• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider - High-Res Screenshots

Gestault

I really hope the upgrade-based-exploration is handled well in the environment designs. I enjoyed it in the first, and not as many big-budget games take advantage of it as I would like. Yes, I'm trying to avoid the term "Metroidvania."

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
B-Oi_PuIUAAHWTk.jpg:large

This does not look like the Lara we played in the first game....I just hope that the third game won't change it further like Desmond's horrible saga in AC.

Interesting:

First game setting: A Tropical Island.

Second game setting: A Snow covered continent.

Where have i seen that before? Maybe the thrird game setting will take Lara to a globe throttling rump, among places to a Desert Land.

I liked the reboot, but it had a terrible story and cast.

In your opinion it had a terrible story and that absolutely fine, but I am sure that there are also some who thought the story were awesome ;) But in my opinion gameplay is also a little bit more important than story to me, a great example for that are the Zelda games, not all of them have story elements but there are great because of their gameplay ;)

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
That could be, but who knows ;)

I am sure it is true ;) but my sample size ;) is only GAF ;)

For what it's worth, I can't wait for this. Thinking of swapping out the PS4 for an XBO.

I am excited for it as well...if I don't own an XBO by the time it releases I may just wait for the other versions. I want to hear more about the bow though, I am not sure I like that there will be multiple bows with different attributes. Definitely prefer one bow and just upgrade the hell out of it, but maybe they have made it amaz-balls to not do so.

Compression does not make a native game non native. When you view the image in it's full resolution you can easily see the blurriness and smudged detail that indicates the game is being upscaled from a lower resolution. When I first saw footage of the Xbone version of DE, I realized there was a lack of sharpness and clarity in certain scenes, it was pretty obvious.

Not that I've played it, but I thought Digital Foundry stated the Xbone version was 1080p except for cutscenes?

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
This does not look like the Lara we played in the first game....I just hope that the third game won't change it further like Desmond's horrible saga in AC.

Well they're using a different face capture technique now.

Buc6BT7CQAEEUWo.jpg:large

I am sure it is true ;) but my sample size ;) is only GAF ;)

I am excited for it as well...if I don't own an XBO by the time it releases I may just wait for the other versions. I want to hear more about the bow though, I am not sure I like that there will be multiple bows with different attributes. Definitely prefer one bow and just upgrade the hell out of it, but maybe they have made it amaz-balls to not do so.

You should just wait :) The game is still in development and there will be sure alot of changes until release, and mybe the change the things with the bow too ;)

There are probably more people who think Zelda is awful than think Reboot story was awesome.

Ponder that.

I don't think so because the Zelda franchise excists still after 25 years ;) And this in a world where some new IP's are forgotten or irrelevant before their first release ;)

thelastword

Banned
Not that I've played it, but I thought Digital Foundry stated the Xbone version was 1080p except for cutscenes?
Yes, the concensus is 1080p gameplay and 900p cutscenes and variable.

eurogamer said:
Meanwhile the situation is more interesting on the Xbox One: the anti-aliasing solution remains unchanged, but we see the inclusion of what looks like a variable resolution framebuffer in some scenes, while some cut-scenes are rendered at a locked 900p, explaining the additional blur in some of our Xbox One screenshots. Curiously, the drop in resolution doesn't seem to occur during gameplay - it's only reserved for select cinematics - suggesting that keeping performance consistent during these sequences was a priority for Xbox One developer United Front Games.
Link:

I noticed the softer image in the IGN comparison video, I think that was out before DF did their analysis.

As for Rise of the tombraider, it maybe the same deal, but if the image where Lara is overlooking the bridge/small town is not a cutscene, then the gameplay in this version might be variable or 900p.

Pachimari

I have no problem with the face changes. Lara Croft is an icon and has evolved since the 90s.
And I might just have to buy a Xbox One if it doesn't come to PC.

Cisab

Sucks I don't have an Xbox One, I really loved the Tomb Raider reboot, but I am not buying an entire console for this one game.

Replicant

Why do this game series always have that bland, boring environment look in them? I could understood when the tech was limited to old-gen consoles but even the remake managed to turn Japan, which is a beautiful country, into a boring slab of rocks with some Shinto-inspired statues and temples spread all around the area. Such a shitty job All around and this time, it's no different.

Top Bottom