• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rights groups sue BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit) over ‘filthy’, broken escalators

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalek

Rights groups sue BART over ‘filthy’ elevators, broken escalators

920x920.jpg

BART’s disgusting elevators, often sprayed with urine and populated with piles of poop, are unpleasant for everyone. But for people with disabilities, who have no choice but to use them, they’re a civil rights violation, according to a lawsuit filed Wednesday.

So are the transit system’s broken-down elevators and escalators, fare gates and call boxes and the lack of an adequate train-evacuation plan for people in wheelchairs, says the suit, filed in federal court in San Francisco by two advocacy groups and two people with disabilities.

The suit claims that BART illegally discriminates against people with mobility disabilities by making it difficult, unpleasant or impossible to access the transit system. It seeks a court order that BART fix the problems, but it does not seek any financial damages.

BART officials could not immediately be reached for comment Wednesday morning.

Getting into a BART station is routinely unpleasant and possibly unhealthy, said Ian Smith, a plaintiff and BART rider who uses a wheelchair.

“I encounter human waste in BART elevators several times a week — so frequently that it has become a predictable part of my commute,” Smith said. “My hope is that this lawsuit will finally get BART to address the needs of the disability community.”

Smith has a power wheelchair but said many of his friends have manual chairs and more unsanitary troubles.

“Your hands touch your wheels, your wheels touch the floor,” he said. “A lot of people carry gloves, carry hand sanitizer. It’s not pleasant.”

Pi Ra, 63, who teaches young activists at Senior and Disability Action, is also a plaintiff. A disability involving his feet requires him to wear special shoes and limit his walking lest his feet get blistered and infected. He commutes daily on BART from Concord to Civic Center station, where the unreliable escalators often force him to take longer walks to a working escalator or use the often-filthy elevators.

“Even though they put new floors in and cleaned the wells, it’s still disgusting,” he said. “It’s the odor and the new deposits and the trash. They just don’t clean it enough.”

Between the broken escalators and awful elevators, he said, “It’s just not accessible.”

The suit was filed by nonprofit law firms Disability Rights Advocates and Legal Aid at Work on behalf of Senior and Disability Action; the Independent Living Resource Center of San Francisco; and Smith and Ra.

Jinny Kim, an attorney for Legal Aid at Work, said the advocacy groups decided to go to court because a series of changes enacted after settlements with BART in the 1990s seemed to have slipped in recent years.

“We started investigating complaints and found out there are problems,” she said.

For those that don't know-many times the escalators are broken (becoming stairs, yes) because they are clogged with human feces.

Slayven

Rights groups sue BART over ‘filthy' elevators, broken escalators

For those that don't know-many times the escalators are broken (becoming stairs, yes) because they are clogged with human feces.
Who is doing all the shitting? Bronsonlee spends a lot of time in the SF area, just saying
I can't say I've ever encoutered piles of human shit on MARTA in Atlanta. So I guess it has that going for it.

Have you seen the another human on the MARTA?

Just kidding, wonderful system people should use it more and it should be expanded

Volimar

That horrific. My wheelchair has a metal wheel attached to the main wheel so at least I don't have to grip the wheel itself. The disabled in this country are invisible to the government unless it is convenient, it's really unfortunate.

I can't say I've ever encoutered piles of human shit on MARTA in Atlanta. So I guess it has that going for it.

Sometimes it's the little things that brighten your day.

I cannot honestly think of a single positive story I have read about SF in so many years now. It just seems like a profoundly repulsive place to me.

Isotropy

Who is trashing the system in the first place?

Also, do the authorities actually have the funding to maintain it properly? If not, suing them probably isn't going to help.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Force SF companies to use it and not have their own private transportation options. It'll get better.

ezrarh

San Francisco should get rid of rent control and up property taxes to better reflect current values. That'll do it.

We have a lot of homeless, addicts and mentally ill here. BART is a respite, a place to sleep, to hit people up for cash, to shoot up, and yeah, to piss and shit. And its only been getting worse as downtown continues its glitzy makeover via luxury construction projects.

I've seen all of the above often enough, and often in full view.

San Francisco should get rid of rent control and up property taxes to better reflect current values. That'll do it.
That'll just evict the rest of the folks still trying to hold on. And many of those people will end up on the street or dead.

I moved to the Bay Area in 2006, and when I remarked to a friend that I had never seen a working bathroom at a BART station he claimed that they were shut down as a 'security risk' after 9/11, and then they just used it as an excuse to never have to maintain bathrooms for the human beings that use their service.

More public restrooms are desperately needed. I swear I wanted to take a shit on a BART elevator too. Luckily, I made it out and found some store and relieved myself there

Dalek

I moved to the Bay Area in 2006, and when I remarked to a friend that I had never seen a working bathroom at a BART station he claimed that they were shut down as a 'security risk' after 9/11, and then they just used it as an excuse to never have to maintain bathrooms for the human beings that use their service.

This is true-because they are shut down in San Francisco, but the one at the Castro Valley BART works just fine. I had the misfortune of having to use it once in a bowel emergency.

wutwutwut

That'll just evict the rest of the folks still trying to hold on. And many of those people will end up on the street or dead.
There are two separate issues here. Proposition 13, which has completely distorted the housing market, made the NIMBY position have no corresponding tradeoff in higher property taxes, and is just all around indefensible.

Rent control is a natural extension of proposition 13. Without proposition 13 it would be harder to justify, but there would be far more housing constructed than today so rents would be lower all around.

Glix

Bart has to do better but ppl/society have to do better too.

Shitting in an elevator is pretty fucked up.

Jenov

So much shit it stopped the escalator?? That's horrifyingly gross. I was in the bay area last year for a wedding (used Uber, not BART) and was amazed at the amount of homeless people just laying around on the street and buildings mid day. Many of them I suspect to be mentally troubled. They need to tax more on the ultra wealthy and clean up the place, help those people out. The lawsuit sounds totally legit, I hope they win.

KodaRuss

The trailers that have portable restrooms on them around the city is a great idea for the most part. I honestly would not even know where to start to try to fix this problem with the amount of homeless/mentally ill in SF.

It was incredibly depressing when I was there in September.

ezrarh

It would raise enough money to have working bathrooms in BART stations at least. For a city with >$200 million for the homeless, it's shit. Both figuratively and literally.

sarcastor

It would raise enough money to have working bathrooms in BART stations at least. For a city with >$200 million for the homeless, it's shit. Both figuratively and literally.

We can't have nice public bathrooms​ and escalators cause all the crazy homeless people will ruin it. There's only like 6,000 homeless people here but I feel a large majority of them are crazy to some extent and simply don't care.

SF is much warmer and nicer to homeless people so it's a problem that wont go away. Also Bart is not exactly swimming in money. And it's not designed to carry the amount of commuters it faces everyday, so their infrastructure is a bit lacking in upkeep.

tmarg

I don't know what to think about this. I feel for the people having trouble using the transit, but if you set a precedent of holding businesses responsible for not cleaning up after homeless people quickly enough, things will probably get ugly.

We can't have nice public bathrooms​ and escalators cause all the crazy homeless people will ruin it. There's only like 6,000 homeless people here but I feel a large majority of them are crazy to some extent and simply don't care.

SF is much warmer and nicer to homeless people so it's a problem that wont go away. Also Bart is not exactly swimming in money. And it's not designed to carry the amount of commuters it faces everyday, so their infrastructure is a bit lacking in upkeep.

It's so weak to blame homeless people in a wealthy city that claims it can't afford public restrooms.

Flux

Wow it makes me thankful that the homeless haven't completely ruined the TTC or GO. Those are awful conditions for people to just get to and from work/school.

jay

One thing liberals and conservatives can agree on is treating the homeless like non-humans.

Where is the Pepsi commercial about this?

dc3k

SF is a toilet, and neither the city nor the SFPD give a fuck about helping the homeless.

M52B28

Banned
It's not like people are randomly pooping on the elevator and escalator, etc.

For those who haven't heard, San Francisco has a massive homeless issue, and it seems that it will not be worked on any time soon even though there is quite a bit of bad press about it.

San Francisco has the worst homeless problem out of the greater majority of cities within the United States. It is so bad that even us and the average citizen can't do anything​ despite attempting to vote in a different mayor that will at least bring along some kind of change.

I think the main problem is San Francisco's lack of native residents. When people move into a new city, especially for the business reasons that many have moved to San Francisco for, they are more likely to not participate in local elections. We seriously need someone else in the local office besides Mayor Ed Lee.

I cannot believe that my family used to live in this city. It was once a really good place to live, but now, it's a shell of what it once was.

riotous

Banned
One thing liberals and conservatives can agree on is treating the homeless like non-humans.

Where is the Pepsi commercial about this?

The reason homeless people flock to liberal cities like SF and Seattle is because the liberal residents are more generous to them.

Fuchsdh

Better they trash public restrooms than public transit.

Especially when too many of those wealthy people were instrumental in making them homeless in the first place.

I highly doubt any significant majority of the people causing these issues were longtime displaced SF residents. Far more likely they came from somewhere else and had drug and mental health issues before that; that's what causes the chronic homelessness, not the other way around.

gaugebozo

Who is doing all the shitting? Bronsonlee spends a lot of time in the SF area, just saying

Have you seen the another human on the MARTA?

Just kidding, wonderful system people should use it more and it should be expanded
MARTA was the only thing that got me to the airport on time after that blizzard this winter. At least for a visitor, it was great.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Why, out of all places, would you want to shit on an escalator?

homeless people looking for privacy id guess. ive never seen shit, but some of the metro elevators here in la have stark smell of piss floating around a urinal puck sometimes

Homeless people aren't the only ones who piss and shit and puke all over the city. Drunk people, even rich drunk people, will act like animals and just lift a leg a crap and crap into a mailbox. When a Giants game gets out a crowd of people with homes pour out of the stadium and just piss and dry-heave all over everything and anyone.

digdug2k

I never understood why the city couldn't make a concerted effort to build some self cleaning toilets.... everywhere. Like, even the businesses in downtown have "no bathrooms" signs on their front doors (as opposed to Portland where I've seen signs saying "free showers for homeless" in the windows.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Homeless people aren't the only ones who piss and shit and puke all over the city. Drunk people, even rich drunk people, will act like animals and just lift a leg a crap and crap into a mailbox. When a Giants game gets out a crowd of people with homes pour out of the stadium and just piss and dry-heave all over everything and anyone.

WTF??? I grew up in SF and I've never seen anyone shit into a mailbox.

majik13

use Bart quite frequently at Bart, and yeah no joke, about half the time they are broken. Cant say I have noticed shit or urine. But yeah they are pretty old and dirty though.

Syriel

It's San Francisco. People will shit anywhere. It's no joke.

http://mochimachine.org/wasteland/

Property taxes are a state thing. Rent control is the biggest local issue combined with a NIMBY attitude. Locals who have RC want their cheap rent and "2-3 story City," consistently voting down high density projects.

It's a simple supply and demand thing. When anyone with $200 to spare (and I mean anyone) can hold up a construction project for "MAH VIEWS!!!" or "MAH SUNLIGHT!!!," even if said project is 100% to city zoning and code, new projects are slow and expensive.

And when you have rent control and are insulated from the cost of living in the City, it's very easy to keep that NIMBY streak going strong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom