• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Rōnin | OT | Gaming Edo Age Forums

Trying to see how long I last against the local authorities and having an absolute blast:

5UT3qZx.jpg

Anyone got the platinum? I’m 2 trophies away but the allies one kind of puts me off. I’m assuming you have to replay all missions that have choices so that you have access to them through the subsequent narratives? Is there a way to track who’s missing?

There are 32 allies. IIRC you can check your Bonds screen and then hit L1 or L2 to select Allies and it’ll list all of them, so just count them up.

I don’t know of any way to track the allies you have been on a mission with, but the trophy is tracked, so you can see how many of the 32 you still need to be on a mission with.

You can just pick a mission and walk up to the first flag and change your allies over and over, it counts and takes no time. Then each time you swap for a new two, check the trophy and see if you made progress.

There are a couple of missions where you can make choices that give or remove an ally, the ToS shows the choices and alternate paths.

Reactions: Isa
I wasn't expecting to fight Ivy in this game lol, so good. Also, this level was straight out of Sekiro:

VvN8rZz.jpg

40 hours in now, I continue to be blown away by just how many combat animations this game has, it's kind of crazy. I'm likewise surprised at how many Bonds there are, Team Ninja put a whole lot of thought and effort into Ronin and it absolutely shows, in time I believe this game will be regarded as an underappreciated gem.

SJRB

Gold Member
I'm at the later stage in Edo and it is overwhelming how many new characters the game keeps dunking on me. There's just no way to care about any of them at this point. The whole bond mechanic is just one big wtf - after all this time I'm still not sure if it is really deep or just windowdressing. What is even the point, aside from unlocking some stances.

I gotta be honest here, this game is too long. The game is clearly ramping up to a finale in Edo and moving to Kyoto and the thought of doing another whole new region sounds exhausting at this point. I'm usually able to play about two hours a day and my save file says I've been playing for 60 hours but honestly it feels like I've been playing this game for 200 hours. Yeah yeah shogunate, sure I'll kill some arsonists, o yeah sure I'll join your fucking tournament for you and defeat all these people, o yeah I will single handedly raise a literal army because you asked me to, sure buddy no problem. The lengths I'm going through just to find my blade twin is getting pretty ridiculous.

I'm still enjoying myself but I've reached a point where the loot game has completely dried up, there are no new outfit unlocks, the skill tree is mostly done and the story is completely lost on me. Doesn't help that the asshole in the fedora just literally says he's using me as a pawn and will keep asking favors of me. I mean, surely at some point it is warranted I just shoot him in the fucking face.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I put about 5 hours into it and the plot is the worst part. The combat and boss fights have been fun. Just fought the twin and that was enjoyable. The dialogue is what I’m skipping. If I could take one thing out of this game it would have been the character building because that’s the least enjoyable part.

It’s weird cause I’ve played JRPGs and games like Dynasty Warriors for years. I still have culture shock when it comes to this era. There’s a very bland feeling to exploring the cities.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Man Im liking the game but its feeling a little tedious. Honestly I think I just need to take a break... i put 90 hours into Rebirth, then immediately started Dragons Dogma and put about 90 hours into that, then went right in to this lol. Thats a shitload of open world 3rd person sword fighting lol. I think Im just fatigued and then we got Stellar Blade coming up. Might put this on ice for a little bit and come back to it later. I dont think its bad at all its just a little bloated and im burned.

Last edited:

Isa

Man Im liking the game but its feeling a little tedious. Honestly I think I just need to take a break... i put 90 hours into Rebirth, then immediately started Dragons Dogma and put about 90 hours into that, then went right in to this lol. Thats a shitload of open world 3rd person sword fighting lol. I think Im just fatigued and then we got Stellar Blade coming up. Might put this on ice for a little bit and come back to it later. I dont think its bad at all its just a little bloated and im burned.
That's sounds good. Honestly you're pretty tough, I can't do that anymore without a palette cleanser in between these days. Plenty of time to go back to it later.

55 hours, Edo 100% clear, good way into Kyoto, *still* discovering new assassination animations, thought I'd seen it all. Hopelessly addicted to photo mode, here are a handful of favourites:

NYdiXGL.jpg
WAvz8fu.jpg
0j03bog.jpg
fk7cDTj.jpg
YVzl1GY.jpg

I've said it before but I'll say it again, the combat in this game is absolutely god-tier. The dismemberment is more satisfying than it has any right to be, never gets old and there have been so many contextual moments where let's say I'll be fighting on stairs and I'll slice off a hand that goes flying over the railing or chopping off a head that's positioned juuuuust right over a boulder. So many great story missions and boss battles, highly recommend controlling your allies on missions where they are available, they all seem to have at least 1 unique attack you won't see anywhere else.

SJRB

Gold Member
Good lord the final Edo bits and the entirety of Kyoto are just back to back bossfights.

Story is getting pretty bad, at this point we're literally fighting everyone.

Platinum number 102 🏆

bCHogCp.jpeg

Flawed but great, I've already written enough about the game, last 10 hours didn't change my opinions but I'll add a few thoughts below. I loved it enough to go for the plat trophy, happy I picked it up sooner rather than later and hope the sales are good enough for Team Ninja to consider it a success.

As an open-world comparable to Ghost of Tsushima I'd still give Ghost the edge and I ultimately enjoyed it more. As something with combat like Sekiro with similar parry/stealth mechanics Sekiro still wins, that game is an absolute masterpiece. As something that is an evolution of the last couple of Team Ninja games I'd put it ahead of Wo-Long and equal to Nioh 2 overall though I prefer the supernatural elements of that series more.

I get the impression Team Ninja wanted this to be their RDR2 (that's aiming *real* high lol). The game is grand in scope and ambitious with it's myriad mechanics and gameplay systems, it's just not executed to nearly the same degree as something like R* finest. As a first attempt at a sprawling open-world epic though? Mighty fine work indeed despite the jank, last-gen visuals etc. Beyond the glorious combat the narrative really sets this game apart, I've found myself Googling many of it's characters to learn more about the real history, it's fascinating stuff.

In closing props to Team Ninja, I'd really love for them to tackle dark fantasy ala Souls in their next title building off all the gameplay systems from their last few games though I'd happily accept a third Nioh game too, let's see what happens.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I’m playing this for the combat because the missions aren’t bad. This could have worked had they crafted a more wholesome experience. I look back on my Ghost of Tsushima playthrough and that game has a much better plot, better characters, and is much more rewarding with progression. Rise of the Ronin has pretty good combat, some interesting bosses (although these hulk type all feel the same), and decent landscapes. If the combat was bad in this game I wouldn’t have bothered with it. It has been more of a chore exploring the map than GoT was. I made it to Edo and the story has been more of a history lesson than anything else. I’ve also noticed boss battles are so much easier when all you got to do is switch to the other character when the boss starts to attack. It’s entertaining enough to keep playing, but I wouldn’t recommend anyone going out and paying $70 for it.

Last edited:

Pelao

I just finished it after 72 hours.
I liked it a ton. Sure, it doesn't have the production values of Ghost of Tsushima or an Assassin's Creed game, which can be a valid criticism for a product with a triple A price tag, but Team Ninja's gameplay is simply too good and in my opinion blows the competition out of the water, and it's what ends up holding the whole experience together.
There were some historical changes that didn't make much sense, but overall, if you like the time period, it's an interesting condensed version of the Bakumatsu. Also, I'm excited about that Republic of Ezo tease at the end and hopefully it's DLC that won't take too long to come out.

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I just finished it after 72 hours.
I liked it a ton. Sure, it doesn't have the production values of Ghost of Tsushima or an Assassin's Creed game, which can be a valid criticism for a product with a triple A price tag, but Team Ninja's gameplay is simply too good and in my opinion blows the competition out of the water, and it's what ends up holding the whole experience together.
There were some historical changes that didn't make much sense, but overall, if you like the time period, it's an interesting condensed version of the Bakumatsu. Also, I'm excited about that Republic of Ezo tease at the end and hopefully it's DLC that won't take too long to come out.
You can tell team ninja put a lot of love into this game.

I’ll be honest I’d suck anyone at that offices dick for a new ninja gaiden as their next title.

Straight up. Head is on the table.

Top Bottom