• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Riot Games hires its first Chief "Diversity and inclusion" Officer.

Xenon

And of course silence on the subject after. Quotes Shaun King. Yeah she's all about bringing people together.

angelic

Banned
Lmao what a clown she is. He's a minority liberal so let's reserve judgement. Diversity signalling people are some of the most prejudiced around.

Technically shouldn't HR resources be in charge of this? Is it really necessary to create a new position?

There is new international regulation that FORCES an officer for these maters on every Board of Directors. And yes, for her it is necessary. How else she would get paid that high without contributing a single dime on the EBITDA?

people have to realize how outrageous this shit is. Basically, public institutions are imposing private companies to spend a good deal of money on a high executive who is pretty much unaccountable for her performance and even worse, may act against the meritocracy corporative culture.

This is the sort of regulation you would have in a communist country.

Last edited:

Akira1983

Banned
RXL59KQhMPXV2pAT5ipdwN-650-80.jpg

So this reads a lot like them making a quota checklist than actual diversity. I feel like most of these people jumping on the Diversity and Inclusive train known what those words actually mean.

I mean "cultural definitions" is the type of buzz words you'd expect if these companies all circulated a checklist of what to do and what to say.

Also there's no such thing as "bro culture" they are just taking words and shoving them together so they don't have to say what they REALLY want to.

What? Bro culture is definitely a thing. A shitty thing, hope it dies out completely some day

Shmunter

And of course silence on the subject after. Quotes Shaun King. Yeah she's all about bringing people together.

The police would have no problem making it up. But the oppressed minority, unthinkable.

That’s some 100% prime Woke and perfect choice for a made up position like Diversity officer.

Last edited:

autoduelist

'Diversity training' seminars at corporations are just a rebranded version of 're-education camps' we used to be warned about in communist countries. End your wrongthink or you are fired. Change my mind.

autoduelist

Yes, there is a bro culture. Yes, bro culture is in the gaming industry to varying degrees (and in tech.) They can be toxic, similar to a mean girls club except it's guys. Unfortunately, even if these groups may not have any power over your job, a toxic bro culture can drain the atmosphere of any department.

You can argue whether toxic bro culture can have an impact but not it's existence.

It isn't toxic. At all. Men simply deal with issues differently. For example, say you are playing a game with 3 other dudes. Joe makes a bad move. Pete calls him a fuckwad for being an idiot. Joe laughs and punches Pete in the arm. Mike throws an empty beer can at them, tells them to shut up and play the game. Everybody laughs and moves on. No feelings are hurt. Loser buys pizza. They talk about sports between bites.

This is obviously a silly example, but this is raw male behavior and it all has reasons. Its how men deal with group situations, rank each other, and generally have gotten through situations, good and bad, through millennia. It gets us through that poker game, it gets us through a shitty day at work, it gets us through war. It makes us better friends. It makes us willing to die for each other. It's why guys who actually have a physical fight often befriend each other after.

They've learned this behavior like any other mammal, through group play as kids. Rassling and rough housing. King of the hill. All sorts of games that involve flicking friends, punching them in the arm, and other nonsense. It is male bonding. It is shared experience. It is healthy and good.

Now take two of them, and have them play the game with two women. One of the women makes a bad move, and everybody keeps their mouth shut. Politeness rules. Nobody plays roughhouse. Yeah. The guys politely nod and dont speak thier mind. That isnt progress. They aren't better men for it.

'Toxic bro culture' isnt toxic. It is absolutely healthy behavior between males. What is toxic is calling it toxic, telling them to change, telling them to stop being who they are. What is toxic is saying 'boys will be boys' is toxic. Yes. Boys will be boys. They need to be boys. And if you tell a generation of men that their masculinity is a problem, you will only fuck them in the head.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It isn't toxic. At all. Men simply deal with issues differently. For example, say you are playing a game with 3 other dudes. Joe makes a bad move. Pete calls him a fuckwad for being an idiot. Joe laughs and punches Pete in the arm. Mike throws an empty beer can at them, tells them to shut up and play the game. Everybody laughs and moves on. No feelings are hurt. Loser buys pizza. They talk about sports between bites.

This is obviously a silly example, but this is raw male behavior and it all has reasons. Its how men deal with group situations, rank each other, and generally have gotten through situations, good and bad, through millennia. It gets us through that poker game, it gets us through a shitty day at work, it gets us through war. It makes us better friends. It makes us willing to die for each other. It's why guys who actually have a physical fight often befriend each other after.

They've learned this behavior like any other mammal, through group play as kids. Rassling and rough housing. King of the hill. All sorts of games that involve flicking friends, punching them in the arm, and other nonsense. It is male bonding. It is shared experience. It is healthy and good.

Now take two of them, and have them play the game with two women. One of the women makes a bad move, and everybody keeps their mouth shut. Politeness rules. Nobody plays roughhouse. Yeah. The guys politely nod and dont speak thier mind. That isnt progress. They aren't better men for it.

'Toxic bro culture' isnt toxic. It is absolutely healthy behavior between males. What is toxic is calling it toxic, telling them to change, telling them to stop being who they are.

What is toxic is saying 'boys will be boys' is toxic. Yes. Boys will be boys. They need to be boys. And if you tell a generation of men that their masculinity is a problem, you will only fuck them in the head.
Good points.

Like most things in life, men are inherently more powerful in terms of physical traits and emotions. Guys getting into real fights can make up better than women getting bitchy and catty. Guys in school can piss each other off into a fist fight. And in a week they might brush it off and be best buds in gym class. I've done it myself. Sounds impossible and odd, but as a guy sometimes you brush that shit off as "just being a guy I guess"

So what happens with policies is that they will usually cater to the lowest common denominator for numerous reasons:

- It covers as many people as possible

- The stronger people are expected to "take it better and just accept it". This is no different than taxes. The richer you are, the more you pay in terms of $$$ and even at an inflated tax rate

- It makes the little guy (or group) feel better. So in turn, if they get their spirits up, it leads to a better society. The old "give the little guy a break"

- It's always easier to blame others, and hope they change "as they should know better". But rarely does anyone say to the victim to smarten up. In this case, anyone getting blasted with inane toxic cultures shouldn't be exposed to that, so this point doesn't apply. But for some other things in life where the natural thing to think is for someone to don't dick around, instead people complain and hope others do it for them

-

Last edited:

GhostOfTsu

Banned
I see that all the time, and I work in an office.

There are some coworkers I've known who have been on mat leave more than actually working (Canada has 52 week mat leaves.....and now has optional 78 week mat leaves.... yeah 1.5 years). They come back from mat leave are already 3 months pregnant. Then the manager has to mess around shuffling employees around again as it's illegal to fire or downgrade an employee who came back from mat leave.

The worst part isn't even that, but the woman telling the boss the week before returning she isn't coming back. So now the manager has go and find a new employee. The worker's spot has been saved the whole 52 weeks, and instead of telling the boss she isn't coming back months before, a slap in the face to the coworkers (who had been covering her work for a year) and the company who now has to hurry up and hire a new employee.

From what I've seen working in an office my whole life, women are less stable employees. And that's excluding mat leaves. Women seem to get sick more and do weird short term illness stints all the time. Yet for guys, they show up for work consistently. At my current work I've seen zero guys go on short/long term illnesses stints. Female employees, I've seen at least 5-6 do it. One day that are at work. Next day, they are gone and nobody knows why. It's illegal to even ask. All they need is a doctor's authorization. So the employee doesn't even have to tell the boss what's wrong. Retarded.

And women wonder why guys typically rise through the ranks more often.

Same! This is so familiar to me, it's like we work at the same place lol They are there and then the next day they are gone for months and then they come back to "reset" their short term and then they leave again. They can't fire them.

I've always wanted to do that. What do you even say the doctor to get that paper? This is like winning the lottery lol what's their secret?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Same! This is so familiar to me, it's like we work at the same place lol They are there and then the next day they are gone for months and then they come back to "reset" their short term and then they leave again. They can't fire them.

I've always wanted to do that. What do you even say the doctor to get that paper? This is like winning the lottery lol what's their secret?
Easy. All you do is complain to a doctor you are really stressed out and need time off. You don't need to have a disease or real workplace injury. As long as a doctor agrees, you get a formal letter signed off and you take that to HR. Done deal. And the employer can't fire you.

One fucknut went on stress leave, and turned it into a global vacation. Her facebook had pics of her and her hubby doing trips in Asia for like 2 months.

I guess that's the best way to get 8 weeks vacation. Asshead.

Last edited:

There are some coworkers I've known who have been on mat leave more than actually working (Canada has 52 week mat leaves.....and now has optional 78 week mat leaves.... yeah 1.5 years). They come back from mat leave are already 3 months pregnant. Then the manager has to mess around shuffling employees around again as it's illegal to fire or downgrade an employee who came back from mat leave.

The worst part isn't even that, but the woman telling the boss the week before returning she isn't coming back. So now the manager has go and find a new employee. The worker's spot has been saved the whole 52 weeks, and instead of telling the boss she isn't coming back months before, a slap in the face to the coworkers (who had been covering her work for a year) and the company who now has to hurry up and hire a new employee.

From what I've seen working in an office my whole life, women are less stable employees. And that's excluding mat leaves. Women seem to get sick more and do weird short term illness stints all the time. Yet for guys, they show up for work consistently. At my current work I've seen zero guys go on short/long term illnesses stints. Female employees, I've seen at least 5-6 do it. One day that are at work. Next day, they are gone and nobody knows why. It's illegal to even ask. All they need is a doctor's authorization. So the employee doesn't even have to tell the boss what's wrong. Retarded.

In nursing this is absolutely 100% true. You aren't even including all the times they call in because their "kid is sick."

autoduelist

Look into army and navy pregnancies. It's a huge issue especially right before deployment.

Iirc, something like 16% of women deployed in a ship get reassigned to land duty a year due to pregnancy. This is incredibly expensive, and causes some massive workload issues because the position the navy paid to train them in may not be easily filed by another replacement.

Let me find an article... ok....

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/apr/12/pregnant-navy-sailors-reassigned-to-shore-duty/

"Women are reassigned to shore duty far more frequently than men, 50 percent more often by the Navy’s own figures, and this is particularly costly to the Navy as it anticipates dramatic expansion under President Trump’s plans to restore the military to top fighting strength. Jude Eden, author of several books about women in the military and himself a Marine veteran of the war in Iraq, says the training and subsequent transfer of a pregnant woman from ship to shore costs the Navy up to $30,000, and such transfers cost the Navy $110 million in 2016 alone.."

I remember hearing its also an epidemic right before the army is shipping a troop overseas.

Yeah probably worse than when people were being sexually harassed and joking about rape

I'm sure those are things that absolutely happened without a shadow of a doubt, people would never lie about assault for personal gain, where can you find any examples of that?

But even if they did, the solution isn't Orwellian bullshit like hiring a "diversity and inclusion officer"

I wonder how many industry insiders read NeoGAF? Surely to get an accurate barometer of studio success or popularity, they could just spend 5 mins on here and see what's up? I bet GAF is probably NSFW at most studios, dissenting opinion and all that.

haxan7

Banned
I mean from a business perspective, if they are getting shit for having a bro culture or whatever (as the article puts it), this is clearly a smart move, and I applaud them for it. If I was running a company and I had internet SJWs breathing down my neck and trying to ruin everything I've worked for, this seems like exactly the right way to combat that without sacrificing any of my own principles.

Nickolaidas

Pretty amazing since thing like construction work, shipping/warehousing, contractor work, are probably 99% guys too, yet you never hear about cracking down on guys acting like guys.

I think we should all fight for trans, gay, women and lesbians to work on construction and warehousing jobs. Enough with the male dominance in those matters!

Nickolaidas

I wonder how many industry insiders read NeoGAF? Surely to get an accurate barometer of studio success or popularity, they could just spend 5 mins on here and see what's up? I bet GAF is probably NSFW at most studios, dissenting opinion and all that.

Do GAFers swarm their twitter with insults and threats? Do they keep asking and shouting for those 'responsible' to get fired? Do they ban anyone who has a different opinion? If no, they're not a problem for these companies, until AFTER the sales numbers start dropping in ...

McCheese

My hot-take is there are probably good and bad diversity officers.

Those who help ground-up schemes to encourage more folks from minority backgrounds to train up and join the industry are great, but it's a slow burn and it's going to take a while to see results.

Those who simply pressure HR to prioritise colour and sex over experience in the hiring process get results quicker; but are essentially poisoning the company from within.

Now, the left argues 'nobody is doing that' but then they also blissfully ignore all concrete evidence. Take for example when folks discovered that the facial animator on Andromeda was a cosplayer with no previous experience who had been a diversity hire. Anybody who even dared suggest that the game suffered as a result of diversity hiring got banned on the spot. So, I'm not against diversity hiring, but I am against the censorship of discussing when it's done poorly to the detriment of the companies output.

Last edited:

Greedings

I'm so jealous of these people. They basically made up a position, pitched it to big companies and blag a 6 figure salary for their made up position.

It's devious to the max.

I think we should all fight for trans, gay, women and lesbians to work on construction and warehousing jobs. Enough with the male dominance in those matters!

Yes, you'll notice feminists all appear just fine and dandy with leaving labor jobs to men, hypocritical slimes.

Take for example when folks discovered that the facial animator on Andromeda was a cosplayer with no previous experience who had been a diversity hire. .

Who exactly? I seem to remember hearing something about that.

Orta

Banned
We had one of them at work a while back. Basically we were called into the meeting room every Friday for ten minutes and were subtly reminded of our white privilege. The guy only lasted a few weeks as none of us bothered showing up and listening to his crap.

Stuart360

We had one of them at work a while back. Basically we were called into the meeting room every Friday for ten minutes and were subtly reminded of our white privilege. The guy only lasted a few weeks as none of us bothered showing up and listening to his crap.
Dem evil white people tho, get shot of the lot of them.

No good can come from naming and shaming folks, who knows what on-the-job training they were promised etc.

Eh, I Googled and it's no one I've ever heard of anyway.

I was thinking of Sam Maggs, the woman who reacted to modded "rape" in GTAV as if people were being raped for real, but she's a writer, not an animator so....

Do GAFers swarm their twitter with insults and threats? Do they keep asking and shouting for those 'responsible' to get fired? Do they ban anyone who has a different opinion? If no, they're not a problem for these companies, until AFTER the sales numbers start dropping in ...

Sure. GAF used to be the number one industry insider forum, no? I wonder if it still is and if this studio can read the comments here.

If I was an employer at their studio and read these comments I'd probably lol

Winter John

I can tell you ain't never worked in a warehouse. If you had you'd know a lot of women work in them places. I've been on a bunch of construction sites and met gay guys workin on them. They weren't flauntin it but they weren't hidin it neither. Probably cos most of them could kick the ever loving shit out of anyone who wanted to give them trouble.

Paracelsus

The smallest dog barks the loudest. Usually it's who is pushing for something that has no solid foundation in the real world (tl;dr vocal minorities) that does that.

Kagey K

Banned
And people say a gender studies degree can't land you a job!
I stand corrected, I always thought it was a McDonalds degree, but somebody made it work for them.
Yeah probably worse than when people were being sexually harassed and joking about rape

Yeah now you can be harassed by a POC. Then the police have to decide if it was harassment or if your rejection was a hate crime.

I hope you aren’t suggesting POC and minorities don’t harass women or joke about rape. If you are I think there’s a bigger problem here.

Last edited:

RedVIper

Banned
I can tell you ain't never worked in a warehouse. If you had you'd know a lot of women work in them places. I've been on a bunch of construction sites and met gay guys workin on them. They weren't flauntin it but they weren't hidin it neither. Probably cos most of them could kick the ever loving shit out of anyone who wanted to give them trouble.

A lot of women doesn't really oppose that the majority of the people working in construction (And other somewhat dangerous jobs) are men. There are alot of women working in video games and STEM, but you still see a people bitching that we need more diversity in those areas.

Zeusexy

LUL. They should rename the position to "Discrimination against white heterosexual males and anti-meritocracy". Riot is cucked.

Kagey K

Banned
MFW when somebody talk about "diversity"

U8e38EI.gif
I wish I could like this post 1000 times. I fear for my son who in a few years will be looking for a job, while being white, male and (straight?) unsure about the last part yet.

Last edited:

ROMhack

I think diversity/equality promotion is a good thing but not only when it's about skin colour or genitalia. All too often non-trendy topics get swept under the rug.

For instance, there's still loads of stigma about hiring people with physical disabilities. Kinda sucks.

Last edited:

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
She looks like a Stock Photo.
Didnt know Stock Photo was feminine.

As a Diversity officer, she should do something about it. The terminology of the word Stock Photo has to be gender neutral.

Else Riot Games is done for the count.

Top Bottom