• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rip models & maps from any 3D game

border

This is pretty cool -- could these models be inserted into any other game with relative ease, or would you have to write whole new animation routines?

Zenith said:
it doesn't work with MGS2. at least it didn't a few months ago. don't know if the version's been updated since then.

Naked Snake am cry :'(

What other games have nekkid or semi-nekkid male characters?

I'm getting a Direct X 9 error when I try running it. I installed the updated version via Microsoft's site, but it still isn't working.

iamblades

border said:
This is pretty cool -- could these models be inserted into any other game with relative ease, or would you have to write whole new animation routines?

You would have to reanimate it, or use the preexisting in game animation if they fit the model. If a game/mod lets you put your own models it will have standard animations for them.

You probably will have to setup up the skeletal system for the model though, as I doubt those are captured.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
Just imagine if someone created this sort of art:

d05d2e35.jpg

Wondering.jpg

Nester-x

I've always thought this kind of thing could be used well with Second Life. Someone could recreate portions of classic games, like a game-themed amusement park.

border

Naked Snake said:
Naked Snake am cry :'(

What other games have nekkid or semi-nekkid male characters?
None of these games would have the dirty bits modeled, so I dunno what the point is with naked dudes.

I would guess that Singles has a bunch of naked dudes in it (with modeled anatomy), but I doubt you need this program to see it.

Matix

btrboyev said:
I'd be pissed if I were a 3d modeler for these games.

Why, especially if this content could help inform, inspire and motivate countless 3D artist/modelers.

btrboyev

with what? trying to rip off models and use them in other games? There are plenty of model examples out there for people to study that are free.

mollipen

btrboyev said:
with what? trying to rip off models and use them in other games? There are plenty of model examples out there for people to study that are free.

No serious retail game is going to just rip character models from some game to use in their own, and who cares if fans have fun with the models?

dfyb

Banned
btrboyev said:
I'd be pissed if I were a 3d modeler for these games.
you would have already gotten paid, and it's not like they could seriously use these captured models for their own game.

these captured models are just that single pose. no rig, no animations. think of it more like a 3D screenshot.

Ronok

btrboyev said:

.........Yeah there are plenty of models to study that are free, most of them however are boring genetic pos..... :-/

Why wouldn't you want to look at models that have actually made it into games? You know check out the standard you need to be at...... :-/

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Use this with the FabAtHome project and kits... "print" out 3D models and figurines directly from game models!

Actually, the fabrication thing is pretty neat; I hadn't any idea such things were possible for consumer use at the moment.

dock

btrboyev said:
I'm a professional games artist and I'm not too keen on the idea of people ripping off my work and ****ing around with it either, or worse yet 'modifying' it into their own characters. I can see your point, but it doesn't sit well with me.

Rorschach

Matix said:
Why, especially if this content could help inform, inspire and motivate countless 3D artist/modelers.
If you're really into it and studying it, they can find PLENTY of books, online tutorials, and dvds to help. There are also tons of free official downloads and user created content by teachers and enthusiasts that actually take you through the process step by step and some even throw in the animations. There are some awesome projects online that teach you everything from simple geometric figures to advanced HDR techniques. Not to mention the models already included in pretty much every program out-of-the-box to experiment with.

dock UK said:
I'm a professional games artist and I'm not too keen on the idea of people ripping off my work and ****ing around with it either, or worse yet 'modifying' it into their own characters. I can see your point, but it doesn't sit well with me.
Huh? What part of his point doesn't sit well with you?

Sho Nuff

Banned
ZombieSupaStar said:
lol they need to rip models from smackdown and raw......

oh god thatd rock

After seeing what GAF has done with photoshop alone in that other thread I'm not so sure about that idea

DavidDayton said:
Use this with the FabAtHome project and kits... "print" out 3D models and figurines directly from game models!

Actually, the fabrication thing is pretty neat; I hadn't any idea such things were possible for consumer use at the moment.

Woohoo
Finally I can get a decent figure of Link and Samus!

Ronok

dock UK said:

I don't see what your problem with it is.. Your models aren't going to suddenly appear in countless games on store shelves without your knowledge... All it means is people can view your models to try to get a better understanding of the process that goes into creating game content.. I know it's going to help me out as I find that a lot of the models available online for free (the only price I can afford at the moment) have a lot of problems and really aren't helping me at all....

Ronok said:
I don't see what your problem with it is.. Your models aren't going to suddenly appear in countless games on store shelves without your knowledge... All it means is people can view your models to try to get a better understanding of the process that goes into creating game content.. I know it's going to help me out as I find that a lot of the models available online for free (the only price I can afford at the moment) have a lot of problems and really aren't helping me at all....

He doesn't want his work tampered with and only wants it shown in the context of the game he worked on or under his own personal control / supervision. I feel the exact same way with the work I'm doing.

Mason

I'm confused; how are you guys ripping Nintendo characters from games if this is for DX9 games?

And if you can import the models into Garry's Mod....holy shit that could make for some fun.

As a 3D modeller I can see how people will either love or hate their work being taken and placed into other things, it all depends how much of a bitch that person is about it and I can relate to it. Personally I would not want my work placed into other games if I spent hours upon hours on it.

But on the other end of the stick you get to have a laugh seeing your work getting knifed by donald duck in counter strike, and I laugh at a lot of things easily.

shuri

Banned
Hilarious, considering 100% of modelers started to learn how to model when they were teenagers using ripped textures, stolen 3d models for 'models depot' sites and cracked versions of 3d software. Cry me a river; let those kids cut their teeths, who cares, you got paid already; and its not even your model, it's the company's models.

Jacobi

Banned
ant1532 said:
That looks freaking amazing.

Can someone please make Bowser from Super Mario 64 but updated?
Um it wouldn't work like that :lol

That Gary's mod pic gives me the creeps

shuri said:
Hilarious, considering 100% of modelers started to learn how to model when they were teenagers using ripped textures, stolen 3d models for 'models depot' sites and cracked versions of 3d software. Cry me a river; let those kids cut their teeths, who cares, you got paid already; and its not even your model, it's the company's models.
Well said.

woxel1

shuri said:
07808-4.jpg

"It's only a model."

Damn I need that TP Model of Link that's ****ing awesome. If anyone has it I would consider you a prince if you were to pass it along.

Ronok

He doesn't want his work tampered with and only wants it shown in the context of the game he worked on or under his own personal control / supervision. I feel the exact same way with the work I'm doing.

What? Why? You don't want it tampered with? Because someone might make it look worse? It's not going to reflect poorly on you.... As far as I'm aware those who model something don't have complete control over how it's tampered with anyway within there own company... They make a model to the best of there ability and pass it down the line to be rigged and animated.... This isn't taking into account the textures that someone else worked on etc......

If I'm being completely honest these people should be flattered that someone thinks there work is good enough to take time out of there life studying..... Damn that means your pretty talented..... :-/

It's comparable to a sculpter finishing his work of art calling it a masterpiece and locking it away so no one can have a look..... It's stupid really.....

Only people who should be worried is companies legal departments who might have to stop them appearing in other peoples games......

This post isn't really well structured or anything, but, they are my random thoughts on the matter.

On a slightly unrelated note, I just realised I don't have any games installed that I can actually do this with. ; ; PSO uses something that detects 3rd party software and FFXI I'm not willing to get banned. lol

Yarr

Banned
This reminds me of when someone figured out how to get the Final Fantasy XI models into 3D Studio Max and we ended up with cool images like these.

Mikey-earth.jpg

Tal-2Dragons-FINAL.jpg

hahaa this reminds me of the guy on these forums a couple years ago that took the DOA girls (I think) and made hilarious scenarios (including a mountain of their lifeless bodies) out of them w/ some 3D model program. :lol

Top Bottom