• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider Cutscenes are 1440*1080, not 900p

Kezen

Banned
http://powerupgaming.co.uk/2015/11/06/crystal-dynamics-clarifies-rise-of-the-tomb-raiders-resolution-cutscenes-not-true-1080p/

Game director Brian Horton reached out to Power Up Gaming earlier today to clarify that cutscenes in the game will be rendered at 1440 x 1080, not the 900p we previously reported via gaming outlet Gamersyde. This rather unorthodox resolution offers an eight per cent resolution improvement over 900p, as well as limiting upscaling to the horizontal axis.

Gameplay is 1080p.

cutscenes in the game will be rendered at 1440 x 1080, not the 900p
tumblr_nf80kpOhc11u0ri92o1_400.gif
huh?

I wish cut scenes in all games were 720p it would save a lot of download time and space on the HDD, and furthermore it's a cut scene who cares.

Sami+

I wish cut scenes in all games were 720p it would save a lot of download time and space on the HDD, and furthermore it's a cut scene who cares.

uh anyone who wants the cutscenes to not look like ass probably cares

btw rendering resolution of cutscenes has zero effect on HDD space

tuxfool

Banned
uh anyone who wants the cutscenes to not look like ass probably cares

btw rendering resolution of cutscenes has zero effect on HDD space
It actually depends if your cutscenes are real time or video. Increasing the resolution of videos will take up loads of space.

TBH all games should aim for real time as video age far faster than the game around it.

see5harp

Obviously if it were simply a video, they'd be able to playback in 1080p. They are talking about in engine cutscenes.

pastrami

So this is full HD, cool. because I guess the cutscenes are not 16:9, width matters which is 1080

In case this isn't a joke, it's not Full HD, which is defined as 1920x1080. The cutscenes are still 16:9, just rendered anamorphically. So a 1440x1080 image is rendered with a 16:9 aspect ratio, then stretched horizontally to fill the 1920x1080 resolution. And last, 1080 refers to the number of vertical pixels or height, not the width.

Kezen

Banned
Is that confirmed? Ok then i'll reinstall the preload files on my Xbox One

You don't have to troll you know. We get it, resolution does not matter to you.

What will it be on my PC @ 4k?
Cutscenes have no reason to be capped at such a res on PC, they will run at the same res as gameplay for sure.

Prerendered cutscenes made games like Max Payne 3 and Hitman Absolution like 30 gigs each, so kill that shit

Back on topic, this is fine by me.

Genio88

You don't have to troll you know. We get it, resolution does not matter to you.

Cutscenes have no reason to be capped at such a res on PC, they will run at the same res as gameplay for sure.

It matters actually, but not that much to compromise the game experience, especially when it's just about a few pixels difference

Mivey

It matters actually, but not that much to compromise the game experience, especially when it's just about a few pixels difference

1920x1080 = 2073600
1440x1080 = 1555200

The difference is 518 400. I am not a native speaker, so forgive my ignorance of words for sets. "a few" is used to describe more then half a million, yes?

shinnn

So Gamersyde totally guessed the numbers? They were wrong about both vertical and horizontal resolution.

Gurish

Gameplay at 1080P is really what's important, 900P (+8%) to cut scenes is alright, most people probably wouldn't notice as the overall IQ is probably great during cut scenes.

see5harp

I don't mind prerendered cutscenes if it's an older game, where the engine couldn't possibly hope to convey the sort of animation or fidelity necessary to tell a story, but nowadays, it just bloats the size of games and takes you out of the experience. Stuff like Max Payne 3 on PC suck so much when they could have easily told the story right in engine.

Top Bottom