• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Right way to hold a controller (DS3, DS4, X360, etc)?

lt519

Maybe this goes in the stupid gaming questions but does everyone use their index fingers for bumpers and then middle fingers for triggers? Or do you just use your index finger for both bumpers and triggers?

I can't seem to wrap my head around using both my index and middle fingers and I feel like using your index finger for both is just not how it was meant to be. Every once and a while a game comes around where it seems I'm less effective (or more clumsy) this way using only my index fingers.

SerTapTap

Index for both unless I absolutely need to press two at once (I can't even remember a specific game needing you to do this) in which case I'll put my middle finger on the trigger. PS controllers even have a sweet groove between both for easy access for your index, on Xbox I usually just rest on either one.

ps3shksn.gif

For Dualshock 3, you are intended to use index finger for button and middle finger for trigger. Not understanding this is why people complain about their fingers slipping.

For Dualshock 4 and both Xbox controllers, you are intended to use index finger for both.

Sami+

I have a friend who uses his middle and ring fingers for the shoulder and trigger buttons and uses his index fingers on the sticks. It's hilarious.

Atlas157

For Dualshock 3, you are intended to use index finger for button and middle finger for trigger. Not understanding this is why people complain about their fingers slipping.

For Dualshock 4 and both Xbox controllers, you are intended to use index finger for both.

I use index fingers for both on Dualshock 3, my fingers never slip.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
Index for both.

And get this - when I'm playing Dark Souls, sometimes I'll even work the right analog with my finger, with my thumb underneath it on B so I don't have to stop running. I always felt like it was kind of a weird claw shape to make with my hand, but it works for me.

-griffy-

Banned
Index for both except for in rare, specific instances where the bumper and trigger need to be pressed at the same time.

On the PS1 I used index for L1,R1 and middle for L2,R2. Ever since the back triggers became more like actual "gun" triggers I started placing my index finger on those and forgot about my middle fingers.

Index fingers for shoulder buttons, middle fingers for triggers. Probably because I really started to play on consoles only since Wii U, and the GamePad was built mostly for this finger position/

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
DualShock 2 had the best setup. Index on L/R1 and middle on L/R2. Everyone's obsession with triggers (which are used 99% of the time as a binary input) ruined that.

Ashtar

For the most part I use index for both but I can switch it up and use middle for triggers I don't really like when game force me to use both though

I get so pissed when I see journalists at gaming conventions using their middle fingers for L2 and R2

Like, What the f### is wrong with you breh !

Soodanim

Index for both.

And get this - when I'm playing Dark Souls, sometimes I'll even work the right analog with my finger, with my thumb underneath it on B so I don't have to stop running. I always felt like it was kind of a weird claw shape to make with my hand, but it works for me.

That's the claw grip. It's well known, because I think we all do it!

It's one of the reasons I think Steam controller's extra shoulder/back buttons could do well. Mapping O/B to a back button as well as its regular button position would negate the need for the claw grip entirely.

Duxxy3

Index on L1/R1 for PS controllers. Middle finger on L2/R2 for DMC like games.

Index on Triggers for Xbox controllers. Middle finger on Triggers for DMC like games (awkward).

ricki42

Index for shoulder and middle for triggers. My hands are too small to comfortably reach both with the index finger without shifting my whole hands. Also, this way I can hit both at the same time.

lt519

People are obviously self-conscious of the way they hold a controller for one reason or another.

I wouldn't say self conscious, just curious if I am doing it wrong or what the majority of people do. I think it was Ni No Kuni that required quick R1 and R2 combinations especially switching into defend that I struggled with most.

Recently it's been playing some Vita (remote play) games where I have my index on the bumpers and then middle fingers weirdly on the back touch screen for triggers which made me reconsider how I held controllers.

I did a quick search on the forum for controller and hold and nothing came up.

Mindlog

I get so pissed when I see journalists at gaming conventions using their middle fingers for L2 and R2

Like, What the f### is wrong with you breh !
Who doesn't run Bumper Jumper?
Scrubs need to get on the level.

I normally run index on the shoulder row these days.
Middle fingers on the triggers is comfortable once you get used to it, but the very fragile DS4 triggers have to be treated carefully.

Mostly.
Modern controllers suck. There's plenty of room to increase access and comfort with button placement.
Crossing my fingers that Steam Controller alleviates some of these problems.

An example of why Bumper Jumper is superior.
Destiny -> Move, Aim, Jump, Grenade and Shoot accurately at the same time.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Index for both.

Like some others, it has to be a rare occasion for me to use my middle fingers. Just trying it now...and middle fingers feel so weird. Especially the left middle finger..

Soodanim

As someone who loves the souls games, I can say that it isn't necessary to play the game.

Well of course it isn't necessary, or the game would be considered broken by a lot of people. But claw grip is well known and used by a lot of people. It was also popular with Monster Hunter PSP players, because the d-pad moved the camera and you couldn't do that and move the character at the same time with just your thumb.

Top Bottom