• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SIE Korea announced that it will not be releasing Rise of the Ronin in South Korea (more details in the OP)

kevm3

Lame. I’m so done with all these culture wars. It’s just fiction with light history references. It’s just videogames. Get over it.

Let's release a game where the Nazis are the heroes and see how well that goes over.

Japan has a very shaky history with a lot of its Asian neighbors for a reason. It's easy to say that it's just a game when it's not your history. Just read up on Unit 731 to get an idea of some of the things that the Japanese were doing

Lame. I’m so done with all these culture wars. It’s just fiction with light history references. It’s just videogames. Get over it.
Mr Rogers Clown GIF

Eotheod

This is almost as helpful as the guy who made fun of Wikipedia.

The Encyclopedia Britannica has almost nothing to say about Yoshida Shoin either.

It is fascinating how difficult it is to find anything of substance, with actual sources and not just hearsay.

The NamuWiki link was super helpful. Check out their page on Yoshida Shoin, it's bang on with all the relevant details. I'm happy now.
Yeah there has been a lot of hiding of Japan's historical imperialism past, which is crazy to think about. I'm not jumping to "oh my gosh total blackout" kind of conspiracy shit, as Koreans still alive today had to go through that horrific shit and no doubt are telling their stories. It is just very "mind blowing" in a way to see not much of literature mentions the horrific history.

Shame. From my experiences, some Korean people can be some of the most racist and sensitive people Ive come across
I am not exactly sure what you are trying to state with this comment? That the game should be released because some Koreans you have entangled with are racist and sensitive (I am assuming "woke" or such here) so therefore all are?

Last edited:

AGRacing

Great Q1 shaping up for PlayStation in S.Korea!! They'll be able to use the Youtube app to check out all the best new releases.

near

Gold Member
Googling Yoshida Shoin and Jeonghan Theory literally only gets me results about this game and his wikipedia article doesn't seem to mention anything about it. So I'm completely ignorant on the matter. But taking the tweet as correct, a scholar "advocating" for militaristic conquest and a world leader actually doing it while committing genocide aren't remotely comparable.

If someone can actually give me any information on what this guy did that was so horrific I would be thankful. It seems to me like the tweet is pinning it all on this one comment while wider issues might be in play.
He was sort of the father of Japanese imperialism and fought for that until he was executed. Upon he's death, some of he's students carried out he's legacy. A book was published during the end of the 1800s by some geezer called Tokutomi Soho, a prominent writer and opinion leader at the time, that praised Yoshida Shion as a revolutionary, and pushed nationalist views for a Great Japan. The sentiment was shared by many and as a result, Yoshida Shion's students took prominent roles in the Meiji government. The Japanese don't see him as a villain at all. But the rest of Asia? A completely different opinion is held. He's teachings and works led to their suffering.

This is actually a pretty good read if you want to know about him from a Japanese perspective:

Here is a video that also might help:

This write-up compliments the video:

Key:
Seikanron - Advocacy of a punitive expedition to Korea
Joseon - the last dynastic kingdom of Korea
Ito Hirobumi - student of Yoshida Shoin who led Japanese occupation of Korea

killatopak

It’s easy to forget these things when you’re not one affected.

There are still comfort women in my country doing demonstrations at the Japanese embassy. People who have living relatives who walked the Death March.

Personally, my grandparents lived during the occupation but never even mentioned or told any stories to me about them when they were still alive. I imagine they didn’t want to dig up old wounds.

On one hand, I feel like too much time has passed already but at the same time I’m not the one who lived those days so who am I to talk.

I never understood how Japan was so very unable to admit their errors unlike Germans who were certainly forced by their defeat, but ultimately took the burden of the history they commited. Its neighbors are not afraid anymore, even more so after the cold war ended and Germany's war/defence stuff certainly shrunk.
Poland did not freak out when Scholz announced that (for American standards still small) extra budget for Germany's army. France and Germany get along in the EU, much more than either ever did with UK. Israel has at least good official relations with Germany (I don't know about other nations' support, but supporting Israel against a potential invasion is a boots on the ground case for them. At least until it really get's reality and it would need to be sold to the general public, who don't actually care as much about past guilt and it's a spoken promise, ie. no contract whatsoever to my knowledge.)
Overall Germany did undeniably horrible things but did not really deny it. Many pretended to not know after, but in general I think most knew what they elected and what they enabled. It's even law, so even if you want do deny, you better don't. Japan is weird and kinda terrible by not at least admitting what their ancestors did, it's not even really them anymore anyway. Kinda contradicts their whole honor act when being so cowardly about truth.

Time could heal it, but if the reason of a deep grudge is not truly admitted by the offender, I think it should not actually be forgiven, and certainly not forgotten.
I am not sure about the situation. Are Japanese trying to keep it under the rug, or would some official, any politician, face public anger if they symbolically atone for the past? Or have there been some, so generally the people allow it, it was just not enough, not high enough, to truly make peace with the affected countries? Isn't Japan hurting itself with keeping some weird nationalistic pride about their failed expansion and glorified remembrance of heros and supposed great minds when all their neighbors are kinda fuming and cooperation is possibly sometimes hindered?

Yeah, just a short couple of decades after this game the Queen of Korea was gang raped and burned alive by Japanese military for trying to resist their imperialist aims. The distasteful issue is that this game is going to depict all of these influential Japanese leaders as handsome heroes when many of them were literally monsters.

Yeah, I'll get the game later after some price cuts. I liked Kenshin also which is set in the Meiji Restoration. To the Japanese, that's an extremely complex time period where they acknowledge the great achievement of resisting western imperialism by rapidly transforming their entire country while still trying to preserve some of their old feudal culture. That's not all bad. But to China and Korea especially, it would be like watching the birth of the ideology of Hitler portrayed with Hollywood actors and glamorous action cutscenes. And that's particularly sensitive for Koreans because literally their main point of disagreement to this day is anger about Japanese tendency to not acknowledge the extent that these things happened and to brush it under the rug.
Well said; this sums up my own feelings quite nicely.

Personally, I'm looking forward to this game since the time period in Japanese history is so interesting. You essentially went from an isolationist, feudal society to one that embraced rapid technological advancements due to forced contact with Western powers. I'm also a longtime fan of Rurouni Kenshin (specifically, the Trust and Betrayal OVAs), so that's another thing it has going for it.

It really is shameful that they chose to place a figure that preached such harmful ideology on a pedestal. Paired with Japan's weird tendency to ignore past transgressions, it's a very bad look for them. I'm hoping his teachings play a minor role in the game and that most of the focus is on an "adapt with the times or die" mindset, but I won't hold my breath. I understand Sony's decision on this.

Kokoloko85

I never understood how Japan was so very unable to admit their errors unlike Germans who were certainly forced by their defeat, but ultimately took the burden of the history they commited. Its neighbors are not afraid anymore, even more so after the cold war ended and Germany's war/defence stuff certainly shrunk.

How many other nations, religions and ideologies do you see that admit to there mistakes?

Does the USA admit to the horrors they done to the Native people and to the South Americans? Does the UK teach children in school how they raped multiple nations? And caused multiple wars?

Growing up as ex half muslim half christian in the UK, I can say they didnt mention anything about the atrocities in schools and still try to defends themselves to this day. And idolise someone like Churchhill.

Do muslims and Christians admit to massacring millions and millions of people for centuries, wiping out smaller religions in the name of God and even in the recent century doing the same some extent. And now when people criticise them, they say people should be respectful and they are peaceful… They had no respect for human life before.
Do jews get blamed for being involved In most international slave trades?

Do communist supporters admit to what there leaders have done in Cuba, South America, in Asia and other nations? Or do the make a lame excuses….

How many of these received 2 atomic bombs? Only the Germans have been made to pay for what they had done and the other europeans treated the normal german people Like scum for a long time.

Its either in the past for everyone and the normal people shouldnt have to feel shame for what there previous powers have done, or we can start equally judging everyone for there past mistakes. I dont see the others admitting to what they have done, maybe thats why the Japanese dont either.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

I am not exactly sure what you are trying to state with this comment? That the game should be released because some Koreans you have entangled with are racist and sensitive (I am assuming "woke" or such here) so therefore all are?

I think they should leave the past in the past if everyone else is doing the same. Its not some Ive entangled with, maybe not the new generation, but there was a racist ideology in more than some Koreans in Korea. Of course they arent as invasive as other nations in history, but they should work on the relations with Japan as the new generation are

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Do the Japanese frequently act insensitive to what happened? I know there has been a lot of tension over them even just acknowledging what they did.
I'm no history buff, but going by what I remember reading about Japan way back, their current image of super polite, well educated, suit and tie business people in skyscrapers is a relatively modern era thing. After they got their asses kicked in by the US in WWII it seemed they did a 180 and slowly became the image they are today.

Go back to the WWII era and they were total savages in wars doing Frankenstein torture to POWs, raiding China and shit like that.

They got a knack for not telling the whole story.

On the plus side googling it, it looks like Koreans celebrate liberation from Japan.

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member

But they can in North korea?

pasterpl

Japan attacked and occupied multiple Asian nations, they committed multiple war crimes during these occupations, also they were allies with nazi Germany. I know it is history, but I am European, from one of the countries that suffered most during 2nd World War (nazis). It is still in memory of most people in my country. I have got very negative opinion about Japanese because of that.

kevm3

I think they should leave the past in the past if everyone else is doing the same. Its not some Ive entangled with, maybe not the new generation, but there was a racist ideology in more than some Koreans in Korea. Of course they arent as invasive as other nations in history, but they should work on the relations with Japan as the new generation are

lol leave the 'past the past' when a game is coming out that glorifies an ideology that caused an immense amount of suffering in their nation?

There are racist Jewish people out there, just as there are racists in every race. Should they 'leave the past in the past' if a game that glorifies nazism came out and made them the hero? How do you think black people would react if a game came out that glorifies segregationists?

There's a reason a lot of Asian nations have a sour attitude towards Japan. It's easy to say 'get over it' when it's not your history. Japan occupied Korea as recently as 1910-1945, so their relationship with Japan isn't merely 'ancient history'.

A lot of folks love Japan because they make anime, fun videogames, great vehicles, etc., but they've committed a ton of attrocities in the region. Simply telling the people on the receiving end to simply 'get over it' especially when Japan refuses to admit to and apologize for many of them is not the answer.

Kokoloko85

lol leave the 'past the past' when a game is coming out that glorifies an ideology that caused an immense amount of suffering in their nation?

There are racist Jewish people out there, just as there are racists in every race. Should they 'leave the past in the past' if a game that glorifies nazism came out and made them the hero? How do you think black people would react if a game came out that glorifies segregationists?

There's a reason a lot of Asian nations have a sour attitude towards Japan. It's easy to say 'get over it' when it's not your history. Japan occupied Korea as recently as 1910-1945, so their relationship with Japan isn't merely 'ancient history'.
Its not glorifying it, the game is about Japanese factions dealing with Shogun, the western influence and the emperor. And who to side with.
Its not the same as Nazism being the hero lmao.

A lot of folks love Japan because they make anime, fun videogames, great vehicles, etc., but they've committed a ton of attrocities in the region. Simply telling the people on the receiving end to simply 'get over it' especially when Japan refuses to admit to and apologize for many of them is not the answer.

Let me know when everyone boycotts American or western media Because of the atrocities they have done. Or people ban Christians, Muslims and Jews because of the millions and millions of murdered committed.
Let me know when woke people admit to the atrocities communists have committed.

Call me when Korea stops taking imports from China. Let me know when China admits to what they have and are doing…

Its not about loving Japan, its about who hasnt commited Crimes. Its funny how poeple just want to jump on Japan. When others have done far worse and never admit to it or even glorify it more than the Japanese.
Ever heard of the Bodo league massacre… Theres some Korean on Korean crime for you With plenty of denial and lies.

Moonjt9

I live in Korea. My wife’s grandmother grew up under Japanese colonial rule. This shit isn’t like hundreds of years ago or something. There are millions alive still that actually experienced Japanese occupation. That actually experienced punishment for speaking their own language. That actually experienced getting their culture, and even their own names stamped out.

I think any ill-will Korean gamers have toward this game’s setting, plot, characters, and especially its creator’s words about its inspiration is ENTIRELY understandable.

SoSola

Banned
Growing up as ex half muslim half christian in the UK, I can say they didnt mention anything about the atrocities in schools and still try to defends themselves to this day. And idolise someone like Churchhill.

Do muslims and Christians admit to massacring millions and millions of people for centuries, wiping out smaller religions in the name of God and even in the recent century doing the same some extent. And now when people criticise them, they say people should be respectful and they are peaceful… They had no respect for human life before.
Do jews get blamed for being involved In most international slave trades?

Where are you getting millions from as if there's been 10s of millions of deaths from religious conflict? The only ideologies that have killed that many millions have been secular and political ideologies such Communism and Nazism for example.

Also why would Christians admit to something in the current century they haven't done? The only ideologies responsible for most current century genocides are Islam and Communism which is atheist in its dogma.

This "religion is responsible for most conflicts" claim is a myth btw. The Encyclopedia of Wars refuted this.

Only 6.7% of wars throughout human history have been religious war. The rest were all secular and even in some of the religious wars such as the crusades, much of it was also political or involved empire building. The crusades is often cited as the "deadliest" religious war with 1 million casualties estimated by most historians...that is not even 1% compared to the death toll from the Three Kingdoms War which is estimated to be between 36 million to 40 or the death toll of the Mongolian invasions and conquests which is estimated to be around the same. Both death tolls nothing compared to the death tolls from Nazi and Communist atrocities carried out in a mere few decades...

So yeah, in comparison to secular ideology, Christianity is peaceful.

And no Jews don't get blamed for international slavery because most of it was initiated by Europeans who were the ones who started the Atlantic Slave Trade.

Wait until you hear about the fuss people make over comments about this guy who died 2000 years ago…

Difference is we won't cancel you, attack you or kill you. Not sure if we can say the same about atheists anymore as there's been several recent Church and school shootings carried out by atheists.

Kaleinc

Banned
You can always say something like that with enough distance.
Based on your comment I assume you are neither Korean nor Japanese?
Neither am I, but I can understand that this topic is complex and can be important for certain people & cultures.
Besides, how does this decision affect you?
There is nothing complex. Everyone who hates Japan can choose not to buy, the rest can buy or not

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Really do not care.

Its an interesting historical period that's not often referenced.

Yes, I know about the historical grievances between the Koreans and the Japanese, but again, do not care!

Its Japanese people telling a story about Japanese history.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
People try to make stuff black and white. Something or someone has a bad element associated with it. Burn it all to the ground. Not a speck remains. If anyone references it, burn them to the ground too. If you think someone is thinking about this thing or person, burn them to the ground, even though you might have been mistaken and they are just constipated.

Raonak

Banned
Fair enough, imperial japan was just as bad if not worse than the nazis.

Such a shame that so much of human history is filled with bloodshed.

WitchHunter

Banned

Yeah, but it gave them a backbone. Now look what is happening in some other countries. If you see that your country is hopeless, just declare war against Japan, let them conquer your country, they gonna weed out the weaklings, gonna spend a few dozen years on top of you, but later on it will result in a better overall health of your society. :lollipop_pouting:

FunkMiller

Gold Member

Imperial Japan certainly treated enemy combatants much, much worse than the Germans. The Japanese culture of shame meant that they saw being captured as the most disgusting thing you could let happen to yourself. Hence why they treated the allied POWs like animals. In contrast, allied soldiers were often pretty well treated by their German captors. Especially the officer caste.

The Nazi butchering of six million innocent non-combatant Jews in such a short space of time, by such a factory line procedure, is unparalleled though, by any other force in human history.

Last edited:

consoul

Soul Calibur 1 changed samurai Mitsurugi to Arthur a blonde western looking swordsman for the Korean release. Arthur became his own separate character in Soul Calibur 3.
Came to post this. I have the Korean arcade board of Soul Calibur 1 which includes Arthur who is definitely from Britain and not a samurai at all.

aeBxMPC.jpg

The blonde hair wasn't fooling anyone, so they gave him an eyepatch as well. Outstanding move.

Last edited:
Top Bottom