• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Ronin | Launch Trailer Released

mansoor1980

Gold Member
rise of the LOD POP IN,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

teach these developers a lesson cerny

x6eEgQ6.gif

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Remember folks, the game can be one of the most fun games of all time, but if it doesn’t have top of the line graphics it isn’t worth playing.

Shame Facepalm GIF by MOODMAN
Its not just the shit graphics, the entire open world looks bland, lifeless and uninspired. There looks to be nothing engaging or immersive about it. It should be a linear game. Open worlds need to be immersive and inspired.

Last edited:

blue velvet

Have a feeling this game ain't gonna be hot, it doesn't help that it looks janky as hell. Once DD2 comes out it would be forgotten and I'm not even trying to hate on the game.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Curious if Ronin is locked 60 at the expense of graphics. People seem to be changing their tune on DD2 unstable 30....dirty graphics whores 🤣😅

Both look fun but I'm leaning towards Ronin. DD2 just seems to big for me to tackle as summer approaches. Might have to hold off until Winter 2024.

gtabro

Remember folks, the game can be one of the most fun games of all time, but if it doesn’t have top of the line graphics it isn’t worth playing.

Shame Facepalm GIF by MOODMAN
It's Team Ninja. For better or worse they have been doing the same game since Ni-oh: slashy-slashy combat (i.e. 0 weight for any weapon) and 3 frames per animation for any attack. People with nerves of steel or ADHD probably love these games hence why they sell, but for me it's a no-no. Now garnish this meal with these top of the line PS3 graphics and you can see why not many people are overly-excited :)

EDMIX

I'm not going to lie, this game looks like that long lost PS3 game we never got....remastered in 4K lol

I'll still get it as I keep a open mind about all things. I'm there for the story and gameplay and its ok if its doesn't look the most next gen or something.

Semi OT, remember when Ninja Gaiden released for the XB and it was like, next gen before next gen?

Who the fuck would have thought THAT was the best the team could do....thats it, that is the peak, everything after remains pretty much exactly like that with almost zero forward progression lol

Lokaum D+

I'm not going to lie, this game looks like that long lost PS3 game we never got....remastered in 4K lol

I'll still get it as I keep a open mind about all things. I'm there for the story and gameplay and its ok if its doesn't look the most next gen or something.

Semi OT, remember when Ninja Gaiden released for the XB and it was like, next gen before next gen?

Who the fuck would have thought THAT was the best the team could do....thats it, that is the peak, everything after remains pretty much exactly like that with almost zero forward progression lol
98F83EDD0695DD550F4ADCEDCB16541BAA61DF41

Borowski_1

Its not just the shit graphics, the entire open world looks bland, lifeless and uninspired. There looks to be nothing engaging or immersive about it. It should be a linear game. Open worlds need to be immersive and inspired.
are you talking about Ghost of Tsushima?

Skifi28

are you talking about Ghost of Tsushima?
Kinda have to agree here. The open world is Tushima looked nice, but it was completely dead outside of missions. The best you could hope for was find the occasional bear or a Mongol patrol. In Ronin you can actually see some NPCs traveling and doing their thing, so it's probably going to be livelier and feel more immersive despite the worse visuals.

Last edited:

Oberstein

I can't wait to fight Commodore Matthew Perry, a historical figure who apparently spoke fluent Japanese and fought one-on-two using his sword and pistol in back-flips.

Just look at him. He doesn't seem like it, but he had incredible moves in combat.

Commodore_Matthew_Calbraith_Perry.png

No, seriously, I can't wait!

Last edited:

Blindy

Red flag when Team Ninja isn't giving a demo of this game. They did with this Wo Long, Stranger of Paradise and both NiOh's but not this?

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions

Some direct quotes:

"I dont want to write it off completely, but so far, this open world and its structures feel old... Like 1-2 generations old"

"We've all played a number of games that have done this stuff better, with more rewarding exploration, with richer narrative, with a more diverse suite of open world activities and with less repetition"

"The open world is very played out, and by the numbers"

"Think FarCry, Japan"

"Felt like I was playing Team Ninja's version of Ghosts of Tsuhima, rather than a unique game built from the ground up"

"It really is just a bunch of bandit camps waiting to be liberated" (the open world)

"Outside of clearing camps, the only other thiings I found in the open world were cats I could pet, and banners I could unlock" (fast travel markers)

... hype!

/s

Some studios should just stick to linear games man. Open worlds are simply not for everyone, thats why there are so many generic ones out there.

This PS3 era open world open world just ruined what could have been a linear game with an engaging story and super tight combat.

Last edited:
Honestly, the graphics in of themselves look ok to me, but the animations seem behind the curve by a big margin. Rather disappointing IMO. But it does looks fun.

Lokaum D+

Some direct quotes:

"I dont want to write it off completely, but so far, this open world and its structures feel old... Like 1-2 generations old"
As 99% open world nowadays do, but now its a problem.
"We've all played a number of games that have done this stuff better, with more rewarding exploration, with richer narrative, with a more diverse suite of open world activities and with less repetition"
Again, 99% of open world feels the same and how can he judge narrative when he just played TWO missions.
"The open world is very played out, and by the numbers"
OK, all already said that 99% of .. never mind
"Think FarCry, Japan"
Thats not bad at all
"Felt like I was playing Team Ninja's version of Ghosts of Tsuhima, rather than a unique game built from the ground up"
So, another japanese assasins creed ? sign me in
"It really is just a bunch of bandit camps waiting to be liberated" (the open world)
Do you know the definition of insanity ?
"Outside of clearing camps, the only other thiings I found in the open world were cats I could pet, and banners I could unlock" (fast travel markers).
No one had a problem when you had to sit and write haikus ( even if 99% of the ppl didnt even knew what a haiku was ) or pet the fox between clearing mongols camps, now this is a problem.

All this quotes from a guys that said that DMC5 is a "button mesh" for braindeads.

Last edited:
Honestly, the graphics in of themselves look ok to me, but the animations seem behind the curve by a big margin. Rather disappointing IMO. But it does looks fun.
Animations in combat look pretty good imo. Typical Team Ninja. They convey enemy attacks and patterns pretty well.

Maybe I am not looking where animations are not upto mark I dunno.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I’m playing the NG collection as of late and I shit you not NG1 on there still looks better than NG3.

Itigakis departure ruined them.
And Devil's Third is a superior game to NG3.

I couldn't believe how bad NG3 is. Legitimately shocking to me.

Hudo

I want a new Dead or Alive Xtreme Beach Volleyball with all the jiggle physics and physically impossible bikinis possible.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
And Devil's Third is a superior game to NG3.

I couldn't believe how bad NG3 is. Legitimately shocking to me.
Since you played NG3, what’s so bad about it?

Maybe I didn’t pay enough attention on release what it did wrong but I’m playing NG3 in the collection and actually loving it.

Bry0

I’m gonna make kasumi in the character creator like I did in nioh 2. This is going to be the best (breast?) dead or alive game I’ve ever played.

Last edited:

Aion002

What a terrible launch trailer, specially compared to Nioh 2 and Wo Long launch trailers:

It really shows the difference between games focused on gameplay and one focused on story.

I was going to buy day one, but with DD2 being released on the same day, plus I am not even near finishing FFVII Rebirth, I think I will wait for a sale.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Since you played NG3, what’s so bad about it?

Maybe I didn’t pay enough attention on release what it did wrong but I’m playing NG3 in the collection and actually loving it.
Just thought it was a massive step back in terms of overall quality and gameplay. The environments looked goofy as hell to me, movement felt bad, combat felt bad.

Granted, I went in expecting a total gem because I had read somewhere that NG3 was pretty bad but the WiiU version was the definitive version that addressed all the issues. So I went into NG3 after thoroughly enjoying Devils Third and I was shocked at what I was playing. I only made it a few hours in before dropping it. Maybe my expectations were too high. I do plan on going back to it at some point though.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
SkillUp's (way too long, as are all his videos) impressions didn't really change my thoughts on the game one way or the other. It was never a title I was super excited about. I'm interested in it, but not chomping at the bit for it. In general, I tire of open world games unless they do something fresh and it feels like this will be one that has good combat and gameplay, but the typical open world stuff. Not necessarily bad, but may not be a day one buy for me.

I'm still torn on if it'll be a day one buy for me. If Alone in the Dark turns out to be really good, I may buy that and put off Ronin for when it goes on sale.

so much of what's now going on has to do with staff changes/replacements. the studio's name remains the same, but the products become, well, 'inconsistent' in quality. much more so than the products of, say, a sausage company doing the same staff changes/replacements...

of course, it really doesn't help things when the studio's products actually begin to resemble, more'n'more, the sausage company products...

Lunarorbit

What a terrible launch trailer, specially compared to Nioh 2 and Wo Long launch trailers:

It really shows the difference between games focused on gameplay and one focused on story.

I was going to buy day one, but with DD2 being released on the same day, plus I am not even near finishing FFVII Rebirth, I think I will wait for a sale.

Holyshit, I've never seen footage of nioh 2.

Wow. I've been slowly playing sekiro so one day ill have to jump on the nioh train. The character design and color selection was great

I'm hoping for a demo or time trial.
I wasn't really into Nioh or Wo Long, but this sounds more n00b friendly.
So this might be the Team Ninja game that wins me over.

Top Bottom