour feature film featuring the Arby and the Chief on some epic space adventure from him someday.

m23

He's been wrong about what things?

He said games with gold for Xbox One was starting in April and that didn't happen. He also got dates wrong for Xbox One release in tier 2 countries. I still have some faith though Halo 2 has to be happening.

Bessy67

He said games with gold for Xbox One was starting in April and that didn't happen. He also got dates wrong for Xbox One release in tier 2 countries. I still have some faith though Halo 2 has to be happening.
I'm confident that Halo 2 is happening. Phil Spencer has all but confirmed that. I'm still a little skeptical about there being a SKU that includes Halo 3 and 4 though.

Chettlar

Banned

Contentwise, however, he's been pretty spot on. His dates are the only things that have been off, including the countries. Tier two included. See, he said a certain country would get the Xbox One at such and such date (tier 2), but it didn't. That doesn't mean the country won't get the Xbox.

But yeah, as far as content goes, he's been right on. The Titanfall-themed Xbox One definitely proved that, even if he doesn't prove to be reliable, he's certainly the real deal.

Riptwo

I think that this sounds cool. I enjoyed both the Blomkamp short and Forward Unto Dawn, so I have confidence that those in charge of the property are going to make the right choices going forward.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Still want, no matter how many video treatments of Halo go through development hell, keep throwing 'em at us MS.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
So guys, which director do you think will join a future Halo movie project after this one is canned too?

Prine

Banned

To be fair he gave a close time frame on when to expect the announcement (he said April, though it was announced in March regarding tier 2). Unannounced releases dates are probably the hardest thing to predict, as I doubt the officials really know until the last minute.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
He's great with visuals, I'll give him that. Probably why they picked him.

I'd wager that Scott was signed on for name recognition and he'll more or less be a producer in name only. I strongly doubt he'll be hands-on; he has his own projects to focus on.

EGM1966

Not really a fan of this stuff. I like the games (mostly) but I'm not a fan of films/TV/media based on games which, truth be told, are mainly derrivative of material from those mediums in the first place. Looping around again just seems pointless to me.

Oh well - hopefully works out for those interested in the extended Universe stuff. With current trends and changes within Xbox you have to wonder how much longer they'll channel funds into this kind of stuff though.

EDIT : title is a bit misleading too - from the detail of the PR it's likely that the closest this will get to Ridley Scott himself is a short briefing. He's executive producing, which normally means pretty far from the production and only there due to political links (i.e. it's his production company).

Assistant director for Saving Private Ryan and Schindler's list is directing it though...

EDIT: I have no idea what it means. It really just means I hope it's good lol. He's worked thoroughly with Spielberg though, it appears. I suppose it could be that MS asked Spielberg to help with this one and he suggested this dude, from having worked with him. Idk.

That doesn't mean much. ADs are the rat on set; i.e., they make sure everybody is on time and doing their jobs.

Top Bottom